Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,223 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Why Do People Clap For Men Of God When They Are Preaching? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do People Clap For Men Of God When They Are Preaching? (4083 Views)

Pastor Chris Warns Comedians: Don't Joke With Men Of God! / Unfulfilled Prophecies By Men Of God / "Should I Be Disappointed In God,when It Looks As Tho He Doesn't Answer Prayers" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Clap For Men Of God When They Are Preaching? by alexleo(m): 11:10pm On Apr 21, 2010
Today we see a situation where members clap for men of God during sermon. This indeed is a strange fire in God's santuary.  The word of God is supposed to be delivered under the unction of the Holy spirit who puts this divine word into our mouth why then should a pastor be appalauded for statements that are not supposed to be His in the actual sense. These pastors has allowed this ungodly tradition to persist in their churches and this makes one wonder weather sermons are delivered for the pastor to be worshipped and praised of for God to use it to work in peoples lives. Since when did the word of God become entertainment? The bible told us "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any double edged sword. it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joint and marrow, it judges the thoughts and the attitudes of the heart (hebrew4;12)". How then does this attract applause? Yet canality and self glorification wont allow some of this so called men of God to stop this ungodly attitude. All these are what satan is using to fight the gospel of our Lord Jesus i  this last days. Let people stop worshipping the creature and worship  the creator.
Re: Why Do People Clap For Men Of God When They Are Preaching? by Mudley313: 11:17pm On Apr 21, 2010
Why Do People Clap For Men Of God When They Are Preaching?

for their oratory skills

for their talent to entertain a large audience

for their talent to fleece the flock, n still get honored for it. dont u think dats an extraordinary skill dat deserves a round of applause
Re: Why Do People Clap For Men Of God When They Are Preaching? by labiyemmy(m): 12:16am On Apr 22, 2010
na wa o.

Poster, why do people drive cars these days since cars were not driven in the biblical days?
Re: Why Do People Clap For Men Of God When They Are Preaching? by jagunlabi(m): 6:14am On Apr 22, 2010
@labiyemmy:

na wa o.

Poster, why do people drive cars these days since cars were not driven in the biblical days?
LMAO!! cheesy
Re: Why Do People Clap For Men Of God When They Are Preaching? by alexleo(m): 3:16pm On Apr 23, 2010
Owning a car is a basic necessity of life. In the bible days they had there own means of transportation which was horse and carmel. But pray, what is the neccessity in clapping for a man who is delivering the word of God? Did I condemn men of God riding cars here? Am talking about things that has the tendency of placing man above what he is not. Read my post very well and you will understand that God's word is not an entertainment that should attracT some kind of applause. I know Christians nowadyas will always want to back up all their actions weather wrong or right with biblical quotes but does that change its original meaning?? NO.
Re: Why Do People Clap For Men Of God When They Are Preaching? by Gunnaz007: 10:15pm On Apr 23, 2010
alexleo:

Today we see a situation where members clap for men of God during sermon. This indeed is a strange fire in God's santuary.  The word of God is supposed to be delivered under the unction of the Holy spirit who puts this divine word into our mouth why then should a pastor be appalauded for statements that are not supposed to be His in the actual sense. These pastors has allowed this ungodly tradition to persist in their churches and this makes one wonder weather sermons are delivered for the pastor to be worshipped and praised of for God to use it to work in peoples lives. Since when did the word of God become entertainment? The bible told us "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any double edged sword. it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joint and marrow, it judges the thoughts and the attitudes of the heart (hebrew4;12)". How then does this attract applause? Yet canality and self glorification wont allow some of this so called men of God to stop this ungodly attitude. All these are what satan is using to fight the gospel of our Lord Jesus i  this last days. Let people stop worshipping the creature and worship  the creator.

The entrance of the Word giveth Light, it giveth understanding to the ignorant(Psalm 119:130)!!! Do you have any account that men of bible days did not respond to teachings the way it is done now? Have you ever solved a mathematical problem that u got stuck with for months, and you are like, yes!yes!yes! I gotcha!!! Waooohhhh! i solved ya!!!?

As you rightly quoted in hebrews4:12, a response to the word of God that you are being taught (or you are studying) is expected whether in (claps or shoutings or nodding, whatever), because the word of God is "SHARPER THAN ANY TWO EDGED SWORD. . ."; A quick analogy, if one slices you with a sword, wont you respond to that stimulus by either shouting or crying? Yet you expect the WORD OF GOD, which is "SHARPER THAN ANY TWO EDGED SWORD" to be of non-effect on the reciever

This is the importance of recieving the Holy Spirit, because He opens your understanding to respond impromtu in anyway to the Word taught or studied! Only that a natural man or canally-minded Christian might miscontrue those responses by the brethren as being for the Pastor's eloquence in speech, but remember, it is the Holy Sprit that gives the man the utterances that he presented to the church!!!
Re: Why Do People Clap For Men Of God When They Are Preaching? by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 11:36pm On Apr 23, 2010
doctrine
Re: Why Do People Clap For Men Of God When They Are Preaching? by alexleo(m): 3:28pm On Apr 24, 2010
Gunnaz007:

The entrance of the Word giveth Light, it giveth understanding to the ignorant(Psalm 119:130)!!! Do you have any account that men of bible days did not respond to teachings the way it is done now? Have you ever solved a mathematical problem that u got stuck with for months, and you are like, yes!yes!yes! I gotcha!!! Waooohhhh! i solved ya!!!?

