Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,833 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:42 PM

OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria (24545 Views)

Fero Mobile Shuts Down Office In Nigeria / Why We Are Closing Our Nigeria Office - OLX / OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria… See Full Details!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by newslifeop: 12:47pm On Feb 07, 2018
Olx shut.down,konga sold, efritin left, jiji and jumia going soon,nothing can.work in nigeria
Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by yinks0067: 1:48pm On Feb 07, 2018
oreayo2011:
i knew the moment this whole e commerce trend started that it wasall fireworks(a showy display that captivates our attention for a moment and then nothing).Having followed the Amazon story since the mid 2000s,I knew Nigeria was not ready for e commerce and jumping into that space was tantamount to the herd mentality(everyone doing the same thing whether it makes sense or not).Amazon has been around now for longer than some nairaland members have been alive,but in all that while it was not a profit making entity despite their ever soaring valuation.
Not until very recently especially with the new Amazon Web Services did they start declaring very tiny profits compared to the scale of their operations.Now Amazon operates or originates from a system where the logistics of e commerce make sense.Fedex,UPS and DHL have been trying to outdo themselves for decades which means even before Amazon was born ,the logistics of delivery was sorted.Secondly to all those asking how Buhari comes in,well here is your answer.For logistics to make sense,you need infrastructure.Really good infrastructure.
Good roads,airstrips with safe tarmacs that can be utilized at night.Ibadan airport is a joke and so are most airports in nigeria .You cannot sustain a big business depending on just Lagos ,Port Harcout and Abuja and more importantly you need the night economy to make e commerce efficient.
The only people that work at night in nigeria are armed robbers,prostitutes,corrupt policemen and recently uber and taxify drivers.
k

I disagree with that. in my own view, I think the coming on board of instagram vendors as really crippled konga and Jumia. also drop shipping. and what finally killed Jumia and konga is that they don't stay through to there products. You see a gold wristwatch and when it get delivered its blue.. They both get it wrong by focusing on too much products instead on focusing on few and make it perfect. it's time we see new startup doing something better. I bought item from oversee online worth 300,000k because I kne what I saw is what I will get. this year I only bought item worth N600 Maura from konga because am scared I might not get wht I saw from there web . it boils down to trust and credibility

3 Likes

Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by toluxa1(m): 2:03pm On Feb 07, 2018

Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by IbnIbrahim: 2:17pm On Feb 07, 2018
toluxa1:
Na wa o. This administration sef...

https://www.nairaland.com/4279532/mint-like-new-samsung-galaxy

What point are you making?
Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by oreayo2011: 2:26pm On Feb 07, 2018
i didnt mean living abroad in a derogatory manner,sorry if it came across that way.Living abroad is not an achievement,rather solving problems for the greater good I consider very highly.
The robbers working at night was just true sarcasm.
nurshah:

It's a simple question.. I wanted to know where the point of robbers etc working at night cane from a d it's ration to he point at hand

You do not need to say if I had lived abroad.. I don't discuss my small a hievements on nairaland

Thank you
Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by oreayo2011: 2:31pm On Feb 07, 2018
I respect this point because that was my next arguement.The rise of facebook,whatsapp and especially instagram marketing is killing a lot of these e commerce platforms.
yinks0067:

I disagree with that. in my own view, I think the coming on board of instagram vendors as really crippled konga and Jumia. also drop shipping. and what finally killed Jumia and konga is that they don't stay through to there products. You see a gold wristwatch and when it get delivered its blue.. They both get it wrong by focusing on too much products instead on focusing on few and make it perfect. it's time we see new startup doing something better. I bought item from oversee online worth 300,000k because I kne what I saw is what I will get. this year I only bought item worth N600 Maura from konga because am scared I might not get wht I saw from there web . it boils down to trust and credibility
Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by Mayflowa(m): 3:09pm On Feb 07, 2018
TechGod:
Bro you just spoke my mind, they're simply trying to play smart by cutting off the work force so they can make more profit. This is why we need laws that will restrict companies from functioning in our country without a office. OLX think they're smart, nonsense

Exactly. You got my point. You are intelligent. But you need to ask if Nigeria can control their Internet space. You also wanna know if there are tech + economics knowledgeable law makers
Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by Revolva(m): 3:18pm On Feb 07, 2018
E DON RED
Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by Odiriance4all(m): 3:51pm On Feb 07, 2018
tk4rd:
Chaaii..
A friend of mine got a good job through OLX

I also got my current job through olx . It will mostly be a big blow to we that partronize olx
Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by millionboi2: 3:54pm On Feb 07, 2018
222Martins:
I saw this coming and many more online startups are struggling to stay afloat. Please to the young entrepreneurs out there, I have an advice for you: Profits sustains business, not hype or noise. Profit in business is success, but unfortunately, the media tends to deceive a lot of people.

