Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,159 members, 7,838,961 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 11:41 AM

Thought For Today Feb.17: Taking Time To Pray While Pushing Through Distractions - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Thought For Today Feb.17: Taking Time To Pray While Pushing Through Distractions (281 Views)

Pray While Sleeping / Pray While You Wake / Thought For Today Feb 1, 2018: Topic - A Strategic Exit -- Getting Back On Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Thought For Today Feb.17: Taking Time To Pray While Pushing Through Distractions by DailyDevotion1: 7:57am On Feb 17, 2018
Thought For Today February 17, 2018: Topic - Taking Time to Pray While Pushing Through Distractions
February 17, 2018 - Thought For Today

Taking Time to Pray While Pushing Through Distractions

Acts 10:9-10

About noon the following day as they [Cornelius' servants] were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance.

Thoughts for Today:

Has that ever happened to you? You have the best intentions, yet some personal need gets in the way of your prayer or devotional time? I usually get up early in the morning to spend time with God because the house is quiet, my wife and daughter are still sleeping, the phone isn't ringing, and most of my concerns about work haven't yet surfaced. Invariably something comes up to distract me away from my time with God. Sometimes it's my daughter who woke up early and wants to chat with me (hard to say "no" to that). Other times it's my stomach that won't leave me alone unless I feed it. You know exactly what I'm talking about -- there is always some kind of distraction that gets in your way.

Too often we blame Satan for our distractions, as if he has some mission specifically designed against us each morning or during our prayer time. While I believe we must defend ourselves against the enemy's attacks, when it gets down to it -- the most important elements of study and prayer time are found in good old fashioned self-discipline and the earnest desire to seek the Lord. To be successful, we simply have to concentrate and remain committed. One thing I've found as my most meaningful time with God has been when I have fought through all the distractions and continued (or returned) to focus my heart and my mind -- completing my study and prayer time -- that is when God speaks to me most clearly, or rather when I am listening most intently.

Questions to Ponder:

Peter found time to spend with God, but hunger got in his way -- he pushed on and as a result the Lord changed his world-view completely (we'll see this unfold in future devotions). Do you feel stagnant? Does your faith feel strong but not vibrant? Perhaps you need to spend more time with the Lord, setting aside time every day (at specific times or whenever you have a free moment) -- not with an agenda, but just to enjoy fellowship with Him. He will then change you and use you -- just like He did Peter -- are you ready? Are you willing? Will you stay committed? How can you start today to listen more intently to the Lord? Is it a frequency issue? Or, is it an issue of focusing your heart and mind?

(1) (Reply)

Repent Today! The Kingdom Of God Is At Hand! Jesus Christ Is Lord Of All! / 20 Practical Steps Out Of Sexual Sins. (13). / 7 Bad Habits That Will Lead To Divorce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.