Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

When Maga Paid (Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / When Maga Paid (Short Story) (5024 Views)

I Was Once A Maga / Don't Laugh Me, Love Me ( A Short Story) / The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Maga Paid (Short Story) by Eureka123(f): 7:51pm On Feb 05, 2018
"Obinna!" Tunde's high-pitched voice sounded from the other room in the 2-bedroom apartment, where they squatted with 4 other boys. It was summer again, and time to hustle since the boys had managed to pay their spring semester tuition through their noses.

"Yes!?" Came Obinna's sharp response from the kitchen. The hunger that had woken him up from sleep that morning seemed to have eaten through his patience for chit-chats.

"I received a call from your mother, it seems you're finally coming home for the summer. Lucky idiot." Tunde told him approaching the kitchen. Obviously, Obinna's phone had been damaged since forever, and despite all efforts to repair the dying phone, it became clear that the device was ready to join its ancestors.

"Be serious, Tunde!" Obinna yelled. "I'll call her through a pay-phone to ascertain what the processes would be and ask her to chat me up through your line." He continued as soon as Tunde flashed the smartphone right in his face. The scene didn't end with Obinna having the food he had just prepared to himself, because before he could let the pot off from the fire, three other boys had appeared from nowhere to devour the content in the poor pot.

In one week's time, Obinna was soon on his way to Nigeria, with the little belongings he could gather to keep up appearances with back home. Since he couldn't find credible work over there in Cyprus, the PlanB was to make sure maga paid, in the form of students who were keen on studying abroad. Who said God wasn't good? It was especially graduation period at that time in Nigeria.

Coming home to a house left half-constructed by his father, due to the demanding cost of education for Obinna and 5 other children, Obinna had to settle right in whilst planning his moves. The idea came upon him on one of the Sundays, when he just got out of his church clothes. Thus, on that very day, he paid a visit to a student fellowship he had long abandoned years before he traveled. It was his crookedness that led him to flee from the South of Cyprus, without a proper graduation. It is believed that after the chicken farts, it runs from the wrath of the earth.

"Praise God! We have a brother in our midst today, who would like to speak to some of you about scholarship opportunities in Turkey. See him after this service." The announcement came from the Chapter President, and a resounding stare from the congregation of students on an Obinna who was sleekly dressed to impress and out to kill. Of course, the plan worked brilliantly, because curious Nigerian students ran to him after the program, and established contact because he had promised them he was an agent that could guarantee scholarships for about 20 students to universities in the TRNC.

The unsuspecting individuals flocked like bees to Obinna's house on a regular, and he was going to move to Turkey as soon as he gathered enough money to discard North Cyprus, but he said he was personally going to accompany them. He was not going to wait around to become meat to the about-to-be magas and past ones that were loosely waiting around for his return.

As the days went by, the list of interested individuals grew lesser and lesser. To Obinna, the lesser the list, the easier it was to dance skiboroboskibo with their money. All along, because of the fact that few people knew the history of Cyprus as a country, Obinna's words were too sweet to the ears, that many were cajoled into believing North Cyprus was some city in Turkey; an extension.

The first round of cash rolled in through the form of admission application fees for Eastern Mediterranean University, which was against the school's policies. He knew many students would opt for direct admissions rather than gamble with the factor of non-qualification for the Turkiye Burslari Program.

"Ikenna, maga is paying small-small oo. Who teach me Turkish, but see as I use the cut-and-join one I sabi dey chop their brain." Obinna had told his brother one day. The next rounds of cash blessed Obinna's hands in the form of Agent fees. This was a legit thing with working through agencies for admission, even though the University also paid these agents; but he was a wolf in sheep's clothing who had endeared himself to the parents of these poor students. Under the guise of friendship, and with a brand new account, he siphoned this cash and went ahead to apply with an agent whom he paid merely half of this amount to. All these while, he acted like negotiator who had struck a cheaper deal, and filled the heads of the poor victims with super-stories about Cyprus, and how there was snow and trains everywhere.

To cut a long story short, it was travel time, and Obinna fell mysteriously ill with Malaria, Typhoid,
Hepatitis and what have you. Only one person! There's no need to explain how things finally ended. Obinna's shaking body never stopped, and these poor victims traveled to North Cyprus. A disclaimer would be that the University was oblivious to the abominations being carried out by these Yahoo Association of Students, since their deal ended with settling their certified Agents.

Obinna no later ever show again for North Cyprus and left for a fresh start in Turkey! The excuse was school fees problem and visa wahala. Unsuspecting parents and sympathizers assisted him in these areas, to ensure he joined their kids as soon as possible. Tunde took over, by picking them from the airport on arrival, and made sure they joined him in the barracks of an apartment he lived in. For the next few weeks, Tunde and the boys lived off these newly-arrived students like royalty. If the readers could imagine any possible ploys to swindle, Tunde did all these to the point of pretending rented cars were taxis and making them pay in dollars for short distances, and even procuring an apartment of which he moved in with two of them. They bled through their noses, trying to pay for the apartment at the price Tunde had communicated, and lived in hell for a year. Was it a case of 'one day for the thief, ninety-nine days for the owner of the house'? I guess we'd never know!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Maga Paid (Short Story) by Officialshobo(m): 7:13am On Feb 07, 2018
This one no be short story at all
Re: When Maga Paid (Short Story) by hoygift(m): 7:19am On Feb 07, 2018
How did you make it here FP... HA NAWAO no comments
Re: When Maga Paid (Short Story) by caseclosed147(m): 7:20am On Feb 07, 2018
AIN'T READING THAT LONG ASS ESSAY. WE NEED SOMEONE THAT GOTTA STUDY BUHARISM, TO BE ABLE TO SAVE US FROM BUHARI. AND SEND HIM BACK TO DAURA.

Re: When Maga Paid (Short Story) by zulex880: 7:26am On Feb 07, 2018
Buhari is a mad man with zero sense of reasoning bro, just take heart

1 Like

Re: When Maga Paid (Short Story) by muhammed50(m): 7:33am On Feb 07, 2018
Next!
Re: When Maga Paid (Short Story) by Iphone5: 7:51am On Feb 07, 2018
Rubbish
Re: When Maga Paid (Short Story) by clitlicker: 8:07am On Feb 07, 2018
an imbeside wrote this story

IMBESIDE!!!!
Re: When Maga Paid (Short Story) by Nobody: 9:35am On Feb 07, 2018
Who wrote this waste: I Will stop posting on nairaland if good contents don't make FP

Lalatisclala nd. Co
Re: When Maga Paid (Short Story) by ibori1(m): 11:02am On Feb 07, 2018
my eye,who slap my eye?

1 Like

Re: When Maga Paid (Short Story) by Pinnacle(m): 12:07pm On Feb 07, 2018
Wicked
Re: When Maga Paid (Short Story) by bluelaptop: 12:13pm On Feb 07, 2018
OK
Re: When Maga Paid (Short Story) by Eureka123(f): 6:09pm On Feb 07, 2018
IjeleNwa:
Who wrote this waste: I Will stop posting on nairaland if good contents don't make FP

Lalatisclala nd. Co

(1) (Reply)

fz1z2 / The Holy Emperor (The Most Interesting STory on Nairaland ...Short and Apt) / We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.