Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,641 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

How Yar’adua Picked Jonathan As Running Mate, By Ali - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Yar’adua Picked Jonathan As Running Mate, By Ali (36017 Views)

I Am Father To All Bayelsans - Jonathan As Sylva, Lyon Visit / Nigerians React As Atiku Picks Peter Obi As Running Mate / Goodluck Jonathan As Election Observer In Liberia (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Yar’adua Picked Jonathan As Running Mate, By Ali by Deadlytruth(m): 2:25pm On Feb 25, 2018
kenoyad:
Umar Yar adua, a president with good ideas and plan e. g PIB, AMNESTY etc to move Nigeria forward but ailment and cold hand of death never allowed. May his gentle soul continue to rest in perfect peace!

Please recall that the Amnesty was an afterthought on Yaradua's part after his order of massacre in Gbaramatu and Oporoza began to boomerangs in the form of Niger Delta Militants' reprisal attacks on oil installations which within two weeks cut output by over 75℅ thus causing an unmanageable hemorrhage of the economy.
The Amnesty offer was itself a contingency approach to the Niger Delta unrest as it circumvented the fundamental ideals of the struggle as spelt out by the very pioneers in the persons of Isaac Adaka Boro and Ken Saro Wiwa. Neither of these two asked, on behalf of Niger Delta youths, for stipends which total amount constitutes a negligible fraction of the value of wealth that has continuously been stolen from the region by the alien ruling class which the entire Yaradua family belonged to. Rather they fought and died for resource control which would place their God given wealth under their control as obtains in saner climes.
So giving credit to a man for putting in place an amnesty policy which redefined and reclassified freedom fighters as criminals deserving pardon from the very establishment that had oppressed, repressed, brutalized, massacred and milked them dry is nothing other than political correctness.

2 Likes

Re: How Yar’adua Picked Jonathan As Running Mate, By Ali by BluntBoy(m): 2:26pm On Feb 25, 2018
shocked

So it was Yar'Adua's handiwork shocked He was the one to hoisted a buffoon on us.

I don't blame him, though. He must have thought that GEJ was responsible. He should have known better.
Re: How Yar’adua Picked Jonathan As Running Mate, By Ali by oliidell(m): 2:42pm On Feb 25, 2018
Bottom line:

Two good men who were not even interested and thus not prepared for the highest office.

Passion is a vital ingredient for success.
Re: How Yar’adua Picked Jonathan As Running Mate, By Ali by VULCAN(m): 3:17pm On Feb 25, 2018
What a shame you cannot read between the lines.

After Ali went home to sleep, OBJ called Jonathan and Yaradua(separately) and told them to get ready to take over.

Ali was in the dark about this and the other 3 gentlemen just acted out a script for him to watch.

contigiency:
But it was being said that it was obasanjo that handpicked both of them. In fact that obasanjo knows about yaradua's ill health that was why he preferred him ahead of other governors. And that he also imposed GEJ as VP because of Jonathan's political nativity so that should Jonathan eventually ascends the office of the president, he obasanjo will be able to control the leadership. Well, Nigerian press and misinformation are like 5 and 6.

1 Like

Re: How Yar’adua Picked Jonathan As Running Mate, By Ali by VULCAN(m): 3:44pm On Feb 25, 2018
You have put up a very strong attempt to deconstruct Yaradua. Your facts appear to be sound but your conclusions are basically naive. I would recommend that you go study award winning biographies of any 5 major world leaders, whether living or dead. What you will discover is that ALL of them did things at one time or the other that were either morally repugnant, politically disappointing or economically disastrous. To think that running a country exerts the same mental or emotional pressures as being a Sunday school teacher is a sign of delirium. With the mindset you currently have, If you become President of Nigeria tomorrow you will be unable to cope with the terrible compromises that the office demands. Brother, it's not a walk in the park especially when you are in a bastardized system as we have in this country.

Yaradua was a good man struggling against a broken system

Deadlytruth:

Please recall that the Amnesty was an afterthought on Yaradua's part after his order of massacre in Gbaramatu and Oporoza began to boomerangs in the form of Niger Delta Militants' reprisal attacks on oil installations which within two weeks cut output by over 75℅ thus causing an unmanageable hemorrhage of the economy.
The Amnesty offer was itself a contingency approach to the Niger Delta unrest as it circumvented the fundamental ideals of the struggle as spelt out by the very pioneers in the persons of Isaac Adaka Boro and Ken Saro Wiwa. Neither of these two asked, on behalf of Niger Delta youths, for stipends which total amount constitutes a negligible fraction of the value of wealth that has continuously been stolen from the region by the alien ruling class which the entire Yaradua family belonged to. Rather they fought and died for resource control which would place their God given wealth under their control as obtains in saner climes.
So giving credit to a man for putting in place an amnesty policy which redefined and reclassified freedom fighters as criminals deserving pardon from the very establishment that had oppressed, repressed, brutalized, massacred and milked them dry is nothing other than political correctness.
Re: How Yar’adua Picked Jonathan As Running Mate, By Ali by ifrosh: 3:56pm On Feb 25, 2018
The second picture tho,see as goodluck dark biko he no black he dark.
Re: How Yar’adua Picked Jonathan As Running Mate, By Ali by RexEmmyGee: 4:07pm On Feb 25, 2018
modelmike7:

