Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:05 AM

My Petition That Got Post Master Generals' Attention - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Petition That Got Post Master Generals' Attention (815 Views)

Tinubu Receives Petition Against Dangote Over $3.4 Billion Siphoned Through CBN / Picture Of Dangote With Bottle Water That Got People Talking / Bill Gates' Arrest: The 1979 Porsche 911 Car That Got Billionaire Arrested (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Petition That Got Post Master Generals' Attention by Byonics: 4:35am On Feb 26, 2018
I just wished i could type to share my second sad experience with the fraudulent EMS officials. A lot of us already know about this but i think it was time to fight this in my own way and it really worth the fight. There are too many wicked extortion and 'governmentalized' frauds going on in Nigeria. Read my petition and you would relate with what i am saying.......

****MY ADDRESS!

The Post Master General,
Barr. Adebisi Adegbuyi,
Nipost Corporate Heasquarters,
Plot 1279 Muhamadu Buhari Way,
P.M.B 12537, Garki 900001
Abuja, Nigeria.
24th February, 2018.

REQUEST FOR THE RELEASE OF MY PARCEL (TRACKING NUMBER EZ*********); AND A PETITION FOR AN IMMEDIATE INVESTIGATION OF UNLAWFUL FEES IMPOSED BY NIGERIA POSTAL SERVICE - EMS, LAGOS ON PARCELS (GIFTS) THAT MEET THE CRITERIA OF NIGERIA CUSTOMS, CURRENCY & AIRPORT TAX REGULATIONS.

Dear Sir,

In the recent past, the Nigeria Postal Service have seriously risen to become a viable institution under your leadership, i commend you for this. However, i have had sad experiences of unlawful exploitation by some officials of the NIPOST/EMS in Lagos which are totally against the customs and air tax regulations of the federal republic of Nigeria and the universal parcel post regulations. This latest encounter thus informed this petition for the release of my parcel and a humble request to carefully investigate the concerned regulatory offices and parastatal.

I am pained that i am reaching out to you because of a level of fraud, corruption, forgery and illegality which should have been nipped at the bud by responsible men at the regional head offices before it gets to your notice. I know your stand for a robust NIPOST devoid of corrupt practices, hence my determination to bring this to your know, and those of other heads of government parastatal concerned.

Sir, two weeks ago, i sent a gift parcel to my sister from United states of America to Nigeria. This parcel of mine is defined as NON-DUTIABLE by the Nigeria Customs, Currency & Airport Tax regulations - IATA. My parcel is a gift that meets the threshold level below which parcels are free of customs duties and other taxes.

Sir, according to Air tax regulations of Nigeria and the Nigeria customs Agency, "Gifts valued up to and not exceeding NGN 58,000 - (excluding jewellery, photographic equipments, electronics and luxury goods) are admissible to exemption from import duty".

Sir, my parcel is a gift item - a gift worth $100 (equivalent of NGN 36,100) - a single artificial hair and a facial powder, all weighing 2lb 1.300z (0.945kg) NOT above 1kg. It is below the value of NGN 58,000. I lawfully and carefully complied to the completion of custom declaration formalities at post point; which ensures CN 23 custom declaration be accurately completed according to parcel post guidelines of Universal Postal Union Regulations - article RC 151, paragraph 1 and also documented in chapter 5 of Nigeria custom Guides and Matters. My parcel was clearly evaluated and captured as a GIFT.

Sir, Before the arrival of this parcel to Enugu, Nigeria, the United States postal services was giving me tracking updates on each port of call it made, even when it was cleared by the Nigerian custom at the Murtala Muhamed airpot, Lagos i was notified. It is on record that the Nigeria custom services did follow every postal regulations in clearing my parcel as a duty-free parcel.

This parcel arrived at Enugu, and my consignee got a call from an Enugu Nipost official (08142******) asking her to come with NGN 29,495 for custom and immigration fees. Custom and Immigration fee? As bogus as the description of the fees sounded, it was more disappointing to see hand written fees on a piece of paper attached to my parcel by EMS Lagos, re-valuating my gift parcel (an artificial hair) to worth N100,000 after it was evaluated at departure point to be a parcel worth N36,100 in compliance to the CN 23 custom declaration which was accurately completed with invoices shown at USPS office in Penssylvania, USA according to parcel post guidelines of universal postal union regulations article RC 151, paragraph 1 and chapter 5 of Nigeria Custom Guides and Matters. Both legal documents clearly states that the nature and properties of my parcel was duty free.

