Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,909 members, 7,952,664 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:33 PM

Samsung Galaxy S9 And Galaxy Note 9 Will Not Have In-screen Fingerprint Scanner - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung Galaxy S9 And Galaxy Note 9 Will Not Have In-screen Fingerprint Scanner (830 Views)

Vivo Beats Samsung & Apple To Introduce On-screen Fingerprint Scanning / Itel Announce S32 Smartphone With Dual Selfie Camera And Fingerprint Scanner / Next Year Smartphones Might Spot In-screen Fingerprint Scanner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samsung Galaxy S9 And Galaxy Note 9 Will Not Have In-screen Fingerprint Scanner by Reediano(m): 11:55pm On Feb 13, 2018
Official renders and leaked images of the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ (Plus) already confirmed that both phones will spot rear mounted Fingerprint Scanner just like the predecessor but the question has always been if the Note 9 will also spot a rear mounted or the new under-display Fingerprint reader as seen on the Vivo X20 Plus UD.

Korean media has confirmed it today that the yet to be released Samsung Galaxy Note 9 will come with a Fingerprint reader on the back just like on the Note 8. Report has it that Samsung is currently working with different suppliers for an under display fingerprint reader, but the technology might not be ready until next year.

Even though the under display fingerprint scanner is already available on Vivo's latest smartphone which is the Vivo X20 Plus UD, Samsung is still facing some challenges implementing it on its own smartphones due to the curved infinity display on its devices.

According to a Samsung Insider, he said;
"There are advantages and disadvantages of both optical and capacitive or ultrasonic types, so I do not think there is any technology that can be commercialized right now, "Next year, Samsung Electronics I think will succeed to mount it."

The curved display is posing some challenges as the currently available "Optical Reader" will have issues with the OLED display's semi-transparency and a more orthodox capacitive type reader, on the other side, could be made relatively transparent, but it will be faced with reliability issues as it has to be mounted on top of the display.

An Ultrasonic Fingerprint Scanner seems to be the best alternative at the moment, but it's still very expensive to produce in Mass units as it's still in development, also it's currently very slow compared to the current rear mounted Fingerprint readers. Samsung is however still working on it along side a few suppliers and it's expected to be ready by next year.

http://www.yomitech.com/2018/02/samsung-galaxy-s9-and-note-9-will-have-rear-fingerprint.html
Re: Samsung Galaxy S9 And Galaxy Note 9 Will Not Have In-screen Fingerprint Scanner by Swaggzkid: 1:00am On Feb 14, 2018
Na Scam
Re: Samsung Galaxy S9 And Galaxy Note 9 Will Not Have In-screen Fingerprint Scanner by Nobody: 5:38am On Feb 14, 2018
SAMSUNG : Best phone in the world!
Re: Samsung Galaxy S9 And Galaxy Note 9 Will Not Have In-screen Fingerprint Scanner by Reediano(m): 6:29am On Feb 14, 2018
Swaggzkid:
Na Scam

Which one be scam again...
Re: Samsung Galaxy S9 And Galaxy Note 9 Will Not Have In-screen Fingerprint Scanner by MarkWayne89: 11:53am On Feb 14, 2018
I hear that the future Note 9 will not have the fingerprint but the S9 will do. Anyway, these are only rumors.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S9 And Galaxy Note 9 Will Not Have In-screen Fingerprint Scanner by Reediano(m): 6:19pm On Feb 14, 2018
MarkWayne89:
I hear that the future Note 9 will not have the fingerprint but the S9 will do. Anyway, these are only rumors.

Both will have. .. I doubt Samsung will ditch the fps for their Face id Iris Scanner
Re: Samsung Galaxy S9 And Galaxy Note 9 Will Not Have In-screen Fingerprint Scanner by Phantom2(m): 8:11pm On Feb 15, 2018
rumors have it that the scanner would be embedded under the screen in the Note 9 similar to the Vivo X20 Plus UD
MarkWayne89:

1 Like

Re: Samsung Galaxy S9 And Galaxy Note 9 Will Not Have In-screen Fingerprint Scanner by Reediano(m): 9:50pm On Feb 15, 2018
Phantom2:
rumors have it that the scanner would be embedded under the screen in the Note 9 similar to the Vivo X20 Plus UD

That was the INITIAL rumour...

But only time will tell...

(1) (Reply)

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Officially Launched - Check Out The Specifications / Which Nice Phone Can 15k Buy Me? / I Need A Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.