Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,976 members, 7,952,925 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:29 AM

How Senegal Lost Manchester City Forward To Germany - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / How Senegal Lost Manchester City Forward To Germany (779 Views)

Manchester City Forward Erling Haaland Wins Premier League Golden Boot / Tokyo2020 Male Basketball: Nigeria Loses To Germany 92 - 99 / UCL Draw; Which Game Are You Looking Forward To Most? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Senegal Lost Manchester City Forward To Germany by Noccerino(m): 11:51am On Mar 04, 2018
Leroy Sane was eligible to represent either Germany, Senegal or France.

Manchester City forward Leroy Sane is now a German international, here is how the Teranga Lions of Senegal lost him.

Leroy’s father Souleymane Sané played for Senegal as a striker between 1990 to 1997, and made a total of 55 appearances for the Teranga Lions.

He revealed that the Senegal Football Federation could not convince his son to play for them, as there was no meeting arranged.

Many Senegalese supporters have label Souleymane unpatriotic, as he was a former captain of the Teranga Lions.

Leroy Sane could have followed the footsteps of his father Souleymane, however the Ex-Freiburg forward stated that there was no approach for the Senegalese for Leroy.

He said, “Senegal FA officials knew very well that my kids were playing football. My son and I were never contacted by the FA or the team’s coach."

He also stated that even though Leroy elected to represent Germany, there was an approach from France.

“Unlike Germany and France, Senegal never showed any interest in my son.” Souleymane said

Now 57-year-old Souleymane stated that if the Senegalese football body contacted him, he would have arranged a meeting to talk to his son.

He said, “Senegal FA officials knew very well that my kids were playing football. My son and I were never contacted by the FA or the team’s coach.”

Manchester City forward Leroy Sane could have played for Senegal instead of Germany.
Souleymane revealed how he chose to represent Senegal ahead of France, as he stated that during his time, the head coach of Senegal Claude Leroy and FA President late Oumar Seck visited him in Germany.

He said, “But the president of Senegal FA at that time, late Oumar Seck, and the coach Claude Leroy, came to visit me in Germany for talks. Upon the request of my father, I accepted to join Senegal.”

“I was on the verge of joining France because Michel Platini had contacted me a week earlier and wanted me to get set. The advantage France FA had at that time no African FA had it but I opted to play for Senegal,” He continued.

Senegal had the opportunity to try convince Leroy while still turned out for the German under 19 and 21 sides, but having made his international debut for Germany in a competitive game, he is ineligible to play for Senegal.

(1) (Reply)

Footballer Left Fighting For His Life After Being Struck By LIGHTNING During Mat / EFL Award Winnners / Klopp: Bayern Munich Move Would've Been Complicated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.