Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,244 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:31 AM

NASU Vows To Continue Strike - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NASU Vows To Continue Strike (11515 Views)

ASUU To Continue Strike, Fails To Ease Tension / Uk Universities Continue Strike As More Universities Join (photos) / ASUU Branches Vote To Continue Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by Nobody: 1:35pm On Feb 21, 2018
Valfrankie:
Just look at you, what about the widely publicised recovered loots. Why can't the government use part of that money to sort out NASU crisis. I can authoritatively tell you that worse corruption and public fund embezzlement is going on now than ever before. Keep believing the Propaganda they feed you.

1. Let me tell you now that my views on the situation have been formed from my reading widely, and also from having friends, relatives who work or have worked in the university system..as well as observing university strikes since the 1990's. Strikes affected me too badly...I spent one and a half extra years in university as a result.

2.The thing is...govt could use part of the loot recovered (which we do not even know the full amount) to settle NASU. The problem is...what happens when the recovered loot is finished.? Where do we get money to keep on paying NASU full salaries and emoluments on a yearly basis At best...it can only meet NASU's needs partway...and keep in mind that NASU are not the only guys with grievances.

3.The cold fact is that we need about N1.5-2 trillion annually to fund universities adequately.(That's from the ASUU-FG 2009 agreement) Our national budget is N8 trillion. Now...where do you think we would get the money....especially as we also have to fund primary and secondary schools...which could mean another N2trillion.

4.On recovered loot...much of it is still tied up in court cases...so govt can't use that cash just yet.

I knew we were in for it when GEJ's govt told ASUU the honest truth....we cannot give you N1.5 trillion in one year...but we can give you N1 trillion in 5 years...which was when we allegedly had the largest GDP in Africa.Na Bubu's crippled by oil price govt go fund am.

ASUU-FG 2009 AGREEMENT

p.s Why don't they use the recovered loot for health care, primary schools, secondary schools, etc......

1 Like

Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by jonadaft: 1:56pm On Feb 21, 2018
SWORD419:
make dem continue, their strike have no effect, we did our registrations and even conducted some practicals while the y were still on strike
Lol
Mumu
And you think you'll graduate àbí?

2 Likes

Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by Meritocracy: 2:01pm On Feb 21, 2018
SWORD419:
make dem continue, their strike have no effect, we did our registrations and even conducted some practicals while the y were still on strike

Who conducted the practical for you. Lecturers or Technologist? If the strike should be total, infact the internet would be shutdown because lecturers are only to teach not to manage network.

1 Like

Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by KillerBeauty(f): 2:14pm On Feb 21, 2018
Kingzy4pep:
And I want my transcript. This people are just playing with someone's future.
Same issue with me too. I can't get my transcript. After thinking I was done with Nigerian universities strike problem, here I am praying for them to end the strike after graduating 5years ago. It's just too bad

1 Like

Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by emmasege: 2:15pm On Feb 21, 2018
At this juncture, it's important that NASU and SSANU sheathe their swords. The man in Aso Rock is dull of hearing and the Mallam in charge of Nigerian Ministry of education is a dullard like his employer.

Now, you guys know the difference between a GEJ and a PMB. Would GEJ have allowed the strike action to linger for this long?

Let's all enjoy our change while it lasts!

@ KillerBeauty and Kingzy4pep, I understand your plight. I also have a sister who urgently needs her certificate but can't process it due to the strike.

My advice: You guys had better storm Abuja and occupy NASS if you want this strike action called off. It's only Bukola Saraki-led senate that has the remote control of the dullard. He knows which button to press in order to reset the dullard's brain. Alternatively, you can stage a social media crusade like it was done for 'endsars', to achieve your aim.

It's most annoying that government is not taking any action or negotating with the unions in a manner that suggests an imminent end to the strike action.

1 Like

Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by Toktee(m): 2:24pm On Feb 21, 2018
Cromcruach91:

In 2009....FG and the sister union of NASU....ASUU agreed that universities get N3 trillion over 2 years.

In 2013...when ASUU went on strike to enforce that demand....FG told them no money...and reduced it to N1 trillion over 5 years...200bn of which has been paid.