.........ever heard of sitting on a TIME BOMB?!
Yeah . What your point
Re: How Yar’adua Picked Jonathan As Running Mate, By Ali by AreaFada2: 4:35pm On Feb 25, 2018
contigiency:
But it was being said that it was obasanjo that handpicked both of them. In fact that obasanjo knows about yaradua's ill health that was why he preferred him ahead of other governors. And that he also imposed GEJ as VP because of Jonathan's political nativity so that should Jonathan eventually ascends the office of the president, he obasanjo will be able to control the leadership. Well, Nigerian press and misinformation are like 5 and 6.

It ia actually true. OBJ had control of intelligence service so knowing of Yar'Adua's health problem was easy as cake.

Odili & Yar'Adua were both members of governors forum. So Yar'Adua would have known of his domineering attitude and relative flamboyance.

OBJ having just survived the machinations of VP Atiku knew that the worst thing a president needs is a very wealthy, cunning & ambitious VP.

He probably asked Yar'Adua who he really wanted one-on-one. Or advised him about the kind of VP he should pick. He might have advised him that picking an Ijaw would help him assuage MEND/militants compared to an Ikwerre man. OBJ knows the Southern dynamics far better. All along OBJ kept his card close to his chest. cheesy grin

Anyway you see it, OBJ managed to play a fast one on Ali.
Re: How Yar’adua Picked Jonathan As Running Mate, By Ali by wingmanII: 4:37pm On Feb 25, 2018
MyPWisINCORRECT:
If Odili had been VP

PDP would have been in power till date

South-South would have been the political power house

APC wouldn't have existed

Tinubu would have been on exile

Lagos by now would have been a PDP state

The entire South-West would have been PDP

Some statesmen would have disappeared for good

Maybe, Buhari would have been in Daura since 2007

In turn, herdsmen would have advised themselves to build ranches

Shekau's surbodinates would have been the ones hunting him down after receiving Ghana-must-go, not the Army

In Odili's political dictionary, the word "opposition" DOES NOT EXIST

Very true. Odili, Donald Duke and Ibori are very ruthless politicians. It is a pity none of them became president, the political equation would have been quite different today.
Re: How Yar’adua Picked Jonathan As Running Mate, By Ali by burakado17: 5:35pm On Feb 25, 2018
Look at the way few people sat down and determined the fate of Nigeria and Nigerians. We pray that they will end their life in the lions dens.
Re: How Yar’adua Picked Jonathan As Running Mate, By Ali by Caseless: 6:02pm On Feb 25, 2018
modelmike7:
Explanations not needed anymore!

Yar'adua: One of the few good men the country ever had.

Jonathan: The Clueless, Lazy, Weak man that presided over hundreds of thieves, robbers and scam artists and watched how they plunder the resources and wealth of the so call GIANT OF AFRICA!

The clueless man told them of "no clue" before he was forced to accept.

“Well”, he began tentatively, “If I had a choice, I would prefer to remain as governor. I know the job. I know where I stopped. But this VP…I don’t know what it entails.” After a look of disapproval from the chairman and the president, he added quickly, “but if you want me to serve in that position, I accept.”

you see am?

I missed yaradua.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Yar’adua Picked Jonathan As Running Mate, By Ali by DrMuzungu(m): 9:34pm On Feb 25, 2018
I personally met 3 Nigerian presidents, and Yar'adua just weeks before he became a president. Others were nice (or pretending to be at least, when people are watching, I don't know), but late Yar'adua was the only one giving the impression of one humble and honorable man. Just the necessary security, soft-spoken, not once he has raised voice even when things were not going the way he liked.
Re: How Yar’adua Picked Jonathan As Running Mate, By Ali by DONADAMS(m): 12:10am On Feb 26, 2018
Deadlytruth:

I disagree with you.
Yaradua was not really too different from Obasanjo and Jonathan. His sickness imposed gentile appearance created the wrong perception in most Nigerians that he was a good man. Had anything happened to take Jonathan out of power just few days after he sacked Aondoakaa, visited the victims of bomb blast in the hospital, and declared that his ambition was not worth anyone's life; we also would have by now believed that he was just the Messiah we never had.
Come to think of it;
This same Yaradua rejected the two key recommendations of Uwais Electoral Reform Panel report which would have permanently put paid to election incredibility that has plagued the country from 1960. The same Yaradua overruled Charles Soludo's Naira redenomination project which would have in no small measure restored the value of our currency and stimulated economic development. It was Yaradua still who, like OBJ ordered the massacre of innocent women and children in Gbaramatu and Oporoza all in the name of smoking out militants - one of whom was never caught. After revealing the massive corruption his godfather, OBJ, perpetrated through phantom power sector reforms, he could however not send EFCC after him. The same Yaradua had Ibori always around him despite how strongly the later was smelling of corruption and sleaze.
The same Yaradua would in his second year in office appoint Tony Anenih, a corruption gold medal contestant against Obasanjo, as his campaign manager for second term ambition which death cut short.

