Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,432 members, 7,861,203 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 06:55 AM

For Real? How Jonathan Made Nigeria Proud In Washington Dc - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / For Real? How Jonathan Made Nigeria Proud In Washington Dc (1920 Views)

Grave Mistake Jonathan Made In War Against Boko Haram -prof Ango Abdullahi / Jonathan Made Corruption Attractive, Says Niyi Osundare / President Jonathan Made N43m And Paid N6.26m Tax In 3 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For Real? How Jonathan Made Nigeria Proud In Washington Dc by naijamini(m): 3:13am On Apr 19, 2010
Beaf:

Yar'Adua's only achievement was reading the 7 point agenda over and over and over and as slowly as if he was gonna die!

That is why I call him a pretender. It was a mixture of his health condition, a vengefuel outlook on life, religious zealotry/tribalism, and a basic not-knowing-what-it-takes-to-fulfill-his-promises problem.
Re: For Real? How Jonathan Made Nigeria Proud In Washington Dc by Kobojunkie: 3:20am On Apr 19, 2010
naijamini:

These are the things he did at the start that appeared good:
1. He laid out a 7-point agenda;
2. He acknowledged the flaw in the 2007 elections and vowed to correct it;
3. He setup an electoral reform commission;
4. He vowed to pursue the rule of law with vigour;
5. He, in theory at least, moved to curb corruption in government by directing all government transactions be conducted electronically;
6. He immediately talked about the making the NNPC commercial and asking oil companies to get their funds from the global capital market, while we direct our revenues to national development - he was aiming to stop the so-called cash calls that MNOC were using to steal Nigeria blind. This was the prelude to the PIB.
7. He talked about insecurity in the Niger Delta and sent the military to take over the militant camps, especially after military personnel were killed. He also began to talk about an amnesty program;
8. It is difficult to remember, perhaps because his performance was not that great, but Yar'adua visited many of Nigeria's traditional allies (US, Britain, etc) and received the Russian and Chinese Presidents (not too sure about who came from China).
9. He publicly declared his assets - how we enjoyed that one, which eventually forced Jonathan to declare his assests as well.

Do you understand that all of the above has little action behind it all? You have the man talking about/vowing/declaring  etc, but what about the actual DOING of any of the above, or achieving any of the many things he claimed? I ask this because I wonder if you are willing to use the phrase “good president” to qualify someone like IBB if he were to become president in 2011( God forbid bad thing) and give you something similar to the above.

naijamini:

These are what I meant by saying he started as a good president, but as they say if you start the race and don't finish it you are worse than someone who stayed away. His errors have since outweighed all these possibilities, but I will not go into them here.
We are speaking of a man that made loads of promises to the people of Katsina, and after 8 years accomplished next to nothing there too. His errors did not start piling up when he became president. . . he had tons of those before he was made president.
We quickly praised him for his deal with the Niger Delta terrorists but I believe now we know that deal was at not for the good of Nigerians. Imagine a president promising terrorists free pocket money each month, free education, not even in Nigerian schools but abroad, etc? What should we expect to be revealed next? Free health care to any hospital abroad?
Re: For Real? How Jonathan Made Nigeria Proud In Washington Dc by naijamini(m): 3:44am On Apr 19, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Do you understand that all of the above has little action behind it all? You have the man talking about/vowing/declaring  etc, but what about the actual DOING of any of the above, or achieving any of the many things he claimed? I ask this because I wonder if you are willing to use the phrase “good president” to qualify someone like IBB if he were to become president in 2011( God forbid bad thing) and give you something similar to the above.
We are speaking of a man that made loads of promises to the people of Katsina, and after 8 years accomplished next to nothing there too. His errors did not start piling up when he became president. . . he had tons of those before he was made president.
We quickly praised him for his deal with the Niger Delta terrorists but I believe now we know that deal was at not for the good of Nigerians. Imagine a president promising terrorists free pocket money each month, free education, not even in Nigerian schools but abroad, etc? What should we expect to be revealed next? Free health care to any hospital abroad?

