Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,952 members, 7,814,229 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:30 AM

R S A: Let's Talk About Zuma - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / R S A: Let's Talk About Zuma (1029 Views)

Zuma And Wives / South Africa President Jacob Zuma Marries Third Wife / Jacob Zuma's £5.3m Home Expansion Prompts Outcry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

R S A: Let's Talk About Zuma by MyJoe: 11:33am On Apr 26, 2010
RSA
Let’s face it: Zuma is hardly inspiring. Well, to some of us. And that is being very conservative with words. I am personally at a loss, therefore, why he enjoyed, and continues to enjoy, such immense popularity among the people of South Africa. I am hoping you can help me make sense of this.
Why do you and your compatriots like Zuma as much as you do?
Thanks.
Re: R S A: Let's Talk About Zuma by RSA(m): 1:06pm On Apr 26, 2010
Yar Dua and your Goodluck are not inspiring me and why is that? maybe because I'm not a Nigerian

South Africans know why we like and voted for Zuma,for us is not about last year but its about what you did for your people in the last 50 years of your life.We want people with the right intentions,Zuma lived his entire life for the people and we know as a President he'll do his best,he is not a dictator.

And so far as a President he's doing well,I think you and other people are more concern about his private life and that your problem,as a South African I am happy with his contribution in the office,and I will choose him and his personal issues over Mugabe or any dictator in Africa who has a 'good' private life, but a corrupt dictator in the office.

I hope you know now.
Re: R S A: Let's Talk About Zuma by MyJoe: 5:03pm On Apr 26, 2010
RSA:

Yar Dua and your Goodluck are not inspiring me and why is that? maybe because I'm not a Nigerian

South Africans know why we like and voted for Zuma,for us is not about last year but its about what you did for your people in the last 50 years of your life.We want people with the right intentions,Zuma lived his entire life for the people and we know as a President he'll do his best,he is not a dictator.

And so far as a President he's doing well,I think you and other people are more concern about his private life and that your problem,as a South African I am happy with his contribution in the office,and I will choose him and his personal issues over Mugabe or any dictator in Africa who has a 'good' private life, but a corrupt dictator in the office.

I hope you know now.

No, not in the least. But thanks for responding. Maybe if I get lucky I will find a South African who can discuss the topic. Stay blessed.
Re: R S A: Let's Talk About Zuma by morpheus24: 5:59pm On Apr 26, 2010
MyJoe:

No, not in the least. But thanks for responding. Maybe if I get lucky I will find a South African who can discuss the topic. Stay blessed.

I think MR RSA answered you fairly but non the less this was not the answer you would be satisfied with.
Re: R S A: Let's Talk About Zuma by MyJoe: 6:45pm On Apr 26, 2010
morpheus24:

I think MR RSA answered you fairly
What you are saying is that reminding me of other people who are not the subject matter, then telling me that Zuma is not a dictator like other African leaders, and then spinning off lines about my possible motives is a "fair" answer. Then I must question your standard of "fairness".

morpheus24:
but non the less this was not the answer you would be satisfied with.
You are right. The answer I would be satisfied with would be something like: "He has this quality. . ." "We believe he can deliver in this important area. . ." "We looked at the other contenders and felt he could surpass them in. . ."
Re: R S A: Let's Talk About Zuma by Mpele(m): 8:53am On Apr 28, 2010
What most like about Zuma is his warm character. Leaving his private life aside, Zuma is a bit more laid back, free spirited and a people's person. Poor South African can relate to him, If you're a black South African U will understand what I'm talkin about. He is a clear departure from the aloof and short tempererd Thabo Mbeki. Mbeki enjoyed the company of his fellow intellectuals, he was never a people's person. For the first time we can see a smiling leader

Re: R S A: Let's Talk About Zuma by RSA(m): 12:35pm On Apr 28, 2010
Maybe we are inpired by this

JACOB GEDLEYIHLEKISA ZUMA

President of the ANC
President of the ANC
Deputy President of the ANC (from 1997-2007)
Member of ANC NWC, NEC
Former Deputy President in the South African Government (1999-2005)
President of the South African Government

Jacob Zuma was born on 12 April 1942 in Inkandla, KwaZulu-Natal Province.

