Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,750 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

Why You Should Avoid Driving On Reserve Fuel - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why You Should Avoid Driving On Reserve Fuel (2099 Views)

After Learning Driving On Youtube Channels, I'm About To Pick Up A Driving Job / Car Driving On Three Wheels In Lagos (PHOTOS) / Driver Gets Ticket Dismissed After Driving On Autopilot With Feet Out Of Window (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Avoid Driving On Reserve Fuel by Automotive1(m): 10:55am On Feb 17, 2018

Driving your vehicle on low fuel or an empty tank can damage your ride or even lead to a crash.The fuel gauge in your car or truck is lying to you.

Automobile manufacturers build in about a gallon (3.8 liters) of reserve fuel beyond the "empty" line. They also warn about low fuel long before a vehicle runs out.

Your car's electric pump fail mainly due to constantly being in use. After years of service it wears on the internal parts.But there are other reasons that cause premature failure

The reserve fuel in the tank acts like a coolant for the electric fuel-pump motor. When you run very low,it allows the pump to suck in air, which creates heat and can cause the fuel pump to wear prematurely and potentially fail.

Another concern would be the dirt that accumulates in the bottom of the tank that gets sucked up by the pump on low fuel levels. This jams the pump. The dirt either comes from poor grade fuel or water and rust in the tank.

In addition to potentially costly repairs to your car, driving on a low tank can be dangerous. If the car suddenly stops running, you could be stranded in the middle of a busy highway thereby,putting you and any passengers in an even more dangerous situation.

Also remember the amount of fuel your gauge is telling you may not be what you have.Fuel gauges are still measured by a float, which can change depending on whether or not you're on a hill.

So don't use your reserve fuel -It protects your pump.

Source https://autojosh.com/avoid-driving-reserve-fuel/

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Avoid Driving On Reserve Fuel by Benjom(m): 11:08am On Feb 17, 2018
Great
Re: Why You Should Avoid Driving On Reserve Fuel by Lakewise13: 5:04pm On May 31, 2021
Thanks
Re: Why You Should Avoid Driving On Reserve Fuel by Nonyeadamu: 7:12pm On May 31, 2021
Thanks boss
Re: Why You Should Avoid Driving On Reserve Fuel by Originalsly: 7:54pm On May 31, 2021
Nice!... knew about the dirt and water... but not fuel as a coolant.
Re: Why You Should Avoid Driving On Reserve Fuel by Kassiny(m): 9:09pm On Jun 02, 2021
Noted with thanks
Re: Why You Should Avoid Driving On Reserve Fuel by adanny01(m): 2:00pm On Jun 06, 2021
Automotive1:

Driving your vehicle on low fuel or an empty tank can damage your ride or even lead to a crash.The fuel gauge in your car or truck is lying to you.

Automobile manufacturers build in about a gallon (3.8 liters) of reserve fuel beyond the "empty" line. They also warn about low fuel long before a vehicle runs out.

Your car's electric pump fail mainly due to constantly being in use. After years of service it wears on the internal parts.But there are other reasons that cause premature failure

The reserve fuel in the tank acts like a coolant for the electric fuel-pump motor. When you run very low,it allows the pump to suck in air, which creates heat and can cause the fuel pump to wear prematurely and potentially fail.

Another concern would be the dirt that accumulates in the bottom of the tank that gets sucked up by the pump on low fuel levels. This jams the pump. The dirt either comes from poor grade fuel or water and rust in the tank.

In addition to potentially costly repairs to your car, driving on a low tank can be dangerous. If the car suddenly stops running, you could be stranded in the middle of a busy highway thereby,putting you and any passengers in an even more dangerous situation.

Also remember the amount of fuel your gauge is telling you may not be what you have.Fuel gauges are still measured by a float, which can change depending on whether or not you're on a hill.

So don't use your reserve fuel -It protects your pump.

Source https://autojosh.com/avoid-driving-reserve-fuel/

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44

In modern cars, most of these issues don't apply due to the design of the fuel sending unit.

The fuel pump sits inside the fuel sending unit which usually has a no-return valve that makes sure the fuel sending unit is always filled with fuel till the last drop of fuel is pulled into the sending unit.

Secondly, the fuel pressure regulator discharges the excess pressure fuel into the fuel sending unit and not the tank also making sure the sending unit is always filled with fuel.

This design helps to avoid fuel cutting out when the car tilts or when the tank is near empty. This means that the only time the fuel supply cuts off is the moment the fuel sending unit is empty and the tank should be empty first.

This means that the fuel pump is constantly submerged in fuel even if the fuel level in the tank is very low. The only time the fuel pump isn't submerged in fuel is when the fuel is finished and the car will not run.

After using my 2003 car for 6 years in 2020, I decided to inspect my fuel filter and pressure regulator, i was shocked to see the tank bottom spotlessly clean. Maybe its my choice of filling stations, but apart from the usual browning of the sending unit plastics, there was nothing like dirt or water.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Avoid Driving On Reserve Fuel by kayswag100(m): 2:15pm On Jun 06, 2021
Many Naija drivers nor dey hear word.

Na N500 fuel we dey buy.

We prefer meeting Kazeem to repair fuel pump and injector cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Pls Can I Use This Car Oil To Service My Generator: Photo / Pls How Much Is Rav 4 2004 Tokunbo Engine? / Please Where Can I Buy An Oil Filter Spanner In Abuja (modified)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.