You don't give any ground do you, Kobojunkie? grin I understand you perfectly, but it seems my lines are being too finely drawn. My point is exactly that he "started out as a good president", not that he is/was a good president. I have to admit that unlike you I really believed that he was going to be good as president. The context in which I am saying he started out as a good president is that Jonathan is showing some signs of being good. I know better than to start jumping up and down, but at the same time there would be nothing wrong in pointing out anything good he is saying or doing while we wait. I am not ready to declare Jonathan good or bad until he has had a year, which is about the amount of time he has to be Ag. President anyway.
Re: For Real? How Jonathan Made Nigeria Proud In Washington Dc by Kobojunkie: 4:02am On Apr 19, 2010
naijamini:

You don't give any ground do you, Kobojunkie? grin I understand you perfectly, but it seems my lines are being too finely drawn. My point is exactly that he "started out as a good president", not that he is/was a good president. I have to admit that unlike you I really believed that he was going to be good as president.

It was not the case that I did not believe that he could not make a good president. On the contrary, I believe people CAN change, and I was willing to wait to see what he would actually do with his SECOND CHANCE. However, what I saw month, after month, was a man praised by the media, and the people for doing NOTHING but talk of good things he could do. If you go back in the archives, you will see what I mean. Most all he did was speak, or put forth another theory/vow/acknowledge another error, and people would fawn over him. 

The Acting President(a man who did not move a muscle as deputy governor), who came in on the same ticket as Yar adua did, and sat by all those years  pushing yar adua’s many vows/theories etc, now FORCED to prove himself a leader, maybe for the first time, and what are we doing again?  We are praising him for speaking of what he will do. Sound familiar? All this man has done is speak of things he can do, and yet again we are fawning over him.

This is why I find it hard to blame the leaders in all this. What incentive do they have to accomplish anything when all they have to do, it seems, is SPEAK OF DOING good things to get ALL THE GLORY AND WORSHIP?
Re: For Real? How Jonathan Made Nigeria Proud In Washington Dc by CyberG: 4:07am On Apr 19, 2010
Wether Jonathan will be adjudged good or bad, time will tell. However, I agree with Kobojunkie on Yaradua! The only thing Yaradua did was to mouth off a silly 7-point agenda slogan he provided no details how it becomes reality! Now, any idiot can declare 5-, 7, 10-, 70- and 100-point agendas like he did! But did he do ANYTHING for Nigeria to change it or make it better? NO!

He lied from the very beginning. . .about his health and that he is so clueless that everything he said was NEVER his idea! He was put there against his will by the combination of IBB, Turai and the coterie of thieves around them! The Uwais report, a job which he commissioned earlier, he couldn't accept its implementation. Meanwhile, while being remote-controlled by Ibori and co, Andoakaa was working hard to destroy any progress Nigeria had made with the fight against corruption, etc! Amnesty? Well, any idiot knows that a lot of the arms given-up was provided by the government for showmanship! I could go on but what did he DO? NOTHING!
Re: For Real? How Jonathan Made Nigeria Proud In Washington Dc by naijamini(m): 4:18am On Apr 19, 2010
CyberG:

Wether Jonathan will be adjudged good or bad, time will tell. However, I agree with Kobojunkie on Yaradua! The only thing Yaradua did was to mouth off a silly 7-point agenda slogan he provided no details how it becomes reality! Now, any idiot can declare 5-, 7, 10-, 70- and 100-point agendas like he did! But did he do ANYTHING for Nigeria to change it or make it better? NO!

He lied from the very beginning. . .about his health and that he is so clueless that everything he said was NEVER his idea! He was put there against his will by the combination of IBB, Turai and the coterie of thieves around them! The Uwais report, a job which he commissioned earlier, he couldn't accept its implementation. Meanwhile, while being remote-controlled by Ibori and co, Andoakaa was working hard to destroy any progress Nigeria had made with the fight against corruption, etc! Amnesty? Well, any idiot knows that a lot of the arms given-up was provided by the government for showmanship! I could go on but what did he DO? NOTHING!

