Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,605 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:11 PM

Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify (998 Views)

Senate Urges Buhari To Intensify Effort On Chibok Girls Rescue / Nigerian Troops Intensify Operations Against Boko Haram Terrorists. See Photos / BREAKING News: Chevron, Oil Companies Shutdown As Militants Intensify Bombing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by kosovo(m): 7:16am On Apr 19, 2010
THERE are indications that some members of the House of Representatives, who are angry with the leadership on vexed issues, are now eager to raise dust as members prepare to resume from their 20-day Easter break this week.

Indications to this effect emerged at the weekend, as members who travelled to the United Kingdom (UK) to spend the holiday used the opportunity to meet and strategise on ways to raise unsettled issues against the speaker, most especially.

Nigerian Tribune learnt that members of the Nigerian First Forum (NFF) had made arrangements to meet today at Valencia Hotel, Abuja, to strategise for Tuesday’s sitting.

The common complaint against Bankole is the stiff defence he put up in support of President Umaru Yar’Adua all through the period he was in Saudi Arabia for medical treatment and amid clamour for his stepping aside from government on the basis of his ill health.

Bankole, according to findings, had angered most of the members the more by not aligning immediately with the plan by the National Assembly to empower the then vice-president, Dr Goodluck Jonathan, to act as president, pending the return of Yar’Adua to office.

Most members of the House had blamed the House leadership on the way and manner the Senate took credit for empowering Jonathan to become the acting president, though they believed that it was the House which had, hitherto, been at the forefront of the struggle for the deepening of democracy in Nigeria.

Few weeks before the House went on recess, the new group, NFF, had addressed the media, declaring that they were in full support of the acting president, as they berated earlier attempts by their colleagues to frustrate his emergence.

At the moment, the anti-leadership groups in the House had aggregated their views and compiled the alleged infractions they had noted against the leadership with a view to raising them when the House fully resumes during the week.

However, the Special Assistant to the Speaker on Media, Mr Musa Ebon-hiama, dismissed reports on any form of gang-up against the leadership and, indeed, the Speaker, saying that nothing of such existed within the House.

Clicke Here For Full Story!
Re: Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by Goldmind1(m): 8:15am On Apr 19, 2010
Let the Bankole guy go abeg, his expression is even full of pride.
Re: Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by Nobody: 8:25am On Apr 19, 2010
I dont think so.bankole has obj's support and right now,those members are interested in getting a return ticket;so they wont do anything that would jeopardise that.
Re: Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by egift(m): 9:58am On Apr 19, 2010
~Bluetooth:

I dont think so.bankole has obj's support and right now,those members are interested in getting a return ticket;so they wont do anything that would jeopardise that.

Perhaps a strategy to force his hands. You assertions will only be true if what he is doing is the bidding of Obj.
Re: Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by Nobody: 10:18am On Apr 19, 2010
~Bluetooth:

I don't think that Dimeji has OBJ support in anyway.

Presently Ogun politics gravitates among three (3) power centers; OBJ-the strongest with his man now running the show at the center, OGD, still very relevant as a result of power of incumbency (what Dimeji was talking about during his last outing), and Dimeji albeit not that strong any longer since his underbelly is now opened (honestly he is there primarily because of Yardua factor and the northern members). And the reason for the blind support to keep yardua in power. He is presently jittery because his political career is rather going down the drains the way the Yardua is going.

Whether he did not read the unfolding scenario properly or was held hostage by his own blind ambition, either way, he might end up been the loser.

Apprarently, he is one of the few youths that IBB has in mind when he was making that thoughtless remark.
Re: Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by Godslover: 10:37am On Apr 19, 2010
i can very much tell you that bankole is the source of this gist, nobody is trying to impeach him, the punk with all his foriegn exposure is worse than the old time polticians, all he is after is to be a power broker in nigeria and use the position to please himself, he is part of them
Re: Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by becomricha: 11:42am On Apr 19, 2010
Leave him alone. Jonathan should not be in a hurry to become president. For his on good. Not something I want to talk over the internet.

He should remain acting for now. For his own good. Politics is a chess game. It is a bad time for him to switch . DO NOT BE IN A HURRY. It would back fire against Jonathan. He should remain acting for now.

politics is like a chess game. If Jonathan switch from acting now. He has lost the game. His keyword should be "watch and see"
Re: Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by kosovo(m): 11:55am On Apr 19, 2010
becomricha:

Leave him alone. Jonathan should not be in a hurry to become president. For his on good. Not something I want to talk over the internet.

He should remain acting for now. For his own good. Politics is a chess game. It is a bad time for him to switch . DO NOT BE IN A HURRY. It would back fire against Jonathan. He should remain acting for now.

politics is like a chess game. If Jonathan switch from acting now. He has lost the game. His keyword should be "watch and see"
Becomricha cheesy grin
Re: Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by sjeezy8: 3:57pm On Apr 19, 2010
He should GO!

~Bluetooth:

Naw - the guy isnt in the Obj's camp- He fumbled big time by not following the Senates decision to give jonathan powers- .
When jonathan became acting president, bankole switched sides. His mistake was not thinking that Jonathan could be president.

