Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,165 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:22 AM

Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! (18994 Views)

Nigerian Lady Hit By Lebanese Man Driving Against Traffic In Lagos Dies / Helicopter Picks Billionaire Stuck In Traffic For 2 Hours On Lagos-Benin Road / Thousands Of Vehicles Stuck In Traffic In China (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by AutoJoshNIG: 11:46am On Feb 28, 2018
I think some of us who live in Lagos state ought to change our postal addresses to read thus:

Omololu Njideka Ahmed
Lagos Traffic,
Lagos, Nigeria.

This might appear like an attempt at humour, but the reality upon us is that a great part of our lives spent living in Lagos is actually spent in traffic.

Indeed, millions of Lagosians spend more time in traffic than in their homes or workplaces!

Once-upon-a-time, yours truly departed Lekki Phase 1 for home. The time of departure was 4 pm. I got home, somewhere on the Mainland, sometime in the region of midnight. Note, that is just about the amount of time it takes to drive from Lagos to Accra, Ghana.

That is how brutal the legendary Lagos traffic could be.

Without realizing it, millions of Lagosians spend several months in a single year in traffic. That is, when hours are converted to days and months. And by this, I am not talking about Lagosians who eke a living in Lagos as commercial vehicle drivers.

Well, let me not bore you with tales. Let’s get down to do the maths. Perhaps that would illustrate how much of our lives we waste in Lagos traffic.

The Maths:

Now, let say that – on every weekday – you spend, say, 3 hours commuting in Lagos traffic, that means you spend 60 hours monthly (3hours x 5days x 4weeks) = 60hours.

60 hours converted to days is 2.5 days.

Multiply that by 12 months, what you get is 30 days.

Simply, if you spend 3 hours on weekdays commuting in Lagos, 30 days in a single year is what you spend in traffic.

So, if you spend more hours in Lagos traffic (going and returning from work), see below how many days or months in a year you spend in traffic below.

4 hours = 40 days

5 hours = 50 days.

6 hours = 60 days (2 months)

Note: (Anyone that spends more time beyond this point in traffic have absolutely no business not being a yellow cab, Uber or Taxify driver)

7 hours = 70 days.

8 hours = 80 days

9 hours = 90 days (3 months)

10 hours = 100 days

Surely, there is no way living this way cannot impact negatively on the Life Expectancy of a people.

So, how much time do you spend in traffic in a year?

https://autojosh.com/lagosians-see-much-time-spend-traffic-single-year/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by Nobody: 11:50am On Feb 28, 2018
We get choice?

Immediately i exit my estate gate I enter traffic straight.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by ikbnice(m): 12:05pm On Feb 28, 2018
I just keep thinking if Nigeria were to be China

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by Jakumo(m): 12:09pm On Feb 28, 2018
But for the existence of the international airport in Lagos, I would never set foot in that place for the rest of my entire life, and be glad for that freedom of choice.

I cannot think of a dirtier, smellier, louder, more congested, more polluted, and more spontaneously dangerous city, than Lagos, Nigeria.

I would sooner occupy a grass hut located in a deep forest, for a whole year, with no phone, no electricity and only the food I can kill, than to spend one single day trapped inside a mansion built ANYWHERE in that place called Lagos.

I wouldn't stay a week in Lagos, even if someone offered me a million euros to take that challenge, unless of course the money was paid in advance, in which case I would take the cash and vanish into the cosmos, never to be seen again.

I could go on, but suffice to say, my loathing for Lagos Nigeria, runs very, very deep indeed.

62 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by coolcharm(m): 12:10pm On Feb 28, 2018
Last last, man gats hustle. Even na 6months for traffic

1 Like

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by coolcharm(m): 12:12pm On Feb 28, 2018
Jakumo:
But for the existence of the international airport in Lagos, I would never set foot in that place for the rest of my entire life, and be glad for that freedom of choice.

I cannot think of a dirtier, smellier, louder, more congested, more polluted, and more spontaneously dangerous city, than Lagos, Nigeria.

I would sooner occupy a grass hut located in a deep forest, for a whole year, with no phone, no electricity and only the food I can kill, than to spend one single day trapped inside a mansion built ANYWHERE in that place called Lagos.

I wouldn't stay a week in Lagos, even if someone offered me a million euros to take that challenge, unless of course the money was paid in advance, in which case I would take the cash and vanish into the cosmos, never to be seen again.

I could go on, but suffice to say, my loathing for Lagos Nigeria, runs very, very deep indeed.