Yes, like you I agree with Kobojunkie. As she said hers was a lonely voice about the lack of a basis for glorifying Yar'adua early on. Your list of Yar'adua's failures does not even begin to state the level of incompetence he showed as an administrator. We really need to find a way to take our potential leaders to task on their promises B/4 they get elected. OBJ promised heaven and earth before his inauguration - now he claims he wasn't elected to build roads and rail, but to bring the nation together!
Re: For Real? How Jonathan Made Nigeria Proud In Washington Dc by Dede1(m): 4:23am On Apr 19, 2010
Nigeria’s insurmountable problem is tribalism. Topics and responses on Nigeria socio-politico-economic progress had to pass through the prism of either ethnicity or sectionalism.
Re: For Real? How Jonathan Made Nigeria Proud In Washington Dc by trueword: 5:00am On Apr 19, 2010
All we can do is to watch and wait. If Jonathan does more than paying lip service, great. I'm hoping that he will feel very compelled to deliver what he said after meeting all those world leaders and promising things such as credible elections.
Re: For Real? How Jonathan Made Nigeria Proud In Washington Dc by Kobojunkie: 1:11pm On Apr 19, 2010
I stopped hoping for the leaders to do the right thing. Rather, I hope the Nigerian people learn to stop 'arse' kissing, and start making demands of these leaders instead
Re: For Real? How Jonathan Made Nigeria Proud In Washington Dc by paddylo1(m): 3:10pm On Apr 19, 2010
He immediately talked about the making the NNPC commercial and asking oil companies to get their funds from the global capital market, while we direct our revenues to national development - he was aiming to stop the so-called cash calls that MNOC were using to steal Nigeria blind. This was the prelude to the PIB.

Nobody is stealing u blind, when u have a joint venture, say 60%NNPC and 40% EXXON

Each party has to provide funds for exploration, because NNPC will get 60% of whatever profits
and EXXON will get 40%

The alternative is for NNPC to sell its 60% and collect only petroleum taxes and royalty

or buy EXXONS 40% and source for 100% exploration money itself to manage the joint venture soley. . .
Re: For Real? How Jonathan Made Nigeria Proud In Washington Dc by paddylo1(m): 3:13pm On Apr 19, 2010
Yar'Adua's only achievement was reading the 7 point agenda over and over and over and as slowly as if he was gonna die!

Lol. . .thats harsh
Re: For Real? How Jonathan Made Nigeria Proud In Washington Dc by adconline(m): 3:32pm On Apr 19, 2010
US government sources say Nigeria is the first country in Africa under the Obama administration to enjoy such an agreement. It was signed just a week ahead of the Jonathan visit. Incidentally, soon after Nigeria signed the Bi-National Commission with the US, the South Africans also quickly got a similar deal with the US government, which was announced last Thursday after the departure of the Acting President. The US-South African agreement was named a Strategic Dialogue, raising press enquiries at the State Department that this was happening so soon after the US-Nigerian Bi-National Commission.

In the 90s,  Al Gore and Thabo Mbeki  co-chaired a bi-national commission, unless it was not considered a bi-national commission by Obama administration or did this newspaper do a fact check?

http://www.iss.co.za/pubs/asr/6No3/Joseph.html
http://books.google.com/books?id=0yUCb9yZ01oC&pg=PA42&lpg=PA42&dq=The+U.S.-South+Africa+Binational+Commission+Al+Gore+and+Mbeki&source=bl&ots=Ow7qmRqsYZ&sig=sT3jnpwx64FVw8qvoSbJ68ZANLc&hl=en&ei=JWfMS6-NCY6CNp_09I0F&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CBIQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=The%20U.S.-South%20Africa%20Binational%20Commission%20Al%20Gore%20and%20Mbeki&f=false
Re: For Real? How Jonathan Made Nigeria Proud In Washington Dc by XueRengui: 2:46pm On Oct 17, 2014
Awesome
Re: For Real? How Jonathan Made Nigeria Proud In Washington Dc by Ikengawo: 3:08pm On Oct 17, 2014
MandingoII:

I just seen that chump on CNN, avoiding questions

He said Nigeria's BIGGEST problem was electricity/power shocked

I disagree, nigeria's biggest problem is getting that OIL money to SERVE the people of Nigeria.
Telling from your name you're not nigerian. Stop telling people about their own life. Electricity is the #1 problem in the country. Oil doesn't effect the life of people outside the oil sector.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ndigbo And Gej's Presidency. / Difficulty In Tackling The Almajiri Syndrome / Oyo State Yes-o.org Site Suspended - This Is A Shame

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.