Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,223 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:56 AM

Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? (20383 Views)

More Doctors To Leave Nigeria As COVID-19 Gets Worse In USA / COVID-19: Chinese Doctors To Arrive Nigeria Today, To Spend One Month / Doctors To Embark On Nationwide Strike Over NUC’s PhD Directive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by ansger: 12:24pm On Feb 20, 2018
I have a girlfriend who I intend marrying. I asked her about her medical records which she showed me. She told me she's at a cross road over her genotype because the two tests she did in the last five years showed AA and AS respectively, from different hospitals though. I told her to go for another test recently and it came out to be AS still.

I saw the record of the first one which was AA and it was from a government hospital, while the two last ones are from a Private Hospital. I seriously need advise here because I'm AS too.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by Acidosis(m): 12:38pm On Feb 20, 2018
Go back to the government hospital and present your case to the Medical Officer.

18 Likes

Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by Ekugbeh(m): 12:54pm On Feb 20, 2018
Go do a third one

3 Likes

Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by Gloriagee(f): 1:03pm On Feb 20, 2018
Yeah mistakes happen all the time. I kid you not. I remember when I was about getting married and the church requested for genotype results. I stopped by at a hospital with good structure and they took my blood sample. I told them I'll be back in the evening after work to pick up the results.

In the evening, got there picked up my neatly packaged result in an envelope which indicated my genotype was different from the typical one I had known from childhood so I was quite surprised but felt all was OK till I noticed the lab staff were jittery and whispering to themselves.

When I asked what the ish was, they said that there was an issue as per they did not follow the standard for getting the blood sample. That the results was not consistent and that I should not be angry. They now retook the samples and that my genotype was not what they advised previously.

I left utterly bewildered so if I hadn't known my genotype before that's how I would have been deceived. Since then I no longer doubt ppl who say they thought they were Aa before marriage and later found out they were AS.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Feb 20, 2018
Gloriagee:
Yeah mistakes happen all the time. I kid you not. I remember when I was about getting married and the church requested for genotype results. I stopped by at a hospital with good structure and they took my blood sample. I told them I'll be back in the evening after work to pick up the results.

In the evening, got there picked up my neatly packaged result in an envelope which indicated my genotype was different from the typical one I had known from childhood so I was quite surprised but felt all was OK till I noticed the lab staff were jittery and whispering to themselves.

When I asked what the ish was, they said that there was an issue as per they did not follow the standard for getting the blood sample. That the results was not consistent and that I should not be angry. They now retook the samples and that my genotype was not what they advised previously.

I left utterly bewildered so if I hadn't known my genotype before that's how I would have been deceived. Since then I no longer doubt ppl who say they thought they were Aa before marriage and later found out they were AS.
Wait, are you saying the church would have stopped your marriage for genotype incompatibility ?

Thats quite profound. Faith ?

3 Likes

Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by Gloriagee(f): 1:43pm On Feb 20, 2018
Yeah, the church will have stopped the marriage if both of us were AS. Most Nig churches do and I definitely am in support.
I have no faith to take a chance of birthing sicklers n will avert that risk as much as I can.

Guitarlife:

Wait, are you saying the church would have stopped your marriage for genotype incompatibility ?

42 Likes

Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by ansger: 1:45pm On Feb 20, 2018
Gloriagee:

Wow... I'm quite speechless now.
Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by Nobody: 1:50pm On Feb 20, 2018
Gloriagee:
Yeah, the church will have stopped the marriage if both of us were AS. Most Nig churches do and I definitely am in support.
I have no faith to take a chance of birthing sicklers n will avert that risk as much as I can.

You do have a right to take this position but if the church were to take this logic it totally defeats the whole essence of the message of Faith that the church stands for.

Plus I think for an organisation its totally discriminatory and also intrusive.

Such a decision clearly relegates the seat of the holy spirit. Its rather disturbing, I am not sure churches abroad could pull that off.

They'd get sued and rightly so.

10 Likes

Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by eyinjuege: 1:54pm On Feb 20, 2018
Go to a different govt hospital and repeat the tests.
There may hsve been a lab error in the initial hovt hospital
Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by Gloriagee(f): 2:05pm On Feb 20, 2018
N here's where we disagree. If you have so much faith not to birth sicklers, I dare say u can stand in faith for ur genotype to be changed prior to marriage. A number of churches - Winners, Redeemed and maybe
Salvation Min have recorded such testimonies.

N FYI, the church is not a govt establishment. If you don't accept my rules, u don't have to get married there, so suing for what?

Most Nigerians are always quick to point out the watered down version of oyibo Christianity, the uncovered hair, gay's n Wat have you but I guess you'll accept their standards when it comes to protecting unborn kids. Well, what do I know?

Guitarlife:

You do have a right to take this position but if the church were to take this logic it totally defeats the whole essence of the message of Faith that the church stands for.

Plus I think for an organisation its totally discriminatory and also intrusive.

Such a decision clearly relegates the seat of the holy spirit. Its rather disturbing, I am not sure churches abroad could pull that off.

They'd get sued and rightly so.

16 Likes

Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by Gloriagee(f): 2:06pm On Feb 20, 2018
Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Feb 20, 2018
Gloriagee:
N here's where we disagree. If you have so much faith not to birth sicklers, I dare say u can stand in faith for ur genotype to be changed prior to marriage. A number of churches - Winners, Redeemed and maybe
Salvation Min have recorded such testimonies.

N FYI, the church is not a govt establishment. If you don't accept my rules, u don't have to get married there, so suing for what?

