Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,313 members, 7,811,930 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:01 AM

I Will Succeed Governor Ajimobi. Prof. Adeolu Akande (photos) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Will Succeed Governor Ajimobi. Prof. Adeolu Akande (photos) (581 Views)

Pastor Tunde Bakare: "I Will Succeed Buhari As President Of Nigeria" / Osinbajo’s chopper crash-lands in Kogi - Laolu Akande (Photos) / Why I'm The Best To Succeed Ajimobi Prof Adeolu Akande OYO 2019 (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Will Succeed Governor Ajimobi. Prof. Adeolu Akande (photos) by zabuur: 9:32pm On Feb 20, 2018
YS LIVE by YEMI SONDE ON SPLASH FM 105.5 on 20 Feb. 2018 (10:00hrs)
TOPIC : 2019 GENERAL ELECTIONS – Issues, Challenges.
STUDIO GUESTS –
1. PROF. ADEOLU AKANDE – Chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and the former Deputy Chief Press Secretary to the President of the Fed Rep of Nigeria.
2. RT. Hon. KEHINDE AYOOLA – Former Speaker of Oyo State House of Assembly and a member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

Qs & As –
YS_live – What is our expectation from the 2019 general elections? Are we prepared?

Prof. Akande – From all indications, the nation is getting prepared for the general elections. We can see that the social media has even indicated that there’ll be a huge turn-out of youths during next years election.

YS_live– Is the PDP ready for the 2019 general elections?

Hon. Ayoola – Everyone is getting ready. (interrupted by YS_live)

YS_live – Is PDP ready?

Hon Ayoola – Immediately after the 2015 elections, both the losers and the winners in PDP have gone back to the drawing boards to assess what they have done right and what they need to improve on. They have started taking some steps to show they are ready. One is the registration of members and the second one is the conduct of congresses across the local, State and National levels. Also, the party has been moving round to mobilize members.

YS_live – So, you can affirmatively say that PDP is ready.

Hon. Ayoola – YES

YS_live – Don’t you think that we have some challenges going into the general elections?

Prof. Akande – Since the past one year or more, you can see that we have been preparing and this will still go on even until the election day. There are steps that have been taken to curb some of these challenges. One of it is the age limit to run for public offices that is being addressed and the other one is the use of technology which the House of Assembly has passed to the President waiting for him to sign into law.

YS_live – Underaged voters in Kano in the just concluded election in the state, what do you have to say?

Prof. Akande – INEC has to be transparent. People must see what INEC is doing. The Free and Fair they talk about must start with the voters registration. They must fight harder to curb the challenges being faced during registration of voters. There also has to be a check on the presiding officers.

YS_live – some of the INEC officials claimed they threatened them during the registration of voters and were not allow to work diligently.

Prof. Akande – The excuse/explanation from the INEC staff did not hold water. It is not substantial enough. There is a law that protects the INEC. If they have been threatened to do otherwise, they can actually report and such place where the threats came up will be revisited for proper registration.

YS_live – INEC use of local contents and materials during election. Your view

Prof. Akande – This has a huge impact on the economy. This is a welcome development. It will save the country billions on Naira. Remember how much money was paid out to purchase electoral materials before the last general election. Now that preparation has began, such might be averted.

YS_live – As a politician, what do u think about having the presidential election last?

Hon. Ayoola – Adding to what Prof. said, the teledensity of Nigeria is now 155m. Although, some people use more than a mobile line. Some have as much as 3 different lines. Therefore, INEC should embrace electronic voting. We all know a programme being viewed by millions right now. Millions of people send text messages voting. If such can be done for a private project, what do you think if its encouraged for a national project. Electronic voting will reduce the need for voting materials thereby, reducing the cost of election.
Back to the question asked, it is not something unprecedented.

Prof. Akande – I am ok with the arrangement but, there should be some little amendments. Usually, when a president is elected at first, most states follow suit to vote for the governorship candidate in the same party with the president. This is done so as to be in the good books of the presidency and be favored.

YS_live – After asking citizens about their awareness about the PVC (permanent voters card). We al heard the reactions from different people. This was from the survey taken by Splash FM officials. What are your own reactions to it Sir?