- Being the biggest, is not profit.
- Receive an award, is not profit.
- Being everywhere and spending millions in ads is not profit
- Raising $1million is not profit
- Signing up 1 million users in an hour is not profit
- Having 10million followers on FB or Twitter is not profit
- Rushing to establish presence in 40 countries is not profit

Nothing beats growing organically. If you need a proof to the above points, just look at Nairaland.com.
Experience in business have taught me not to be moved by vanity metrics. Just show me the money.
you are a Genius
Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by henrixx(m): 3:56pm On Feb 07, 2018
9ja4show:
Now Konga has been sold to a foreign company, are there no buisness men that can buy it here?? You see these Indians and Chinese people , they see the good in Nigeria more than it's citizens..wake up Nigerians
you buy naa. Abi you sef never wake
Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by Victorwale: 4:03pm On Feb 07, 2018
head of sales employees they were using as slaves 2015/2016 don catch them... bastards.
Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by BlogOxygen: 4:30pm On Feb 07, 2018
222Martins:
I saw this coming and many more online startups are struggling to stay afloat. Please to the young entrepreneurs out there, I have an advice for you: Profits sustains business, not hype or noise. Profit in business is success, but unfortunately, the media tends to deceive a lot of people.

Nothing beats growing organically. If you need a proof to the above points, just look at Nairaland.com.
Experience in business have taught me not to be moved by vanity metrics. Just show me the money.

Well said. "Vanity Metrics"
Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by Youngzedd(m): 4:42pm On Feb 07, 2018
oreayo2011:
i knew the moment this whole e commerce trend started that it wasall fireworks(a showy display that captivates our attention for a moment and then nothing).Having followed the Amazon story since the mid 2000s,I knew Nigeria was not ready for e commerce and jumping into that space was tantamount to the herd mentality(everyone doing the same thing whether it makes sense or not).Amazon has been around now for longer than some nairaland members have been alive,but in all that while it was not a profit making entity despite their ever soaring valuation.
Not until very recently especially with the new Amazon Web Services did they start declaring very tiny profits compared to the scale of their operations.Now Amazon operates or originates from a system where the logistics of e commerce make sense.Fedex,UPS and DHL have been trying to outdo themselves for decades which means even before Amazon was born ,the logistics of delivery was sorted.Secondly to all those asking how Buhari comes in,well here is your answer.For logistics to make sense,you need infrastructure.Really good infrastructure.
Good roads,airstrips with safe tarmacs that can be utilized at night.Ibadan airport is a joke and so are most airports in nigeria .You cannot sustain a big business depending on just Lagos ,Port Harcout and Abuja and more importantly you need the night economy to make e commerce efficient.
The only people that work at night in nigeria are armed robbers,prostitutes,corrupt policemen and recently uber and taxify drivers.

k

You get sense.
Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by JohnHopra: 5:54pm On Feb 07, 2018
newslifeop:
Olx shut.down,konga sold, efritin left, jiji and jumia going soon,nothing can.work in nigeria
I do not know who is going to, but I'm sure that Jiji the most adequate among the entire list !
Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by cbrass(m): 10:50pm On Feb 07, 2018
DriveByKiller:
OLX has always had poor UX, mediocre webpage design that is awful in navigation. Their app is poor.

Getting to place adds is also difficult as their program takes more time to recognize and approve items. Email response is also very poor with no real feeling of connection between buyer and seller.

JiJI on the other hand has a master class app and easy to use user experience. There’s chat button for prospective buyers to chat up sellers and a one-touch virtual button to call the seller right from the advert page.

Putting your product online on the platform is easy and staff of JiJI routinely ask their clients about the atttitude and conduct of sellers via email.

It is no suprise why you hardly scroll through the pages on JiJIi without bumping into sponsored ads.

Stop shooting off radar all because you want to let us know thag you know the meaning of UX, there is no difference between jiji and olx. The major factor that killed olx is the bad reputation it has of been a fraudsters den

1 Like

Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by cbrass(m): 10:55pm On Feb 07, 2018
nurshah:

Please remove spending on adds... This is very necessary for sales u can advise that it be minimized..
Even coca cola as big as they are still advertise. One needs to tell or remind people of their product. Advertising symonds to sales so, please edit

That was why I didn't totally agree with him
Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by cbrass(m): 11:02pm On Feb 07, 2018
IForgotMyLoginD:
In as much as I agree with you on most of the points made, you need to understand that it isn’t the media that’s deceiving a lot o.

The media is just a medium to reach out. It works for some Yes, but if a start up decides to pump millions into advertising, they do that at their own volition. So don’t blame us for people’s poor sense of business strategy or module.

