Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,376 members, 7,815,799 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

5 Great Qualities Of Da Grin Every Artist Should Strive To Achieve - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / 5 Great Qualities Of Da Grin Every Artist Should Strive To Achieve (2154 Views)

Pictures Of Da Grin's Grave / Da Grin - 'If I Die' (released Just Before He Died) / Da Grin Is Dead! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Great Qualities Of Da Grin Every Artist Should Strive To Achieve by chamotex(m): 9:13am On Apr 26, 2010
5 Great Qualities Of Da Grin Every Artist Should Strive To Achieve - Ms. Uduak

The qualities of a great artist DA GRIN possessed are numerous but for brevity sake, I narrow them to five key ones. These five, I think, is what every Nigerian artist and all of us should strive for if we want to make the kind of impact DA GRIN has had on us:

1. Servant Leader
: DA GRIN was a “beast” on the mic. But beyond his immense talent, he had a very humble disposition. His body language on and off stage always seem to say,“ I might be on stage telling you my story through my music but at the end of the day, it is all about YOU; inspiring YOU to never give up in anything you want to achieve.” That is how servant leaders work. They don’t take the glory but instead focus on the needs of those they serve. Indeed the many who met DA GRIN testified to his unique down to earth quality, humility, empathy and his willingness to listen to the many who crossed his path.

2. Attitude- DA GRIN had a good attitude, a rare commodity these days. He was willing to work on his craft and make it better by working with diverse artists with equally diverse personalities. We all know how difficult it can be to work with groups or individuals on any projects even if you all have the same goals. You have to deal with different styles, schedules, personalities, varying degrees of egos and attitudes. Yet, somehow, DA GRIN managed to work with numerous artists and in many instances helped shine or amplify the brands of the many he collaborated with. YQ, Naeto C, Sasha, Jazzman, Lala, Bigiano, Omawumi, 9ice, KSB, Carti Air, Ice Berg Slim, E-Jay and Pype, are just a few of these artists.

3. Passion- “If there is no passion in your life, then have you really lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you and you will find great things happen FOR you, TO you and BECAUSE of you.” ~T. Alan Armstrong. DA GRIN understood this quote so well and it showed in his work. It didn’t matter the haters, naysayers and his inability to afford “1 Redbull” as he put it in his song “Ghetto Dreams” off his Sophomore Album titled ‘CEO.’ He remained relentless and had a clear purpose on what he was called to do and he pursued his passion, passionately.

4. Perseverance- DA GRIN’s Mi So Fun Yin Entertainment record label is a clear showing of perseverance. “Mi So Fun Yin” which means, “I told you guys/ I told you so,” immediately indicates there were many naysayers but he persevered. In “Ghetto Dreams,” DA GRIN tells us we can’t imagine the insults he received, people basically said he would amount to nothing. But, he stayed focused, he was determined, he hustled from morning till dawn and was now reaping the benefits. The ability to never give up, regardless of the odds stacked against you, is critical and what great artists/persons are made of.

5. Gratitude –“Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others.” ~Cicero “Thank you” is a luxury in this day and age. If you live in Yankee or Jand, don’t even expect it. It is also worse among celebrities whether they be within or outside Naija. DA GRIN understood the importance of being grateful to his fans, colleagues, God etc. Whether it was on his album, collaborations with others etc. he said, “Thank you.” Gratitude to those who helped you rise to the top: friends, family, spouses, boy/girl friend, colleagues, media, managers, PR team etc.” is part of what makes you a great artist/person like DA GRIN.

Let me end with this strong quote from Buck Rodgers an American Baseball player from the late 1930s. “There are countless ways of attaining greatness, but any road to reaching one’s maximum potential must be built on a bedrock of respect for the individual, a commitment to excellence, and a rejection of mediocrity.”

DA GRIN’s short life on earth is a reminder that it is important for us to find our own truth, understand our purpose and carry out our purpose in a way that has a positive powerful impact on the many lives we come across.

I am inspired by this young man and hope you are too. Have an encouraging and inspiring week and may God grant us all the ability to achieve greatness the way DA GRIN did. Now go make it happen!

http://www.notjustok.com/2010/04/25/ms-uduak-5-great-qualities-da-grin-artist-strive-achieve/
Re: 5 Great Qualities Of Da Grin Every Artist Should Strive To Achieve by hatch: 1:09pm On Apr 26, 2010
Nice piece i must confess ! Da Grin's death is indeed a tragic loss to our entertainment industry. The great thing is that he left behind
The Music, The Lingua and The Grin.

He'll always live in our hearts that's for sure

# Omo Naija ni mi, Mo le fi eyin si Pepsi .
Re: 5 Great Qualities Of Da Grin Every Artist Should Strive To Achieve by Genuflect(m): 6:00pm On Apr 26, 2010
Nice write-up. I totally agree with this post. Da Grin made so much impact in such a little time
#RIPDaGrin
Re: 5 Great Qualities Of Da Grin Every Artist Should Strive To Achieve by kiptalkin: 6:31pm On Apr 26, 2010
I honestly like his style dat is y I keep telling d younger artiste dat wit dis sterling qualities u can achieve more dan u imagined, I luv helping the younger generation. For more info info visit www.feedup9ja..com BIG UP MY BRODA DAGRIN R.I.P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: 5 Great Qualities Of Da Grin Every Artist Should Strive To Achieve by stephen2(m): 9:30am On Apr 27, 2010
Still haven't gotten myself yet,i just wonder why the good are removed from the surface of the earth so soon.
I give glory to God because i know Dagrin is in HEAVEN now,am sooooooooooooooooo sure about that.
Just incase you are doubting,i will explain better.
If he had died immediately after the accident,then i would say he is hell fire now,knowing that he was drunk and stuffs,but God spared his life and gave him 8 extra days to repent,and am sure he did,knowing that he had a life treatning ghastly motor accident.
Bro,rest in peace, YOUR NAME HAS BEEN ADDED TO THE BOOKS, YOU CAME,YOU SAW,AND YOU CONQUERED.

(1) (Reply)

Watch And Download Olamide New Video – Voice Of The Streets / Who Is Better 2pac Or Nas? / Lyrics Chris Shalom - Power Belongs To You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.