He should go for being dumb! Hes too arrogant and should have known in Nigeria you have to be intelligent and act docile.
Re: Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by ladi02(m): 5:36pm On Apr 19, 2010
Its as a result of Bankole IBB was able to say the younger generation cannot rule Nigeria

Bankole has done nothing since he became speaker, pls let him go
Re: Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by xterra2(m): 5:41pm On Apr 19, 2010
So because Bankole is saving our democracy (by refuting plans to remove yaradua) thats why they wanna remove him
Re: Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by naijaking1: 7:24pm On Apr 19, 2010
xterra2:

So because Bankole is saving our democracy (by refuting plans to remove yaradua) thats why they wanna remove him

How does not removing sick or dead Yar'dua promote our our democracy
If you think that sticking a dead body in our face and calling him president means democracy, you should think again.
What other democracy in the World will a president "disappear" and without any sort of official notification for almost six months, and still have people calling him president?
Re: Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by safariman(m): 8:10pm On Apr 19, 2010
Why is everthing has to lead to impeachment?
Re: Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by Kobojunkie: 8:11pm On Apr 19, 2010
If Bankole cited the constitution as his reason for rejecting the installing of the VP as Acting President, then I say he is on the right. And I hope he sues the senate if he were to eventually get removed for that.
Re: Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by 006(m): 8:39pm On Apr 19, 2010
He has downgraded the position of the House Speaker.
That's what we have when a Yoruba is in position, sycophancy and double speak.

I wish Masari would come back!
Re: Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by xterra2(m): 8:40pm On Apr 19, 2010
naijaking1:

How does not removing sick or dead Yar'dua promote our our democracy
If you think that sticking a dead body in our face and calling him president means democracy, you should think again.
What other democracy in the World will a president "disappear" and without any sort of official notification for almost six months, and still have people calling him president?
Okay think of it this way
First,read section 145  of the constitution.
Okay now is Jonathans 'acting' presidency legal or not?It is illegal and unconstitutional
We all know that,so assuming yaradua is removed using section 144 you think 'friends of yaradua'(theres actually a group called that) would sit and relax hell no!They will go to court praying that jonthans 'acting' presidency is illegal and guess what the court would heed to the prayer why?cus it is stated clearly in the constitution and it was not obeyed,so it is illegal and unconstitutional and all actions jonathan took as acting president would be declared null and void.
So which means that the dissolving of the cabinet is illegal as he has no power to do so as vice-president so the old ministers would be back and they would not agree to section 144 so yaraduas is back as president and jonthan as his vice not acting on his behalf,
Now naijaking tell me is this not gonna bring crisis to our dear Nigeria?
Re: Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by Dominoifet(m): 8:53pm On Apr 19, 2010
Pls leave d guy. The extra pound of flesh in his bucal cavity extruding out is d problem. I mean someone with such mass and yet a speaker what would he speak with ease?. It is only him that can tell how weighty , he is trying oooo
Re: Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by naijaking1: 8:55pm On Apr 19, 2010
xterra2:

Okay think of it this way
First,read section 145 of the constitution.
Okay now is Jonathans 'acting' presidency legal or not?It is illegal and unconstitutional
We all know that,so assuming yaradua is removed using section 144 you think 'friends of yaradua'(theres actually a group called that) would sit and relax hell no!They will go to court praying that jonthans 'acting' presidency is illegal and guess what the court would heed to the prayer why?cus it is stated clearly in the constitution and it was not obeyed,so it is illegal and unconstitutional and all actions jonathan took as acting president would be declared null and void.
So which means that the dissolving of the cabinet is illegal as he has no power to do so as vice-president so the old ministers would be back and they would not agree to section 144 so yaraduas is back as president and jonthan as his vice not acting on his behalf,
Now naijaking tell me is this not gonna bring crisis to our dear Nigeria?

Acting president is extra-constitutional, I would agree, it's an ad hoc term designed to appease everybody and eventually nobody at all. Friends of Jonathan should go court declaring that acting president is illegal, and that there is no room for that in the constitution. The president was supposed to have told the NASS about his health and inability to continue in office, but the smart criminals around him who didn't want to loose power by one inch designed a method of creating this crisis. Bye the way, i though there is court injuction declaring Jonathan the president earlier on.
Re: Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by Kobojunkie: 9:01pm On Apr 19, 2010
Acting President is constitutional. Only applicable in the way defined in the constitution. What we got was an UNCONSTITUTIONAL/ILLEGAL installment of an acting President. Section 145 of the constitution, prior to recent amendments, detailed the only situation an Acting President can be installed.
Re: Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by becomricha: 12:22pm On Apr 20, 2010
Like I said before. they can not make jonathan full president now. for his own good. Jonathan no sai bi play politics. If him jump for full presido. he put trouble for him head. He should not seek total power but wait to run at yar adua term as acting president. He has better option as acting presdient, than full president.

He should remain acting, till the end of yar adua term. If they make him full president. he would have problem .  since yar adua is still alife. Let him remain acting. Not something over the internet. If i talk, everybody go no why. And no the game. He should not become full president now. till the a month into an election. If he becomes full president. He would have problem. take time to read the constitution. yar adua is still alife, they claim. he should not be in a hurry. jonathan has to remain acting president.
Re: Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by sjeezy8: 1:49pm On Apr 20, 2010

[size=13pt]NEXT learnt yesterday that a former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, is allegedly sponsoring some members of the House to move against Mr. Bankole. The former president is reported to have contacted some prominent lawmakers from the South West and North Central zone, who he met with in his Ota Farm recently.[/size] However, when contacted, some of the lawmakers allegedly being used by Mr. Obasanjo denied the claim.

It was gathered that Mr. Bankole, who is currently away in London, has got wind of the plot. The embattled Speaker is reported to have sent text messages to some prominent members of the House, appealing for calm until he returns.

"If I have done anything wrong, you should pardon me," the Speaker was quoted to have said in the text message from London.

LOL
Re: Plans To Impeach Bankole Intensify by yemmight(m): 3:28pm On Apr 20, 2010
The guy has not done badly as a speaker. Let him be.

(1) (Reply)

Accused Nigerian Drug Smuggler Tells Court He Does Not Understand English / President Goodluck Jonathan In Lagsos( V/island -ikoyi) With Full Secuirty / Ibb Cautions Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.