Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,754 members, 7,817,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS (13942 Views)

Allow Buhari, Governors For Third Term - Oko Enya Tells NASS, Attorney-General / Why Mass Defection Of Lawmakers At NASS Is Illegal – Falana / Senate Suspends Senator Ovie Omo-Agege For 90 Days Over Election Reordering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by agabusta: 6:13pm On Feb 24, 2018
nonut:
I thought NASS makes laws? Am I missing something?

Sunnyja:
All these charge and bail lawyers sef.

The lawyer is right. The constitution is a unique set of laws.

Every other law made by the NASS if it is in contradiction with constitutional provisions is null and void. Except that portion of the constitution is also amended.

2 Likes

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by hollywater: 6:14pm On Feb 24, 2018
This Falana own is becoming too much.Where is he when people are being denied of their rights?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by agabusta: 6:15pm On Feb 24, 2018
Tonason:

This man is confused fellow, he is myopic lawyer.

You seem to be the myopic one here. did you read the points he advanced?

1 Like

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by agabusta: 6:18pm On Feb 24, 2018
Xisnin:
You are wrong Falana, our senators can change any law.

You seem to be forgetting that the person talking here is a Senior Advocate of Nigeria that has practiced law for decades. And has argued hundreds of cases at all levels of our judiciary.

Yes the NASS can change any law, but they cannot enact a law that contradicts the constitution.

In this case, they need to first amend the constitution before enacting such a law. Its very simple. The constitution is the supreme law that supersedes every other law.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by arote(m): 6:20pm On Feb 24, 2018
Reading through some comments here,its really appalling some can't even think before typing. This is about the law and someone of Mr falana's caliber is talking about it as enshrined in the constitution. How do you learn? And these are the future of Nigeria?

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by agabusta: 6:26pm On Feb 24, 2018
sapientia:
Na wa oooo

See what a SAN is saying.. cant say am not disappointed.

NASS represents the people and take decicions on behalf of the people including making laws.

When they make anti-people Laws, you guys dont talk but have found your voice cos it threatens the continued stay of una role model failure.

Good thing about democracy is that in the end, the wish of the people portrayed by the NASS will be upheld by the court.

All legal loop holes have been covered. Falana is simply crying wolf.

This is laughable. NASS represents the people, but they cannot make laws that contradicts the constitution, except they first amend such portion of the constitution.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by Gucciboss: 6:45pm On Feb 24, 2018
freshboi88:

The judiciary has the final say oga...they CNT just change NY law....d supreme court is the final say

The law guiding supreme Court can be changed by the legislative arm of government too.
Remember that they have the power to amend the constitution.

Legislature is a very powerful arm of government in ideal democracy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by freshboi88: 6:49pm On Feb 24, 2018
Gucciboss:

The law guiding supreme Court can be changed by the legislative arm of government too.
Remember that they have the power to amend the constitution.

Legislature is a very powerful arm of government in ideal democracy.

Yeah it is but an almost impossible task cos it will have to involve 36 houses of assembly, both upper n lower chambers of the nass......2/3 majority....

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by Gucciboss: 6:53pm On Feb 24, 2018
freshboi88:

Yeah it is but an almost impossible task cos it will have to involve 36 houses of assembly, both upper n lower chambers of the nass......2/3 majority....

I'm only arguing Legislature vs judiciary vs executive.
I'm not talking about internal crisis in legislative arm. As long as democracy is concerned, legislative arm has no rival. They can do and undo.(of course only when they are in unity)

The case here is more of executive vs Legislature. I'm not delving into their individual's internal dynamics.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by surgical: 7:07pm On Feb 24, 2018
chrisxxx:
Falana has found his lost voice. Buhari is selling fuel above official pump price where is Falana to say something he was nowhere. Buhari attacked Nnamdi Kanu via his army that are only powerful when the culprits are southerners in a democracy where was Falana?
Animals have been personified and have been stealing millions Falana has said nothing.
Now the Senate is about giving Nigerians chance for once to vote their leaders Falana has found his voice.
Falana no doubt has become anti-Nigerians.
what do you expect when he is buying cheap houses from EFCC.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by abimic(m): 7:07pm On Feb 24, 2018
If the NASS are disgruntled with the election timetable, they should just amend the law such that power to prepare election timetable is given to themselves than enter power of wit with INEC. Their interest is what they're after. Nothing can change the timetable, so long sagay that knows the law is there, not these illiterates claiming to know law.

2 Likes

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by sapientia(m): 7:13pm On Feb 24, 2018
agabusta:

This is laughable. NASS represents the people, but they cannot make laws that contradicts the constitution, except they first amend such portion of the constitution.

Quote the complete law that have been contradicted please..

Let everyone see and know if its true.. you might have thought NASS is daft like Buhari.

Only the Court will decide if the power to alter dates is reserved for INEC alone which i can inform you that its not possible.

