Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

Act Of Insolence: Teenage Marriage, Former Governor Married To A 13 Yr Old Girl - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Act Of Insolence: Teenage Marriage, Former Governor Married To A 13 Yr Old Girl (1083 Views)

How Many Ladies Can Act Like This Lady If They Catch Their Husbands Cheating? / He Raped Me, Now Getting Married To My Best Friend... / Photos: The Girl Who Got Married To A Portrait Finally Replied Linda Ikeji (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Act Of Insolence: Teenage Marriage, Former Governor Married To A 13 Yr Old Girl by babsmii(m): 9:00am On Apr 28, 2010
PUBLIC outcry against the recent marriage of a 13-year-old Egyptian girl by the former governor of Zamfara State, Senator Ahmed Sani Yerima heightened on Tuesday with Women Civil Society groups threatening mass action against Yerima.

The threat by the women groups came on the heels of a call by the National Human Rights Commission on the Senate to investigate Yerima over allegations that he violated Section 21 of the Child Rights Act 2003 by his marriage to the Egyptian girl.

In a letter dated April 21, 2010, the Commission said its attention was drawn to media reports on the marriage contracted between the Senator and the Egyptian minor at the National Mosque a few weeks ago.

The commission said these allegations, if proved to be true, were in violation of Section 21 of the Child Rights Act 2003 which stipulates a five year jail term or a fine of N500,000 or both on conviction.

The women groups threatened to sit outside the National Assembly complex in Abuja until the Senator is sanctioned by his fellow lawmakers.

Also, they threatened to seek legal redress on behalf of the girl and others who have been victims of such actions.

President of the Medical Women Association of Nigeria, Dr. Mma Wokocha, who led the coalition of women groups to the Senate called for an immediate action to stop the Yerima’s marriage which she called an act of child abuse.

According to Wokocha, “The outcome of this problem is disastrous to the affected little girl. A little at 13, 15 or 17 even the 18 years old depending on the kind of maturity the child has, witnesses some have stunted in growth.

“The pelvic, the female organ of this little one is never mature; never ready for the duty naturally she has to perform, which is reproduction.

“When you marry them out at this early stage, is it because it is viewed as a commodity that can easily dispose of and a new one acquired.

Responding to these allegations, Senate Spokesman, Senator Ayogu Eze said the Senate as an institution does not meddle in the personal affairs of individual members.

“My advice to those who feel so strongly about this issue is for them to go to Court. If they feel a law has been breached, they should go to Court; that is what the Courts are for, we make laws here we are not law enforcement agents,” he said.
Re: Act Of Insolence: Teenage Marriage, Former Governor Married To A 13 Yr Old Girl by babsmii(m): 9:02am On Apr 28, 2010
source:: http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201004286103076
Re: Act Of Insolence: Teenage Marriage, Former Governor Married To A 13 Yr Old Girl by Sissy3(f): 9:11am On Apr 28, 2010
The commission said these allegations, if proved to be true, were in violation of Section 21 of the Child Rights Act 2003 which stipulates a five year jail term or a fine of N500,000 or both on conviction.

what's still there to prove? i wonder after all this conviction, {that's if he doesn't bribe his way out} whether the little girl will be returned to her place to enjoy her childhood if only her money hungry parents wouldn't resell her

i love this women, let them continue fighting cause this old cargo should certainly have no business with a 13yr old
Re: Act Of Insolence: Teenage Marriage, Former Governor Married To A 13 Yr Old Girl by babsmii(m): 9:24am On Apr 28, 2010
exactly,
and i hope it won't result to this kinda death that happened recently in Yemen, link below

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-427777.0.html
Re: Act Of Insolence: Teenage Marriage, Former Governor Married To A 13 Yr Old Girl by nikinash(f): 9:40am On Apr 28, 2010
How can the penalty be N500,000? Someone who paid N15million abi how much for the little girl? It is sad that the ceremony could not hold in Egypt because their law forbids it yet in Nigeria where there's also a law`against it, they carried on as if nothing would happen. Truly sad for Nigeria.
Re: Act Of Insolence: Teenage Marriage, Former Governor Married To A 13 Yr Old Girl by jumie(f): 9:59am On Apr 28, 2010
This is a shame.

I think the girl should be repatriated back to her country. Her entire family should be punished for this.

(1) (Reply)

Do You Use Abusive Words On Your Kids / Five-year-old Boy Opts To Become A Girl / Husbands Is Now Wife Help!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.