Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,243 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) (65676 Views)

Two Nigerians Arrested With Over N51m Drugs In India (photos) / Border Closure: Customs Intercepts Rice Smugglers In A Bush (Photos) / Customs Officers Attacked By Smugglers In Ogun. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by dheilaw1(m): 11:16pm On Feb 17, 2018
Virus777:
undecided

Why is it that heads of Nigerian custom units across the country are always Hausa people or northerners, Sani Madugu. undecided Does it mean that people from SS or SE are not capable of attaining a top rank in the Nigerian customs? Is the customs service meant for only corrupts ab0kis?

Mtchewwwww!!! Shithole!!!
the SE people are too dubious, typical example is Nmadman Cownu who swindled his fellow agitators and ran away with their funds. give then little money, they sing your praise and allow you move your Range without paying dues. I know some pigs will attack me now
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by JeffreyJamez(m): 11:35pm On Feb 17, 2018
zicoraads:

That's what makes most of these cars very expensive here. They are very cheap abroad. All the duties paid on them usually accumulates and makes them expensive and beyond a lot of our reach. Otherwise, we for plenty wey dey drive this kind car na embarassed

I know bro.its sad
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by Favourmayor: 11:38pm On Feb 17, 2018
Na wa oh
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by olawapaxy(m): 11:58pm On Feb 17, 2018
GloriaNinja:
undecided I'M SURPRISED IT WASN'T ABOUT HUMAN HEAD FOUND IN OGUN STATE CAUSE OGUN AND HUMAN HEAD = 5 AND 6
see dis 1 oooooooooo...is lyk u ar a mad photographer abi
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by FarahAideed: 11:58pm On Feb 17, 2018
NaijaMutant:
They should search that car very well o, there might be human heads hidden in it undecided

I don't gerrit undecided

Why will you abandon such a car because of duty undecided

How much is the duty compare to the value of the car undecided

The duty is almost 50 million Naira at the unholy 75 percent tariff ..
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by papoudaupolos: 12:07am On Feb 18, 2018
uckennety:

Ogbeni the duty is too much 51.2million for 1 car

Mogbe!!!
Its true and I don't know why government can't reduce it
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by johnaruson(m): 12:22am On Feb 18, 2018
It's a stolen vehicle, that is why
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by Nobody: 12:28am On Feb 18, 2018
Horrible country!

How can import charges be nearly about 300% of the cost of the car.

A range rover Velar starts at $50,000 USD = N 18,250,000 and the Govt wants to tax it at N 51 million, add that to the cost of the car. why wouldnt smuggling trive?

Total cost N 69.250 million

Haba! What sort of country do we live in where govt cant provide for its people but tries to take away the little the people have to fund its corrupt, selfish and personal expenditures

5 Likes

Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by ycat: 12:29am On Feb 18, 2018
He's from the skull planter states.
ProWalker:

Which state are you from ? Tell us, don't be ashamed to tell us
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by Pappikizuu(m): 1:03am On Feb 18, 2018
NaijaMutant:
They should search that car very well o, there might be human heads hidden in it undecided

I don't gerrit undecided

If you did look closely it was stated 51.2milla
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by santricedupas(m): 1:15am On Feb 18, 2018
nigeria government is a scam and selfish. why will I pay 51 million naira as import duty, how much come be the car. can't I enjoy my money in peace again. them go pack fulani/ hausa custom officers full ogun, lagos, oyo, kwara boarders to check mate southern imports, while for northern nigeria no single custom, army, airforce, nscdc personel go dey duty post. smuggling of arms, foods, machineries by abokis come into nigeria through that axis without documentation, let us restructure and have control over our future and revers the jihadist statement of sir ahmadu bello the northern premier who said that the southern nigeria will not have control over there future.

4 Likes

Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by doyinbaby(f): 4:30am On Feb 18, 2018
With 51million naira import duty on one car......ha ha.....smuggling will continue no matter what

1 Like

Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by Nobody: 5:34am On Feb 18, 2018
why arent these goons auctioning these items? they are keeping it to themselves, how are they better than the smugglers.
most custom officials drive flashy cars seizedπ
from people, wharasham!
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by agabusta: 7:03am On Feb 18, 2018
DanielsParker:
51m just to clear a car? I thought it was 35% of the total Worth?

The duty on brand new cars or cars with less than 5k mileage is 70%.
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by Charleswhyte: 7:04am On Feb 18, 2018
Smuggling will actually continue in Nigeria the import duty is too much naaa haba

1 Like

Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by agabusta: 7:15am On Feb 18, 2018
King990:
I don't even understand this custom clearing of a thing, is the motor 51M or that's the clearing fee?

The duty payable on brand new cars is 70% of (cost of purchasing the car + cost of shipping the car).

This is in addition to some other small tax, which i think is 1%.

lonelydora:

Duty payable is a certain percentage of the price tag. 51.2m is not too much for a 2018 Range Rover.

LordAdam16:

Oga, check out the price of a 2018 Range Rover Velar. Estimate the value in Naira.

Compare it to the 51.2m you say is "not too much," then return to edit your comment.

