Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

Doctors And Other Health Workers In The House Please Advice. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors And Other Health Workers In The House Please Advice. (537 Views)

COVID-19: 6 iSON Xperiences Workers In Ibadan Test Positive - Seyi Makinde / Wonder Of Goron- Tula Fruit On Fertility And All Other Health Benefits. / World's Hottest Looking Black Doctors And Nurses (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctors And Other Health Workers In The House Please Advice. by Deprofessional(m): 4:39pm On Feb 16, 2018
I recently went for a blood pressure test and my result read 150/100. This is very high.

I dont work under stress, I dont think of any thing, I dont have any visible ailment.

Please how can i reduce the pressure to acceptable limit.

I am skeptical about taking chemical drugs now because i learnt the moment one start it, one will continue to take it every day of ones life.

Please any good advise will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Re: Doctors And Other Health Workers In The House Please Advice. by superdols(f): 5:45pm On Feb 16, 2018
There is a blood pressure range at which lifestyle changes are sufficient, it is called pre- hypertension and it is 130-139/80-89
Above this range, you need to combine lifestyle and dietary changes with drugs
So you should hurry and get those drugs now, before complications arise
Re: Doctors And Other Health Workers In The House Please Advice. by thesicilian: 5:47pm On Feb 16, 2018
Deprofessional:
I recently went for a blood pressure test and my result read 150/100. This is very high.

I dont work under stress, I dont think of any thing, I dont have any visible ailment.

I am skeptical about taking chemical drugs now because i learnt the moment one start it, one will continue to take it every day of ones life.

Thanks.
No doctor will tell you to take blood pressure drugs at first contact, except the reading is really very high or you are already coming down with symptoms and complications of high blood pressure.
But before you can be effectively counseled, you may need to give more information like your age range, height and weight, what made you go for the test in the first place (any symptoms/complaints?), where you did the BP, was it done by a qualified medical personnel, your state of mind before it was done, etc
Re: Doctors And Other Health Workers In The House Please Advice. by Deprofessional(m): 6:46pm On Feb 16, 2018
thesicilian:

No doctor will tell you to take blood pressure drugs at first contact, except the reading is really very high or you are already coming down with symptoms and complications of high blood pressure.
But before you can be effectively counseled, you may need to give more information like your age range, height and weight, what made you go for the test in the first place (any symptoms/complaints?), where you did the BP, was it done by a qualified medical personnel, your state of mind before it was done, etc

Age 43years
height. 1.7m approx
weight: About 78kg
There is this routine check of staff BP at my place of work.

I went to pharmacy and they used the automated type of machine ie the one that uses battery.

I noticed anxiety set in at the time.
Re: Doctors And Other Health Workers In The House Please Advice. by EagleScribes: 6:57pm On Feb 16, 2018
Deprofessional:

Thanks.

Contact me through the number on my signature. Your blood pressure can be regulated without side effects, drugs or chemicals
Re: Doctors And Other Health Workers In The House Please Advice. by thesicilian: 8:26pm On Feb 16, 2018
Deprofessional:

Age 43years
height. 1.7m approx

I went to pharmacy and they used the automated type of machine ie the one that uses battery.

I don't think you have much to worry about. It is often the case that anxiety before or while checking the BP will lead to a rise in the value obtained. Not to mention the fact that some of those automated devices are often inaccurate. Be that as it may, here are a few things you could do for yourself:
1. Visit a hospital and ask politely for your BP to be rechecked. The long manual table sphygmomanometer is often the most accurate, especially when taken by a doctor or a good nurse.
Note: this can be done free of charge in any hospital depending on your manner of approach.

2. Your BMI is about 27kg/m2, which is just slightly just above the normal range of 18 - 24. This is acceptable. Nevertheless you'll still benefit from regular exercise.

3. Cut down on your salt intake, alcohol, smoking (if any).

4. Reduce the level of stress in your life. As a Nigerian this may not be so easy though.

5. Eat healthy. A balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruits like carrots, bananas etc, and vegetables is advised. Reduce the amount of caffeinated drinks you take, if any. If you're the type that like coffee, it may be better to go for decaf.

6. If you have a close relative who is hypertensive (has high blood pressure) like your father or mother etc, it will also benefit you to keep monitoring your blood pressure at least every 3 to 6months in order to catch any potential rise early.

7. Sleep well and free your mind of unnecessary worries. Life is easy.
Re: Doctors And Other Health Workers In The House Please Advice. by Deprofessional(m): 8:55pm On Feb 16, 2018
thesicilian:

I don't think you have much to worry about. It is often the case that anxiety before or while checking the BP will lead to a rise in the value obtained. Not to mention the fact that some of those automated devices are often inaccurate. Be that as it may, here are a few things you could do for yourself:
1. Visit a hospital and ask politely for your BP to be rechecked. The long manual table sphygmomanometer is often the most accurate, especially when taken by a doctor or a good nurse.
Note: this can be done free of charge in any hospital depending on your manner of approach.

2. Your BMI is about 27kg/m2, which is just slightly just above the normal range of 18 - 24. This is acceptable. Nevertheless you'll still benefit from regular exercise.

3. Cut down on your salt intake, alcohol, smoking (if any).

4. Reduce the level of stress in your life. As a Nigerian this may not be so easy though.

5. Eat healthy. A balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruits like carrots, bananas etc, and vegetables is advised. Reduce the amount of caffeinated drinks you take, if any. If you're the type that like coffee, it may be better to go for decaf.

6. If you have a close relative who is hypertensive (has high blood pressure) like your father or mother etc, it will also benefit you to keep monitoring your blood pressure at least every 3 to 6months in order to catch any potential rise early.

7. Sleep well and free your mind of unnecessary worries. Life is easy.

Thanks a lot Thesicilian. I appreciate.
Re: Doctors And Other Health Workers In The House Please Advice. by maasoap(m): 9:41pm On Feb 16, 2018
Deprofessional:

Age 43years
height. 1.7m approx

When next time you check your BP, let it be checked the second and third time before you leave the place. What I noticed was that, sometimes, the first reading could be false reading.

(1) (Reply)

I Need Quick Advice / Anambra HIV Rank 26th In Nigeria - NACA / The 15 Foods You Must AVOID If You're Planning On Having Sex Tonight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.