INEC cannot be given such powers. Let them stick to whatever the electoral Act stipulates.. shekina.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by Olumaeme: 7:19pm On Feb 24, 2018
sammyj:
shocked In as much as I don’t want PMB to emerge or contest in the next election, the NA should just focuse on law making and let INEC do their constitutional duties on election matters. Likewise let INEC also focuse on how to conduct credible elections devoid of electoral fraud just like what happened in the last Kanu election where children participated in the election. Shikena!! cool

Part of National Assembly's duty is to make laws that INEC will obey

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by Olumaeme: 7:21pm On Feb 24, 2018
I can never take this Falana seriously, National Assembly can edit, delete, create any law at any time they deem fit...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by milliondollas(m): 7:34pm On Feb 24, 2018
falana is a disgrace to this country

2 Likes

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by rottennaija(m): 7:50pm On Feb 24, 2018
sammyj:
shocked In as much as I don’t want PMB to emerge or contest in the next election, the NA should just focuse on law making and let INEC do their constitutional duties on election matters. Likewise let INEC also focuse on how to conduct credible elections devoid of electoral fraud just like what happened in the last Kanu election where children participated in the election. Shikena!! cool

Yes, I agree with you on this. But how do you think it's possible for INEC to focus when the NASS are busy distracting them?

2 Likes

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by rottennaija(m): 7:52pm On Feb 24, 2018
Xisnin:

First thing first is to include that part that says they can change any law in the constitution to enable them change any law. Then they can change any law.

3 Likes

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by rottennaija(m): 7:55pm On Feb 24, 2018
sapientia:
Na wa oooo

See what a SAN is saying.. cant say am not disappointed.

NASS represents the people and take decicions on behalf of the people including making laws.

When they make anti-people Laws, you guys dont talk but have found your voice cos it threatens the continued stay of una role model failure.

Good thing about democracy is that in the end, the wish of the people portrayed by the NASS will be upheld by the court.

All legal loop holes have been covered. Falana is simply crying wolf.

Sorry, don't allow any to deceive you. The court of law upholds the constitution, first of all before any law.

1 Like

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by ediscuss: 8:09pm On Feb 24, 2018
He should tell us what is legal in this country instead of telling us what is illegal.

People with plenty talk self......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by adanny01(m): 8:16pm On Feb 24, 2018
Xisnin:

No, you are absolutely wrong.

National Assembly cannot change the constitution. They can only amend or create new laws (in other words, add). This has a limit as there are things they cannot do only by themselves.

To amend the constitution requires 2/3 majority in Senate, House of reps, all 36 Houses of assembly and all 774 local government councils. That is why no new LG of state can be created by the National assembly. That is why the independence of INEC cannot be tampered with, it is their right. It would have been better for NA to advise INEC rather than compel them.

Any law asking them to obey a certain decision is no law as it contravenes the constitutional independence granted to them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by mema900: 8:37pm On Feb 24, 2018
I thought this man has sense before
Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by adanny01(m): 8:37pm On Feb 24, 2018
Olumaeme:
I can never take this Falana seriously, National Assembly can edit, delete, create any law at any time they deem fit...

If thats what you think, the NA can delete or create a state. Unfortunately, they dont have such powers.

Anything NA does that contravenes the constitution is null and void. They can add but cant subtract.

When constitution grants INEC independence, the power to add has been denied them. The independence is from the Executive, legislature and judiciary. Only the judiciary has some powers over inec with regards to INEC contravening other laws of the land. They are only to do their job within the laws of the country.

The constitution grants governors and president immunity, NA cannot remove it but can add more immunity clauses that must not remove anything that is there already.

When the constitution says i am free to live any where in Nigeria, NA cannot amend it to say i cant live in Enugu. They may only add a condition say i must have a valid Nigerian ID card to live in Enugu.

3 Likes

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by Emmahunk(m): 8:40pm On Feb 24, 2018
Yes, you are missing something. Read through again about the case already decided by Supreme Court and the provisions of the Constitution

“It is the height of legislative absurdity to say that the power donated to INEC by the constitution shall be exercised in accordance with the provision of an interior legislation. In Attorney-General, Abia State v. Attorney-General of the Federation (2002) 1 WRN 1 at 45, Kutigi CJN (as he then was) held that ‘where the provision in the Act is within the legislative powers of the National Assembly but the constitution is found to have already made the same or similar provision, then the new provision will be regarded as invalid for duplication and/or inconsistency and therefore inoperative.’
quote author=nonut post=65339716]I thought NASS makes laws? Am I missing something? [/quote]

2 Likes

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by adanny01(m): 8:46pm On Feb 24, 2018
Gucciboss:

I'm only arguing Legislature vs judiciary vs executive.
I'm not talking about internal crisis in legislative arm. As long as democracy is concerned, legislative arm has no rival. They can do and undo.(of course only when they are in unity)

The case here is more of executive vs Legislature. I'm not delving into their individual's internal dynamics.

nonut:

They cant undo the constitution.