Add the fact that we cannot afford an education budget of 26% of the national budget...ie N2.04 trillion naira...and that money won't just go on universities...pry and sec school....and you see why govt is not answering them

Options left are

1.Another IMF loan

2.Fees have to be raised

3.Everybody pays tax at the rate of 50-60% of your annual income.

Govt is corrupt...but the fact is....the money is not there. That is why the corruption is so painful.
There is no money?
Where is National assembly salaries and allawances coming from without skipping?
We are our own problem,scrap the senate and put that money in educational system.
Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by COOLHOMIE(m): 3:04pm On Feb 21, 2018
This strike is killing us here in unn abeg call it off
Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by Kingzy4pep(m): 3:16pm On Feb 21, 2018
KillerBeauty:

Same issue with me too. I can't get my transcript. After thinking I was done with Nigerian universities strike problem, here I am praying for them to end the strike after graduating 5years ago. It's just too bad
It's just too bad. I missed one deadline last week and another is coming up next month, I'm just hoping they settle this whole issue before the said date.
Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by Nobody: 3:59pm On Feb 21, 2018
emmasege:
At this juncture, it's important that NASU and SSANU sheathe their swords. The man in Aso Rock is dull of hearing and the Mallam in charge of Nigerian Ministry of education is a dullard like his employer.

Now, you guys know the difference between a GEJ and a PMB. Would GEJ have allowed the strike action to linger for this long?

Let's all enjoy our change while it lasts!

@ KillerBeauty and Kingzy4pep, I understand your plight. I also have a sister who urgently needs her certificate but can't process it due to the strike.

My advice: You guys had better storm Abuja and occupy NASS if you want this strike action called off. It's only Bukola Saraki-led senate that has the remote control of the dullard. He knows which button to press in order to reset the dullard's brain. Alternatively, you can stage a social media crusade like it was done for 'endsars', to achieve your aim.

It's most annoying that government is not taking any action or negotating with the unions in a manner that suggests an imminent end to the strike action.

GEJ did negotiate with ASUU, NASU et al....just to tell them the money was not enough.

No, I am not insulting him. The truth is, the money needed to fix education is not small.

(Under GEJ....the Education Minister and Poly lecturers signed an agreement on salaries....only for Salaries and Wages commission to tell them that paying the new salary structure was impossible)

Keep in mind that the issue NASU has been pursuing has been on since 2009.

The way forward is to increase fees....which you people don't want.
Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by Valfrankie(m): 4:11pm On Feb 21, 2018
Cromcruach91:

1. Let me tell you now that my views on the situation have been formed from my reading widely, and also from having friends, relatives who work or have worked in the university system..as well as observing university strikes since the 1990's. Strikes affected me too badly...I spent one and a half extra years in university as a result.

2.The thing is...govt could use part of the loot recovered (which we do not even know the full amount) to settle NASU. The problem is...what happens when the recovered loot is finished.? Where do we get money to keep on paying NASU full salaries and emoluments on a yearly basis At best...it can only meet NASU's needs partway...and keep in mind that NASU are not the only guys with grievances.

3.The cold fact is that we need about N1.5-2 trillion annually to fund universities adequately.(That's from the ASUU-FG 2009 agreement) Our national budget is N8 trillion. Now...where do you think we would get the money....especially as we also have to fund primary and secondary schools...which could mean another N2trillion.

4.On recovered loot...much of it is still tied up in court cases...so govt can't use that cash just yet.

I knew we were in for it when GEJ's govt told ASUU the honest truth....we cannot give you N1.5 trillion in one year...but we can give you N1 trillion in 5 years...which was when we allegedly had the largest GDP in Africa.Na Bubu's crippled by oil price govt go fund am.

ASUU-FG 2009 AGREEMENT

p.s Why don't they use the recovered loot for health care, primary schools, secondary schools, etc......

We have all encountered strike action at some point during our University education. The bother is why the situation has been allowed to persist to the extent it is now considered an annual event.

The focus is on the present. The government should attend to their present demands and negotiate a new payment option that would suit both parties to be budgeted for in future. Offset part of the accumulated arrears and look into other possible alternatives.

Out of the 8Trillion annual budget, only a figment is actually accounted for. Where does the rest go? The cold truth is, our Universities are poorly funded and ill equipped. If billions could be budgeted for the State's house feeding alone, our Universities might as well insist on getting their fair share of the National largess.

