Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,739 members, 7,831,360 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:40 PM

Killings: Creation Of Grazing Routes ‘A Recipe For More Chaos’ – Ogbeh - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Killings: Creation Of Grazing Routes ‘A Recipe For More Chaos’ – Ogbeh (705 Views)

Mansur Dan Ali Calls For Suspension Of Grazing Law / Benue Killings: Buratai Under Fire For Suggesting Review Of Grazing Law / Herdsmen Willing To Pay Tax In Support Of Grazing Reserves - Min. Of Agriculture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Killings: Creation Of Grazing Routes ‘A Recipe For More Chaos’ – Ogbeh by deji17: 3:32pm On Feb 08, 2018
Killings: Creation Of Grazing Routes ‘A Recipe For More Chaos’ – Ogbeh
Akinola Ajibola
Updated February 7, 2018

Killings: Why Ranching Remains The Best Solution – Agric Minister
Mr Audu Ogbeh

The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Mr Audu Ogbeh, has ruled out the creation of routes for open grazing as the solution to the clashes between farmers and herdsmen in Nigeria.

Speaking on the crisis during his appearance on a special Channels Television programme – The Core on Wednesday, Mr Ogbeh described such recommendation as “a recipe for more chaos”.

READ ALSO: Army Launches ‘Exercise Cat Race’ To Tackle Killings In Benue, Other States

Instead, he maintained that establishment of cattle colonies and ranches would go a long way in addressing the issue but most people are against the idea because ranches are poorly managed.

“It’s very nice to say ranches won’t work, they won’t work because they were not well managed. It’s not enough to cut out an area and say it’s a grazing reserve – grow the grass,” he said.

The minister recalled a period when he was in Katsina State with Governor Aminu Masari who was informed that about 3,000 cows have just arrived in the state from the Republic of Niger.

Ogbeh, who said he was widely insulted over his comments on the social media, noted that he had warned state governments to take proactive steps to prevent the ugly incidents.

He was, however, disappointed that the responses he got from a majority of the governors were not encouraging.

The Minister said: “Two years ago when I came into the Ministry, I wrote to all the state governors saying, ‘we face danger and this crisis can only get worse if we do nothing’.

“Can we have some lands in your state where we create large reserves of ranches to keep these cattle and give them the grass, the water, and the medication they need? Some replied positively, and some said no.”

He further accused the governors of being careless in addressing the crises and called for a reform in the management of livestock in the country.

Mr Ogbeh made the comments the same day lawmakers at the House of Representatives asked President Muhammadu Buhari to sack the Inspector General of Police, Mr Ibrahim Idris.

The Federal Government has been under intense pressure over the killing of several people in Benue and Taraba among other states by suspected herdsmen.

As part of efforts to address the issues, the Nigerian Army has launched a new operation codenamed “Ayem Akpatuma”, meaning ‘Cat Race’ which would run from February 15 to March 31 in Benue, Taraba, Kogi, Nasarawa, Kaduna and Niger states.

https://www.channelstv.com/2018/02/07/killings-ranching-remains-best-solution-agric-minister/?

Re: Killings: Creation Of Grazing Routes ‘A Recipe For More Chaos’ – Ogbeh by aminu790(m): 3:33pm On Feb 08, 2018
undecided
Re: Killings: Creation Of Grazing Routes ‘A Recipe For More Chaos’ – Ogbeh by Mogidi: 3:39pm On Feb 08, 2018
Send all cows to Kano, including the COW-mmander in chief.

1 Like

Re: Killings: Creation Of Grazing Routes ‘A Recipe For More Chaos’ – Ogbeh by deji17: 3:40pm On Feb 08, 2018
This is a reasonable proposal. Hopefully all the stakeholders can come to an agreement on this.

1 Like

Re: Killings: Creation Of Grazing Routes ‘A Recipe For More Chaos’ – Ogbeh by okuneddie(m): 4:03pm On Feb 08, 2018
let them stay in the north west....even sokoto did not give them land
Re: Killings: Creation Of Grazing Routes ‘A Recipe For More Chaos’ – Ogbeh by TheKingIsHere: 4:14pm On Feb 08, 2018
Let them stay in the north with Buhari.

We don't need them here.

Re: Killings: Creation Of Grazing Routes ‘A Recipe For More Chaos’ – Ogbeh by FarahAideed: 4:18pm On Feb 08, 2018
Audu Ogbeh shut the hell up you useless man ...Nobody is offering Fulanis any single grazing route , colony or ranch space in the middle belt or south better advice them to heed governors Ganduje advice and take their cattle to Falgore forest in Kano
Re: Killings: Creation Of Grazing Routes ‘A Recipe For More Chaos’ – Ogbeh by Nobody: 5:28pm On Feb 08, 2018
Mr. Audu Ode, are we still having this conversation about cattles? Haven’t we all agreed states should handle it as deemed fit and did the Kano SG not provide a land for cattle breeders in Kano?

Don’t bother us with this nonsense. If government is going to take interest in ranching then it better provide funds to take care of farmers of every other types of animals.

Cattle rearing is no Federal Government’s business, it is a privately owned business. Owners of it should do what is right and legal in handling their businesses. Don’t disturb us!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Killings: Creation Of Grazing Routes ‘A Recipe For More Chaos’ – Ogbeh by tarano: 11:15pm On Feb 08, 2018
I agree to Cattle colony in every state of the federation. As long as Buhari will create Colonies for all farmers in every state of the federation.

I am a lobsters, snails, and crayfish entrepreneur. Can I start an aqua-culture business in Kano state? Will they give me land for free Will they sell land to me.

Can a Yoruba farmer from Oyo go to Sokoto state to buy land and start a pig farm?

I am an entrepreneur and wine and beer connoisseur. I will like to open a new market for my business. Can I start a small local brewery or winery in Katsina state Will the governor give me land to start my business? Will they even sell land to me to start my business?

(1) (Reply)

Open Letter To Gov Umahi / Boko Haram No Longer A Serious Fighting Force — Osinbajo / I Won't Allow Nigeria To Be Dumping Ground-buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.