I can go on and on. There was nothing spectacular about Yaradua's administration to warrant all these fondness for him. The typical Nigerian just doesn't speak ill of the dead.
If OBJ, GEJ, IBB, Buhari, and any of the past rulers still alive dies today the manner by which Nigerians will speak good of them at their funerals will leave one trying to figure out whether these rulers are not the same as the persons currently being cursed daily for their roles in bringing the country to this sorry state.
oga ,,you have spoken well and you may be right...buh give him credit..he's one of the best president to rule this country sentiment aside...he wasn't a bigot...I remember then when my father was in the military.. this man increased the pay of a new recruits from about 12k to 30k and to now 48k and saw to it personally that it wasn't shortened by those general and also paid allowances upon allowances to them... it's the salary that attracts people to the army cos of unemployment despite our waring situation.. he also reduced pump price of PMS...there was relative peace then... low crime rate et all.. your last paragraph...when abacha died we celebrated..
Re: How Yar’adua Picked Jonathan As Running Mate, By Ali by Deadlytruth(m): 9:14am On Feb 26, 2018
VULCAN:
You have put up a very strong attempt to deconstruct Yaradua. Your facts appear to be sound but your conclusions are basically naive. I would recommend that you go study award winning biographies of any 5 major world leaders, whether living or dead. What you will discover is that ALL of them did things at one time or the other that were either morally repugnant, politically disappointing or economically disastrous. To think that running a country exerts the same mental or emotional pressures as being a Sunday school teacher is a sign of delirium. With the mindset you currently have, If you become President of Nigeria tomorrow you will be unable to cope with the terrible compromises that the office demands. Brother, it's not a walk in the park especially when you are in a bastardized system as we have in this country.

Yaradua was a good man struggling against a broken system

First and foremost your theory of compromise is not really relevant to this issue. Compromise is a thing demanded of the freedom fighter and not of the oppressor entity. A sitting president has all the executive powers to correct a social injustice if he is really genuinely committed to democratic ideals.
On whose behalf was Yaradua supposed to 'compromise' by way of giving amnesty to the militants? This obviously suggests that a refusal on his part to 'compromise' would have hurt those who have been milking the Niger Delta dry, thus his compromise was a way to preserve their access to the oil wealth which they have stolen for years.
The spirit of "compromise" is exactly what caused the broken state of Nigeria system.
Had Abraham Lincoln compromised on his rather unpopular anti-slave ownership stance on getting to power, America would likely not have lasted too long as an intact nation afterwards let alone becoming the world's best example of what genuine nation building entails. Abraham Lincoln's anti-slavery philosophy initially sounded like a Sunday school exercise to compromise-peddling cynics back then in the US until it came to fruition through his uncompromising doggedness.
As for the peace awards, yes the winners so far might be guilty of havocs and blunders at some point, but such blunders were committed by them in the genuine quest to address the fundamental causes of the problems rather than just treat symptoms. Yaradua treated symptoms and never attempted to address the root causal factors of the Niger Delta unrest. Had he, without naming it amnesty, just offered to calm the Niger Delta Militants with that monetary offer so as to engender the needed peaceful atmosphere to examine the fundamental cause of the problems and execute the recommended solutions, then you would have had a point.
Re: How Yar’adua Picked Jonathan As Running Mate, By Ali by aycorporat(m): 1:39pm On Feb 26, 2018
Anijay1212:
cheesy grin sad
Mr former chairman see as Obj use your head.
He sent you home, tells Yaradua who to choose, calls you back and Yaradua looking uncomfortable mentions Goodluck. Abeg Obj and homework dey like 5 and 6.
Bro this your fast thinking na real super computer tech. you really grab the situation. Na so
Re: How Yar’adua Picked Jonathan As Running Mate, By Ali by kayusely70(m): 12:23pm On Oct 28, 2019
Odili should have been picked

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Olajumoke Awosika: I Will Return To My N20m Farm If I Get Licence To Use Guns / Gov Dickson Was Right, Most Of Rivers And Bayelsa Youth Are Lazy. See Why... / Wike Absent As Okowa Is Unveiled As Atiku’s Running Mate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.