Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,235 members, 7,853,209 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 12:37 PM

10 Tough Lessons You Need To Learn About Becoming An Entrepreneur - Amanda Slavi - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 10 Tough Lessons You Need To Learn About Becoming An Entrepreneur - Amanda Slavi (324 Views)

Two Lessons You Have To Unlearn If You Want To Be Rich / Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It / 10 Things No One Will Tell You About Being An Entrepreneur (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

10 Tough Lessons You Need To Learn About Becoming An Entrepreneur - Amanda Slavi by Manfabulous7(m): 1:03pm On Mar 01, 2018
Courtesy of Amanda Slavin: Founder & CEO of CatalystCreativ
There are a lot of awesome things about going to work for yourself. You make your own schedule, you get to work from anywhere, you can decide who you work with and what projects you take on, you get to create a culture that is in line with your core beliefs and most importantly you get to put something in the world that is a product of you.

Before taking the jump, I tell people a few things that I have learned and am consistently learning every day. While I try to do these things, there are still days where I forget to eat until 3 p.m. and have to call a "lifeline" for advice and support. But these are the most valuable lessons I've learned so far:

1. Take some time to just think about what you want for your life. I don't mean your 800 new awesome business ideas, I mean your life. What does your ideal life look like? What are your priorities? What is important to you? How much money do you need to make in order to make that happen? While it's great to have mentors and guidance, it's useless if you don't have a foundation to be anchored to. If you don't know what you want for yourself, then I don't think you should be putting anything out there in the world until you do. The world of entrepreneurship is becoming an integral part of our economy, it is not a science experiment. Don't just create because you like the idea of something. Find a need in the world, match your gift to it and then create.

2. Find a wellness-related, consistent hobby in your life that is not work related. Meditate, surf, soul cycle, walk outside, do yoga, whatever you want, but make sure you are doing something that is connecting you to you and to your body. I love to work, and had to find a time in my day to do something for me. It is not healthy to always be on. As an entrepreneur, you are always grinding, always on. You are doing interviews, pitches, advising, consulting, having to be a good boss, close rounds, create business plans, and oh yeah, also have a life "outside of work." When you are your work, and your work is your life, if you don't have a sacred moment for just you, you will lose yourself.

3. Create a trusted network of people to go to when you need advice. Once you decide what you want to create in the world and have taken the time for yourself, choose a handful of people whom you can call in case you feel like your world is crumbling and no one can possibly understand what you're going through. These individuals should not all be on the same level as you successfully. They do not have to be people on your advisory board. They are lifelines. Choose people who are either on the same page as you success-wise, one step ahead or 20 years ahead, do not turn to people for advice that have not started a successful company. Anyone can be an entrepreneur, but not everyone is a successful entrepreneur. Surround yourself with people who know what you're going through because they have overcome it themselves.

4. Stop talking about work. When I'm... continue reading.. http://www.manfabulousblog.com/2018/03/10-tough-lessons-you-need-to-learn-about-becoming-an-entreprenuer.html

Re: 10 Tough Lessons You Need To Learn About Becoming An Entrepreneur - Amanda Slavi by manmidtexy(m): 2:09pm On Mar 01, 2018
very informative.

(1) (Reply)

MTN Foundation To Partner Feyrep For Service Delivery / Alvin Toffler: A Theorist That Helped Drive China's Technological Revolution / Original Sunglasses Bluetooth And Hannah Marthin Brand Luxury Sports Chronograph

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.