When i expressed my dissatisfaction on their illegalities, the said Nipost official demanded that i shift grounds for negotiation and that was a demand for a bribe through my consignee. It is corrupt practice of illegality for a NIPOST/EMS official to extort fees (cash) from a consignee through a NIPOST/EMS delivery notice for the Nigeria customs and services under ANY guise. This is clearly established in the regulations governing NIPOST/EMS and the Nigeria customs and services. It is in their respective laws of operation.

This fictitious fee demanded from me by Nipost EMS is 81.7% of the cost of the gift parcel.
In light of the laws regulating the Nigerian postal service, the Nigerian custom service and the universal postal union, this handwritten fees are illegal, indices of corruption, falsifications, and outrageously questionable. Someone is seriously impersonating the Nigerian customs, collecting illegal fees with the name of the NIPOST/EMS and ripping off the federal government for personal gains. Who is responsible for this handwritten fees in red ink which by all yardstick is fraudulent?

Sir, the demand for this illegal fee of NGN 29,495, contravenes the federal regulations of Nipost/EMS, and the Nigeria customs and services, vis-a-vis the universal postal union regulations. Attached is a copy of the said notice from Nipost EMS, Lagos. This practice has been ongoing for sometime now. Are these fees extorted from Nigerians remitted to the federal government? We can carefully study each word and item on that delivery notice and the itemized fees to justify the legality of each before their respective regulations. Who is responsible for that illegal stamp that identifies itself as "EMS SEAL"? These are pertinent questions that begs for an answer.

The fictitious N29,495 is a manipulated figure in red ink on an NIPOST EMS delivery note by some EMS officials in Lagos contravening all regulations governing mail processing and post. For avoidance of doubt, the Nigeria custom regulation as detailed in the Nigeria Custom Matters and Guides, expressly lists GIFTS as duty and tax-free goods. It is within the Nigerian custom admission thresholds and meets ALL criteria for goods that are tax free. The Nigerian customs and services lawfully cleared my parcel to be delivered to my consignee after it passed their scrutiny. Who is soiling the name of NIPOST, and the Nigeria customs with forgery and brazen illegality?

According to the same working document of the Nigeria Parcel post compendium, page 2, paragraph 2.1 SUPPLEMENTARY CHARGES - CUSTOMS, paragraph 2.1 NON-DUTIABLE PARCELS clearly states that gift parcels within the threshold levels are free of CUSTOM DUTIES AND OTHER TAXES. My gift parcel is within the threshold level; it is not more than NGN 58,000, it was evaluate and rightly captured as a gift following the Nigerian custom regulations to comply to CN23 documentation, it is a non-dutiable good, it is not in a commercial quantity, it is below 1kg etc.

Sir, let's make an assumption that my gift parcel is dutiable - it is above the threshold level above which parcels are NOT free of customs duties and other taxes (a definition clearly stated in the latest Nigeria parcel post compendium updated on the 16th of November 2017); http://Parcel_Compendium_NG_NGA_EN.pdf (www.parcel.upu.org).
This document contains the charter and operational information on the inbound parcel services of postal parcel partners under the regulations of the universal postal union.

Sir, with reference to Nigeria Parcel post compendium, page 2, article 2.1 SUPPLEMENTARY CHARGES - CUSTOMS, paragraph 2.2 DUTIABLE PARCELS. Sub-paragraph 22.1 states, "Customs clearance fee collected for parcels subject to import custom clearance. In paragraph 22.2: Amount of fee to be collected in Local currency is NGN 500 (USD 3.5)". "Comments: The amount collected is for handling expenses during operational processing".

Article 23 states thus, "Custom clearance fee collected for all items declared at customs. Amount to be collected in Local currency is N500 (USD 3.5). Comments: The collected is for handling charges". Article 30 through 31.5 further states collection and delivery procedures for parcels for which customs duty is payable. "No payments should be made over the counter at the local post office for customs duties and taxes delivery". Sir, this counter-practice is acknowledged as ILLEGAL amongst other alternatives clearly stated in that legal working document called Nigeria postal compendium.