As you rightly quoted in hebrews4:12, a response to the word of God that you are being taught (or you are studying) is expected whether in (claps or shoutings or nodding, whatever), because the word of God is "SHARPER THAN ANY TWO EDGED SWORD. . ."; A quick analogy, if one slices you with a sword, wont you respond to that stimulus by either shouting or crying? Yet you expect the WORD OF GOD, which is "SHARPER THAN ANY TWO EDGED SWORD" to be of non-effect on the reciever

This is the importance of recieving the Holy Spirit, because He opens your understanding to respond impromtu in anyway to the Word taught or studied! Only that a natural man or canally-minded Christian might miscontrue those responses by the brethren as being for the Pastor's eloquence in speech, but remember, it is the Holy Sprit that gives the man the utterances that he presented to the church!!!

my dear, there is a difference between a shout or cry from someone who has received a sharp cut and no sharp cut makes one to go into wild Jubilation as you may want me to believe by saying whichever way the person reacts. When some salient points are made during sermon, people can affirm that by voice response which is not bad but the kind we witness in some churches today depicts that of a pastor being applauded or clapped for because of his oratory skill. Mind you not anyone that mounts the pulpit is being led by the Holy Spirit. Truth is that Nigerians are desperate money seekers and because they have seen that church business yields much money and again its an easy way of shooting yourself to fame these days thats why everybody is claiming to have a calling from God so that they will mount big banner with a picture taken with their wives on every road. They want to display their oratory skill and be applauded for it. But bear this in mind, Soon and very soon God shall seperate the sheep from the goat. When you see a real man of God full of the Holy spirit preaching the difference is usually clear and those men of God doesnt even encourage applause for them when they are preaching. They are more interested in the change the word will have in you.
Re: Why Do People Clap For Men Of God When They Are Preaching? by Gunnaz007: 3:02am On Apr 25, 2010
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy, funny, so the sign of a true man of God is that people dont clap for their message when they preach undecided, guy, you can do beta. The moment you seize to measure others' rightness with your self acclaimed standards, the beta.

Do you have incontrovertible prove that the brethren neva clapped in respone to the message that was taught them by the apostles?
Re: Why Do People Clap For Men Of God When They Are Preaching? by Joagbaje(m): 6:11am On Apr 25, 2010
They are glorifying God rather in these men. Jesus taught that men could glorify God through us.

Matthew 5:16
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Galatians 1:24
And they glorified God in me.

Claping is a form of expression of joy, and also to glorify God.

Psalm 98:8
Let the floods clap their hands: let the hills be joyful together

Psalm 47:1

To the chief Musician, A Psalm for the sons of Korah.
O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph.

Matthew 9:6-8

But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house. [7] And he arose, and departed to his house. [8] But when the multitudes saw it, they marvelled, and glorified God, which had given such power unto men.

Mark 2:12

And immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went forth before them all; insomuch that they were all amazed, and glorified God, saying, We never saw it on this fashion.

Luke 5:26

And they were all amazed, and they glorified God, and were filled with fear, saying, We have seen strange things to day.

Luke 7:16

And there came a fear on all: and they glorified God, saying, That a great prophet is risen up among us; and, That God hath visited his people.

In as much as it is supposed to be a spiritual thing, we cant deny they fact that ,men could get charged up emotionaly sometimes.

Luke 11:27
And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked.

People are free to express themselves before God. nobody is forced to clap. And if for any reason, such instructions is given, what we hear is " Give God a big hand" " give God praise" "lets clap for the lord Jesus"
Re: Why Do People Clap For Men Of God When They Are Preaching? by tazevedo3: 5:39am On Jun 04, 2013
I have three reasons why clapping during a sermon should be well received. I have been teaching my launch team this.

1) It gives the preacher feedback. When a preacher is up there preaching and he's trying to make a point and no one budges or moves, the preacher might feel like they haven't grasped it. But when the church understands and agrees on a point that is so powerful and true, clapping tells the pastor that they are agreeing. Yes, saying amen is great too, but clapping can help the church be more alive.

2) It encourages the pastor. Let's be real. Pastors need encouragement too. Tough crowds are tough to preach too. When the crowd begins to clap the pastor keeps going and gets excited about what he's preaching about. It tells the pastor that the church is also excited about what you're saying.

3) It glorifies God. As it was put very well by some people here, it glorifies God. In sports games, people clap their hands when they favorite team scores right? Why wouldn't we clap our hands when we are reminded or when we learn that Jesus has beat sin and given us a second chance? I feel like not clapping and rejoicing after hearing truth like that shows the world that we're not really excited about this message. If nonchristians come in my church, I want to show them that we are excited about the Pure Word of God, we are excited about its message and excited about people coming to saving faith! If sports teams get applause, why not Truth spoken through a pastor. It's not meant to glorify the pastor, it's meant to glorify God. As Pastor Judah Smith always says, "A silent church is a dead church, and we're not a dead church!"

By the way, I have been thinking a lot about this topic because I just recently planted a church in Bethlehem, PA called Pure Word Church. Check out our website (under construction right now). www.PureWordChurch.org. God bless!

Pastor Tim Azevedo

(1) (Reply)

What Does The Bible Say About Political Correctness? Should A Christian Be 'PC'? / Being In The World And Not Of The World / Prof James Wood. From Psychopathic Atheist To Evangelist. Total Transformation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.