Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,269 members, 7,811,778 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:26 PM

Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars (11749 Views)

Young Men Who Own Cars Have More Sex – Study Reveals / 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria / Nigeria At 57: These Cars Have Rocked Nigerian Roads For The Past 57 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by Automotive1(m): 6:22am On Feb 20, 2018

In the age of 5 to 9-speed transmission, it can be a little hard to imagine a car with only one gear.

So why do electric cars use just a single gear, rather than using traditional transmissions like you’d find paired with internal combustion engines?

The answer is simple:
They get away without numerous gears because they are high revving(20,000rpm), remain fairly efficient across a very broad rev range, and produce a great amount of torque at low RPM. Also starting up the engine always have enough power to move the car without an overdrive gear.

Typical car maxes out at 6000-7000 RPMs, after which you risk damage to the little bits that connect the cylinders to the drive shaft. 

One of the biggest differences between electric cars and internal conbustion engines has to do with the drivetrain. An internal combustion vehicle has a multi-speed gearbox with numerous ratios and requires multiple gears to move from a stop,cruise comfortably and to reach a top speed.

Internal combustion engine like the petrol and diesel cars have different amount of torque and horsepower through out the rpm range, but electric cars have the same amount of torque and horsepower at all times instantly.

By doing some math to solve for the gear ratio, it works out to show a single gear with an 11.4:1 ratio can reach 225 kph (roughly 140 mph) while spinning to 20,000 rpm.

So instead of packing the car with numerous gears, engineers and designers of electric cars just pick a gear ratio that provides a good compromise between acceleration and desired top speed.

It's worth noting exceptions do exist. The original Tesla Roadster began life with a 2-speed transmission, but the company eventually did replace it with a single-speed unit.

As electric cars continue to grow in market share, the age of 1-speed gearboxes may just be getting started.What do you think ?

Source https://autojosh.com/reasons-electric-cars-1-gear-not-multi-geared-like-typical-cars/

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by hisgrace090: 6:29am On Feb 20, 2018
Technology moving ahead.

Kudos to science!

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by Tapout(m): 6:40am On Feb 20, 2018
hisgrace090:
Technology moving ahead.

Kudos to science!

While in this part of the world people are still trying to obtain pvc.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by Aldebaran(m): 6:51am On Feb 20, 2018
informative

Just got a clearer understanding ...

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by mannycrown: 7:16am On Feb 20, 2018
Buhari and Fashola should better fix Nigeria's power, else when the tokunbos of these electric cars will be shipped to us, we still won't be able to appreciate the wonder and beauty of this emerging technology.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by helphelp: 7:22am On Feb 20, 2018
Where we dey run go sef wey we need 5
Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by Roon9(m): 7:22am On Feb 20, 2018
Today is my birthday
And I've never gotten 200 likes on nl before
Mk unu help a brother grin

57 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by Xeedorf: 7:23am On Feb 20, 2018
Noted.
Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by kevoh(m): 7:24am On Feb 20, 2018
Tapout:

While in this part of the world people are still trying to obtain pvc.
and dash land to nomadic cattle rearers angry angry

7 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by Emvico34: 7:24am On Feb 20, 2018
am not going to comment on this topic because am hungry. embarassed i will comment when lala bribe me with a plate of snake pepper soup smiley

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by plainol(m): 7:25am On Feb 20, 2018
Electric cars and solar energy will soon make oil useless. I wonder where and when it will catch Nigeria by surprise.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by medexico(m): 7:36am On Feb 20, 2018
I don't even understand
Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by YesNo(m): 7:57am On Feb 20, 2018
Roon9:
Today is my birthday

do you get bank alerts for every LIKE ?
or does it make your dick get bigger ?
or are there any health benefits attached to it ?

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by Weareone202: 7:57am On Feb 20, 2018
Nice
Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by MrMoney007: 8:00am On Feb 20, 2018
Roon9:
Today is my birthday And I've never gotten 200 likes on nl before Mk unu help a brother grin
May your reasoning never advance beyond this, Amen. wasted human being

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by tukdi: 8:07am On Feb 20, 2018
MrMoney007:

SMH

So someone cannot play again abi?

Mtcheeew

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by MrMoney007: 8:28am On Feb 20, 2018
tukdi:

SMH

Mtcheeew
Don't you think this kind of a guy is the reason men don't have respect? soon, possession of D!cks won't qualify you as a real man

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by Roon9(m): 8:29am On Feb 20, 2018
MrMoney007:

Lols easy bro
I know life's frustrating for you
Cheers
Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by Roon9(m): 8:30am On Feb 20, 2018
YesNo:

do you get bank alerts for every LIKE ?
or does it make your dick get bigger ?
or are there any health benefits attached to it ?

Life's easy bro
No time

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by Nobody: 8:34am On Feb 20, 2018
Automotive1:

In the age of 5 to 9-speed transmission, it can be a little hard to imagine a car with only one gear.

So why do electric cars use just a single gear, rather than using traditional transmissions like you’d find paired with internal combustion engines?

The answer is simple:
They get away without numerous gears because they are high revving(20,000rpm), remain fairly efficient across a very broad rev range, and produce a great amount of torque at low RPM. Also starting up the engine always have enough power to move the car without an overdrive gear.

Typical car maxes out at 6000-7000 RPMs, after which you risk damage to the little bits that connect the cylinders to the drive shaft. 

One of the biggest differences between electric cars and internal conbustion engines has to do with the drivetrain. An internal combustion vehicle has a multi-speed gearbox with numerous ratios and requires multiple gears to move from a stop,cruise comfortably and to reach a top speed.

Internal combustion engine like the petrol and diesel cars have different amount of torque and horsepower through out the rpm range, but electric cars have the same amount of torque and horsepower at all times instantly.

By doing some math to solve for the gear ratio, it works out to show a single gear with an 11.4:1 ratio can reach 225 kph (roughly 140 mph) while spinning to 20,000 rpm.

So instead of packing the car with numerous gears, engineers and designers of electric cars just pick a gear ratio that provides a good compromise between acceleration and desired top speed.

It's worth noting exceptions do exist. The original Tesla Roadster began life with a 2-speed transmission, but the company eventually did replace it with a single-speed unit.

As electric cars continue to grow in market share, the age of 1-speed gearboxes may just be getting started.What do you think ?

Source https://autojosh.com/reasons-electric-cars-1-gear-not-multi-geared-like-typical-cars/

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44

Electric cars are cars for the future......The very distant future.

Fossil Fuel powered cars will still rule.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by Psoul(m): 8:53am On Feb 20, 2018
Roon9:
Today is my birthday

What do you want to do with it?

Na food?

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by moorevic(m): 9:56am On Feb 20, 2018
I don't understand what this is doing in Nigeria land where our daily bread is not promised.
Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by xy85(m): 3:09pm On Jul 04, 2019
tukdi:

SMH

dont mind them. Mtcheeew

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by tck2000(m): 12:05am On Aug 09, 2019
i prefer multiple gear
Re: Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars by tck2000(m): 12:06am On Aug 09, 2019
multiple gear

(1) (Reply)

Share Your First Driving Experience / If It Works, It Ain't Stupid / What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.