The only reason people aren't protesting the absurd duty on new cars is because most people don't buy new cars in Nigeria. Na rich man problem.

-Lord

Why not give us the prices of all the available trims and do the calculation here instead of forming smart with incomplete information.

It is a form of luxury tax, which is practiced in all countries of the world in one form or the other.

The luxury tax rich folks don't pay on their mansions in Nigeria, let them pay it on their luxury cars.

The amount being paid on mansions abroad is way way higher than this duty people are talking about. And it's somewhat similar to the parking fees of jets. If you can afford it, then be ready to be taxed. Simple.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by dowjones(m): 7:23am On Feb 18, 2018
NaijaMutant:

I don't gerrit undecided

The duty is more expensive than the car.
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by dowjones(m): 7:24am On Feb 18, 2018
DanielsParker:
51m just to clear a car? I thought it was 35% of the total Worth?

70% since last February
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by agabusta: 7:26am On Feb 18, 2018
Ollymurs:
Horrible country!

How can import charges be nearly about 300% of the cost of the car.

A range rover Velar starts at $50,000 USD = N 18,250,000 and the Govt wants to tax it at N 51 million, add that to the cost of the car. why wouldnt smuggling trive?

Total cost N 69.250 million

Haba! What sort of country do we live in where govt cant provide for its people but tries to take away the little the people have to fund its corrupt, selfish and personal expenditures

Cost starts at $50k you said. Do you know the trim and the cost of the one accosted? Why can't we just be thorough with things in this country.

You are very wrong. There is no way the payable duty on a car can be 300% the value of the car.

Try and get yourself informed. Go to customs site, the way duty calculations are made is downloadable from the site.

1 Like

Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by dowjones(m): 7:26am On Feb 18, 2018
King990:
I don't even understand this custom clearing of a thing, is the mootor 51M or that's the clearing fee?

51 million is the duty charge. Clearly stated in the article. The copy and paste blogger out 51 million as the price tag
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by dowjones(m): 7:29am On Feb 18, 2018
sophoccles:

Total cost is N51m. Including duty fees.

It's unfortunate that Nigeria is being governed by dullards who focus on exorbitant taxes, duties etc as a means of funding govt expenditure, instead of looking for ways to actually put the population into gainful employment. We don't produce any of these cars, so people (including Muhammadu Buhari and his ignorant henchmen) will always import them. Unless we plan to go back to the dark ages.

The only difference is that these govt people ride cars bought via public funds so they remain ignorant of the plight of the masses. It makes no sense taxing essential items to death when we lack the capacity to manufacture them locally. Tax commodities that have locally produced alternatives and boost local production as a consequence, but no, they will never do that because they take bribes from the economic saboteurs who import such crap!

Dude. 51 million is the tax !

"This is the seizure of the month. This keyless entry vehicle has a duty payable value of N51.2m,” he said. Apart from the 13 impounded vehicles, there are other seizures made from smugglers within the period and they are 1,168 bags of 50kg foreign rice, 221 kegs of vegetable oil, five sacks of second-hand shoes, and two sacks of second-hand bags"
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by agabusta: 7:39am On Feb 18, 2018
dowjones:

70% since last February

Last Feb??

Cost of clearing brand new cars has been 70% since the days of GEJ, when he put forward the automotive policy. Pls don't feed the public with wrong info.

Duty on used cars is 35% while that of brand new and relatively new is 70%.
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by LordAdam16: 8:44am On Feb 18, 2018
agabusta:

The duty payable on brand new cars is 70% of (cost of purchasing the car + cost of shipping the car).

This is in addition to some other small tax, which i think is 1%.

Why not give us the prices of all the available trims and do the calculation here instead of forming smart with incomplete information.

It is a form of luxury tax, which is practiced in all countries of the world in one form or the other.

The luxury tax rich folks don't pay on their mansions in Nigeria, let them pay it on their luxury cars.

The amount being paid on mansions abroad is way way higher than this duty people are talking about. And it's somewhat similar to the parking fees of jets. If you can afford it, then be ready to be taxed. Simple.

STFU!

The import duty on new cars--all new cars--is 70%.

Doesn't matter if you are importing a new Hyundai Elantra or a new McClaren P1. That's not a form of luxury tax, that's stup*dity.

Except you're saying it should be a luxury to import new cars in Nigeria.

And if you can't do a simple Google search to find out the price of a car, use a calculator to convert the price in dollars to naira using Customs exchange rate, then compare it to the duty, you need to kill yourself. You are a waste of space.

Where do they make dumb f*ckers like you who want everything handed to them on a plate. The person I sent it to didn't complain, but you just had to sneak in your id*ocy to be noticed.

-Lord
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by LordAdam16: 8:45am On Feb 18, 2018
agabusta:

Last Feb??

Cost of clearing brand new cars has been 70% since the days of GEJ, when he put forward the automotive policy. Pls don't feed the public with wrong info.

Duty on used cars is 35% while that of brand new and relatively new is 70%.

It was delayed for a while you a$$wipe. F*cking ignorant POS!

