Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,605 members, 7,809,213 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" (24239 Views)

Johnny Drille – How You My Friend (I Dey For You My Friend) Ft. Don Jazzy / Bbnaija: How Don Jazzy Reacted To Jeff’s Eviction / See how Don Jazzy replies fan who asked 'Why are people leaving your label?' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by Chrisbeks: 4:44pm On Feb 10, 2018
Mavin Record label’s artiste and Don Jazzy’s protégé, John Drille lands on the music scene with a peculiar folk sound. Unperturbed by the recent clichè offerings of his peers in music, he creates a comfortable niche for himself through his style of music.

Recently, Drille headlined the Make Music Lagos Festival in celebration of World Music Day alongside juju maestro, King Sunny Ade, Omawummi and Bez. Here, the University of Benin graduate talks about his music, influences, aspirations and inevitable challenges of being a musician.

When did you discover music, or did it discover you?

I like to think music discovered me. I was very little when I joined the children’s choir in my local church. My sister and I would always sing at night under the moonlight. Those were my earliest music memories. I pretty much grew up around musical instruments and they helped shape me to become a musician.

What does music in its entirety mean to you?

Beyond my day job, it’s almost everything to me. It’s almost like a life mission, to achieve more and more. It is love, it is passion, it is food, it is beauty, and it’s a lot of things to me.

Getting a record label isn’t a piece of cake; can you relay the journey leading to being signed on the Mavin platform?

I have been independent for a long time and atimes things were hard because I had to get everything by myself. My first contact with Mavin Records was with Don Jazzy in February 2015 when I dropped my cover of Di’ja’s song, ‘Awww’. He followed me on Twitter and told me he liked it and would love to hear more. We kept in contact over time and then he was silent for very long period. At some point, he was really silent and I figured maybe I shouldn’t hope too much and that I should just keep pushing myself, and everything. Then, sometime in August of 2016, I got a message on Twitter from Don Jazzy asking me if I was in Lagos at the moment, and thankfully I was. He invited me over to his office and let me know he wanted me to join Mavin Records. In March 2017, I was officially announced as a Mavin Records’ artiste.

Johnny Drille and the Mavin’s crew, has that always been your dream?

It had in fact been a dream for me and I’m glad it came true. I hope to fill up a stadium someday.

What does it feel like working on the same label with the likes of Tiwa Savage?

It feels great actually. The good thing is that everyone that I have met at the label is outstandingly established act, and it is some sort of motivation for me to aspire to achieve what they have achieved. It won’t come easy but I will try my best. It is like family over there, and you’ll be surprised how closely knit the tie is. Everyone is directly and indirectly a part of the other person’s journey at the label.

Do you work directly with Don Jazzy?

Yes. We all work directly with Don Jazzy. He is a very busy person but he still makes out time for everyone.

What’s working with him like?

He just keeps going and going almost like he is never going to get tired. Before we had extra producers, Don Jazzy was the only producer who did all the work. He’s an all round great person and if you ever get to meet him, you will know for certain.

Your creative direction is focused on folk music. Why folk music?

At some point, I was really looking for recognition in the music industry. The Nigerian music industry was quite saturated and one had to work extra hard in order to get noticed. I found the music of Owl City, then Mumford And Sons and sort of figured that if I could merge these kinds of styles with African elements and Pidgin English, and see how it turned out. Apparently, it turned out well, if not, I wouldn’t be here today.

Do you feel the folk music genre is one that would thrive commercially especially in a climate where Afro-pop offerings from Wizkid and Davido have claimed mainstream dominance?

I believe that every kind of music has got its own audience and that it is just a matter of finding them. Afro-pop is our sound and we can’t deny that, but at the same time, for an industry to grow and mature, it needs to give other genres of music a chance to shine. I’m really excited for my kind of music because it is gradually happening.

What challenges do you face as an up and coming act?

When I wasn’t signed to a label, things were a bit difficult, but since I joined Mavin, it’s been a much smoother ride.

Any plans for an album?

Absolutely. I hope to put out a body of work soon.

When is it due for a release?

We don’t have a release date yet, but when we do, I’ll make sure I communicate it.

Do you play any instruments?

Yes, I do play a bit of the guitar; I also play the piano.

What did your parents think about you pursuing a career in music?

Initially, like most parents they were concerned that it wasn’t something I should do as a career, but overtime they have had more faith and given me their full support.

You are young and certainly must attract a lot of female fans, how do you deal with the attention?

I don’t really have an issue dealing with female fans. I try to engage them as much as I can, so I don’t get a lot of those issues. I’m glad that people feel a connection with me beside just my music.

http://sunnewsonline.com/how-don-jazzy-discovered-me-john-drille/

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by Nobody: 4:49pm On Feb 10, 2018
nice

7 Likes

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by mexxmoney: 4:53pm On Feb 10, 2018
The guy is good, I like his songs

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by itchie: 5:06pm On Feb 10, 2018
Na girls be 80 percent of this guy fan base. The guy hold them for work

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by coluka: 5:21pm On Feb 10, 2018
His music is cool

8 Likes

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by Neminc: 5:29pm On Feb 10, 2018
This Johnny drille, ric hassani, Timi dakolo and darey always make my nighttime music playlist

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by elgramz: 5:50pm On Feb 10, 2018
Good

3 Likes

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by Vinstel: 6:12pm On Feb 10, 2018
The kid is one of the best alternative musicians out there

23 Likes

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by Megatrix: 6:37pm On Feb 10, 2018
Funny I was just listening to one of his new songs "Awa love" when I stumbled on this post

23 Likes

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by justi4jesu(f): 7:03pm On Feb 10, 2018
cool cool cool cool

2 Likes

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by Etihadstore: 7:03pm On Feb 10, 2018
Vg
Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by Nobody: 7:03pm On Feb 10, 2018
All da best.....