His father died at the end of World War II, after which his mother took up employment as a domestic worker in Durban. He spent his childhood moving between Zululand and the suburbs of Durban, and by age 15 took on odd jobs to supplement his mother's income.

Owing to his deprived childhood, Jacob Zuma did not receive any formal schooling. Heavily influenced by a trade unionist family member, he became involved in politics at an early age and joined the African National Congress in 1959. He became an active member of Umkhonto We Sizwe in 1962, following the banning of the ANC in 1960.

While on his way out of the country in 1963, he was arrested with a group of 45 recruits near Zeerust in what was then the western Transvaal (now the Northern West Province). Convicted of conspiring to overthrow the government, he was sentenced to 10 years' imprisonment, which he served on Robben Island.

After his release, Jacob Zuma helped mobilise internal resistance and was instrumental in the re-establishment of ANC underground structures in the then Natal province, (KwaZulu-Natal) between 1973 and 1975.

He left South Africa in 1975 and for the next 12 years, based first in Swaziland and then Mozambique, dealt with thousands of young exiles who poured out of South Africa in the wake of the Soweto uprising.

He lived in several African countries working for the ANC, where he rose rapidly through the ranks to become a member of the ANC National Executive Committee in 1977. He also served as Deputy Chief Representative of the ANC in Mozambique, a post he occupied until the signing of the Nkomati Accord between the Mozambican and South African governments in 1984. After signing the Accord, he was appointed as Chief Representative of the ANC and was one of a few who remained in Mozambique to carry out the work of the organisation, crossing in and out of South Africa on a number of occasions.

Jacob Zuma was forced to leave Mozambique in January 1987 after considerable pressure on the Mozambican government by the PW Botha regime. He moved to the ANC Head Office in Lusaka, Zambia, where he was appointed Head of Underground Structures and shortly thereafter Chief of the Intelligence Department.

He served on the ANC's political and military council when it was formed in the mid-80s.

Following the unbanning of the ANC in February 1990, he was one of the first ANC leaders to return to South Africa to begin the process of negotiations, and was instrumental in organising the Groote Schuur Minute between the FW de Klerk regime and the ANC that reached important decisions about the return of exiles and the release of political prisoners.

In 1990, at the first Regional Congress of the ANC in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN), he was elected Chairperson of the Southern Natal region and took a leading role in fighting violence in the region. This resulted in a number of Peace Accords involving the ANC and the Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP)

In 1991, at the first ANC National Conference held in South Africa after the unbanning of the organisation, he was elected the Deputy Secretary General of the ANC.

In January 1994, he was nominated as the ANC candidate for the Premiership of the KZN province. He is generally regarded as the person most instrumental in achieving the peace that is now enjoyed by the people of KZN and in October 1998 he was honoured with the Nelson Mandela Award for Outstanding Leadership in Washington DC, USA.

After the first national democratic elections in South Africa in 1994, Jacob Zuma was appointed as Member of the Executive Committee (MEC) of Economic Affairs and Tourism for the KZN provincial government.

He is also a patron of the KZN Reconstruction and Development Project (RDP) Bursary Fund, which is linked to the RDP section of the Department of Economic Affairs and Tourism. He established this bursary fund, using funds that each cabinet member of the KZN province was given to use on any project of their choice. Owing to his rural background and empathy for the poorest of the poor, he decided to use his allocation to help educate poor people in rural areas by establishing the bursary fund. The fund focuses mainly on primary school children in the rural areas but has, from 1999, started assisting students at tertiary institutions. There is currently in excess of 1,000 pupils being assisted at primary level and 10 at tertiary institutions.

In December 1994, Jacob Zuma was elected National Chairperson of the ANC and chairperson of the ANC in KZN. He was re-elected to the latter position in 1996.

He was elected Deputy President of the ANC at the National Conference held at Mafikeng in December 1997. Jacob Zuma was appointed Executive Deputy President of South Africa in June 1999.

Jacob Zuma was elected President of the ANC at the National Conference held at Polokwane in December 2007.