1 Like

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by AutoJoshNIG: 6:18am On Mar 01, 2018
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by chauvinist(m): 6:52am On Mar 01, 2018
Terrible
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by stephen109(m): 6:53am On Mar 01, 2018
I ask 4 God’s BRAIN 2 DRAIN away d RAIN of PAIN in your life & fall RAIN of GAIN on u so dt what u OBTAIN & ORDAIN 2 be will not turn into VAIN. Hv a wonderful March

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by justi4jesu(f): 6:54am On Mar 01, 2018
cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by phayvoursky(m): 6:56am On Mar 01, 2018
I HARDLY EXPERIENCE TRAFFIC THESE DAYS.

IF YOU DO LIKE ME, NA UR WAHALA BE THAT.

I LIVE AT BADAGRY. DAILY I LIVE MY HOUSE BY 3:30 AM HEADING FOR APAPA AND BEFORE 6 I'M AT MY DESTINATION.

AT THE CLOSE OF WORK I WAIT TILL 9PM BEFORE I HEAD FOR HOME JUST AND I GET HOME BETWEEN 11:30 PM AT MOST 12 AM.

BUT I HAVE TO SACRIFICE MY SLEEP. WETIN MAN GO DO NA?

MANY CARS OWNERS LIVING WITHIN THAT AXIS HAVE THEIR CARS PARKED IN THEIR GARAGE. ITS TOUGH BEEN A LAGOSIAN BUT LAGOS IS FOR TOUGH PEOPLE.

3 Likes

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by justi4jesu(f): 6:56am On Mar 01, 2018
vijumilk47:
cheesy grin cheesy
Well in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking at this matter in a different way and without fighting and by trying to make it clear, and by considering each and every ones opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say.

You need better cane. angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by 1x2x3: 6:58am On Mar 01, 2018
Nn
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by chukkystar(m): 6:58am On Mar 01, 2018
Lagos will give U automatic high BP.. U wan go flex with ur money weekend sef, when U reason traffic U go just sit-down for house

2 Likes

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by kenodrill: 7:00am On Mar 01, 2018
Never 've I liked lagos! City too densed abeg!
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by RapportNaija(m): 7:01am On Mar 01, 2018
Bad
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by Nobody: 7:01am On Mar 01, 2018
The most thing I fear about relocating to Lagos is traffic.

How can someone wake up by 3am,leave the house by 4am just to beat traffic?, how do people even do it?,the worse part is you get to enter your house let's say 11pm at night and the circle continues undecided

10 Likes

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by kenodrill: 7:03am On Mar 01, 2018
stephen109:
I ask 4 God’s BRAIN 2 DRAIN away d
RAIN of PAIN in your life &
fall RAIN of GAIN on u so dt what u OBTAIN &
ORDAIN 2 be will not turn into VAIN.
Hv a wonderful March

Nice rhyme bro.... May one of our superstars locate u sharp sharp!
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by stephen109(m): 7:05am On Mar 01, 2018
kenodrill:

Nice rhyme bro.... May one of our superstars locate u sharp sharp!
Amen oo

1 Like

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by Nobody: 7:09am On Mar 01, 2018
Top 5 Countries with the Longest Commutes

5. Kenya – 1 hour and 20 minutes

How is it that the country that once had a 30 mile long traffic jam lasting 3 entire days only comes fifth on this list? According to Bloomberg, road infrastructure has failed to match Kenya’s rapid development, particularly in the capital, Nairobi, where $570,000 in productivity is lost due to traffic jams each day. Hopefully, these jams will be a thing of the past, as Kenya currently has multiple large-scale projects to address transport needs.

4. Hong Kong – 1 hour and 30 minutes

In Hong Kong, congestion, traffic and a recent surge in vehicle ownership leaves workers with an hour and a half long commute each day. However, the growing culture of cycling and bike sharing could make Hong Kong cleaner and less stressful for commuters.

3. India – 1 hour and 31 minutes

In 2011, two Indian cities, Bangalore and New Dehli were ranked among the top 10 worst cities on IBM’s commuter pain index. It looks like traffic in India hasn’t improved much since that survey was conducted.

2. United Arab Emirates – 1 hour and 36 minutes

With an average travel time of 96 minutes, it’s no wonder commuters in the UAE are stressed out. Most of the heaviest traffic comes from the UAE’s most populous city, Dubai, where there is estimated to be one car for every two residents.

1. Israel – 1 hour and 37 minutes

Our survey finds Israelis have the longest commute in the world at 1 hour and 37 minutes of travel time each day. Last year, a Smith Group poll conducted with Job Karov found that 73% of Israeli workers would change jobs and take a pay cut just for a shorter commute. An OECD report also found that Israel’s roads are 3.5 times more crowded than the OECD average. And, for Palestinians traveling through Israel with work permits, the commute is even longer, as waiting in checkpoints can take up to several hours each way.

