Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,586 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:32 PM

A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam (1942 Views)

Is This A Typical Food Chain In One Picture? One Word Caption / Are You A Student Preparing For A Computer Based Examination?. / Typical Nigerian Universities In Meme Collection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 11:06am On Feb 21, 2018
#deprofsat
#deprof
#sat prep tutor, lagos

SAT TUTORIAL, Lagos, Nigeria.

Below is a 'relay' of the WhatsApp posts of a popular Lagos-based SAT tutor during a WhatsApp class he had with one of his students.
The lesson was on the best strategies for tackling the SAT Reading Test.
The student's responses ain't posted here.
If you are interested in having such online classes or private/home tutorials in preparation for exams such as the SAT(1 & 2), IGCSE, Checkpoint, SSCE(WAEC & NECO), UTME(JAMB), Common Entrance exams into prestigious secondary schools, etc, contact Teacher Femi (DeProf) of the Be-Noble Home School, Lagos on 08168974531.
Thank you.

SAT LESSON. SAT TUTORS. SAT HOME LESSON.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 11:08am On Feb 21, 2018
Now, let's start the SAT English class on WhatsApp.
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 11:09am On Feb 21, 2018
........... I like you to know that *the higher your English vocabulary prowess, the better you will do in both the Reading and Writing tests of the SAT.*
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 11:15am On Feb 21, 2018
privatetisa:
........... I like you to know that *the higher your English vocabulary prowess, the better you will do in both the Reading and Writing tests of the SAT.*

So, later on I'll test your vocabulary prowess, determine your level and work on it accordingly.
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 11:16am On Feb 21, 2018
Vocabulary prowess here refers to how many English words you know their *meanings, synonyms, antoynms and the things they can imply either directly or indirectly.*
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 11:18am On Feb 21, 2018
........ you have to *know that your answer to each question, especially for the Reading test, is right there in the passage.*
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 11:22am On Feb 21, 2018
Now, let me tell you how to easily locate your answer in an SAT Reading test.
The option that says exactly the same thing as what you have in the relevant portion of the passage is the correct answer. And there is only one such answer choice or option per question. No matter how any of the other choices seem to be correct, it is actually faulty. It is faulty either because it has said more than what you have in the relevant portion of the passage or because it has said less.
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 11:25am On Feb 21, 2018
privatetisa:
Now, let me tell you how to easily locate your answer in an SAT Reading test.
The option that says exactly the same thing as what you have in the relevant portion of the passage is the correct answer. And there is only one such answer choice or option per question. No matter how any of the other choices seem to be correct, it is actually faulty. It is faulty either because it has said more than what you have in the relevant portion of the passage or because it has said less.

Believe me this is a very powerful secret for tackling the SAT Reading test successfully. I have just given it out free of any charge.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 11:28am On Feb 21, 2018
But one tricky thing about the correct answers is that the examiners hardly present them in 'direct' words'. They will rather use synonyms or 'implied words' to the words used in the passage.
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 11:39am On Feb 21, 2018
The words used in the passages are the 'direct' words. But they won't present the correct answers using those 'direct' words. They will use their 'nearest in meaning' or what I call their 'implied' words.
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 11:40am On Feb 21, 2018
When tackling the Reading test, I always advise my students to begin with the 'Command of Evidence' or 'COE' questions. They are easily identified. I'll tell you more about them later on.
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 11:42am On Feb 21, 2018
Now, let's start with questions 4 and 5 of the Reading test of the Practice Test 5 that you have ......
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 11:42am On Feb 21, 2018
You are going to use question 5 to answer question 4.
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 12:03pm On Feb 21, 2018
privatetisa:

This is yet another very useful strategy for doing very well in the Reading section of the SAT test. It has been very effective for almost all our students at the Be-Noble Home School preparing for the SAT. You will hardly see any other tutor that teaches this strategy.
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 12:04pm On Feb 21, 2018
Read question 4.
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 12:05pm On Feb 21, 2018
The main word in that question is _what_?
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 12:06pm On Feb 21, 2018
Did you say impression?
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 12:11pm On Feb 21, 2018
Good! If you did.
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 12:30pm On Feb 21, 2018
The word 'impression' in question 4 implies that the person or people or thing called "the party of four" 'touched' or 'effected' the mind of the person called Lymie. And he or she had certain thoughts about the "party of four".
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 12:31pm On Feb 21, 2018
If you don't know the meaning of 'impression', it may be difficult for you to *really understand what the question wants you to find in the passage.*
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 12:31pm On Feb 21, 2018
Now, read the four quotations in question 5.
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 12:32pm On Feb 21, 2018
In which of them can you *truly see* one of the options in question 4?
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 12:34pm On Feb 21, 2018
privatetisa:
In which of them can you *truly see* one of the options question 4?

In other words, which one has a word in it that means or implies "impression"? And that also has synonyms of words used in the quotation or their implied words?
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 12:37pm On Feb 21, 2018
If you are able to deduce this correctly, you would have answered questions 4 and 5 correctly at the same time.
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 12:39pm On Feb 21, 2018
privatetisa:

privatetisa:
If you are able to deduce this correctly, you would have answered questions 4 and 5 correctly at the same time.

Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 12:51pm On Feb 21, 2018
*Don't forget that 'Lymie's mind must be affected': he must be 'impressed upon'. That is, he must have an impression.
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 12:54pm On Feb 21, 2018
Look at option B:

"One of the women had the face of a young boy ........... matter of fact she was."
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 12:56pm On Feb 21, 2018
Is Lymie's mind being affected or impressed upon here? In fact, is there any word that means or imples "impressed upon or affected" in that quotation?
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 12:57pm On Feb 21, 2018
privatetisa:
Is Lymie's mind being affected or impressed upon here? In fact, is there any word that means or imples "impressed upon or affected" in that quotation?

Obviously, the answer is NO.
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 12:59pm On Feb 21, 2018
Now look at option D: "Lymie closed the book."
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 1:00pm On Feb 21, 2018
How was he impressed upon here?
Re: A Typical Whatsapp Tutorial With A Student Preparing For The Next Sat Exam by privatetisa(m): 1:19pm On Feb 21, 2018
Am I correct to say that I believe you will agree with me that nothing in that quotation says that Lymie had an impression. Instead of something or someone "impressing upon or affecting or acting on Lymie" in any way, he was the one that acted upon something.

(1) (2) (Reply)

UNILAG DISTANCE LEARNING INSTITUTE FAQ! - 09082964145 / SS1 Catering And Craft Practice 1st Term Lesson Notes; Evaluation Tests / What Can I Do With This Course After School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.