He was elected President of the Republic of South Africa on 6 May 2009. He was inaugurated at the Union Buildings in Pretoria on 9 May 2009.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Profile of Jacob Zuma

Personal

Date of birth: 12 April 1942, Inkandla, KwaZulu-Natal.
Current Positions

President of the Republic of South Africa since 9 May 2009.
President of the African National Congress (ANC) since 20 December 2007.
Career/Memberships/Positions/Other Activities

Influenced by a family member who was a trade unionist, he became involved in Politics at an early age.
Joined the African National Congress (ANC) in 1958 and
Became an active member of Umkhonto we Sizwe (1962).
Whilst on his way out of the country, he was arrested with a group of 52 recruits near Zeerust in North West Province (1963).
Convicted of conspiring to overthrow the government, he was sentenced to 10 years imprisonment on Robben Island (1963).
After his release in December 1973, he worked to mobilise internal resistance and was instrumental in the re-establishment of ANC underground structures in the then Natal, now KwaZulu-Natal (1974 - 1975).
Left South Africa in 1975 and for the next 12 years was based first in Swaziland and then Mozambique. He was involved in underground work with others, giving leadership to the ANC structures operating inside South Africa. He also dealt with the thousands of young exiles that poured out of South Africa in the wake of the Soweto uprising in June 1976.
Lived in several African countries working for the ANC and rose rapidly through the ranks to become a member of the National Executice Committee (NEC) of the ANC (1977).
Served as Deputy Chief Representative and later Chief Representative of the ANC in Mozambique until 1984, the year of the signing of the Nkomati Accord between the Mozambican and South African governments.
Served on the ANC's Military Committee and Political Committee when formed in the mid 80's.
Appointed Head of the Underground Structures and shortly thereafter, Chief of Intelligence at the ANC Head Office in Lusaka, Zambia (1987).
He was one of the first ANC leaders to return to South Africa to begin the process of negotiation, following the unbanning of the ANC (1990).
Instrumental in organising the Groote-Schuur Minute between the FW de Klerk Government and the ANC that reached important decisions about the return of exiles and the release of political prisoners (1990).
Elected Chairperson of the Southern Natal and took a leading role in fighting violence in the region, this resulted in a number of Peace Accords involving the ANC and the Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP) (1990).
Elected the Deputy Secretary-General of the ANC during the National Conference held in South Africa after the unbanning of the organisation in 1991.
Deployed in KwaZulu-Natal because he felt that he had a role to play in bringing about peace and stability in the then highly volatile region (1994).
Nominated as the ANC candidate for the Premiership of the KZN Province (1994).
His strategic thinking and conflict resolution skills played a pivotal role in ending conflict in KwaZulu Natal and the then PWV region, where state-sponsored violence was tearing communities apart.
Appointed Member of the Executive Committee (MEC) of Economic Affairs and Tourism for the KZN Provincial Government (1994).
As MEC, he worked hard to develop the tourism industry in the province. He created a good working relationship between business, labour, and worked tirelessly to facilitate new investments in the KwaZulu Natal economy.
Elected National Chairperson of the ANC and Chairperson of the ANC in KZN (December 1994).
Executive Deputy President of the Republic of South Africa (17 June 1999 - 22 June 2005).
Leader of Government Business in the National Assembly (June 1997).
Started the process of promoting positive values through the launch of the Moral Regeneration Movement.
Deputy President of the ANC (December 1997).
Chairperson of the South African National Aids Council.
Chancellor at the University of Zululand.
Patron of the Jacob Zuma Bursary Fund (1998).
Patron of the Peace and Reconstruction Foundation.
Patron of Albert Luthuli Education and Development Foundation.
Played an important role as mediator and facilitator of peace on the continent especilly in Bulundi and Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
Awards/Decorations/Bursaries

Honoured with the Nelson Mandela Award for Outstanding Leadership in Washington DC, US. (1998)
Received an Honorary Doctorate of Literature from the University of Fort Hare (2001)
Received an Honorary Doctorate of Administration from the University of Zululand (2001)
Received an Honorary Doctorate of Philosophy from Medical University of Southern Africa (2001)
Source: The Presidency
Re: R S A: Let's Talk About Zuma by Kay17: 3:48pm On May 14, 2010
Impressive! ten years in prison. That kind of sacrifice would be hard to come by in Nigeria.