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by dizon: 7:04pm On Feb 10, 2018
Cool guy, but when will anybody discover me nah? Abi my music talent go just waste like that?

5 Likes

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by Nobody: 7:04pm On Feb 10, 2018
E
Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by Osanebi007(m): 7:04pm On Feb 10, 2018
wink Drillie u are going places bro

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by Nobody: 7:04pm On Feb 10, 2018
Megatrix:
Funny I was just listening to one of his new songs "Awa love" when I stumbled on this post
How is the song like?
Something nice I presume?
If so, lemme download, but do confirm pls!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by Venice789: 7:05pm On Feb 10, 2018
.mtchewwww... Nah all of them dey always dey children choir for church.

8 Likes

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by Nobody: 7:05pm On Feb 10, 2018
I am very excited about Jonny Drille because he makes artful music that speaks to me.

I just hope he will not focus on making singles alone. Nigerian music industry has an unhealthy preoccupation with singles; and it does not bode well for the quality of its creations in the long run. Reason being that: concept albums have more depth and refinement than singles. This preoccupation with singles is the reason why most of our artists have lean discographies.

Don Jazzy has no love for artful work. He is a pop-man, pop-men love singles.

Lets watch and see if Don Jazzy can give us a male Asa, because Drille is sufficiently talented to produce at the same level as ASA. Only good creative direction can make that happen but I do not repose much trust in Don Jazzy.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by safarigirl(f): 7:05pm On Feb 10, 2018
Neminc:
This Johnny drille, ric hassani, Timi dakolo and darey always make my nighttime music playlist
add Nonso Amadi and you complete mine grin

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by Hemjayy: 7:06pm On Feb 10, 2018
Abeg who be this guy?

1 Like

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by BruncleZuma: 7:06pm On Feb 10, 2018
Like Mungo Park

3 Likes

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by sanity12(m): 7:07pm On Feb 10, 2018
owk
Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by dvdami(m): 7:08pm On Feb 10, 2018
Hmm...

A star recognises another (potential) star when he sees one.

4 Likes

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by BluntBoy(m): 7:10pm On Feb 10, 2018
Drille is good. He learnt a little piano lessons from me.

7 Likes

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by Liveair: 7:10pm On Feb 10, 2018
He is a breath of fresh air.

3 Likes

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by Kaxmytex(m): 7:11pm On Feb 10, 2018
Naija owl city

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by Megatrix: 7:11pm On Feb 10, 2018
modelmike7:

How is the song like?
Something nice I presume?
If so, lemme download, but do confirm pls!
The song is good, nothing spectacular though just your normal Johnny drille song. All his songs that I've listened to so far are good anyway

6 Likes

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by Nobody: 7:11pm On Feb 10, 2018
safarigirl:
add Nonso Amadi and you complete mine grin

Is he completing your night or your playlist? There is some ambiguity here.

16 Likes

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by Flexy2vybes(m): 7:11pm On Feb 10, 2018
Kul dude playin kul music

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by GREATESTPIANIST: 7:12pm On Feb 10, 2018
Jonny drille my guy!!!!!! i had always known there was something special about him ever since his presence on Project fame, the one chidinma won,he didnt even shine in project fame, he got evicted quickly, but he was unique, he stuck to it, later after his music was getting some recognition, he was invited by same project fame to mentor the contestants in the next three or four seasons after the one he was a contestant in.

hmmmm....

lesson - when it seems things are not working or failure is lurking in the dark, keep up the hustle , stand out , be hardworking persistent and believe in yourself, there is always space at the top...... love you all

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by Sabadon(m): 7:12pm On Feb 10, 2018
for me d love I hv for dis guy no get part 2,he's astonishing n hid voice like smooth velvet, songs like "my beautiful love n wait for me" will blow ur mind away

damn d guy is in a class of his own, another one I love lik him is Bez bt been a while I heard something from him

4 Likes

Re: John Drille: "How Don Jazzy Discovered Me" by Elfaris(m): 7:15pm On Feb 10, 2018
OK nice! AM still waiting for Marvel to discover me though. cant wait to Start dishing Out my wonderful stories. African superhero and superpower movies loading.....
Check Out www.typicalstorie..com for a few of my thrilling stories though.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Juliet Ibrahim Stuns As Host Of Glolafftafest2018 In Ghana, With Uche Jombo / P'square’s ‘Bank Alert’ Video Gets Over A Million Youtube Views In 5 Days / Yul Edochie Releases Campaign Videos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.