Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,130 members, 7,818,386 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:08 PM

The best R'n'B Artistes of all times - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / The best R'n'B Artistes of all times (19389 Views)

Top Ten Nigerian Lyricist Of All Times / Remember these R&B, Soul and Hiphop tunes/artistes of the 90s? / Nigreian Artistes Of The 70's & 80's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by Ib(f): 6:37am On Dec 27, 2005
Who holds the crown for the best r'n'b artiste of all times? And the best Album? I'm going back to the era of 90's (i.e new jack swing new edition, boys 2 men etc, i actually think those were the best times for r'n'b) to the new stuff around.

Well for me the award goes to:- R.kelly - ( All albums) , lauren hill :- miseducation of lauren hill, Mary J. blige (all albums), Alicia key:- best track unbreakable, d'angelo, angie stone, ralph tresvant ........ sensitivity, destiny's child - writings on the wall, jodeci (all albums) and some few others.

So who does it for u?

n.b rite now i'm killing for alicia's mtv unplugged, destiny's child cater to u, mariah's emancipation,mjb's breakthrough and bow wow and ciara's like u.
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by rashman(m): 6:52pm On Dec 27, 2005
joe should be the best.
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by snazzydawn(f): 7:17pm On Dec 27, 2005
well,bow wow and omarion's "let me hold you down"
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by Michaela(f): 10:11pm On Dec 27, 2005
I also like Boys 2 men, R.Kelly, Mary J. Blige, Alicia Keys, Destiny's Child, Ciara even if I don't know all of their songs.....

Furthermore I like Usher, Rihanna, Toni Braxton, Aaliyah (GOD BLESS HER!!!), Kelis and many others. But - ok - there are some among them who have been in the business for a short time so far. So I can't call them "Best R&B artistes of ALL TIMES" yet. But I like them very much...
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by hotangel2(f): 11:08pm On Dec 27, 2005
Alicia keys, R kelly, Mary J Blige, kelly clarkson.
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by theORAKU(m): 7:45am On Dec 29, 2005
For RnB soul, the queen still remains Mary J. Blige.
that lady is cool men.
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by Taf1(m): 8:10am On Dec 29, 2005
Maybe we should consider rephrasing the question coz when ue talk of the best artist of ALL time then ue put people like Barry White, Aretha Franklin and Luther Vandross...these lil kids like Omarion and Bow Wow(who is a rapper mind ue) cannot possibly have any stake on that one. And seeing ue say in the 90s to current errrrmmmm .....

Blackstreet,
Mary J Blige,
R.Kelly,
SWV,
Total,
Case
Silk
Blaque,
Jodeci,
Usher,
Ginuwine,
Aaliyah,
Destiny's Child,
TLC
XScape
B2K
Brandy
Joe
Mariah Carey
Alicia Keys
AZ Yet
Dru Hill
Toni Braxton

Let's get real people...c'mon now. Omarion could well be in on the list coz ladies love the boy bla bla bla but to get it Naa i don't think so... Tz about achievements innit
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by MatureMe(f): 4:17am On Jan 01, 2006
I am into old school music/groups: The Gap Band, Earth Wind and Fire, The Isleys Brothers (way before Mr. Bigg) lol lol, The Whispers, Anita Baker, Stevie Wonder (Ribbon in the Sky-makes me cry everytime I hear it), Michael Jackson (Thriller era), Teena Marie (pre Mariah Carey) and there are a few others but these people I truly enjoy listening to their timeless music!!!!!
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by Free(f): 8:24pm On Jan 31, 2006
Luther Vandros, i love him, R.I.P ma brotha
freddie jackson
micheal jackson
boyz 2 men
and all da rest.......
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by spikelord(m): 8:36pm On Jan 31, 2006
rashman:

joe should be the best.

Joe ke.

Where my Pipe Pipers is. R Kelly all the way.

Luther Vandross, Michael Jackson's style is POP if I'm right.

John Legend is not too bad, Brandy, Alicia Keys, Ashanti, Aaliyah, Mary J Blige, TLC,Destiny's child, LV (Gangsters' paradise). I still have more of them but I can't remember.

I mustn't forget these three: Tony Braxton, Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by spikelord(m): 8:37pm On Jan 31, 2006
Dido, Vanessa Carlton and Avril Lavigne!
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by Michaela(f): 9:30pm On Jan 31, 2006
Avril Lavigne is not a R&B artiste, furthermore she is too young to be listed in a "Best of list"!!!!!
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by spikelord(m): 10:16pm On Jan 31, 2006
What does she take
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by Michaela(f): 12:18am On Feb 03, 2006
I think one can categorize her music as punk pop
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by aljohnson: 1:37am On Feb 07, 2006
R kelly ( slow wild),

Joe (more & more) and

Nick cannon.
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by Free(f): 8:37pm On Feb 08, 2006
Nick Cannon is u serious??
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by raregroove(m): 6:06pm On Feb 10, 2006
spikelord:

Luther Vandross, Michael Jackson's style is POP if I'm right.

Oh yeah? So let's put this into perspective; pop refers to popular music, so irrespective of its genre, music can be deemed to be pop, depending on whether it has a wide appeal.

So in simple words, r&b can be pop.
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by raregroove(m): 6:36pm On Feb 10, 2006
So IB if understand your topic, you have a hunch that the best r&b artiste(s) of all times may be associated with the 90s? I don't think so.