But he loves dancing a lot. and loves women.

He has some sembleance of a dictator, hardly tolerant and on a constant battle with the media and judiciary.
Re: R S A: Let's Talk About Zuma by MyJoe: 4:27pm On May 14, 2010
Kay 17:

Impressive! ten years in prison. That kind of sacrifice would be hard to come by in Nigeria.

He has some sembleance of a dictator, hardly tolerant and on a constant battle with the media and judiciary.
@bolded
May I ask how you came to this conclusion?
Re: R S A: Let's Talk About Zuma by Kay17: 1:22am On May 16, 2010
a survey of Nigerian leaders!?
Re: R S A: Let's Talk About Zuma by AjanleKoko: 9:40am On May 16, 2010
Absurd thread.
Why not compare Zuma to OBJ and his twenty-something wives? He even had to add his daughter-in-law to his scorecard.

Kay 17:

MyJoe:

@bolded
May I ask how you came to this conclusion?

Nigerian leaders don't make any kind of sacrifice anyways, that point is irrelevant. Maybe their political enemies sometimes throw them in jail . . . but that's where it ends.
Re: R S A: Let's Talk About Zuma by adconline(m): 12:34pm On May 16, 2010
I think it will really be unfair to compare Zuma to Mandela, if that was your benchmark on fairness, however, Zuma he comes off as someone who has lived his life in struggle. It's like Jesse Jackson who fought in Civil Rights era, but had had an illegitimate child. I think Zuma is authentic, relatable and reflects the actualisation of black emancipation in RSA.  It's like George Bush and Al Gore in 1999 elections.
Re: R S A: Let's Talk About Zuma by MyJoe: 3:33pm On May 17, 2010
Kay 17:

a survey of Nigerian leaders!?
You did not say anything about "Nigerian leaders" in your post. Here is it again
Kay 17:

And was Zuma "South African leader" when he went to jail?

AjanleKoko:

Absurd thread.
Why not compare Zuma to OBJ and his twenty-something wives? He even had to add his daughter-in-law to his scorecard.
Why compare Zuma to OBJ? I wonder why you people are obsessed with the sexuality of leaders or did you see anything about Zuma's sexuality in OP?

AjanleKoko:

Nigerian leaders don't make any kind of sacrifice anyways, that point is irrelevant. Maybe their political enemies sometimes throw them in jail . . . but that's where it ends.
While Nigerian leaders are uninspiring, how does that justify the lie that you can't find Zuma's sort of sacrifice in Nigeria? Are you and K17 aware of how many people lost their lives fighting to overthrew stratocracy in Nigeria? Countless people have made the supreme sacrifice for this country. There are no politicians with 10 year jail records in Nigeria, but have any of you ever heard the statement that heroes are made by circumstances?

adconline:

I think it will really be unfair to compare Zuma to Mandela, if that was your benchmark on fairness, however, Zuma he comes off as someone who has lived his life in struggle. It's like Jesse Jackson who fought in Civil Rights era, but had had an illegitimate child. I think Zuma is authentic, relatable and reflects the actualisation of black emancipation in RSA.  It's  like George Bush and Al Gore in 1999 elections.
How, in your exalted opinion, has anyone here compared Zuma to Mandela? Emancipation, yes. But there were countless others. In fact, most South Africans of that era are heroes of the struggle. Zuma himself has repeatedly paid tribute to these great people. Why can't some of you move beyond apartheid?

Anyway, since some of you can't comprehend the thread, let me try to explain it.

There is overwhelming support for Zuma among the people of South Africa. Compared to the others there were to choose from, such as Sexwale and Ramaphosa, some find this incomprehensible. In line with that, there were many pundits who thought Mandela also made a mistake in picking Mbeki, a view I share.