Most Nigerians are always quick to point out the watered down version of oyibo Christianity, the uncovered hair, gay's n Wat have you but I guess you'll accept their standards when it comes to protecting unborn kids. Well, what do I know

My position in 1 word it is not scriptural.

1 Like

Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by Gloriagee(f): 2:12pm On Feb 20, 2018
Yeah, but this is the Op's decision to make and apparently he doesn't want to marry an AS if he's one. Since we don't know his religion or personal experiences, bro, please run another check to avoid stories that touch.. .

Guitarlife:

My position in 1 word it is not scriptural.

1 Like

Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by Papoose269(m): 2:41pm On Feb 20, 2018
Bro, I lost a sister to sickle cell years ago and till date it still hurts because she was such a sweet soul, she had a really bright future ahead of her. This is my advice, look for the most reputable laboratory in your city of residence and get a test done there. Love is not enough in this case, if she is AS please use your head and not your heart because I've seen what sickle cell anaemia does to a human being and you don't want to put an innocent soul through a lifetime of pain all in the name of love. It is well.

26 Likes

Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by congorasta: 3:17pm On Feb 20, 2018
yes...
Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by fisfat(m): 3:17pm On Feb 20, 2018
Doctors ain’t God
Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by ibietela2(m): 3:19pm On Feb 20, 2018
I guess i have to recheck mine
Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by thatigboman: 3:20pm On Feb 20, 2018
ansger:
I have a girlfriend who I intend marrying. I asked her about her medical records which she showed me. She told me she's at a cross road over her genotype because the two tests she did in the last five years showed AA and AS respectively, from different hospitals though. I told her to go for another test recently and it came out to be AS still.

I saw the record of the first one which was AA and it was from a government hospital, while the two last ones are from a Private Hospital. I seriously need advise here because I'm AS too.
it is not doctors that conduct lab tests

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by congorasta: 3:20pm On Feb 20, 2018
Guitarlife:

yes..

my church will stop d marriage if you are an arsenal fan and your wife is man united fan

1 Like

Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by adisabarber(m): 3:20pm On Feb 20, 2018
Yes o, they make mistakes
Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by Dammylois(f): 3:21pm On Feb 20, 2018
Yes it is possible but that's not Doctors' mistake anyway,its the Lab scientist that mix things up...I will advice you don't just rely on the result from one hospital

6 Likes

Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by Strongbest(m): 3:22pm On Feb 20, 2018
ansger:

Doctors are humans and so yes they can make mistakes.
Though such mistakes are uncalled for but don't forget it's Naija we are talking about here.

I think you should go to another reliable hospital for the test.
Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by thatigboman: 3:22pm On Feb 20, 2018
Gloriagee:

how can a church stop an AS from marrying another AS? When I think I have heard it all.

1 Like

Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by guru03(m): 3:22pm On Feb 20, 2018
Gloriagee:

That was my cas. Thank God its now history, happily married with a healthy boy.

1 Like

Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by cpu2006(m): 3:22pm On Feb 20, 2018
av done it 3 times. 1st AS, 2nd AA, 3rd AA. go back and re-do it at registered Hospital.

1 Like

Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by itiswelljor(m): 3:23pm On Feb 20, 2018
Yes it happens, but my advise is for you to go for Genotype confirmation at Ayinke House in Lagos or Bobal Medical Laboratory Centre Ikeja. The mistake can occur at the point lab attendant or scientist is writing indication on the blood sample. It also depends on the blood he uses as control.
Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by slurity1: 3:24pm On Feb 20, 2018
Guitarlife:

Did you know why Jesus decided not to jump when Satan ask him to do so? He simply don't want to mock faith.

8 Likes

Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by osifred(m): 3:24pm On Feb 20, 2018
Yes it is possible. I am a witness.

I had done two tests previously which confirmed that I am AS. It made medical sense since my father was AA and my Mum AS, so it means some of their offspring will be AA while others will be AS.

However, this year January I was not feeling fine and I went to the hospital to to run some test, I took the lab guy to include genotype just so that I can have a recent medical report of my status. it turned out that my genotype was AA instead of AS as I had along thought it was. I queried the lab guy who ran another test to be sure and it still turned out AA.

according to him, it is 100% possible that the previous test result wasn't mine because:
1. the two times I did it, it was in group as part of students' registration process. So there is a high possibility of mixed up.
2. certain factor, I can't recall the medical term he used may not have being put under control. the plain English is that the test wasn't properly conducted.

since then, I have being encouraging all my friends who are AS to recheck their status.

5 Likes

Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by webincomeplus(m): 3:26pm On Feb 20, 2018
There's no blame on doctors here. Genotype tests are conducted by lab scientists. Doctors only read out the results written by the lab scientists. So, if there's any error or mixup, it's from the lab scientists.

5 Likes

Re: Genotype: Is It Possible For Doctors To Make Mistakes? by Tetragramaton(m): 3:26pm On Feb 20, 2018
They make mistakes even for HIV test. Even in general hospitals. Hmmmn Nigeria is a death trap . it is advised to go to well organised labs for proper check up. Certain things happening on ones body can interfere with the test results. But when you go to very good hospitals or labs they use the kind of equipments that will show exactly what the result is. People don't talk about it but wrong diagnosis is killing people faster than what me and you know. That's why I will never go to anyhow lab to do HIV test. Its better to go to 3 of four or even five labs to be certain.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Speech Therapist In Owerri Needed For My Son / UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim / The Prize Of “Delivering Like The Hebrew Women”- Nigerian Health Blog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.