Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,095 members, 7,825,456 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:11 PM

Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down (2534 Views)

NANS Gives Multi-choice Company Seven Days To Begin Pay-as-you-view Billing Or.. / Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase / Multichoice, DSTV/GOTV To Shut Down June 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by olatade(m): 12:53pm On Feb 08, 2018
BREAKING: MULTI CHOICE, DSTV/GOTV TO SHUT DOWN FEBRUARY 8, 2018 Nigerian authorities have notified the management of MultiChoice DSTV/GOTV that their operations in Nigeria will come to an end in 2019 as their license expires June next year. According to a letter to that effect (seen by Daily Times reporter) issued on Tuesday by the Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation(NBC), the license issued to them in 2014 by NBC will not be renewed because it was not in line with Digital Switch Over (DSO) White Paper. If Multichoice DSTV/GOTV will ever operate in Nigeria again after expiration of its license, the only option left for them is to go to licensed Signal Distribution company, that is Pinnacle Communications Ltd or ITS. GOTV has been accused of being used as a conduit to siphon foreign exchange from Nigeria by its parent company, South African Multi Choice DSTV ……Details later

Read more at: https://dailytimes.ng/breaking-multi-choice-dstv-gotv-shut/

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by FarahAideed: 12:57pm On Feb 08, 2018
The price of DSTV subscriptions will definitely go up of they choose to stay
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by TheFreeOne: 1:02pm On Feb 08, 2018
It would have been great a opportunity if TSTV and other indigenous companies can seize the moment.

So many expectations from TSTV but...time will tell?
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by uboma(m): 1:04pm On Feb 08, 2018
What is the content of the Digital Switch Over White Paper?

DStv should be made to adopt pay as you view billing option before renewing their license come 2019.

They are fleecing their Nigerian subscribers.
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by bettercreature(m): 1:10pm On Feb 08, 2018
TheFreeOne:
It would have been great a opportunity if TSTV and other indigenous companies can seize the moment.

So many expectations from TSTV but...time will tell?
We should appreciate all these South African companies for once! They always brings latest technologies to Nigeria and Africa as a whole.They have been showing us the world since around 1997 we shouldn’t forget that because of one TSTV
There is nothing like shutting down they just have to renew their license
You guys should remember we are nothing without all these South African companies

6 Likes

Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by Nobody: 1:16pm On Feb 08, 2018
Who will replace them? Startimes? TSTV? They better stay till we get a worthy replacement angry

bettercreature:
We should appreciate all these South African companies for once! They always brings latest technologies to Nigeria and Africa as a whole.They have been showing us the world since around 1997 we shouldn’t forget that because of one TSTV
[b]You guys should remember we are nothing without all these South African companie[/b]s
Thank you jare. We keep complaining about multichoice when we should be commending them. Fine, they make profit, but what can't be cured must be endured till we get an indigenous company that can match them technology and entertainment wise!

@bolded, we are good without SA companies, we just need to work harder and invest in areas that are attractive to foreigners.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by TheFreeOne: 1:19pm On Feb 08, 2018
bettercreature:
You guys should remember we are nothing without all these South African companies
Really? You are nothing without south africa? Pls count me out of that nothingness.

And so because they've been showing the world we should allow them continue to milk us unfairly and subvert our economy? And which technology did they bring that other operators can't provide?

For any economy to grow there must be healthy competition and not some behemoth that'll keep monopolizing the system to stifle competitors for their selfish interests.
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by bettercreature(m): 1:30pm On Feb 08, 2018
TheFreeOne:

Really? You are nothing without south africa? Pls count me out of that nothingness.

And so because they've been showing the world we should allow them continue to milk us unfairly and subvert our economy? And which technology did they bring that other operators can't provide?