South Africa, like every country, has its challenges at this time. There is rampant poverty and unemployment. There is runaway crime. There is the matter of land which is still in the hands of whites - you need someone with the guts to look them in the face and tackle this problem.
Now, looking at Zuma, it is hard to put a finger on what it is the people saw that made them believe he can tackle these serious problems. I have followed his politics for a long time and he strikes me as a typical Nigerian politician, that is someone who places emphasis on politics above anything else. He is a consensus builder and consensus builders usually draw back when it comes to important but difficult decisions that will involve "stepping on toes". I had hoped South Africa would do better than the rest of Africa, including Nigeria, when it comes to picking its leaders, but what have we seen? When I opened thread I was hoping to learn that single thing that was seen in him which gave the impression that he has the capability to tackle that country's varied problems. But reading to the responses by the South Africans here one's worst fears are confirmed - that he did not win because the people saw something in him that made them believe he could solve their problems! It is all down to his ability to smile and charm the people!! I watched him in Davos the other day and was taken aback to see him laughing when a serious question bothering South African economy was asked.

In advanced democracies, people tend to vote based on the perceived ability of the contender to tackle the issues bothering the citizens at that time. In Africa villagers vote for someone who brings bags of rice. People who can smile and charm their fellow countrymen tend to do well in politics. This is also true in advanced democracies but only to a certain extent - people also look at the issues. Africans need to wake up.

I certainly don't think much of Nigerian leaders in general - in fact, I hold them in contempt. But they are not the subject of this thread. Did anyone miss that? If you want to discuss Obasanjo or Jonathan or whoever open another thread on him. It is free.
Re: R S A: Let's Talk About Zuma by RSA(m): 9:26am On May 20, 2010
MyJoe:

South Africa, like every country, has its challenges at this time. There is rampant poverty and unemployment. There is runaway crime. There is the matter of land which is still in the hands of whites - you need someone with the guts to look them in the face and tackle this problem.
Now, looking at Zuma, it is hard to put a finger on what it is the people saw that made them believe he can tackle these serious problems. I have followed his politics for a long time and he strikes me as a typical Nigerian politician, that is someone who places emphasis on politics above anything else. He is a consensus builder and consensus builders usually draw back when it comes to important but difficult decisions that will involve "stepping on toes". I had hoped South Africa would do better than the rest of Africa, including Nigeria, when it comes to picking its leaders, but what have we seen?
In advanced democracies, people tend to vote based on the perceived ability of the contender to tackle the issues bothering the citizens at that time. In Africa villagers vote for someone who brings bags of rice. People who can smile and charm their fellow countrymen tend to do well in politics. This is also true in advanced democracies but only to a certain extent - people also look at the issues. Africans need to wake up.
My Joe I do understand your concern regarding leadership in Africa,but Africa is not one country.South Africa's problems are unlike any other country in the continent,in South Africa we have both world in one country,a typical third world country and a first world.And we need a leader who could relates to both worlds and whose mission is to bring them together.The ruling party is trying hard to balance this.And one thing that people forget is in South Africa we don't vote for an individual but for a party,which means we vote for a party's policies not Zuma's policies,if Zuma is not doing what his party appointed him to do then just like they did to Mbeki they will recall him and appoint someone else.

Most of us are familiar with the policy of ANC,and there fore vote them in power because of what they stand for.South Africa's problems or challenges cannot be solved in 10 years or even 20 years,it need a long term goals,we need to educate the previously disadvantaged groups and this won't happen in the short term.Crime,HIV,unemployement are caused by lack of education.Having said that South African blacks are one of the fasted growing middle class in Africa,but more need to be done,the goverment want atleast 80 percent of all South Africans to be in the middle class category in the next 30 years.
Re: R S A: Let's Talk About Zuma by MyJoe: 12:55pm On May 21, 2010
RSA:

My Joe I do understand your concern regarding leadership in Africa,but Africa is not one country.South Africa's problems are unlike any other country in the continent,in South Africa we have both world in one country,a typical third world country and a first world.[b]And we need a leader who could relates to both worlds and whose mission is to bring them together.[/b]The ruling party is trying hard to balance this.And one thing that people forget is in South Africa we don't vote for an individual but for a party,which means we vote for a party's policies not Zuma's policies,if Zuma is not doing what his party appointed him to do then just like they did to Mbeki they will recall him and appoint someone else.
Some sensible talk here. I do realise there are different countries in Africa, each with its unique set of challenges. But there are also similar problems. My reference to Africa was made in the realisation that South Africans may be voting like the rest of Africa, that is, voting for the Big Man, instead of considering issues. My concern is about the highlighted - I failed to see in Zuma the ability to do this and was hoping to learn something I may have missed from you.

