Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,088 members, 7,818,264 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

Nigeria Bans Their Love, But Same-sex Couples Persist - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigeria Bans Their Love, But Same-sex Couples Persist (358 Views)

Two Nigerian Ladies Profess Their Love For Each Other (photos) / Dj Cuppy And Davido's Manager Continue To Show Off Their Love On Social Media / Investigation: Why Criminal Activities Persist In Edo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Bans Their Love, But Same-sex Couples Persist by nspodcast1: 3:49pm On Feb 12, 2018
Same-sex couples in Nigeria find healthy relationships difficult to establish and sustain because of the country’s anti-gay laws and society’s hostility toward homosexuality. But some LG Nigerians who are giving it a try have told their stories to NoStringsNG:

Gay man plans to marry a woman

Bola, a 31-year old Nigerian gay man living in Lagos, is in a five-year relationship with his boyfriend. He says he is deeply in love with him but still plans to marry a woman because the country criminalizes same-sex marriage and because of pressure from his family. He said:

“I have been dating my boyfriend since February 2013. I am 31 years old now. I love my boyfriend because he is humble, intelligent, calm, and spiritual. We met at the church in November 2012 and started dating in February 2013.

“We have no real plans for the future because marriage is inevitable in Nigeria. We will just remain best of friends.”

Maintaining a same-sex relationship is “a battle,” he says because gay men are in a “spotlight.”

Linda, a lesbian, said she connected with her lover online and plans to marry her in Nigeria, even though Nigerian law forbids it. She said:

“My relationship with my girlfriend is a month old. I am 20. I love everything about her especially her flaws. We met on Facebook. I really wish/plan on walking down the aisle with her.”

32-year-old lesbian is scared to marry

Jennifer, a 32-year-old lesbian from Benin who is in a four-year relationship with her lover, said that she doesn’t have plans to marry her lover because she is afraid. She said:

“My girlfriend and I have been together for four years. She is everything God made her [to be]. We met on one of these social networks. For now, we have no [wedding] plans for the fear of our family and country, but we are really happy together.”

Nigerian law keeps gay lovers apart

Samson a 28-year old Nigerian gay man, has been in a six-month monogamous relationship with his boyfriend but has no plans to marry him because of Nigeria’s anti-gay law. He said;

Continue: https://nostringsng.com/nigeria-bans-love-same-sex/

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Stolen Vehicle - Abuja Airport - Toyota Corolla - RSH373DA / Drama As Bribe-seeking SARS Men Keep Lagos Businessman In Toilet / Bbnija2018: Gyaso National Coordinator Blast Governor Rochas Okorocha.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.