On the flip side, there are businesses that thrive well with major advertising... but advertising / publicity alone isn’t what drives a business to success. Advertising is just an ingredient. Every other thing has to be put in place. So when businesses fail, blaming a sector that has no control in decision making of SMEs or Established firms is wrong.

Don't mind them, when you receive some briefs you know there is no sense in the strategy but they just want you to go ahead with it. And some render really poor services but they simply think they can force it down customers throat through ads

1 Like

Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by Harbewilliams(m): 8:03am On Feb 08, 2018
We manage vehicles for people who don't have time to manager their vehicles but want to invest in the e-hailing business (taxify, uber, oga taxi ) years of experience in this business has shaped our ideas.

Call us today for more details on our services, your investment is our priority.

Contact us today
FLEETDRIVE LIMITED
07016682929 ( call or whatsapp )
fleetdrive2016@gmail.com
Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by DriveByKiller: 8:09am On Feb 08, 2018
cbrass:

Stop shooting off radar all because you want to let us know thag you know the meaning of UX, there is no difference between jiji and olx. The major factor that killed olx is the bad reputation it has of been a fraudsters den

Have you ever browsed OLX pages and try skipping backwards to the previous page? Sometimes,you're taken right out of the column you are to home page.

Ever placed ads on OLX and received notifications that the pics aren't discernible? Or you realised how slow their platform is?

Over 70 percent of Ads in OLX are also found on JiJi but jiji has the edge in a user friendly platform, very fast platform. Easy ability to search for add and register within your locality.

Chat and call virtual buttons right on top of each ad for easy and quick access to the sellers.

I have received so many emails from jiji teams in clientele survey informing me that I was viewing so and so product and how was the conduct of the sellers!

These are what OLX lacks.

It's a bit surprising that you're more concerned about my use of the term 'UX' than any other point I made. I won't be surprised if you're a sizzling , miserable whelp in real life who carries on like a teenage female having pimples for the first time.

Learn to be objective and keep your inferior emotions in check so you may live longer than OLX in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by glambo(m): 11:11am On Feb 08, 2018
CaptainMarvel:
It's one thing to be "THE BRAND", it's another thing to "MAXIMIZE PROFIT" from the brand.
Facebook, for example have still not figured out how to maximally monetize whatsapp

Monetize whatsapp in what sense.
If you mean people subscribing to use the platform then they might end up the like hotmail and onebox.

I could remember vividly when the internet was just becoming the in thing in Nigeria way back 1997 and cybercafe was the only place you can use the internet.
I use to have a hotmail and onebox account while my yahoo mail was just Secondary, then Onebox and hotmail came up with yearly subscription and gradually people move from the two to yahoo.
I still use my yahoo acct 5hat was created in 1998 till date while have totally forgotten about onebox and hotmail and you can hardly find anyone using either of the two anymore.
Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by adolphus08(m): 2:09pm On Feb 08, 2018
222Martins:

I still think those metrics are a strong indicator for profit potential.

There is nowhere in the original article where they say they weren't making profit in Nigeria.

I think the main reason for the shutdown was to consolidate and streamline the activities of the company for effective management.
They probably have other reasons but I don't think profit is one of them
Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by Ivobobul: 6:54pm On Feb 08, 2018
DriveByKiller:
OLX has always had poor UX, mediocre webpage design that is awful in navigation. Their app is poor.

Getting to place adds is also difficult as their program takes more time to recognize and approve items. Email response is also very poor with no real feeling of connection between buyer and seller.

JiJI on the other hand has a master class app and easy to use user experience. There’s chat button for prospective buyers to chat up sellers and a one-touch virtual button to call the seller right from the advert page.

Putting your product online on the platform is easy and staff of JiJI routinely ask their clients about the atttitude and conduct of sellers via email.

It is no suprise why you hardly scroll through the pages on JiJIi without bumping into sponsored ads.
Yes, and the mobile application jiji works much more stable than in competitors !

2 Likes

Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by cbrass(m): 9:42pm On Feb 08, 2018
DriveByKiller:

Have you ever browsed OLX pages and try skipping backwards to the previous page? Sometimes,you're taken right out of the column you are to home page.

Ever placed ads on OLX and received notifications that the pics aren't discernible? Or you realised how slow their platform is?

Over 70 percent of Ads in OLX are also found on JiJi but jiji has the edge in a user friendly platform, very fast platform. Easy ability to search for add and register within your locality.

Chat and call virtual buttons right on top of each ad for easy and quick access to the sellers.

I have received so many emails from jiji teams in clientele survey informing me that I was viewing so and so product and how was the conduct of the sellers!

These are what OLX lacks.

It's a bit surprising that you're more concerned about my use of the term 'UX' than any other point I made. I won't be surprised if you're a sizzling , miserable whelp in real life who carries on like a teenage female having pimples for the first time.

Learn to be objective and keep your inferior emotions in check so you may live longer than OLX in Nigeria.