RSA:
Most of us are familiar with the policy of ANC,and there fore vote them in power because of what they stand for.
This is not the issue but the issue is related to this. South African politics is dominated by the ANC and whoever is picked by the ANC as its leader becomes president. So by questioning the choice of Zuma by South Africans I was questioning the support given him by the supporters of the ANC. I was not wondering why South Africans did not vote for DA or IFP. The two politicians I mentioned their names are both members of the ANC.

The support enjoyed by the ANC is perfectly understandable. The challenge, therefore, is for the ANC to get it right in picking its leaders and election candidates. A friend went to South Africa back then and told me of his conversation with his taxi driver. The driver was full of support for Zuma, whom he described as "president-in-waiting", and denunciation for Mbeki. The reason for this is what I failed to comprehend. I think Mpele's post is right - people are charmed by Zuma's smiles and put off by Mbeki's aloofness. And that is what worries me. It was nothing about any perceived abilities of Zuma's.
Re: R S A: Let's Talk About Zuma by lordangers(m): 5:54pm On Jun 30, 2010
Personally I've got to like this guy better then Mbeki. Mbeki was an fing looney at times like with the Zim thing, he only stopped an arms shipment when the dockworkers went on strike over it. Also as soon as Zuma came to power he saw that land form had to be put on hold. Why? Because he looked at the facts and it's sucsess rate (90% of farms given to black people were losing money). Even though he came from the poor background he saw sense. Im not some white guy asking for him to give it up. I would rather he did but he postponed it which is good enough for me. At least till he realises how to improve it.  grin
The one thing I dont like about him (aside from his negative private life especially in a region with a high rate of HIV) is his youth wing and who he's got in charge there. Im sure many of you know him. Julius Malema, you know the one who bases every political action he does on race (he said it himself), the fact he calls for the diamond mines to be given back to the "native people", the one who called a BBC journalist a bstrd and a colonial agent (remind you of anyone *cough*Mugabe*ough*) and finnaly, he won a debating competition. Something he was apparently proud of when he was talking to a radio hostess about how he had refused to join a debate with a lower party. And Mr Zuma continues to support him and he even positivly associates with him. I know he's young (Malema) and I suppose all young people are like that but im 15 and saying this is a load of poo and is being said by a guy who cant restrain himself.
Re: R S A: Let's Talk About Zuma by Beaf: 1:34pm On Jul 01, 2010
lordangers:

Personally I've got to like this guy better then Mbeki. Mbeki was an fing looney at times like with the Zim thing, he only stopped an arms shipment when the dockworkers went on strike over it. Also as soon as Zuma came to power he saw that land form had to be put on hold. Why? Because he looked at the facts and it's sucsess rate (90% of farms given to black people were losing money). Even though he came from the poor background he saw sense. Im not some white guy asking for him to give it up. I would rather he did but he postponed it which is good enough for me. At least till he realises how to improve it.  grin
The one thing I dont like about him (aside from his negative private life especially in a region with a high rate of HIV) is his youth wing and who he's got in charge there. Im sure many of you know him. Julius Malema, you know the one who bases every political action he does on race (he said it himself), the fact he calls for the diamond mines to be given back to the "native people", the one who called a BBC journalist a bstrd and a colonial agent (remind you of anyone *cough*Mugabe*ough*) and finnaly, he won a debating competition. Something he was apparently proud of when he was talking to a radio hostess about how he had refused to join a debate with a lower party. And Mr Zuma continues to support him and he even positivly associates with him. I know he's young (Malema) and I suppose all young people are like that but im 15 and saying this is a load of poo and is being said by a guy who cant restrain himself.

It is unavoidable that SA and Namibia will go the way of Zimbabwe, maybe with lessons learnt, it would be less stressful; but that is all we can hope for.
Land injustice is one of the reasons Mbeki was sent packing and Zuma brought in. It is only a matter of time.
The level of injustice in South Africa is grave.

