Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,336 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:59 AM

Who Controls The Police In A State? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Controls The Police In A State? (671 Views)

Wike Thanks Buhari For Refunding N78.9bn To Rivers, Appeals For A State Visit / 4 RCCG Kidnapped Members Rescued By Police In Ogun / Fatai Owoseni Controls Traffic In Ikorodu (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Controls The Police In A State? by blazhykowskyi(m): 11:51am On Feb 19, 2018
The recent menace of fulani herdsmen in the country has opened the debate as to who controls the police in the state. People are putting up the argument that the governors do not control the security apparatus in their respective states. This has made the call for state police more loud.

In my humble opinion, I believe it's all politics. While I agree with the decentralization of the police force, I do not agree with the propaganda. During elections, the police are used by the incumbent governors to rig elections, protect ballot box snatchers and sometimes help in snatching ballot boxes, harass political opponents and help in multiple thumb printing on the orders of state governors. The police will do the bidding of the highest bidder. The police do not have religious or ethnic affiliations but money. They only answer to money and they no friend to anybody. The reason a policeman you think is your friend will even implicate you in a case and act as if he never knew you from Adam. How come this same police force no longer take orders from governors? Except you want to believe the asinine excuse of taking orders from above. Nobody from above would tell a policeman not to arrest a killer in Nigeria no matter how highly placed he is.

Let's stop giving these governors silly excuse because of our political or religious affiliations. They know what to do to tackle these menace if they have the will.

Why is our national legislature silent over this menace? Why can't any southern legislator raise a motion for the total ban of open grazing in Nigeria as the method is archaic and no longer in tandem with the realities of today's world? Are they not part of the government?

1 Like

Re: Who Controls The Police In A State? by mikejj(m): 11:55am On Feb 19, 2018
grin grin i think is time to sell this country and buy another one.owanbeh
Re: Who Controls The Police In A State? by SakuraSimiola: 8:13pm On Apr 10, 2018
Stop making boring threads.
Re: Who Controls The Police In A State? by gidgiddy: 9:36pm On Apr 10, 2018
blazhykowskyi:
The recent menace of fulani herdsmen in the country has opened the debate as to who controls the police in the state. People are putting up the argument that the governors do not control the security apparatus in their respective states. This has made the call for state police more loud.

In my humble opinion, I believe it's all politics. While I agree with the decentralization of the police force, I do not agree with the propaganda. During elections, the police are used by the incumbent governors to rig elections, protect ballot box snatchers and sometimes help in snatching ballot boxes, harass political opponents and help in multiple thumb printing on the orders of state governors. The police will do the bidding of the highest bidder. The police do not have religious or ethnic affiliations but money. They only answer to money and they no friend to anybody. The reason a policeman you think is your friend will even implicate you in a case and act as if he never knew you from Adam. How come this same police force no longer take orders from governors? Except you want to believe the asinine excuse of taking orders from above. Nobody from above would tell a policeman not to arrest a killer in Nigeria no matter how highly placed he is.

Let's stop giving these governors silly excuse because of our political or religious affiliations. They know what to do to tackle these menace if they have the will.

Why is our national legislature silent over this menace? Why can't any southern legislator raise a motion for the total ban of open grazing in Nigeria as the method is archaic and no longer in tandem with the realities of today's world? Are they not part of the government?

No governor controls the Nigerian police. A Governor has no power over the commissioner of police in his state.The best a Governor can do in times of trouble is to ring up the commissioner of Police for help. While I support some form state police, I don't want it the way Nigeria is currently structured. Having a state police at this time will only make Governors even more powerful than they currently are because it will give them a "private Army" which they will use to terrorise all opposition.

1 Like

Re: Who Controls The Police In A State? by Blue3k(m): 12:43am On Apr 11, 2018
It's dead on arrival because of political gridlock. The other legislators won't budge and they won't get 50% no matter what. It's the same way why the grazing reserves failed woefully each time national assembly brought it up.

Your state assemblies are free to do it. Most are cool with the status quo though. The only states to do total van like yoy asked is Benue and Taraba. The other nearly restricted the time and places herding can be done.

blazhykowskyi:

Re: Who Controls The Police In A State? by mikolo80: 5:26pm On Apr 11, 2018
mikejj:
grin grin i think is time to sell this country and buy another one.owanbeh
go sell your papa house na
Re: Who Controls The Police In A State? by Omololu2121: 5:37pm On Apr 11, 2018
The IGP is in charge of state commissioner of police

(1) (Reply)

El Rufai Demolishes Headquarters Of Factional Apc In The Dead Of The Night, See / Those Criticising The President Are Not His Enemies - Shehu Sani / Actor Kenneth Okonkwo To Rule Enugu State Like Nollywood In 2019 As APC Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.