Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,935 members, 7,952,769 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 11:37 PM

Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders (1092 Views)

Kaduna Seals Entry Points, Bans Night Travels For Essential Services / Miyetti Allah Bans Night Grazing Nationwide / Edo Bans Night Grazing And Carrying Of Arms Because Of Herdsmen/Farmers Clashes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by Blue3k2: 7:19pm On Feb 08, 2018
The Edo State Government has banned night grazing and the carrying of guns by herders in the state. It has also set up a seven-member committee in each of the local government areas in the state to check clashes between herders and farmers.

According to a statement on Thursday by the spokesperson to the governor, Crusoe Osagie, the committees will include the chairpersons or heads of the LGAs, the Divisional Police Officers (DPOs), representatives of State Security Service and four representatives of communities.

These decisions were announced after a meeting of Governor Godwin Obaseki with heads of Hausa/Fulani communities from the 18 LGAs in the state.

Mr. Obasaki said the state government would release the report of clashes between herdsmen and farmers in the state to the committees for review.

“The committees will ensure the registration of all the Seriki Fulani in every community across all the local government areas and the Seriki Fulani will liaise with everyone rearing cattle in the area.”

According to the governor, another committee to be headed by him will include the State Commissioner of Police, the Director of the State Security Service in the state, the Commander of 4 Brigade of the Nigerian Army and other members drawn from communities across the three senatorial districts of the state.

“Every three months, we will meet with representatives of the local government committees to review and examine the progress being made in resolving the herdsmen/farmers’ clashes in the state,” the governor said.

“A special team made up of the Police, Army, Civil Defence Corps and other security agencies in the state will carry out random patrols and search operations. Any herdsman found possessing firearms will be arrested and charged with illegal possession of firearms as a cattle rearer does not need an AK 47 to herd cattle.

“We will not accept anyone with firearms and anyone found with arms will face the law. We need information to succeed in this fight and information is vital to the police and other security agencies. We assure you of your safety.

“We have placed a ban on night herding; nobody should herd their cattle at night. We have also placed a ban on hunting activities by people from other states in the name of hunting,” Mr. Obaseki said.

The Chairman of the Hausa Community in the state, Badamasi Saleh, requested for protection of “sources of security information, as most members of the communities find it difficult to volunteer information to the security agencies as they fear that their identities would not be protected.”

Usman Abdullahi, representing the Hausa/Fulani community in Edo Central Senatorial District, pledged the cooperation of his people with the state security agencies “to fish out any member of their communities who engages in criminal activities.”

Abdulkareem Ibraheem, representing the Hausa/Fulani communities in Edo South, urged the state government to provide the necessary logistics that will aid the task of the monitoring committees in the various local government areas.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Johnson Kokumo, thanked members of the Hausa/Fulani community and assured that with their support, clashes between herdsmen and farmers would be checked in the state.

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/south-south-regional/258030-edo-bans-night-grazing-carrying-arm-herders.html

Front Page: lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by madridguy(m): 7:25pm On Feb 08, 2018
Good move.
Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by greencard: 7:25pm On Feb 08, 2018
which one is "night grazing" ??
ayam not understanding

1 Like

Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by Blue3k2: 7:32pm On Feb 08, 2018
greencard:
which one is "night grazing" ??

ayam not understanding

It's similar to the ban done in Ekiti. Ekiti limits time, place, and carrying arms. Only Benue and Taraba did a complete ban. Confused people on Nairaland seem to unaware of this fact. This is why they can praise Fayose but condemn Obaseki in same breath when they have same law.

The law forbids movement of cattle by herdsmen and owners of goat in the Ekiti after 6 p.m.

No cattle or other ruminants shall by any means move in the night. Movement shall be between 7am and 6pm”, a section of the bill reads.

Link
Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by BankeSmalls(f): 7:35pm On Feb 08, 2018
Cowards.

Ban every open cow grazing and animals roaming the state. Dont behave like my Ogun people.

1 Like

Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by Omololu2121: 7:38pm On Feb 08, 2018
This governor is a confuse man

Which one b night grazing again grin

1 Like

Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by buhariguy(m): 7:39pm On Feb 08, 2018
That is good.

1 Like

Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:44pm On Feb 08, 2018
Nice move
Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by BankeSmalls(f): 7:45pm On Feb 08, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
Nice move

Double faced turncoat.

2 Likes

Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by Nobody: 7:47pm On Feb 08, 2018
heck no. Dont give them an inch. They are not about cattle but terriosts.
Let the non violent fulani establish ranches

1 Like

Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by Omeokachie: 8:02pm On Feb 08, 2018
Playing politics with serious matter.

1 Like

Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by osazeeblue01: 8:04pm On Feb 08, 2018
that's moving of cows at night.

1 Like

Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by limeta(f): 8:54pm On Feb 08, 2018
Obaseki no grazing pls
Dont feel too comfortable mr Godwin no grazing is the best and only option
Herdsmen mostly kill during the day.

