Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,743 members, 7,820,556 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn (12804 Views)

Some Nigerian Drivers Can Be Dirty!! (pictures) / 15 Annoying Things Our Neighbours Do With Their Cars / Annoying Things Lagos Drivers Do On The Road By AutoReportNG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by Chuksgeo: 8:29am On Feb 07, 2018
at least it is not a crime

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by BedLam: 8:33am On Feb 07, 2018
Connoisseur:

Please tell me why someone should be reversing on a major road
it happens when the road is a single lane and no U turn sign.
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by Nobody: 8:34am On Feb 07, 2018
To inform people that you are on call with that you are driving. this to clear their doubting mind. The people might be your wife, girlfriend, colleagues, boss, friends or whoever.
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by Connoisseur(m): 8:42am On Feb 07, 2018
BedLam:
it happens when the road is a single lane and no U turn sign.
Then the wise thing would be to exit the major road where it's necessary and make a turn without affecting the free flow of traffic.
Reversing on a major road is a traffic offense in itself.

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by Ken4agent(m): 8:43am On Feb 07, 2018
Good writeup....I can relate to all
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by RealGucci: 8:45am On Feb 07, 2018
naso o.
but na mostly taxi dey horn like mumu
and dem micra dem
u need to horn cause d mumu wey dey your right fit no check him side mirror
next time u go bash am for road
den ejo sir
ejo sir
naso so beg.
in naija u need to press horn constantly
cause mad ppl are on d road
dull ppl as pedestrians
impatient okada riders who will rathee stay at middle of road
then awon ear piece rubber slippers guys
them go loud dia earpiece and wont walk against traffic.
naso u go crush them from back.
seen enuf dah died dat way
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by NafMarshal(m): 8:46am On Feb 07, 2018
AutoJoshNIG:

The essence of a car horn is to warn others your vehicle is approaching and to call people's attention to potential hazards. But it seems some drivers don't understand this as they tend to use the horn of their cars for practically any and everything. You "pah-pah" your horn to greet your neighbours when going out...  You "pah-pah-pah" when you want to buy Gala on the road... and the cycle goes on and on.

Statistically, honking is an aggressive act and should be avoided except absolutely necessary.

So if you've been using the horn of your car to do the following, now is the time to stop:

To greet
The horn is a warning and not a greeting device but some of us use it to greet all our neighbours when leaving for work and when heading back home. Imaging greeting and warning people at the same time. It's time to stop all the confusion. You remember that friend that came to visit you over the weekend, you waved them goodbye and they honked back at you instead of waving back.. lol

To vent their anger
This is the number 1 reason people use their horn in Nigeria. Everyone is vexing. Vexing because of traffic, vexing at the government, vexing at their last mess up. So they vent that anger on everyone on the road with that deafening horn. Just try to slow down for pedestrians at a zebra crossing and some drivers will attack you with the wrath of their horn from behind. Patience usually solves the problems better than the horn.

Just to play
Some drivers just honk along with the music from the radio. Some just keep tapping the horn continuously all the way to their destination especially the bike (Okada) riders. Before we know it now, government will just pass a law to be arresting drivers for honking their horn.

To call people especially the security guard when going out
There is a way some drivers have mastered the horn of their car, they even know how to use it to pronounce different names especially the names of their domestic staff. They can even form sentences like "Akpos, hurry up". In some countries, it is illegal to honk the horn of a stationary vehicle.

Honking at pedestrians or bikers
It is unfair when you intimidate pedestrians, bicycle riders and bike riders with the horn of your car. This is illegal in several countries that have laws protecting its citizens. Some drivers will blow their horn at pedestrians from behind for them to walk fast because they want to park their car on the shoulder of the road. Out of reflex, the pedestrian can even jump into the gutter or the biker can fall off the bike.

Let's learn to share the road with others.

