Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:57 PM

Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? (2551 Views)

Oceanic Bank Test! / Oceanic Bank Update / Oceanic Bank: If You Applied Before August 21st Please Re-apply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by ashala(m): 8:59am On Mar 07, 2007
I have been invited for virgin nigeria interview this friday, but the wahala here is that i am already working in oceanic bank in the east. So i am wondering if it will be worth the risk leaving my office in imo state to lagos for the interview when i dont even know the package of virgin nigeria. So guys what do you think?
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by 1forall: 10:21am On Mar 07, 2007
Now this is one of those decisions you make yourself.
But u can try this:
Take pen and paper and list the pros and cons of each job in detail and look at them side by side, it should give u a broader picture of the situation and may help u to better decide.
Good luck.
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by Mishie: 3:01pm On Mar 07, 2007
ashala, its about the total incentives you get to recieve from both organisations. try finding out what VNA's incentives are like. But above all, its about what gives you fulfilment. you should know what kinda job will fill that.
then, please let me know when you wrote virgins' test, where and what batch. i know those who wrote in Lag back in January had time batches. now its your turn to offer help on this issue as well, aaaight.
make your choice and have a deep convincing thought. surely, you wont get over worked out in VNA like oceanic, cos they (vna ) run shifts, albeit at odd hours sometimes.
that should do for now.
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by Icon(m): 3:32pm On Mar 07, 2007
I heard Oceanic is one of the best paying banks? I don't know much about Virgin renumerations. It also depends on what level they are taking you in as. If they're considering your current experience @ Oceanic, they would likely be willing to pay more. However, if it's entry level, it might not be worth it.
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by Blow(m): 3:55pm On Mar 07, 2007
Use

the Salary, Working condition/environment and
career progression opportunity

as criteria before you take any decision

Anyway go for the interview first.
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by Blow(m): 3:58pm On Mar 07, 2007
its about the total incentives you get to recieve from both organisations. try finding out what VNA's incentives are like

What about the time you spend in the office,
what about the operations of the job
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by LoverBwoy(m): 4:28pm On Mar 07, 2007
what kind of people apply for jobs without knowing what they'll get? undecided
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by gmcln(m): 4:39pm On Mar 07, 2007
Don't forget the cost of living in Lagos.
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by egoldman(m): 5:03pm On Mar 07, 2007
can't u get two days off from your current job and use it for the interview ?
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by Vickivicki(m): 5:19pm On Mar 07, 2007
ashala we need to know what role u applied for in VNA then we can link some people in VNA for u.
All the best.

The gods are dead.
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by gbengaijot(m): 5:51pm On Mar 07, 2007
I am sure and very very sure that my the adage my mum tells me is still tru and applies till today, and that is the fact that " a bird in hand is worth 2 in the Bush".

U need to ask yourself, if you'll lose your job by going for the interview. If you'll then i guess you shouldnt go.

I also assume that you can always fone in sick/get 2 days off to attend the interview. Cant you?
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by babalawo(m): 6:21pm On Mar 07, 2007
well it depends on ur grade if u are a PIT in oceanic i bet it  u should move,ve been in oceanic 4 three 3 yrs now and though oceanic pays well within the nigerian banking content the PIT scheme just introduced set u back in terms of renumeration and years to  get confirmed-u understand me perfectly
so if your ar a PIT,then i will advice u should prepare for your interview pretend that ur sick for like 3 days before the interview date-bros u bi insider now-and then pray well to leave this hectic job
ITS NOT WORTH IT BEING A BANKER IN NIGERIA WHERE U EARN BIG AND SPEND ALMOST ALL ON FAMILY AND FRIENDS AND EVEN FOES .
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by bonheur: 6:28pm On Mar 07, 2007
for one thing you get a visa to london,joborg if u r a virgin staff plus discounted tickets
so what do ya think?
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by swing: 11:40pm On Mar 07, 2007
its an interview not a call to work (so its not certain)
make sure the risk you take in going for the interview thus not in anyway jeopardize your present job

