Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,784 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:53 PM

Exposed!!! 4 Reasons You Won’t Get A Job This Year - Topwritersden - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Exposed!!! 4 Reasons You Won’t Get A Job This Year - Topwritersden (731 Views)

I Really Need A Job This ASUU Strike / DESPERATE FOR A JOB THIS JANUARY? / COVID-19: Did You Lose Your Job? This Post Will Show You How To Land Another One (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Exposed!!! 4 Reasons You Won’t Get A Job This Year - Topwritersden by BiafranBushBoy: 11:47am On Feb 23, 2018
Hey graduate, you are wondering why you are yet to get a job in Nigeria so far right? This topic is going to address it, and also give you possible solutions to your issues. I currently operate 2 jobs simultaneously and believe me that content writing is making it the third.

I will tell you a brief story: 3 years back I finished from service and I wandered through the streets of Ibadan looking helpless. What else could I do to get a job right now? I would always ask myself. I decided to go teach in the secondary school where I taught part-time, and they willing accepted me – after all I would be paid 17k for a month.

I financed my housing already with a little help from my parents, so I was safe for the next one year. I continued teaching and being a good teacher to my students, we were even owed despite the small amount of cash paid to us.

“Something has to change” I screamed one night. Whatever changed was the beginning of my good stories. “What should I learn that would make the whole difference in my life?” I asked myself.

I knew I was a good talker, so I decided to become a sales consultant despite my Engineering background. First thing I did was to attend a professional sales training, and I was awarded a certificate after the training – which I added to my CV almost immediately.

Few months down that line, I applied for a job in Lagos and I was employed with a salary above 50k – I knew nobody.

It was an IT firm and so I kept working hard. Along the line, I discovered that our IT guys were paid 2x the amount paid to us. Whatever the reason for that, I wanted to earn high too…I picked up an IT skill and learnt it in and out.

And this was where it started from. I now move from job to job, according to whoever has a higher pay – No loyalty to anyone!

What happened?

I won’t tell you, but I will show you 5 major reasons why you won’t get a job in Nigeria yet

1) No Connection

As a Sales Consultant, I have learnt that you might have friends, but none of them will buy your product. The reason is that you haven’t given them a good reason to buy.

You may know several influential people, but they won’t give you a job because you haven’t asked and told them why you need a job. People closer to me once a vacancy which I have influence over pops up, I fix them there – qualified or not.

If you are at home waiting for a miracle to fall from heaven, you might be dreaming. You better pick up your phone and make those calls to influential people you know or people you know know. Anyone of them is good for you.

2) You Have No Value to Offer

Funny when I see people who are hoping that skills like

- Working under pressure
- Ability to work as a team
- Analytical and Numerical skill, etc would give them a job. It rarely gives jobs and might never just be enough to land you a well-paying job.

You have to have something of value to bring to the table. Examples of such could include;

- Propelling brand visibility, corporate growth strategies, high-level marketing initiatives to stimulate revenue growth and outperform defined objectives for Online Wisdom Limited
- Advanced use of excel sheet to create and tabulate data…

Research has shown that a skill like learning Advanced Excel covers for virtually everyone with a degree. Advanced Excel is one skill that companies are looking out for in the CVs of candidates, not you being able to work as a team or under supervision (you can check up more about Advanced Excel).

You have no definite Goal

If you ask a majority of graduates what career they want to build, they would end up given you with 4 options. Why should you be confused at this stage of your life? Don’t you intend to get a job? This post would help direct you and help you achieve your goals in life easily.

You can have various skills, but not knowing a career path shouldn’t be found in your life at all. You should have a goal of what you intend to achieve, the career you wish to undertake, and the necessary things you need to do to equip yourself with the skills needed.

That is the reason lawyers attend law school after 6 years in the university – they specialize. If your course doesn’t have professional courses like ACCA, ICAN, pick up a skill that is relevant to your career and learn it!

Never Learning

Two years after graduating from school without a job, your CV still looks just like after you left school. You believe that you don’t need to learn anything else aside what you have been taught at school. I hope you really need to get a job.

Do you know that companies spend millions training their staff every year – despite they have the job already? I wonder what happens to you without a job, how do you intend to get a job?

2 out of 10 people might disprove the above ideas, but is 2 in 10 a majority?

Stand up, Dust yourself and work on yourself.

I will leave you with this quote: “I work on myself all the time; even if I don’t get paid, but this is the best job that gives me the best job.”

After reading, visit the blog and subscribe to get more of posts like this. I wish you all the best, we must succeed.

Source: http://topwritersden.com/reasons-get-a-job/
Re: Exposed!!! 4 Reasons You Won’t Get A Job This Year - Topwritersden by AlienRobot: 11:58am On Feb 23, 2018
Generalizing as usual
Re: Exposed!!! 4 Reasons You Won’t Get A Job This Year - Topwritersden by BiafranBushBoy: 11:59am On Feb 23, 2018
AlienRobot:
Generalizing as usual

explain a bit Sir. So that other will learn...

lalasticlala
Re: Exposed!!! 4 Reasons You Won’t Get A Job This Year - Topwritersden by HeyCorleone(m): 12:04pm On Feb 23, 2018
AlienRobot:
Generalizing as usual
Exactly.
He don't know that when you generalise, you tell general lies.

2 Likes

Re: Exposed!!! 4 Reasons You Won’t Get A Job This Year - Topwritersden by maxwell767(m): 12:39pm On Feb 23, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: Exposed!!! 4 Reasons You Won’t Get A Job This Year - Topwritersden by maxwell767(m): 12:40pm On Feb 23, 2018
HeyCorleone:

Exactly.

He don't know that when you generalise, you tell general lies.

cheesy cheesy cheesy this ur comment shaaaa...

(1) (Reply)

Jobs In Uyo / Employment Vacancy / Current Vacancies At Julius Berger Nigeria Plc, 11th June, 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.