Hon. Ayoola – I honestly commend the effort of Splash FM on the issue of this PVC. For going around to enlighten people on the importance of the PVC. A good number of people are now aware of the process. I beg people not to just collect the PVC but, to collect and use it to vote. And people should make sure that they register and collect their PVCs close to their houses. Not somewhere close to your office and far from your house. We all know there will be restriction of movement on the days of elections. The PVC is only useful when its used to cast ones vote.

YS_live – Some people claimed that some Emirs’ palaces have been turned into Registration centers of INEC. Prof. are u aware?

Prof. Akande – I am not aware of such. INEC have their offices where registrations are being carried out. However, all political parties know the importance of the registration so, they should also be aware of its consequences if there are low turn outs for registration. So, it’s the duty of all parties to join hands and mobilize people to obtain their PVCs.

YS_live – What do you have to say about the defection Syndrome? We all know how Seyi Makinde moved around different parties and Atiku Abubakar as well. So, Prof. Have you been an APC member all through?

Prof. Akande – YES, I have been a registered APC member all through.

Hon. Ayoola – But, Prof. you were in ACN.

Prof. Akande – I was not a registered member of ACN. I have worked under PDP and CAN due to my qualifications and the belief that I would perform my duties well. I have only registered as a member of a party and that’s APC.

YS_live – Hon. Ayoola, what about you Sir?

Hon. Ayoola – I was in AD and now I am in PDP.

YS_live – But, you left PDP in 2015. So its likely you leave PDP again.

Hon. Ayoola – No, although we are forming a Synergy of Politicians. I left PDP then because, some of us were frustrated. There has been a reconciliation that brought some of us back since last year.

YS_live – Is the synergy of politicians you are talking about same as Obasanjo’s Coalition?

Hon. Ayoola – No, but similar.

YS_live – But Hon. You were also in SDP.

Hon. Ayoola – I was not in SDP. It was an alliance. We only worked together. This is similar to the case of AD and APP.

YS_live – Prof. what is your view about the defection syndrome?

Prof. Akande – We have defection because of these 2 factors.
1. Parties are not ideological based.the ideology should even show in the life style.
2. Parties are not yet enforcing their rules, their constitutions. There is impunity like the instances of Injustice.

YS_live – Do you think there is crisis in APC?

Prof. Akande – All parties have their own crisis. An indication of ours is the assignment given by the President to Asiwaju Ahmed Tinubu to reconcile all aggrieved party leaders. Nd bring back unity to the party.

YS_live – Who do you think may succeed Gov. Ajimobi?

Prof. Akande – I am the one. I have enough experience. I have worked with both the State and Federal governments. I studied and teach political science. I am also a journalist. I have had interactions with citizens.

YS_live – How many of you are in the race?

Prof. Akande – Well, the figures keep changing but, presently, we should be upto 30.

YS_live – Do you think you are the best?

Prof. Akande – I believe I have the competence and the experience needed for the task.

YS_live – Has the governor assured you? Because, we know he will definitely have a say

Prof. Akande – No, we all know the party will decide through primaries.

YS_live – Have you spoken to the governor about your intention?

Prof. Akande – Yes I have and he told me the same thing he has told other aspirants. That the primary will decide who will represent the party.

YS_live – Is it true that Governor Ajimobi is a last minute decider?

Prof. Akande – The Governor is meticulous. He has said the right thing and that’s going through the primaries and let the party members decide.

YS_live – If you lose, what will you do?

Prof. Akande – I am not a career politician, I teach Political Science at Igbinedion University. I will definitely return to my job.
I have had the opportunity in working with the state government and the federal government. So I believe my experience will go a long way. I have identified the major problem of our state. And that is poverty.

YS_live –If you do not win, who do you think will?

Prof. Akande – I have never thought about that…..

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

2018: Civil Defence Budgets N5bn For Nuclear Weapon Equipment, Others / Dapchi Schoolgirls: FG Confirms 110 Girls Unaccounted / NNPC Spends N774m Daily Subsidising Petrol –Baru

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.