Mr man go and sit down, you know next to nothing about the Tech business. All what u said is negligible and won't bring down a huge tech business as OLX, infact jiji is going the same route and may be sold this year too. Maybe when that is done you will look for something else to say � that caused JIJi fall. They asked you what was your name u are replying by saying you like beans and rice. Lmao.. What's the relationship

2 Likes

Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by cbrass(m): 9:48pm On Feb 08, 2018
glambo:

Monetize whatsapp in what sense.
If you mean people subscribing to use the platform then they might end up the like hotmail and onebox.

I could remember vividlyD buwhen the internet was just becoming the in thing in Nigeria way back 1997 and cybercafe was the only place you can use the internet.
I use to have a hotmail and onebox account while my yahoo mail was just Secondary, then Onebox and hotmail came up with yearly subscription and gradually people move from the two to yahoo.
I still use my yahoo acct 5hat was created in 1998 till date while have totally forgotten about onebox and hotmail and you can hardly find anyone using either of the two anymore.

So many youths sef don't know what onebox is, grin. But to be honest the subscription is just for a year now, and very small. Lol ppl wicked sha

1 Like

Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by DriveByKiller: 10:31pm On Feb 08, 2018
cbrass:

Mr man go and sit down, you know next to nothing about the Tech business. All what u said is negligible and won't bring down a huge tech business as OLX, infact jiji is going the same route and may be sold this year too. Maybe when that is done you will look for something else to say � that caused JIJi fall. They asked you what was your name u are replying by saying you like beans and rice. Lmao.. What's the relationship
so if JiJI is bought it indicates it failed. WhatsApp was bought by Facebook, YouTube was bought by google. Were they failing before the acquisition?

Why are you projecting the madness in your head by predicting what my actions will be over an event that may never even occur.

This thread is about olx closing shop in Nigeria, Kenya and Ghana and we’re listing things it has done wrong and its operations ,yet the only thing you have to say is that I was showing people I know the word “UX”

I think you’re just a shiftless unproductive pot-bellied programmer who thinks it’s a big deal to use the word “UX” in 2018.
And you call JiJI or olx a tech business?

Loooolz, you’re a confused whelp with multiple brain disorder.

2 Likes

Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by cbrass(m): 7:37am On Feb 09, 2018
DriveByKiller:
so if JiJI is bought it indicates it failed. WhatsApp was bought by Facebook, YouTube was bought by google. Where they failing before the acquisition?

Why are you projecting the madness in your head by predicting what my actions will be over an event that may never even occur.

This thread is about olx closing shop in Nigeria, Kenya and Ghana and we’re listing things it has done wrong and its operations l,yet the only thing you have to day was I was showing people I know the word “UX”

I think you’re just a shiftless unproductive pot-bellied programmer who thinks it’s a big deal to use the word “UX” in 2018.
And you call JiJI or olx a tech business?

Loooolz, you’re a confused whelp with multiple brain disorder.

Have said it before you know next to nothing. This is the problem of some of you guys here, always claiming to know. Your level of ignorance is embarrassing, I sincerely can't help you.

1 Like

Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by DriveByKiller: 8:24am On Feb 09, 2018
cbrass:

Have said it before you know next to nothing. This is the problem of some of you guys here, always claiming to know. Your level of ignorance is embarrassing, I sincerely can't help you.

Now the stagnant, beer-belly programmer is still irked because a non-programmer uses the term “UX “ can’t just live with his miserable self.

I bet the only thing that drew you to my comment was the use of that word “UX”

From your comments so far, it’s obvious you don’t have any in-depth experiences on olx and JiJI. When you foolishly said they are both the same thing.

What an effing , imperceptible ignoramus you are. Or just a useless individual who has mastered self denial.

You’re on a pathetic ego trip to compensate for your failed life as a programmer. In all your wasted years as a programmer, “UX” must have been the most techy word you have picked up hence it drew your envy-induced stupidity when you saw it on print by a non-programmer.

The depth of your mental density and emotional instability should be the benchmark in gauging adults in educational limbo whose parents didn’t take the pain and time to fix them in subjects conversant with their natural aptitude.

2 Likes

Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by lobell: 12:17pm On Mar 26, 2018
yinks0067:

This is exactly what our new marketplace is addressing. Customers get what they pay for or get their money back...in cash not vouchers.
Re: OLX Shuts Down Office In Nigeria by Snwokenk: 6:44am On Mar 27, 2018
222Martins:

maybe not in Nigeria. But in the US. being the biggest or most used matters.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Replaces Saudi Arabia As Top Crude Oil Supplier To India / Aliko Dangote Donates 1 Million Bags Of Rice To Nigerians / Panama Papers: Wale Tinubu Operated 12 Shell Companies In Tax Havens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.