For any economy to grow there must be healthy competition and not some behemoth that'll keep monopolizing the system to stifle competitors for their selfish interests.
Yes we are nothing without South African companies! They brings all the good things in this world to Nigeria before any other country.They have over 8 companies in Nigeria,treats Nigerians like a king unlike Chinese,Lebanese or Indian companies that treats us like trash
TSTv is a fraudulent company that tried to scam Nigerians by pirating beIN sport, GOd so good they were exposed before they start selling the decoders
Mind you government are not helping DSTv or monopolizing anything! Dstv is just the best though you are right about healthy competition but we should stop condemning South African companies

2 Likes

Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by bettercreature(m): 1:37pm On Feb 08, 2018
candy:

Thank you jare! We keep complaining about multichoice when we should be commending them. Fine, they make profit, but what can't be cured must be endured till we get an indigenous company that can match them technology and entertainment wise!

Who will replace them? Startimes? TSTV? They better stay till we get a worthy replacement angry
Dont mind them we are so ungrateful in Nigeria.
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by MPSA(m): 1:41pm On Feb 08, 2018
bettercreature:
Yes we are nothing without South African companies! They brings all the good things in this world to Nigeria before any other country.They have over 8 companies in Nigeria,treats Nigerians like a king unlike Chinese,Lebanese or Indian companies that treats us like trash
TSTv is a fraudulent company that tried to scam Nigerians by pirating beIN sport, GOd so good they were exposed before they start selling the decoders
Mind you government are not helping DSTv or monopolizing anything! Dstv is just the best though you are right about healthy competition but we should stop condemning South African companies

Nigeria need a leader like you, My country is trying very hard to change the view of Africa, Our service is the best in the continent, Everything is excellent from my country, Much love Brother.

2 Likes

Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by Nobody: 1:44pm On Feb 08, 2018
bettercreature:
Dont mind them we are so ungrateful in Nigeria.

I modified though... I don't agree with the last part of your post...we are actually something without the SA companies. But I agree that for now, we should appreciate them! They are really good at what they do...MTN, Shoprite, Multichoice...
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by DIKEnaWAR: 1:45pm On Feb 08, 2018
Time they shut them down and chase them out!
We are tired of them ripping us off. We can do without TV.

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by MPSA(m): 1:54pm On Feb 08, 2018
candy:

We keep complaining about multichoice when we should be commending them. Fine, they make profit, but what can't be cured must be endured till we get an indigenous company that can match them technology and entertainment wise!

@bolded, we are good without SA companies, we just need to work harder and invest in areas that are attractive to foreigners.

My sister! You aren't good at all without SA, When you go to your malls, You must know South Africa is behind your malls, Many good stuff will come from SA to your country, if only you support SA products.
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by Omololu2121: 1:54pm On Feb 08, 2018
DIKEnaWAR:

are they forcing you to buy it?

We have a lot of politicians that have stole a lot of money from this country, who is stopping them from investing their money in a business like this
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by Nobody: 1:56pm On Feb 08, 2018
Dstv should be sold per hour or pay as you go like someone suggested.
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by robotix: 2:53pm On Feb 08, 2018
candy:

Thank you jare. We keep complaining about multichoice when we should be commending them. Fine, they make profit, but what can't be cured must be endured till we get an indigenous company that can match them technology and entertainment wise!

kwese TV will replace them.
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by Nobody: 2:53pm On Feb 08, 2018
MPSA:

My sister! You aren't good at all without SA, When you go to your malls, You must know South Africa is behind your malls, Many good stuff will come from SA to your country, if only you support SA products.
Ha ha ha...I have to agree that we have a long way to go...I don't want to argue blindly. Personally, I support the 'better' product regardless of where it comes from. If Startimes steps up their game today and give better entertainment package than Dstv, then I move over to them, same with globacom and the rest.
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by Nobody: 2:56pm On Feb 08, 2018
robotix:
kwese TV will replace them.
Really? undecided
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by robotix: 2:58pm On Feb 08, 2018
candy:

Really? undecided
Yup... They are in Nigeria already and other African countries, including South Africa.
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by Nobody: 4:41pm On Feb 08, 2018
robotix:
Yup... They are in Nigeria already and other African countries, including South Africa.

