Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,223 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

My Contract With Lagosians’ - Fashola ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Contract With Lagosians’ - Fashola ! (533 Views)

Photos From Gov. Fashola's May 1 Workers Day Celebration With Lagosians / Jonathan Distributed Dollars To Lagosians - Fashola / Lagos Fire: Buhari Writes Fashola, Sympathises With Lagosians. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Contract With Lagosians’ - Fashola ! by wales(m): 8:53am On Apr 28, 2010
Democracy holds the answer to humanity’s problems, declared Babatunde Fashola, the Lagos State governor, at the annual Harvard University programme, Africa Focus - a two-week event dedicated to raising awareness about the African continent.

Mr. Fashola, the keynote speaker at the Harvard Kennedy School session tagged ‘Transforming Lagos State: A Conversation with Governor Babatunde Fashola,’ attributed his success to a feasible developmental plan, public support, an inspired public service, and the co-operation of other arms of government.

Making the best use of democratic platform

Though democracy offers the best platform to solving humanity’s numerous problems, Mr. Fashola said “the best way to seize the opportunity offered by democracy is to prepare for it and plan to use it for only the purpose of public good.” He explained that he never resigned from office to contest the gubernatorial election until he knew what he wanted to achieve during his administration. The plan he drafted then is now the state’s 10-point agenda.

“But in all, from the document I wrote, which became an Article of Faith that I titled ‘My Contract with Lagosians’, I explained at every opportunity what I intended to do and what the obligations of citizens would be in terms of support, payment of taxes, obedience of laws, maintenance of peace, and the promise of what lay ahead,” he said, while explaining his journey on the road to the greatly contested state governor’s office.

Wining the public trust

While explaining how he endeared himself to the populace, he said, “We made ourselves accessible to the public by publishing our email addresses and telephone numbers in the newspapers, and responded as best as we could to complaints and suggestions.” For the public trust to be upheld, Mr. Fashola said the government must be bound by his word and pursue the general interest of the people.

“In the pursuit of public good, all our individual needs are met and secured,” therefore, “we resolved to keep promises and deadlines we made to the public whatever it took and at the earliest awareness that it would not be feasible, we went back to them to notify and explain why. Our word was our bond.”

Capable and dedicated team

For people to enjoy the gains of democracy, the public service must be dedicated and knowledgeable. This, according to Mr. Fashola, was why most of his cabinet members are members of his predecessor’s cabinet, with whom he had developed cordial relationships.

“This was intended to help us start quickly, using the experience of the old hands while the new ones acquainted themselves with the nuances, culture and communication skills of the public service, which are quite different from what obtained in the private sector,” he said.

“We sought knowledge and best practices from every part of the world, sent people to value adding trainings and tours,” Mr. Fashola said, while emphasising the principle that every democratic processes should follow.

Though he did not refer to them as his distinguishing traits, Mr. Fashola admitted that his ability is enhanced by “wide reading and personal contacts” with some of the world’s famous city managers and transformation experts such as Rudolph Guiliani and Lee Kwan Yew.

“I went to those places, not as a tourist but as a city manager, looking to see what I could learn, trying to relate what I had read in those books with what I saw,” he said.

Reaching for the star

Mr. Fashola said he has no concern about people’s perception about Lagos. “Those who continue to refuse to see the positives in Lagos will be left behind. The future of our planet will depend on what happens on the African Continent,” said Mr. Fashola who dreams of Lagos as Africa’s model megacity.

And he will not take credit yet for the successes recorded so far when he declared: “I wish to say that I have heard people speak about a success story in Lagos, but the truth is that the Lagos I dream of still lies ahead. As I said earlier, it is not a finished article. Indeed, it is just beginning. But my optimism that it is achievable is fired by the enormous belief and support of our people, which inspires me to no end.”

Link:

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5556514-147/my_contract_with_lagosians__.csp

(1) (Reply)

Stop Yerima Now! Imagine She Is Your Daughter / Nigerian Police Killings In Ajegunle, Lagos / Youths Can Rule Nigeria, Obj Counters Ibb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.