They can do anything, except the constitution.

Eg, they can make a law saying all new born babies should be killed.

This law will be invalid because right to life is in the constitution so they cannot remove it.

Their laws must not contradict anything in the constitution.

I hope you get the point

2 Likes

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by Yusman316(m): 9:06pm On Feb 24, 2018
nonut:
The problem here is they re not really changing any law. Rather they re trying to change an act of the law which in itself will go against that law.The law says the power to set election time table lies with inec and not any other body. If they can change electoral time table, then what is job of inec?

1 Like

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by rajiraymond(m): 9:10pm On Feb 24, 2018
nonut:

Yes, you are very correct.

But remember that INEC is an independent body that is not suppose to be controled by executive or legislative body according the law.

NASS can only achieve this reordering if the INEC constitutional law and right is amended and this is a very long process.

1 Like

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by Olumaeme: 9:24pm On Feb 24, 2018
adanny01:

If thats what you think, the NA can delete or create a state. Unfortunately, they dont have such powers.

Anything NA does that contravenes the constitution is null and void. They can add but cant subtract.

When constitution grants INEC independence, the power to add has been denied them. The independence is from the Executive, legislature and judiciary. Only the judiciary has some powers over inec with regards to INEC contravening other laws of the land. They are only to do their job within the laws of the country.

The constitution grants governors and president immunity, NA cannot remove it but can add more immunity clauses that must not remove anything that is there already.

When the constitution says i am free to live any where in Nigeria, NA cannot amend it to say i cant live in Enugu. They may only add a condition say i must have a valid Nigerian ID card to live in Enugu.

Then why did Inec send their budget to the national Assembly? Why do they approach the National assembly to back the use of card readers then?

The constitution can be amended by National Assembly only that its needs 2/3 of the state assemblies in some places...

The national Assembly is made up of the people's representatives, who owns the constitution? Who will use the constitution? The people.... And the National Assembly represents them...

And Yes, they can decide to deny you the freedom of living anywhere in Nigeria, only that they need state assemblies to pass it.

National Assembly is very powerful, maybe you don't know..

As i said, they can edit, delete and create law whenever they deem fit, only that T&Cs may apply in some cases...
Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by Kingspin(m): 9:36pm On Feb 24, 2018
Did they stop election?
Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by Torylanez(m): 9:44pm On Feb 24, 2018
agabusta:

But wait, let us even analyse the whole scenario. How will INEC making Buhari's election to come first be to (him) Buhari's advantage?? I really dont understand how. Can you please break it down?

In my own opinion, the change in the sequence to make his election come last is what is actually in his advantage. Because from the outcome of the other elections, he would have already noted the voting pattern of the electorate, he will then know how to react/respond to his own coming election.

If the voting pattern is not in favour of his party, he'll already know that he may lose and so will be more desperate and also deploy all available resources to make it a fight to finish.

but that's how the elections has always been even the last 2015 elections was like that

since 1999 it has always been presidential elections first

oh so because it's buhari time now they should change it?

it's witch hunting the executive

1 Like

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by Firstpage: 10:12pm On Feb 24, 2018
Seun has allowed nairaland go to the dogs.

An erudite lawyer makes a submission with constitutional backings and all what illiterates who has not seen the four walls of any institutions of learning would do is call him fool and unprintable news without any counter argument whatsoever and they allow such comments go through without banning the degenerate fools.

Common sense should tell any reasonable homo sapien that an "independent" body like INEC shouldn't be dictated to on how to organise its elections. While they have the power to alter the certain laws guiding the INEC, they should know their limit.

The senators are pushing their luck too far. They should understand separation of power and stop going on a wild goose chase because their action cannot stand in the supreme court.

2 Likes

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by Firstpage: 10:16pm On Feb 24, 2018
sapientia:

Quote the complete law that have been contradicted please..

Let everyone see and know if its true.. you might have thought NASS is daft like Buhari.

Only the Court will decide if the power to alter dates is reserved for INEC alone which i can inform you that its not possible.

INEC cannot be given such powers. Let them stick to whatever the electoral Act stipulates.. shekina.

Do you know the meaning of independent in the name of INEC?

So the lawmakers would be the ones to set timetables for elections all over the federation?

And you call buhari daft? Who is your "intelligent" father that gave birth to a fool like you?

1 Like

Re: 2019: Reordering Of Election Illegal - Falana Tells NASS by Firstpage: 10:21pm On Feb 24, 2018
milliondollas:
falana is a disgrace to this country

And you are a disgrace to your generation. A man cited several constitutional provisions and judgement to back up his claim and an educated fool like you comes with a one liner just to abuse someone you can never measure up to.

Political and tribal hatred shouldn't make you this daft.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tinubu Should Retire From Politics – Arewa Forum / 20 Power Plants Suffer Major Problems, Blackouts To Worsen / Owerri: The Most Modern City In Southeast_pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.