Una go cry if kwese replace DStv lol. Kwese that are charging 6k plus per month with very weak content. Their content is not even as rich as DStv family for 3600. DStv compact at 6k. They don't even have flexible packages, so if u cannot afford 6k per month no tv for u. At least dstv have packages for 1,900 and 3,600
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by Nobody: 4:49pm On Feb 08, 2018
DIKEnaWAR:

Pls explain how they are ripping u off. They are not forcing anybody to pay a certain amount. Dstv is the only world class pay tv in Nigeria at the moment. The rest are mediocre. And they have different plans, u can enjoy dstv for as low as 1,900 per month and if that is too much u can get gotv which is cheaper and still own by multichoice. And if u want premium u have to pay premium, I don't see any rip off here. Toyota makes the cheap Yaris and also make he very expensive Lexus. How is that a rip off?u want premium u have to pay for it, that's how it is allover the world.
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by robotix: 5:43pm On Feb 08, 2018
greenhulk:

Una go cry if kwese replace DStv lol. Kwese that are charging 6k plus per month with very weak content. Their content is not even as rich as DStv family for 3600. DStv compact at 6k. They don't even have flexible packages, so if u cannot afford 6k per month no tv for u. At least dstv have packages for 1,900 and 3,600
They are still developing
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by Nobody: 5:45pm On Feb 08, 2018
robotix:
They are still developing

So who is supposed to have more flexible packages? A developing company or an already developed company?
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by japhet1902: 6:31pm On Feb 08, 2018
I want to sale the decoder or can they get it? I have both
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by MorataFC: 7:20pm On Feb 08, 2018
uboma:
What is the content of the Digital Switch Over White Paper?

DStv should be made to adopt pay as you view billing option before renewing their license come 2019.

They are fleecing their Nigerian subscribers.
gbam
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by MPSA(m): 9:57am On Feb 09, 2018
candy:

Ha ha ha...I have to agree that we have a long way to go...I don't want to argue blindly. Personally, I support the 'better' product regardless of where it comes from. If Startimes steps up their game today and give better entertainment package than Dstv, then I move over to them, same with globacom and the rest.

My sister! You don't have that strength to beat your chest like this, You won't survive without SA products. I don't think you want to loose this grin Fresh Bread My Sister grin

http://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj5-Iigu5jZAhWBk1kKHU6JAeQQFgguMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nairaland.com%2F3650559%2Fshoprite-bread-galore-photos&usg=AOvVaw0G8eSH68OsOJUZ_z24zf3r
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by timzyrhymes(m): 10:53am On Feb 09, 2018
candy:

I modified though... I don't agree with the last part of your post...we are actually something without the SA companies. But I agree that for now, we should appreciate them! They are really good at what they do...MTN, Shoprite, Multichoice...
He he he..kindly do you underground research before you comment,do you truly know who owns shop-rite?
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by MPSA(m): 11:07am On Feb 09, 2018
Almost 90 % of retailers in Nigeria are from SA : Game, Sales House, Mr Price, Jet, Pep Store, Debonairs Pizza, Spar, MTN, BBnaija is also from SA wink; ext...... ''No other country in the world will help you like SA.''
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by MPSA(m): 11:22am On Feb 09, 2018
Before 1994, No one was willing to help you, now things are changing because of SA grin
Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by Nobody: 11:27am On Feb 09, 2018
timzyrhymes:

He he he..kindly do you underground research before you comment,do you truly know who owns shop-rite?

Re: Breaking: Multi Choice, Dstv/gotv To Shut Down by timzyrhymes(m): 4:26pm On Feb 13, 2018
candy:

* smiles dearie,nice one I must commend, for the records I said you should go do an underground research o who truly owns here in Nigeria..thank you #peace

(1) (Reply)

10 Movies We Can’t Wait To See In 2017 / Banky W's :the Wedding Party 1 Is Pure S**t ! (part 1) / (good News) Tstv Relaunches, Begins Decoder Sales In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.