-Lord
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by Nobody: 8:52am On Feb 18, 2018
You should get yourself enlightened instead, did you read the post thoroughly? I guess not, if u did you obviously failed to see the part where the comptroller stated that the payable duty on that car is N 51.2m, or did you also miss where he said this is thier biggest seizure so far? Therefor my assertions are based on what he said and not what is written on thier website,

You talk like you are from Gabon, no offence to Gabonese people, For your information I have imported cars in the past, When you buy a car for as low as $1000 abroad considering cost of shipping was about $700-800, it just got increased to about $950. It puts the landing cost of the car at $1800 then it gets here and you shell out N 500k or more On import duty, what percentage value is that? Keep in mind that this analogy is for impotation of cars between 2001-2006. The Range Rover Velar is a 2017-2018 car. Plenty eyes on it

So do the math.

Please before you quote or mention on what you know nothing about “ Do Your Fact Findings well” dont come here and point me to a website.

agabusta:

Cost starts at $50k you said. Do you know the trim and the cost of the one accosted? Why can't we just be thorough with things in this country.

You are very wrong. There is no way the payable duty on a car can be 300% the value of the car.

Try and get yourself informed. Go to customs site, the way duty calculations are made is downloadable from the site.
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by agabusta: 10:17am On Feb 18, 2018
Ollymurs:
You should get yourself enlightened instead, did you read the post thoroughly? I guess not, if u did you obviously failed to see the part where the comptroller stated that the payable duty on that car is N 51.2m, or did you also miss where he said this is thier biggest seizure so far? Therefor my assertions are based on what he said and not what is written on thier website,

You talk like you are from Gabon, no offence to Gabonese people, For your information I have imported cars in the past, When you buy a car for as low as $1000 abroad considering cost of shipping was about $700-800, it just got increased to about $950. It puts the landing cost of the car at $1800 then it gets here and you shell out N 500k or more On import duty, what percentage value is that? Keep in mind that this analogy is for impotation of cars between 2001-2006. The Range Rover Velar is a 2017-2018 car. Plenty eyes on it

So do the math.

Please before you quote or mention on what you know nothing about “ Do Your Fact Findings well” dont come here and point me to a website.

You are the one that needs enlightening. I will ignore some of your rude remarks. Quit your unnessary sermon, you are obviously not the only one to have imported cars.

The fact that your clearing agent conned you of 500k does not mean that was the amount eventually paid to customs.

You also ignorantly failed to point out that your agent will also put his mark up on any amount you are paying as his own profit. This is where your negotiation acumen based on how informed you are comes in.

Kindly note also, that there is restriction on some ages of cars (15years I think). These cars are still dubiously cleared with a lot if settlement here and there. In this case, the cost of buying the car over there will definitely not add up with the eventual cost of clearing it. Since such cars are illegally cleared.

Oga even now, the duty on cars valued around $3000 is just a little less/above 500k.you are free to make your findings. A lot of information even abound on nairaland in this regard. Just go to the right thread and you'll see it there.

Now to put your experience in proper perspective, state the make and year of the car and the year it was cleared, and you'll be provided with an estimate of how much should have cleared it. It's not rocket science.
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by agabusta: 10:21am On Feb 18, 2018
LordAdam16:

It was delayed for a while you a$$wipe. F*cking ignorant POS!

-Lord

Stop foaming in the mouth like an epileptic and get yourself informed. Cost of clearing new cars has been 70% since GEJ time.

The cost of clearing used cars (which was 35%) was supposed to be increased further, but this was delayed due to the coming election as at then.
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by Obidikefidelis(m): 10:53am On Feb 18, 2018
After intercepting the cars, u will still sell it to ur selfish desire,
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by LordAdam16: 11:20am On Feb 18, 2018
agabusta:

Stop foaming in the mouth like an epileptic and get yourself informed. Cost of clearing new cars has been 70% since GEJ time.

The cost of clearing used cars (which was 35%) was supposed to be increased further, but this was delayed due to the coming election as at then.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new-tariffs-for-vehicles-take-effect/

Mumu!

-Lord
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by texazzpete(m): 11:21am On Feb 18, 2018
Motor wey dem go auction for 5m naira.
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by agabusta: 2:02pm On Feb 18, 2018
LordAdam16:

http://sunnewsonline.com/new-tariffs-for-vehicles-take-effect/

Mumu!

-Lord

Na you and that half baked journalist be the real mumus. In fact, na you mumu pass.

The 35%/70% policy has started way back during GEJ. Go and ask any clearing agent.

That news was incorrect. Guardian was the first paper to push that that fake news that time, and when it graced nairaland, in the same wise, I rightly informed people.

The 35%/70% started with GEJ automotive policy. Continue fooling yourself.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/09/fgs-70-duty-imported-cars-will-trigger-hardship/amp/
Re: N51M Range Rover SUV Abandoned By Smugglers In Ogun (Photos) by ubox: 2:13pm On Feb 18, 2018
DanielsParker:

oh wow. really?
Yeah, for the luxurious rides

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Zambian Woman Takes Selfie With Her Half Dead Husband, Sends It To Her Boyfriend / Guy Caught Selling Soap As Phone In Lagos (see Photo) / Businessman, Linus Owuamanam, Murdered In Ibadan By Unknown Gunmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.