Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,720 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

7 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Getting Your Child A Home Tutor - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 7 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Getting Your Child A Home Tutor (380 Views)

JAMB 2023: Solutions To Issues With Getting Your Profile Code / LAUTECH Is A Home Of Intellectuals And Not Cyber Crimes – Lautech SUG / Debate : Is Educating Female Child A Waste Of Resources? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

7 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Getting Your Child A Home Tutor by kurlarday: 12:16am On Feb 06, 2018
1. Does my child really need a tutor?

Having served as an education administrator and education psychologist for the past two and a half decades, I have observed that most parents don’t actually know what they want. Most time, some parents don’t need a home tutor; they might have just needed the service of a baby sitter, nanny, maid, psychologist or counselor. We once had an experience with a client in Nigeria some few years back. The client called to request for a home tutor for his daughter in year 5 preparing for common entrance examination. While assessing the pupil, the assessor observed that the class teacher of the pupil had written to her parents to ensure that they give her maximum attention because she usually loses concentration while in class. This learning disorder really affected her academic performance in school. Further observation revealed that one of the reasons for loss of concentration by the pupil was the constant misunderstanding and discord between the parents. So, while giving our assessment report, we recommended that the child would need the service of an education psychologist instead of a home tutor.

2. What subject does my child really need to be tutored on?

In many instances, most parents feel that they know it all. Parents often depend on their knowledge of the result of the academic performance of their children in school to determine which subjects need extra attention. Professional experience has proven that majority of the results of students’ performance are not the true test of academic strength or weakness in the subjects. Some examiners or school teachers award marks and grade students based on several reasons. Some teachers may choose to award marks to reward some students based on personal reasons; in this case, it would not be rational for parents to conclude that the child is outstanding in such subject. Instead of relying on the school result, parents are advised to ask for their child’s view and opinion about their strength and weaknesses in each of the subjects registered in school. Also, parents may look up some tutoring agencies offering unbiased assessment for pupils to determine their academic strength and weaknesses in different subjects. Most agencies would charge for this service but I can recommend Think First Tutors (www.thinkfirsttutors.com.ng) for a free assessment anywhere in Lagos.

3. Can I afford a personal tutor?

The monthly charges of some tutoring agencies are as expensive as the school fees of some schools per term. As a parent, you need to consider your income and the expenses already incurred on school fee before considering getting a home tutor for your child. Don’t depend on one agency, try to contact as many agencies as possible and choose the one you can afford. You can save yourself from financial embarrassment if only you can plan ahead and consider your financial strength. Most tutoring agencies in Nigeria charge within the range of N3,500 to N5,000 per session.

4. Does my child need a male or female tutor?

Research has shown that most male pupils (both in elementary and other stages of learning) are more comfortable with female tutors than male tutors while female pupils in the elementary stage of learning are more comfortable with female tutors but those in other stages of learning are more comfortable with male tutors. You may need to seek the opinion of your child about his/her gender preference of tutor. Also, fro some security reasons, some parents don’t feel too secured to engage the service of a male tutor because they have a female child, this challenge can be controlled with the presence of an adult or security camera at the learning environment. Apart from the case of insecurity on the part of the pupil, some wives also feel insecure with the presence of a female tutor in their home; who may seduce their husbands and eventually break their marriage. We advise that there should be a serious consultation with all parties involved before making the decision to choose the gender of the tutor for your child.

5. What is the credibility of the tutoring agency to be used?

There are many tutoring agencies in Nigeria today; in fact there is a need for a registered body that would serve as the National Association of Nigerian Home Tutors just as we have in other countries. This body should help to separate the fish from the bone. I was once asked to be the pioneering member of a similar association for home teachers in Nigeria but after two to three meetings, the fire quenched for no reasonable reason. Parents please don’t rely on the testimony on the websites of the agencies you see online, most of them are fabricated. Read reviews; let people recommend reliable tutoring agencies to you. Don’t deal with tutors personally, deal with an agency. If you deal with a credible agency, you are always covered; you can file a legal suit whenever the needs arise.

6. Is my home convenient for lessons?

How convenient is the space reserved in your home for learning? The lesson environment is a key factor in private home lessons. If the space reserved for lessons is a traffic area, the child will easily be distracted. Under no circumstance should you decide to use the balcony, sitting room (except if it is guaranteed that the television will be switched off and no visitor will be welcomed during lesson), bedroom or shared compound for home lesson. Try as much as possible to keep the learning environment tidy, fully ventilated and well illuminated. If convenience is not guaranteed at the space reserved for lesson, there is no need for home lesson; you may have to consider enrolling your child in public lessons which is relatively cheaper but less effective for some pupils.

7. Apart from the school’s academic report, how do I assess the progressive performance of my child and the tutor?

This is very essential. From close observation, most tutoring agencies in Nigeria do not give progressive monthly assessment report of the pupils. You need to be updated about the performance of your child on a monthly or periodic basis. Also, you need an unbiased report of the achievement of the tutor himself/herself so as to know what had been taught and the challenges that are supposed to be attended to. You really need to get value for your money. You can’t just pay for a service rendered to your child without knowing the details of how the service is being carried out. Before paying the agency, ask for a monthly progressive performance report. Please, start activating the “no report, no payment mode” right from your first day of signing the deal with any tutoring agency of your choice.

Akintomi Omoshebi is an education administrator, education psychologist, education consultant and writer. Presently, he works as a researcher at Won-on-One Consult. You can reach him via wonononeconsult@gmail.com. Remember, your child doesn't care to know how much you know but how much you care about him/her. If you don't care, who will?
[i][/i]

https://edutalkonline..com.ng/2018/02/7-questions-to-ask-yourself-before.html

Re: 7 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Getting Your Child A Home Tutor by kurlarday: 9:44am On Feb 06, 2018
CC: Lalastica, admin, move to FP

(1) (Reply)

72 Likely Questions From In Dependent That Might Be Asked In Jamb Examination / Rep Your Schools(nigerians In Ghana) / This World Is Full Of...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.