Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,968 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:07 AM

Nigeria: Mobile Payments Still Hugely Untapped - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria: Mobile Payments Still Hugely Untapped (7303 Views)

How Seo & Content Can Contribute Hugely To Your Online Success / The Rise To Dominance Of Digital Wallets And Mobile Payments / Key Benefits Of Mobile Payments To Increase Sales (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: Mobile Payments Still Hugely Untapped by 0luwatope(m): 12:22pm On Mar 27, 2018
talk2hb1:
How do I get started tapping into this opportunity of mobile payment when investors are not their to help finance your project undecided
Drop me 25million naira and see me develop my secret mobile payment solution and take it to market in less than six month

25million is too small to start a mobile payment solution, trust me, when you see CBN's license lason, na flee u go flee
Re: Nigeria: Mobile Payments Still Hugely Untapped by bigtt76(f): 2:11pm On Mar 27, 2018
Well in some way, to our own benefit because it helps protect the consumers from operators that would collect your deposits and disappears with it. Mobile Money operators in Nigeria by being run in conjunction with the banks, have the banks holding the deposits and by so doing, its covered by the National Deposits Insurance scheme of the CBN.

Earlier in the lifetime of mPesa, this was the issue raised, mPesa deposits were not insured and as a result was opened to being exploited by the operators but thank God it was not.

Chuks9000:

Ok. Here in Naija, the Telcos are required to work in partnerships with a bank (for the protection of public funds).
A lot would happen if the Telcos are allowed to manage monies outside the BOFIA.
.: the wallets you mentioned are either managed by the banks or by the FinTechs in conjunction with their banks. Anywhichway, your mobile number can be a wallet with any of the systems of your choice.
The truth is that, we are yet to embrace mobile money. Maybe because of lack of trust on our part as end users or because the institutions involved are yet to make it appealing enough for it to trend.
Re: Nigeria: Mobile Payments Still Hugely Untapped by Nobody: 3:18pm On Mar 27, 2018
Mpesa cannot work in Nigeria. It is a monopolized business. There is no other sustainable mobile payment in Kenya other than mpesa now talk about mobile payment being untapped in Nigeria. Mobile payments have reached the climax in Nigeria given the situation of the economy. There are no pos and arms like we have on other countries in Kenya. Every citizen of Kenya has got an ID which makes it easier. You cannot register a safaricom sim in Kenya without a kenya ID even as a foreigner. It’s abot understanding your environment.
Re: Nigeria: Mobile Payments Still Hugely Untapped by Chuks9000: 3:25pm On Mar 27, 2018
bigtt76:
Well in some way, to our own benefit because it helps protect the consumers from operators that would collect your deposits and disappears with it. Mobile Money operators in Nigeria by being run in conjunction with the banks, have the banks holding the deposits and by so doing, its covered by the National Deposits Insurance scheme of the CBN.

Earlier in the lifetime of mPesa, this was the issue raised, mPesa deposits were not insured and as a result was opened to being exploited by the operators but thank God it was not.

Thank you for the apt NDIC brief. It couldn't have been better explained.
But 2 questions: y thank God the public funds with mpesa is not insured? Have they found a way around the risk?
Re: Nigeria: Mobile Payments Still Hugely Untapped by alexxo11(m): 3:33pm On Mar 27, 2018
majekdom2:
Mpesa cannot work in Nigeria. It is a monopolized business. There is no other sustainable mobile payment in Kenya other than mpesa now talk about mobile payment being untapped in Nigeria. Mobile payments have reached the climax in Nigeria given the situation of the economy. There are no pos and arms like we have on other countries in Kenya. Every citizen of Kenya has got an ID which makes it easier. You cannot register a safaricom sim in Kenya without a kenya ID even as a foreigner. It’s abot understanding your environment.
boss at times its good to research ....if u cannot register for a safaricom line then how are the foreigners surviving?mpesa is not the only mobile money platform....there is airtel money, and others ...just that mpesa is the most used.
Re: Nigeria: Mobile Payments Still Hugely Untapped by Chuks9000: 5:33pm On Mar 27, 2018
majekdom2:
Every citizen of Kenya has got an ID which makes it easier. You cannot register a safaricom sim in Kenya without a kenya ID even as a foreigner. It’s abot understanding your environment.

Oga, I don't know you, but whomever you are, you have just mentioned the mother problem of Nigeria.

Imagine you trying to buy a pair of shoe for your unseen future spouse.