The legal N500 (USD 3.5) on dutiable parcels coming into Nigeria by air as established in Nigeria Parcel post compendium, updated in Nov., 2017 (find attached document) is in obedience and compliance to the agreement by postal operators under and signatory to the universal postal regulations's Final Protocol working document called 'parcel post regulations', page 40, chapter 5, which states:

"Article RC 152 - Presentation-to-customs charge, paragraph 1: The guideline maximum amount of the presentation-to-customs charge referred to in article 20.2 of the convention which may be levied on parcels submitted to customs in the country of destination maybe subjected to a guideline maximum charge of 3.27SDR per parcel in accordance with article 20.2 of the convention.

Sir, from the Nigeria Customs Guidelines and Matters document, it is stated that "according to the tariff (HS) for dutiable parcels, the following are obtainable rates based on special scenarios as described in the Universal Postal Union regulations 5%, 7%, 1%, and 0.5% for parcels. Yet my parcel is not dutiable!

Some other facts worthy of note are:
1. According to the Nigerian custom regulations enshrined in Nigeria Custom Matters and Guide which states, "Delivery notice is prepared ONLY by the Nigeria customs and handed over with the parcel accompanied with the custom invoice......". Sir, the enclosed copy of delivery notice on my parcel was a picture shot taken from my parcel which is still in the custody of the Nipost EMS office in Enugu.

The notice was NOT prepared by the Nigeria customs but by NIPOST/EMS in an attempt to extort some unlawful fees from me. More to that, my parcel have not been handed over to me after the Nigeria customs services have lawfully cleared my parcel in Lagos airport following ALL rules of engagement. NIPOST/EMS are the ones illegally demanding for fees through the machinations of an 'EMS STAMP' (not Nigeria customs) - a forged and illegal stamp with the inscription of 'Nigeria customs and service'. Let the legality and activities of this stamp be investigated and audited.

2. According to the Nigerian custom regulations enshrined in Nigeria Custom Matter and Guides, "Consignees pay their respective duties at the designated Nigerian banks". This is even collaborated by the the latest Nigerian Parcel post compendium and regulations, page 10, article 31 - 31.5 which says, "No payment over the counter at the local post office for demand of immediate payment of customs duties and taxes" (find the attached document).

Sir, the EMS officials in Lagos wants me to pay N29,495 cash to their colleagues in Enugu. Assuming my parcel is dutiable (which it isn't}, are NIPOST/EMS officials by any known law supposed to collect cash from consignees for the Nigeria Customs and Services?
Is it not fraudulent and a corrupt practice? This fee is illegal, fraudulent, and a highly organized crime against your efforts, the federal republic and the patriotic citizens like me. This exploitation is a corrupt practice.

3. According to the Nigerian custom regulations enshrined in Nigeria Custom Matter and Guides, "Charges like clearance and handling fees are collected by the postal department for the services rendered". Sir, from the enclosed delivery notice from EMS NIPOST, it is clear that the only seemingly legal fee there is N1500 which is the postal clearance fee.

For avoidance of doubt, i understand that apart from the Nigeria custom service, the following are National bodies legally responsible for clearing postal items apart from the Nigerian customs: National Agency For Drug and Administration Control, National Drug Law Enforcement Agency and Plant and Quarantine Nigeria Agency.

Sir, I hold you in high esteem as an incorruptible legal luminary who has an unflinching regards for the rule of law. In view of the afore-stated, as a law abiding citizen of the federal republic of Nigeria do humbly request that my parcel be immediately released to my consignee without prejudice.

I also humbly demand that critical investigation and audit be launched in the activities of NIPOST/EMS in view of accounting for the funds illegally generated with the name of the Nigeria Customs and service for Nigeria postal service and the federal government of Nigeria.

I am confident of your immediate inquiry on the issues raised therein. I wish you more goodluck in your efforts to revive the good name of our noble institution.

Yours sincerely,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

COPY:
General Manager CBU. EMS/PARCEL
Asuquo Effiong Abianga,
Nipost Corporate Heasquarters,
Plot 1279 Muhamadu Buhari Way,
P.M.B 12537, Garki 900001
Abuja, Nigeria.