1 Like

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:10am On Mar 01, 2018
Jakumo:

If said grass hut is in Sambisa Forest, I will advice you choose Lagos, Sir.
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by Mofe72: 7:10am On Mar 01, 2018
chukkystar:
Lagos will give U automatic high BP.. U wan go flex with ur money weekend sef, when U reason traffic U go just sit-down for house

My mood every weekend grin

2 Likes

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by free2ryhme: 7:16am On Mar 01, 2018
AutoJoshNIG:
I think some of us who live in Lagos state ought to change our postal addresses to read thus:

Omololu Njideka Ahmed
Lagos Traffic,
Lagos, Nigeria.

This might appear like an attempt at humour, but the reality upon us is that a great part of our lives spent living in Lagos is actually spent in traffic.

Indeed, millions of Lagosians spend more time in traffic than in their homes or workplaces!

Once-upon-a-time, yours truly departed Lekki Phase 1 for home. The time of departure was 4 pm. I got home, somewhere on the Mainland, sometime in the region of midnight. Note, that is just about the amount of time it takes to drive from Lagos to Accra, Ghana.

That is how brutal the legendary Lagos traffic could be.

Without realizing it, millions of Lagosians spend several months in a single year in traffic. That is, when hours are converted to days and months. And by this, I am not talking about Lagosians who eke a living in Lagos as commercial vehicle drivers.

Well, let me not bore you with tales. Let’s get down to do the maths. Perhaps that would illustrate how much of our lives we waste in Lagos traffic.

The Maths:

Now, let say that – on every weekday – you spend, say, 3 hours commuting in Lagos traffic, that means you spend 60 hours monthly (3hours x 5days x 4weeks) = 60hours.

60 hours converted to days is 2.5 days.

Multiply that by 12 months, what you get is 30 days.

Simply, if you spend 3 hours on weekdays commuting in Lagos, 30 days in a single year is what you spend in traffic.

So, if you spend more hours in Lagos traffic (going and returning from work), see below how many days or months in a year you spend in traffic below.

4 hours = 40 days

5 hours = 50 days.

6 hours = 60 days (2 months)

Note: (Anyone that spends more time beyond this point in traffic have absolutely no business not being a yellow cab, Uber or Taxify driver)

7 hours = 70 days.

8 hours = 80 days

9 hours = 90 days (3 months)

10 hours = 100 days

Surely, there is no way living this way cannot impact negatively on the Life Expectancy of a people.

So, how much time do you spend in traffic in a year?

https://autojosh.com/lagosians-see-much-time-spend-traffic-single-year/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

As if there is a choice

Traffic is a necessary evil that comes with growing cities

Go stay for your village if you dont want traffic

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by calberian: 7:17am On Mar 01, 2018
Cool stuff
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by Alejo01(m): 7:18am On Mar 01, 2018
Dem no dey worry o o

It is almost a normal thing.......

Govt is proactive these days..... Oshodi to Abuleegba will get a new lease of life if and when the new lane is completed...... I am impressed.... I when need to embrace train network.... That is the main solution to many of the traffic problems

1 Like

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by jashar(f): 7:21am On Mar 01, 2018
undecided

Why do you want people to become more distressed?

The Island traffic is just useless...

@ Jakumo. You have vex? cheesy grin. No vex o cheesy
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by gbegemaster(m): 7:22am On Mar 01, 2018
Never again
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by maestroz: 7:25am On Mar 01, 2018
phayvoursky:
I HARDLY EXPERIENCE TRAFFIC THESE DAYS.

IF YOU DO LIKE ME, NA UR WAHALA BE THAT.

I LIVE AT BADAGRY. DAILY I LIVE MY HOUSE BY 3:30 AM HEADING FOR APAPA AND BEFORE 6 I'M AT MY DESTINATION.

AT THE CLOSE OF WORK I WAIT TILL 9PM BEFORE I HEAD FOR HOME JUST AND I GET HOME BETWEEN 11:30 PM AT MOST 12 AM.

BUT I HAVE TO SACRIFICE MY SLEEP. WETIN MAN GO DO NA?

MANY CARS OWNERS LIVING WITHIN THAT AXIS HAVE THEIR CARS PARKED IN THEIR GARAGE. ITS TOUGH BEEN A LAGOSIAN BUT LAGOS IS FOR TOUGH PEOPLE.

Na Cotonou you dey live bro

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unidentified Man Killed After Being Knocked Down By Car In Rivers State. Photos / 13 Killed In Ghastly Motor Accident In Katsina / First Time On A Plane Where Did You Travel To?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.