The 90s marked a very poor period in the history of black music, I agree that there were a few artistes of exceptional quality, but in comparison to the quality found in the 80s, 70s, 60s etc, it pales in comparison.

Mary J Blige undisputedly was the most influential r&b diva of the 90s. I'm ashamed at what we consider to be r&b today, the so called neo-classic soul (d'angelo, chico debarge, maxwell, erkyah, angie stone, raphael sadiq & co) managed to restore some glory to the shameless output recorded by some of the artistes mentioned above by some fellow bloggers. Albeit this, some of the new jack swingers - Christopher Williams, Jodeci, Guy etc were influential in the early part of that decade.

As far as i'm concerned, the best r&b was being churned underground & the soulful stuff of that decade were made by the likes of Peabo, Anita Baker, Luther, James Ingram, Will Downing, Howard Hewett, Phil Perry, Rachelle Ferrell, Regina Belle & artistes of that ilk. If you want to hear the best, i'm afraid you need to move further afield.

That's my two cents worth.
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by walaky(m): 2:28am On Feb 15, 2006
everyone has his or her favorite artist, though i haven't seen all the list a lot of people have been placing as their all time fav but my eyes can't catch Ginuwine or Musiq in this list and neither have i seen Brian Mcnight, everybody has their favorite and all are equally good. i can't make a list as it would go and on, want my advice? JUST STICK TO YOUR FAVORITE AND I'LL STICK WITH MINE TOO, lol
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by QueenB1(f): 12:21pm On Feb 17, 2006
@ hot angel wad do u mean by Kelly Clarkson? dat vanilla face! We are talking about RnB Singers dis mean black RnB not whities! My list are: Usher, Destinys, Ashanti, Ciara, Rihanna,Alicia, R.Kells, Omarion, Marques Houston, Joe, J-Lo(allthough she is fair), Toni Braxton, B2k, Blaqque, Tlc, Mariah,
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by Free(f): 1:18am On Feb 18, 2006
r kelly
tamia
jagged edge
boys 2 men
jaheim
gerald levert
mariah carey
alicia keys
kc and jojo
brandi
toni braxton
r l
all 4 one
maxwell
usher
genuwine
mya
kelly price
whitney houston? undecided
cant think of anymore,
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by blkamrcngl(f): 1:26am On Feb 18, 2006
Wow, everybody is talking about new artists (1990 and up).

A lot of people don't really count this kind of R&B as real R&B. I think of that more as Hip Hop than R&B.

To me, the greatest true R&B artists of all time are Aretha Franklin, Al Green, The Isley Brothers, Temptations, James Brown, etc.
Then again, I was raised with a greater appreciation for old school than new school. New school (1990 up) just doesn't have the same kind of passion. tongue
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by Rhodalyn(f): 10:47am On Feb 20, 2006
ciara
beyonce
missy
Aaliyah
usher
sean paul
bow wow
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by Free(f): 5:27pm On Feb 20, 2006
charlie wilson
teddy pendergrass
stephanie mills
eddie levert
gerald levert
lionel richie
jon b
barry white
the isley brothers
anita baker
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by mochafella(m): 4:34am On Feb 23, 2006
Rhodalyn:

ciara
beyonce
missy
Aaliyah
usher
sean paul
bow wow

Strange I thot bow, missy and sean de paul were "hip-hop/rap/dancehall" artistes
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by babwilms(m): 6:30pm On Mar 13, 2006
R Kelly then Usher
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by xxshawtyxx(f): 2:07pm On Mar 17, 2006
Usher and B2K
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by spikelord(m): 4:48pm On Mar 24, 2006
:p
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by gem87(f): 5:42pm On Mar 29, 2006
this is a very difficult choice to make,
i mean u can't really choose can you?
Destiny's Child, Mary J but then i give it up for Alicia Keys and Mariah
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by GREED(m): 10:01pm On Mar 31, 2006
The best RnB artists were as following:
sam cooke
marvin gaye
The Temptations
Teddy Pendergrass
Al Green
Luther Vandross
Michael Jackson
The Jackson5
Barry white
R.kelly
Usher
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by GREED(m): 10:04pm On Mar 31, 2006
Sorry but my list continues,
Jodeci
k-ci and JoJo
Jon b.
New Edition(with and without Bobby Brown)
BellbivDevoe
Mary j.blige
Re: The best R'n'B Artistes of all times by gentleaura(m): 4:46am On Apr 01, 2006
People please, dont get it twisted when they say "best ever" not "presently", We are talking about classics, songs that you remembered listening to when you were young, yet still they are still on the airwaves, bring on the classics please!

Where's Mariah Carey?
Diana Ross,
Anita Baker,
Patti Labelle,
Gladys Knight,
Aretha Franklin,
Luther Vandross,
Michael Jackson,
Janet Jackson,
The Isley Brothers,
Quincy Jones,
Prince,
Joe,
Al Green,
Barry White,
Marvin Gaye,

Whats going on with "Let me hold you now" now?, I bet its forgotten already, but legends are forever!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Am I The Only Person Who Doesn't Like D'banj's Oliver Twist / Download New MP3: Jonnykage Ft Iceboxx, Upper X- Chi Chum Chin / Wizkid - Ginger Feat. Burna Boy ( Official Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.