Don't forget to like, rate, share and tell us the most absurd thing you've seen someone do with the horn of their car. 

https://autojosh.com/5-annoying-things-nigerian-drivers-do-with-their-car-horn/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

Virtually everyone including the op has done one if not all of these.. trust Nigerians, there r no saints
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by chukiz(m): 8:47am On Feb 07, 2018
When you have crazy drivers in Lagos
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by BedLam: 8:50am On Feb 07, 2018
Connoisseur:

Then the wise thing would be to exit the major road where it's necessary and make a turn without affecting the free flow of traffic.
Reversing on a major road is a traffic offense in itself.
There are roads where you don't have such near...or you don't live in Nigeria ?
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by ewebiodun: 9:01am On Feb 07, 2018
I have been driving my car without horn in Lagos for the past 2 months. My horn broke and I refused to fix it. Passengers riding in my car barely notices and I get to my destinations safely and on time too.

I hate when people use their horns unnecessarily, I don't hoot for for pedestrians or bikers.

Though its frustrating at times without a horn, but its an habit I want to inculcate and I hope others can as well
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by olowobaba10: 9:03am On Feb 07, 2018
THAT IS OUR NAIJA MENTALITY, IN PLACES LIKE THAILAND, YOU CAN GO DAYS WITHOUT HEARING A CAR HORN, YOU ONLY HONK WHEN IT IS VERY NECESSARY OR IN AN EMERGENCY SITUATION. THEY SAID IT IS TO REDUCE NOISE POLLUTION AND PANICS.
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by Larasisi(f): 9:22am On Feb 07, 2018
You forgot to add husbands using it on Sunday morning to make madam hurry up and come out in the process disturbing other neighbors
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by Connoisseur(m): 10:06am On Feb 07, 2018
BedLam:
There are roads where you don't have such near...or you don't live in Nigeria ?

I have always lived in Nigeria my friend. The truth is no matter how the road is, there is only a safer way to reverse without impending the flow of traffic.
The problem is our selfishness, once we have the need for a u-turn, we need to make it there and then thus inconveniencing other road users.
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by sheypian(m): 11:01am On Feb 07, 2018
I have driven without horns several times, but my people,Hmmmmmn we have a lot of walking dead and deaf people. Who ouldnt even realize a car is coming until you BLAST that horn on the road o,if you don't use your horn you might end up hitting someone without you knowing!
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by 1miccza: 2:34pm On Feb 07, 2018
Emmy3:
6. To draw the attention of people that they have a new car....

Nairalanders, please help a brother in need.
View the topic below for more info.
https://www.nairaland.com/4331505/urgent-need-personal-business-loan

Send a pm.
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by StarryV(f): 3:44pm On Feb 07, 2018
How about those annoying police vans blowing their annoying sirens in a traffic expecting the road to clear automatically the way the red sea parted for the Isrealites to pass. Mtcheeeew angry
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by StarryV(f): 3:46pm On Feb 07, 2018
Larasisi:
You forgot to add husbands using it on Sunday morning to make madam hurry up and come out in the process disturbing other neighbors
You nailed it. kikikikiki grin Dont mind these husbands that will not allow us to tie our gele very well
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by StarryV(f): 3:48pm On Feb 07, 2018
ewebiodun:
I have been driving my car without horn in Lagos for the past 2 months. My horn broke and I refused to fix it. Passengers riding in my car barely notices and I get to my destinations safely and on time too.

I hate when people use their horns unnecessarily, I don't hoot for for pedestrians or bikers.

Though its frustrating at times without a horn, but its an habit I want to inculcate and I hope others can as well
You really don't wanna fix it or maybe the money never complete grin
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by Tunks2017(m): 4:38pm On Feb 07, 2018
Nigerian drivers like to abuse the horn and are very impatient sad................
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by spartanian(m): 5:08pm On Feb 07, 2018
No nation horns uselessly more than India
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by 3kay945(m): 12:36am On Feb 08, 2018
Why won't I blast horn You want me to gamb student Abi Okada and keke for these our tiny roads?! I use the horn aggressively often. grin
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by winner37(m): 11:34am On Feb 18, 2022
I do noticed this too and all the people doing this illegal honking i put them in different classes.
1.pride
2.ignorance
3.senselesness
4.stupidity
5.recklesness
6.callous set of people
7.blood sucking family
8.alcoholic lovers
9. Having urgent pussy to pick somewhere with a rented car
10. Honking just for fun.

(1) (2) (Reply)

See How To Debadge A Mercedes Benz CLA 250 Or Any Car Brand / 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car / Innoson Motors Set To Feature On BBC,BBC Correspondence Pays Them Visit(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.