Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,611 members, 7,820,176 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:55 AM

Sensorship? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Sensorship? (457 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sensorship? by FeelDeMusic: 11:17pm On Feb 15, 2018
Hello everyone,

So today I was writing on a thread in the romance section about male vs female circumcision... why this was included in that section I have no idea.

Anyway, I had written the names of the male and female privates, obviously, because... well.... why couldn't I? I was talking about circumsision for god's sake!

However, I have noticed that the words for those parts, as well as for the very word g e n i t a l and g e n i t a l i a are replaced with words like "joystick", "instruments", and other such slang terms.

Is this some kind of censorship that's present on here that I'm not sure about? Is this a censorship issue/law in Nigeria that somehow requires you to block out words of male and female reproductive anatomy and, perhaps, other sexually suggestive or offensive words? Or are people really so sensitive as to cringe at the mention of these parts or that kind of language?

Someone please explain, thank you!

BTW I live in America.
Re: Sensorship? by FeelDeMusic: 8:51pm On Feb 16, 2018
Yo, I'm very curious..... wink
Re: Sensorship? by Fvcknames: 9:38pm On Aug 07, 2022
Lol. I get that nairaland can be a source for information on Nigerian culture and lifestlyle but try not to read into it too much. Everyone on here finds the censorship ridiculous. Basically, nairaland is kinda old fashion with very little changes. I guess that's one of the things that just stuck.

(1) (Reply)

MASSOB To Join FIFA, Kicks Off Biafra Football Competition / Church Holds Service To Bless Members’ Guns / *fourteen Unwritten Rules For Civilized Conduct*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.