Malema represents the unspoken.
Re: R S A: Let's Talk About Zuma by morpheus24: 2:49pm On Jul 01, 2010
Beaf:

It is unavoidable that SA and Namibia will go the way of Zimbabwe, maybe with lessons learnt, it would be less stressful; but that is all we can hope for.
Land injustice is one of the reasons Mbeki was sent packing and Zuma brought in. It is only a matter of time.
The level of injustice in South Africa is grave.

Malema represents the unspoken.
@ beaf

I just came back from South Africa. My experience overall was positive of course the owing to the WC as a huge factor into the calm and organization I experienced. However my many visits to SA and this one included have lead me to believe through analysis that it should dare to adopt the land reform practices of Zimbabwe in terms of handing over land back to poor inprovished individuals who lack the innovation and skills to yield the optimal output with what they have been given. you might argue that eventually they will optimize output but the lapse in the time frame they will either cede this to their progeny (who are likely be able to manage the land, pending if they actually go to school and acquire the skills needed) will create an escalating overall economic meltdown of the country interms of productivity GDP output.

You simply can't hand stuff over to people who are entitlement driven and lack the capacity to innovate. A program must be set off for the gradual transfer of wealth from those who have held it illegitmately to those who require it to progress. The problem is the PROCESS to be adopted. It must have ingeniuty, substance, strict enforcement and a reliablity index before being implemented.  A clear example ofthis lay back entielement driven , at our own pace approache was witnessed by me  when I was in the cape and compared the service delivery in that province to that of Johanesburg. THere is a stark difference. The cape by the way is run by the DNC and The gauteng province of Johanesburg by the ANC.

The government know this but the power holders are delaying this measure tactically by diverting attention away from these pressing matters and focusing on government corruption, nepotism, crime and so on. I would do the same as a strategic move if i were a power holder. IT will take an intelligent man who is able to manuveur politically these strategies that are in manipulation.

Unfortunately Zuma does not strike me as such an individual and South Africa wil remain under pressure soon to implode if he right measures are not taken Once that happens outcome the naysayers who continue to advocate to the world that the ANC are incapable of running the country.

Zuma is simply riding the storm, he is not intelligent enough to take the necessary steps as a progressive leader and I think SA right now is really confused on what direction to take as far as leadership is concerned. They however are content that one of their own is leading them regardless of his/her qualifications for the job
Re: R S A: Let's Talk About Zuma by Beaf: 3:57pm On Jul 01, 2010
morpheus24:

You simply can't hand stuff over to people who are entitlement driven and lack the capacity to innovate. A program must be set off for the gradual transfer of wealth from those who have held it illegitmately to those who require it to progress. The problem is the PROCESS to be adopted. It must have ingeniuty, substance, strict enforcement and a reliablity index before being implemented. A clear example ofthis lay back entielement driven , at our own pace approache was witnessed by me when I was in the cape and compared the service delivery in that province to that of Johanesburg. THere is a stark difference. The cape by the way is run by the DNC and The gauteng province of Johanesburg by the ANC.

"DNC". Do you mean Democratic Alliance(DA)? DA is the "hippie" party. It also has strong ANC ties.
I see the point you are driving, that is why I said they will surely go down the equity route; but with lessons learnt from Zim. "Willing buyer, willing seller" has failed the people.
The lessons to learn are how ferocious the counter can be, how land hand overs without very detailed planning can disrupt good intentions and that oodles of silky charisma are necessary.

morpheus24:

Unfortunately Zuma does not strike me as such an individual and South Africa wil remain under pressure soon to implode if he right measures are not taken Once that happens outcome the naysayers who continue to advocate to the world that the ANC are incapable of running the country.

Zuma is simply riding the storm, he is not intelligent enough to take the necessary steps as a progressive leader and I think SA right now is really confused on what direction to take as far as leadership is concerned. They however are content that one of their own is leading them regardless of his/her qualifications for the job

To me charisma and above average people skills are all that is required, the job of the President would be simply to deliver the plan. The ANC machine will take care of the detailed planning required.

(1) (Reply)

General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act / 7.4 Aftershock Hits Off Japan Again! / Mossad ‘tried To Kill’ Saddam Hussein Using ‘exploding Book’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.