Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,153 members, 7,860,128 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:19 AM

Most Startups Often Crash And Burn - Techbygerald - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Most Startups Often Crash And Burn - Techbygerald (320 Views)

Building Startups And Creative Ideas / Business Incubator For Startups / Terrence Benjamin Chukwu Unveils N200,000 Grant Monthly For Startups (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Most Startups Often Crash And Burn - Techbygerald by BIEmpowerment: 4:18pm On Feb 20, 2018
I started out this blog post knowing absolutely nothing about what I was going to talk about (cause like I said earlier on, I'm still very new to this), but then it hit me; the outrageous number of tech startups springing up these days, one would only wonder if its because it's the "in thing" now or because they actually want to solve genuine problems, and it often looks like they "crash and burn" almost as fast as they are conceived.

Most Startups often crash and burn as fast as they are conceived

WHY NEW BUSINESSES FAIL

A deep look into what's responsible for this while communicating with various tech startup founders over time has revealed that; most founders are often distracted and only interested in creating "an app" or an "online platform" to do "so so so" forgetting the structure and tons of background work and research required to build a business (because tech startup or not, its actually a business), and just like every other business, there has to be structures in place, a very good delivery channel, a good business model, identification and marketing strategy etc. The app or online platform is only basically a leverage in my own opinion (leveraging on the power of technology) to access a wider market.

In Africa this is even more difficult, though there are many surveys about the behavior of internet users pointing towards a positive pedestal, it's nothing but a hoax.
We still have a very looooooong way to go when it comes to internet usage, the patronage and loyalty of customers and that's why I'll advise in my own unholistic opinion that even though you're starting that tech startup for online customers (which of-course you'll get but not enough to make you profitable at this time), ensure to have a diversified means of generating revenue (which should be less dependent on your internet users) whilst we wait on customers to fully adopt internet/eCommerce patronage.

A+B MODEL

A quick peek into certain tech companies adopting this A + B model will reveal companies such as Jobberman for instance, even though characterized as a tech company, they in addition to this carryout offline recruitment, partnerships and training programs.
Irokotv recently deployed kiosks around the city of Lagos to help drive the sales and encourage users to get contents easier; still an offline approach to engage customers (cause obviously these kiosks are not on the internet).
My own startup iFixng.com; has an offline division called iFix corporate where we recruit handymen for engineering outfits, facility management companies, corporate firms, etc.

I can go on and on, but these further goes to drive the nail on my point, which is first off; identify the BUSINESS around that TECH STARTUP you have or want to create and then go on to create alternative and diversified means of generating revenue, depending less on internet users till Nigeria and Africa fully adopts internet / eCommerce patronage.

Thank you for reading this post, I hope its educative and mind blowing for you. Don't forget to subscribe to my newsletters to get fresh contents right in your mail box and also leave your much appreciated comments below.
God be with you till we meet again.
Re: Most Startups Often Crash And Burn - Techbygerald by friendlyadvice: 4:19pm On Feb 20, 2018
grin poor man wan tell person how to make money only for nairaland

(1) (Reply)

Here Is How To Have A Great Team / Grow Your Career By Logo Design Earn Up To $5000 / Apply For Dubai Jobs Opportunities (thousands Are Been Recruited)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.