You said you don't even know the package of virgin nigeria = "i think you are already disqualifying yourself in the interview"

just like LoverBwoy said (what kind of pple apply for jobs without knowing wht dy'l get)
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by lordimpaq(m): 2:12am On Mar 08, 2007
guy, stay where u are,

oceanic pays higher
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by Nobody: 7:44am On Mar 08, 2007
try and contact pple in virgin 2 confirm just what the company is like.too many so called 'world class' nigerian companies ae a case of 'all that glitters'.plus how is d position relative 2 your ambitions and aspirations. cheers.
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by myro(m): 8:11am On Mar 08, 2007
LoverBwoy:

what kind of people apply for jobs without knowing what they'll get? undecided

The kind that need a job Most employers dont tell u jack until you have passed the interview.

I think you should go for the interview and take that time to find out what you need to know about them. You may also want to tell them how you are doing at Oceanic so they know where you are from.

Also, listen to most of the replies , they give great advice.
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by ashala(m): 12:43pm On Mar 08, 2007
Guys,you people are too much.Well,for those that asked when i wrote the virgin test ,that was some time in January,i cant remember the actual date.And the position is customer service Agent.Already i am a P.I.T in Oceanic bank,the pay is o.k,but you know how stressfull bank work can be.As for taking excuse from the office,i did that last week when i came to Lagos for the Nlng test,so you see, it wont be easy geting another pass;and like they say, a bird at hand is worth more than three million in the bush.So @ the moment,i am really thinking.
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by segedoo(m): 12:51pm On Mar 08, 2007
@ ashala

what do u want in life?
which of these 2 organizations will help u fulfil ur ultimate dreams?

omo forget the money jo! chase your dreams. if you love travelling for instance why rot away in a bank?
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by mrceaser: 6:07pm On Mar 09, 2007
Babalawo, I totally agree with you,  being a banker myself I can boldly say banking is not what it seems despite the fat pay, guy if you have dreams to follow as someone mentioned, just follow your dreams. Apart from Meg Witman of Ebay I do not know of any employee who is in the big league of the wealthy, That is to say if the job at Virgin will help widen your horizon you should go for it, but please keep your eyes open cos in the long run a JOB keeps you Just Over Broke,  you should strive to stand on your own one day, I am still in banking but I have decided to turn the frustrations to fun so i guess that is why i am still here,  Feel my thots on banking at www.bankerslife..com
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by Mishie: 8:20pm On Mar 09, 2007
please house, a number of peeps have come here to tell us they have been called up for VNA I.T skill test/ interview, but when they are asked to tell us what its like they rarely show up to help.
some of us are invited for the test on monday and havent an idea what it looks like.please can someone help me out? thanks, y'all.
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by mujila: 10:42am On Mar 10, 2007
Ashala what position did you apply for in VNA? I work with VNA!
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by mujila: 10:53am On Mar 10, 2007
Customer service agent is a grade 2 position in VNA so it all depends on your package in Oceanic.
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by ashala(m): 11:34am On Mar 10, 2007
@ mujila,

Plz whats the package for customer service Agent like?
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by mujila: 11:42am On Mar 10, 2007
its about 1.2mill a year!If you are confirmed which takes 6months if you have a nice Manager!
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by ashala(m): 11:54am On Mar 10, 2007
the 1.2mill.Is it after confirmation?
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by mujila: 12:17pm On Mar 10, 2007
Yep, A little bit more than that,i dont have the exact figures!
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by mujila: 12:25pm On Mar 10, 2007
@ Ashala

How much r u earning now?
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by theforce(m): 12:57am On Mar 13, 2007
vna work is 24hrs, you work about 15days a month 12hrs a day for 2 days, and then 2 day of, 12hrs a night for 2 nights and then 2 days off,

it can be fun, but the pay aint spectacular, but travelling is easier, and you have quite an amount of time to your self, and if you look at it from the angle that it is just about 2yrs old, the sky is your beginning in the organisation,
Re: Oceanic Bank To Virgin Nigeria: Worth It? by ashala(m): 7:32pm On Jun 15, 2018
Looking back, I can only thank God I stuck with Oceanic

(1) (Reply)

Management Trainee Position At Tequila Nigeria. / Airline Ticket Agent / Nbc Calling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.