The state has refuse to ID it's citizens and by extension refuse to manage a database of its citizens.
Let me ask you, who is your state or national budget meant for?

We keep seeing budget figures, yet no one can tell us how many students or teachers the so called budget has planned for. Same for patients/medical practitioners, road users, manufacturers, farmers...basic census sef, etc.

It is very easy for them to loot money and hide it in another's name. That way, sudden riches cannot be challenged.

They can keep assassins under their wings and use them at will because forensics without database is failure. Beside hunger has made those pple to kill at the promise of a pack of cigarette.

A police man will tell you " I will shoot you and nothing will happen." If he carries out that threat, he will simply escape to another state and re-enroll in the same police with another name.

Even in this BVN era NPF still discovered 30,000 ghost workers recently. Imagine undecided

If we have a proper ID system, many ills will disappear. Take it or leave it.
Re: Nigeria: Mobile Payments Still Hugely Untapped by talk2hb1(m): 5:45pm On Mar 27, 2018
0luwatope:

25million is too small to start a mobile payment solution, trust me, when you see CBN's license lason, na flee u go flee
For Product Development cheesy
Re: Nigeria: Mobile Payments Still Hugely Untapped by talk2hb1(m): 5:46pm On Mar 27, 2018
Jethrolite:
All these secret solutions are usually full of shit.
Yes that was why Poo are poo in private (Secret wink )
Re: Nigeria: Mobile Payments Still Hugely Untapped by ainagbenga36: 6:36pm On Mar 27, 2018
with 30k pos,a browsing phone you can download the app from,u can make 5k-10k daily from it.mobile banking is highly untapped just look for a rural area,call me on 08104713862
Re: Nigeria: Mobile Payments Still Hugely Untapped by Nobody: 8:27pm On Mar 27, 2018
alexxo11:
boss at times its good to research ....if u cannot register for a safaricom line then how are the foreigners surviving?mpesa is not the only mobile money platform....there is airtel money, and others ...just that mpesa is the most used.
You will need an Alien ID. airtel money tried to copy Mpesa because they couldnt get customers. How many Kenyans are using Airtel or has Airtel as their main line? Mpesa has monopolized the mobile payment system in Kenya. there is bitpesa and the rest but how have they scaled? its not that Mpesa is mostly used ], Mpesa is what is used. There are so many individuals without bank accounts in kenya, they transact with Mpesa and Mpesa alone!
Re: Nigeria: Mobile Payments Still Hugely Untapped by bigtt76(f): 2:19am On Mar 28, 2018
I was thanking God the MPESA's public fund deposits were not misappropriated by your operators (Safricom).

Yes after so much outcry by the Kenyan banks to the Central Bank of Kenya, I guess they are not being well regulated and ma dated by law to place the funds in an insured bank deposit.

Chuks9000:

Thank you for the apt NDIC brief. It couldn't have been better explained.
But 2 questions: y thank God the public funds with mpesa is not insured? Have they found a way around the risk?
Re: Nigeria: Mobile Payments Still Hugely Untapped by Pavore9: 8:11am On Mar 28, 2018
HAH:
you are right, this is one of the proposals of the mobile companies in Nigeria to have a mobile payment system like mpesa in Nigeria but it was blocked by the banks thorough vthe government, their fear is if this is allowed telecom companies will take one of the functions of banks, the CBN insisted mobile payment most pass through nibss . personally I believe telecom companies should start mobile payment without banks involve but should be regulated by nibss as well, may be an arm should be created within nibss to accommodate mobile money through telecom companies.

What are the charges associated with mpesa if I may ask?

This link can give you an insight http://www.mpesacharges.com/mpesa-charges/
Re: Nigeria: Mobile Payments Still Hugely Untapped by alexxo11(m): 9:25am On Mar 28, 2018
majekdom2:
You will need an Alien ID. airtel money tried to copy Mpesa because they couldnt get customers. How many Kenyans are using Airtel or has Airtel as their main line? Mpesa has monopolized the mobile payment system in Kenya. there is bitpesa and the rest but how have they scaled? its not that Mpesa is mostly used ], Mpesa is what is used. There are so many individuals without bank accounts in kenya, they transact with Mpesa and Mpesa alone!
i agree...you truly know what ur saying.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Looking For Capital For Your Business? Get It Now And Boost Your Business / Complete Affiliate Marketing Training: $100/day With Clickbank, Warriorplus,... / Spendy Amazon Service's

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.