EMS Nigeria,
Mr. Dedegbudu Loveridge
International Mail Processing Centre (IMPC)
Nipost Building, Nacho Complex
Murtala Mohammed International Airport,
Ikeja Lagos, Nigeria.

Col. Hameed Ibrahim Ali (Rtd)
Comptroller-General of Customs
Nigeria Customs Service Headquarters
Abidjan Street,Wuse,
P.M.B. 26,
Zone 3,
Abuja - FCT
Nigeria

Senator Samuel Anyanwu,
The Chairman,
Senate committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions
Custom, Exercise & Tarrif
Federal Republic of Nigeria.

The General Manager,
EMS/Speedpost Corporate Headquarters,
8 Mobolaji Bank Anthony,
P.M.B 022 Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria.

General Manager CBU. EMS/PARCEL,
General Post Office,
Okpara Avenue, Enugu,
Enugu.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Petition That Got Post Master Generals' Attention by Pavore9: 5:37am On Feb 26, 2018
Very disheartening, I had a similar experience with NIPOST Shomolu.
Re: My Petition That Got Post Master Generals' Attention by mavinc4u(f): 1:28pm On Feb 26, 2018
I hope he replies, those people are nothing but crooks that is why many people don't use their service. Imagine where you would be charged when you are sending something from Nigeria to outside Nigeria, they would pull a calculator and start manipulating figures of already made list of fees to be paid against a specific item weight.

This is why Nigeria would never move forward, both the Nipost/Ems and custom employs uneducated crooks which is why they always steal and mess up the system. I have once witness how they do their calculations, they don't look at the actual cost of items you stated on the receipt when they calculate, rather they ask among themselves the cost of that item in the market and once anyone quotes it, they will use that to calculate. They probably concluded is a human hair that you sent and one of their own quoted that human hair cost 100k hence the reason you saw that 100k. Duties are paid per manifest number and something like 50k for a specific weight, I can't fully remember all the calculation stuffs but all I can say is that all the bodies you mentioned there are nothing but crooks. I only use Nipost to send out of Nigeria and not to send in.

CC Lalasticlala front page things.
Re: My Petition That Got Post Master Generals' Attention by Harryfrosh: 7:33pm On Jul 28, 2018
This really needs public attention..... What nipost are doing this days are not encouraging for someone to order for goods online outside the country.... Which doesn't have to be like that.... Imaging buying stuff of just 45k and nipost given you payment receipt of 28k to receive a package of just 45k.... I know majority of government institutions in Nigeria are corrupt... But I don't expect nipost to be among the list... Because that's where most of the people make money either from mini importation business or personal use... This post really needs to be given a lot of attention... So it can reach some notable people in the federal government.
Re: My Petition That Got Post Master Generals' Attention by noobody(m): 7:40pm On Jul 28, 2018
Those guys at NIPOST are noting but criminals,

I hope this petition is seriously looked into,and we get some form of positive feedback.
Re: My Petition That Got Post Master Generals' Attention by eleojo23: 8:57pm On Jul 28, 2018
Lalasticlala...show
Re: My Petition That Got Post Master Generals' Attention by ubev01(m): 10:31pm On Jul 28, 2018
Following
Re: My Petition That Got Post Master Generals' Attention by Gptech(m): 10:38pm On Jul 28, 2018
We need to expose these guys and put an end to this, it's getting out of hand already.
Re: My Petition That Got Post Master Generals' Attention by Gptech(m): 10:39pm On Jul 28, 2018
@Byonics, any reply?
Re: My Petition That Got Post Master Generals' Attention by newinventions: 4:04pm On Jul 29, 2018
I was forced to pay 1k each on printed material I receieved from a church in US weighing 0.50kg and 3.9kg each.

Is handling fee more than N500.

Pls someone should put me through cos am still expecting lots of packages and parcels from the US
Re: My Petition That Got Post Master Generals' Attention by jidobaba(m): 5:42pm On Dec 17, 2018
@byonics, how was the issue finally resolved? This thing has become a cancer.

(1) (Reply)

BLCO,LNG,LPFO AVAILABLE From A Genuine Seller / Be Ahead Of Others In Business Sign Up For MTN Call Assist / I Want To Learn Recharge Card Printing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.