Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,875 members, 7,821,044 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:22 AM

The Trouble With Adjectives And Adverbs - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Trouble With Adjectives And Adverbs (421 Views)

Rules For Placing Adverbs In Sentences/english Grammar Lesson / Rules For Comparing With Adverbs: English Grammar Lesson / Underline The Adjectives In The Following Sentences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Trouble With Adjectives And Adverbs by Afolearning(m): 7:11pm On Feb 17, 2018
THE TROUBLE WITH ADJECTIVES AND ADVERBS

ADJECTIVES and ADVERBS in English are modifiers. While the former modifies nouns and pronouns, the latter modifies verbs, adjectives and adverbs.

The BEAUTIFUL damsel is around. (adjectives in caps)

He ALMOST lost his legs in the ghastly accident. (adverb in caps)

BOTH ARE ALSO POSTMODIFIERS.

The governor ELECT is here. (ADJECTIVE)
The people INVOLVED have escaped. (ADJECTIVE)
The town of Efon-Alaaye PROPER is hilly. (ADJECTIVE)

The bar is high ENOUGH. (ADVERB)
The goal was superb INDEED. (ADVERB)

THEY ARE BOTH INTENSIFIERS.

an OUTRIGHT loser (ADJECTIVE)
a CERTAIN policeman (ADJECTIVE)
a COMPLETE fool(ADJECTIVE)

VERY efficient (ADVERB)
QUITE handsome(ADVERB)
He ALMOST came first.(ADVERB)

Another thing is that most of the adverbs are formed from adjectives by simply adding the suffix 'ly'.

ADJECTIVES ADVERBS
bad badly
main mainly
boastful boastfully
common commonly
effective effectively
strenuous strenuously

The examples above simply explain the difference between both, right? However, how do you explain this: When the same word is used as an adjective and an adverb.

He is LATE. (adjective )
He comes LATE. (adverb)

Kembo was FAST.
Kembo ran FAST.

OR THIS

LIVELY-- adjective
REALLY--adverb

COMELY--adjective
SURELY--adverb

LOVELY--adjective
AWESOMELY--adverb

WOMANLY--adjective
WARMLY--adverb

From the examples above, my little research shows that if you add the suffix 'ly' to VERBS OR NOUNS, it will give you ADJECTIVES. HOWEVER, THERE ARE EXCEPRIONAL CASES. On the other hand, if you add the suffix 'ly' to ADJECTIVES, it will give you ADVERBS.

The two can as well be used as comparative and superlative. Here are examples:

She is MORE CONFIDENT. (ADJECTIVE)
she speaks MORE CONFIDENTLY. (ADVERB)

Dollar is the MOST COMMON currency in the world. (ADJECTIVES)
Dollar is the MOST COMMONLY used currency in the world. (ADVERB)

On a functional note, PREPOSITIONAL PHRASES CAN FUNCTION AS ADJECTIVES AND ADVERBS.

The boy BEHIND ME is my friend. (PREP. PHRASE AS ADJECTIVE)
The book ON THE SHELF is mine. (PREP. PHRASE AS ADJECTIVE)

I left the dog INSIDE THE COMPOUND. (PREP. PHRASE AS ADVERBIAL)
The student threw the bag ACROSS THE ROAD. (PREP. PHRASE AS ADVERBIAL)

THIS IS HOW FAR I CAN GO.IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR CONTRIBUTIONS, YOU CAN DROP THEM HERE AND LET US HAVE AN INDEPTH DISCOURSE ON THIS TOPIC. THANKS FRO READING.

YOU CAN FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM AT AFOLEARNING ENGLISH FOR MORE ON ENGLISH LESSONS

1 Like

Re: The Trouble With Adjectives And Adverbs by Olawale118(m): 8:18pm On Feb 17, 2018
good stuff

(1) (Reply)

INVITEE And OPPORTUNED Are Not Standard English Words.Why Not Use These Instead? / Jamb Frenzy: Versatile Academy Wows UTME Applicants / What Can Be The New Cut-off Mark

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.