4.On recovered loot...much of it is still tied up in court cases...so govt can't use that cash just yet
The government is no stranger to overriding court orders. Unfortunately, you will be amazed at what will become of all that fund, reembezzlement. Yeah right, the money just changed hands. It's never going to be used for any development projects. If you doubt, Where is our Paris Loan fund?

PS: would have been much better, but then the recovered loots have not been used for anything at all!!!
Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by ebuka6404(m): 4:13pm On Feb 21, 2018
After we thought we are done with ASUU, nasu won't let go.

Abeg ooo.. angry
Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by Bifrost: 5:37pm On Feb 21, 2018
COOLHOMIE:
This strike is killing us here in unn abeg call it off

How is if affecting you guys over there?
Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by Samuel5275: 6:01pm On Feb 21, 2018
CROWNWEALTH019:
grin make them allow my sister graduate finish before them go on strike cheesy

So wetin dey go on now?
Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by Scamperlee(m): 7:02pm On Feb 21, 2018
God will take control. I am currently in need of help in my music career. I am a talented upcoming artist and Actor with many songs and scripts.
Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by obutex2(m): 7:56pm On Feb 21, 2018
seunlly:
futa student sighted

Why you dey reason like APC people?
Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by obutex2(m): 7:58pm On Feb 21, 2018
SWORD419:

Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by obutex2(m): 7:59pm On Feb 21, 2018
SWORD419:
Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by willidaine(m): 8:12pm On Feb 21, 2018
Honestly, its gotten to a point where i've simply given up on Nigeria and its Educational system.
Nysc mobilization is around the corner, which simple means Graduates waiting to be cleared might have to wait till November, before being mobilized.
Thats a further 9 months from now.
How long will this continue as there is no silver lining of any sort.??
And Employers are now so keen on the age limit.
I wish i could cry away my frustrations.Sadly, it appears my Heart is made of Stone.
Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by writeprof(m): 8:35pm On Feb 21, 2018
It's a sad development because this strike is affecting a lot of things no matter how the academic staff try they are not finding it easy because there is a limit to what they can do.
But more tragic, is the way the government has successfully created an atmosphere not conducive for LEARNING. The animosity between ASUU and NASU members should be a cause of concern to all. After many years in the university, I have never seen it like this.
Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by seunlly(m): 10:08pm On Feb 21, 2018
obutex2:

You quoted the wrong person right..
Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by seunlly(m): 10:10pm On Feb 21, 2018
Jonathan:

Lol
Mumu
And you think you'll graduate àbí?
He won't even do matric

1 Like

Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by COOLHOMIE(m): 3:36am On Feb 22, 2018
Bifrost:

How is if affecting you guys over there?
registration has not started hostels is a mess
Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by Bifrost: 4:37am On Feb 22, 2018
COOLHOMIE:
registration has not started hostels is a mess

Are there essential services like water, electricity etc?
Re: NASU Vows To Continue Strike by emmasege: 6:36am On Feb 22, 2018
Cromcruach91:

GEJ did negotiate with ASUU, NASU et al....just to tell them the money was not enough.

No, I am not insulting him. The truth is, the money needed to fix education is not small.

(Under GEJ....the Education Minister and Poly lecturers signed an agreement on salaries....only for Salaries and Wages commission to tell them that paying the new salary structure was impossible)

Keep in mind that the issue NASU has been pursuing has been on since 2009.

The way forward is to increase fees....which you people don't want.
Yes, GEJ did negotiate with them but he conceded to some of their demands, and as an insider, I can tell you that universities were 'better' funded under GEJ. In addition, there was no fractional salary and university staff salaries were paid on or before 25 of every month.

What we are saying is that Buhari's government is not showing enough commitment to taking initiatives to end this strike. By now, negotiations should be ongoing and sustained until the strike is called off.

If part of the conditions for ending this perennial strike is increasing the school fees, so be it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How New Provost Of The College Of Education, Ikere Was Appointed / Customary Ruler Who Bagged Degree At 73 Set For Law School / UTME: JAMB Speaks On Parents, Others Making Changes To Candidates' Profile

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.