1 Like

Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by dlondonbadboy: 8:55pm On Feb 08, 2018
madridguy:
Good move.
shocked shocked
Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by luvinhubby(m): 8:55pm On Feb 08, 2018
Useless cowards.

1 Like

Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by dlondonbadboy: 8:57pm On Feb 08, 2018
I feel nothing but shame for Nigerians..

This is just the beginning...

Wait, has anybody seen my guy, omenka?

1 Like

Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by KingNom(m): 9:29pm On Feb 08, 2018
Who has noticed that it will be easy for the North to rig 2019 elections in favor of Buhari or his 'Protege'?

The Security Chiefs are MOSTLY Northerners, hence with the influence, they can win again!

Something SHOULD URGENTLY be done to correct the Federal Character Principle in Public Office Appointment (especially Security Chiefs) or else... (Remember Benue!)

Kindly reshare TILL it is fixed
Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by TheKingIsHere: 9:35pm On Feb 08, 2018
SweetPuffPuff:
heck no. Dont give them an inch. They are not about cattle but terriosts.
Let the non violent fulani establish ranches

Which state are you from?
Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by TheKingIsHere: 9:36pm On Feb 08, 2018
This is a good move.

Ban them and stop them from carrying arms and guns.
Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by TheKingdom: 9:50pm On Feb 08, 2018
See them, instead of having the courage to do the right thing, Edo people are again playing it safe...only that it does not guarantee life or development. You have nothing in common with Alhaji...
Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by Nobody: 10:08pm On Feb 08, 2018
TheKingIsHere:

Which state are you from?
Texas
Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by TheKingIsHere: 10:10pm On Feb 08, 2018
SweetPuffPuff:
Texas

I know you will show cowardice. You are here running your mouth and insulting a governor who has done something to protect his people.

We all know that none of your governors have the balls to make this kind of decision

1 Like

Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by docadams: 10:11pm On Feb 08, 2018
Similar to but falls short of what they practice in some regions in Ghana, where each herdsman is registered with an identity number.The identity number is then stamped on all the cows in the herdsman stead. So you can't leave your cattle to graze during forbidden hours or in forbidden places hoping to escape detection. Once a cow is caught, the owner can easily be traced.
Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by Nobody: 10:26pm On Feb 08, 2018
TheKingIsHere:

I know you will show cowardice. You are here running your mouth and insulting a governor who has done something to protect his people.

We all know that none of your governors have the balls to make this kind of decision
no, im serious. Im not nigerian

And it doesnt change the fact the fulani have done bad their host states. They are a terriost group ,why is any 1 governor accomodating them undecided
Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by TheKingIsHere: 10:31pm On Feb 08, 2018
SweetPuffPuff:
no, im serious. Im not nigerian

And it doesnt change the fact the fulani have done bad their host states. They are a terriost group ,why is any 1 gover accomodating them undecided

Well, let me believe that you aren't Nigerian.

One thing you should know is that most of these politicians are doing this to safe face and cover up for their ineptitude.

I don't blame them though because if they ban grazing totally without a formidable backing by the police, then they will be targeted by the terrorist herdsmen who have backing by the president.

At the end the innocent people will suffer . That's what is happening now in benue state
Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by BeardedMeat(m): 10:43pm On Feb 08, 2018
dlondonbadboy:
I feel nothing but shame for Nigerians..

This is just the beginning...

Wait, has anybody seen my guy, omenka?
Omenka and all his known aliases are in the east taking refuge from rampaging herdsmen I gathered.

Only time would tell if Obaseki is right.
Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by dlondonbadboy: 10:46pm On Feb 08, 2018
BeardedMeat:
Omenka and all his known aliases are in the east taking refuge from rampaging herdsmen I gathered.

Only time would tell if Obaseki is right.

Chaii...My heart goes out to him and his people o..These are really trying times for middle belt people...

Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by Nobody: 10:51pm On Feb 08, 2018
TheKingIsHere:

Well, let me believe that you aren't Nigerian.

One thing you should know is that most of these politicians are doing this to safe face and cover up for their ineptitude.

I don't blame them though because if they ban grazing totally without a formidable backing by the police, then they will be targeted by the terrorist herdsmen who have backing by the president.

At the end the innocent people will suffer . That's what is happening now in benue state
im aware thats whats happening in benue ,thats why i said not to accommodate them killers
Re: Edo Bans Night-grazing, Carrying Of Arm By Herders by BeardedMeat(m): 11:25pm On Feb 08, 2018
dlondonbadboy:

Chaii...My heart goes out to him and his people o..These are really trying times for middle belt people...
I swear! If you spot him, tell him i love him regardless of the wailer/zombie dichotomy. sad

(1) (Reply)

Governor Okorocha Snobs Imo Women, Locks The Government House Gate / Senator Lado Leads Thousands To PDP In Katsina / How Opeyemi Bamidele And Others Were Shot At APC Secretariat In Ado Ekiti(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.