Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos (28016 Views)

VIDEO: Benue Fake Facebook Millionaire Turns 'agbero', Attempts To Hijack Moving / Here You Can Get The Best Service Of Garage Door Repair In Pacoima / 3 Facts About Workplace Productivity You Must Know: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by AutoJoshNG: 10:02am On Mar 06, 2018

If you don’t know what an Agbero is, just take a bus to Oshodi or Mushin bus stop. Then look out for one black guy with red eyes with stitches on his face and a neatly wrapped smoking white paper in between his two fingers.. Ask him who an Agbero is, but don’t tell him I sent you.

In as much as you may not like to see them, you surely  have to respect yourself around them. They torment the bus drivers, Okada riders and traders to the extent that they even torment themselves.

Out of curiosity, I made some enquiries about area boys and some of the findings are highlighted below.

1. Some earn more than bank workers:

Some executive Agberos earn as much as  some bank executives. Also, some of the lower level agberos earn more than some contract staff of banks. However, they don’t have much to show for it as they typically spend most of  their earnings  on “Orisirisi” meat, women and other mundane interest. At Bukas and restaurants, a typical order by them  is “Madam, give me N50 Amala and N2,500 meat”.

2. The police is their friend:

If you think the police is your friend, then try report an Agbero to them. The matter may just turn on your head. You know why? Some of the "men in black" are on the payroll of Agberos. They even have specific days and time they go to their parks to collect their usual “Roger”.

3. They run shifts and have off-days:

Surprisingly,  these guys maintain a time-table like factory workers, and they stick to it. They don’t go to work on their off-days.

4. They live far from their place of work:

You would think every Agbero’s house is just a stone throw from the park or bus stops that they operate from. But on the contrary, many of them commute a long way to work. I encountered one who leaves around Ikotun but works in Surulere. The funny thing is, they get to work early. Sometimes as early as 5 AM.

5. They always have injury marks and stitches:

That’s their trademark and they boast about it. It reminds them of their escapades of how many bottles they have bursted.

6. Most of them were Mechanics:

Most of them were mechanics before they changed occupation. I remember a mechanic in my area while growing up. He was lazy and could not cope with the job. He quickly converted to an okada rider and later metamorphosed into a full blown area boy.

7. They have informants:

They are always the first to know anything happening in the area. Your neighbor might even be their snitch. You can’t even sneak a truck of sand into your house without them showing up.

8. Most of them die trying to get rich:

They keep trying but it is obviously more blessed to give than to receive. They are limited to just collect without adding value. To make matters worse, bulk of that money is cursed money and it vaporises into thin air like a candle in the wind. However, a few eventually get rich and even get traditional titles or political appointments.

Let’s hear from you in the comment section and don’t forget to mention what you like or dislike about area boys.

image from thesheet.ng

https://autojosh.com/8-facts-agbero-area-boys-lagos/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by Mynd44: 10:11am On Mar 06, 2018
Garage boys not area boys

Area boys are mostly street urchins and are mostly unemployed.

Garage boys (agberos) are either in the employment of the NURTW or the RTEAN which is why amist the seeming madness, there is a semblance of order.

They also get suspended, fired and punished by their bosses

124 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by ceononi: 10:12am On Mar 06, 2018
9.They don't steal but when you lose a thing they always know someone that knows someone that will get you back what you lost. grin

199 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by Aspiregreat: 10:12am On Mar 06, 2018
FACT -They are brutal,mean, extortioners, collect free money, bullies people and are mostly from the west .

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by Brymo: 10:12am On Mar 06, 2018
Poverty is like punishment for a crime you didn't commit." "In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." "An imbalance between rich and poor is the oldest and most fatal ailment of all republics
Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity.
To me, a faith in Jesus Christ that is not aligned with the poor...it's nothing

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by lonelydora: 10:12am On Mar 06, 2018
9. If you are a girl and want good and long sex, meet an agbero.

That was how Tamuno came complaining to us that his girlfriend, LeeBari, is flirting with Mike who controls Eleme junction pit. We advised him to up his game. Sadly, he couldn't meet up with his gfs sexual demands because Mike consistently raised the bar for him. He finally lost LeeBari to Mike.

27 Likes

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by NwaAmaikpe: 10:12am On Mar 06, 2018
shocked

I like area boys or garage boys or omo-niiles or whatever you choose to call them.
Because without them, there will be no Lagos.

They are the only reason Lagos has the saying,
"Eko o ni baje o"

Eradicate them and nothing can spoil Lagos.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by jerryunit48: 10:12am On Mar 06, 2018
Dem plenty for Benin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by axglide(m): 10:13am On Mar 06, 2018
Broda Shaggi

17 Likes

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by kabrud: 10:13am On Mar 06, 2018
cheesy
Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by agadez007(m): 10:13am On Mar 06, 2018
And they dont speak Any English,Always Shouting "Ah Emi,Ha Emi"

42 Likes

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by simonlee(m): 10:13am On Mar 06, 2018
Who's this snitching on us??

Make i catch you for park... you go see yourself!

25 Likes

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by devigblegble: 10:13am On Mar 06, 2018
Lol
Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by medolab90(m): 10:14am On Mar 06, 2018
[/b]9. Lagos has the highest population of agberos in the world [b]

7 Likes

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by JoNach: 10:14am On Mar 06, 2018
the sole of thier canvass has opened at the mouth

6 Likes

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by chuks34(m): 10:14am On Mar 06, 2018
Garage boys na formings, leave am as area boys or agboro

6 Likes

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by Nobody: 10:15am On Mar 06, 2018
grin grin first fact is funny.

4 Likes

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by Odioko1(m): 10:15am On Mar 06, 2018
Lol
Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by Mynd44: 10:15am On Mar 06, 2018
agadez007:
And they dont speak Any English,Always Shouting "Ah Emi,Ha Emi"
They always have a secretary (Akowe) who is a graduate to record events, money and make schedules.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by mayyorr01(m): 10:16am On Mar 06, 2018
grin grin don't Bleep with those people abeg....respect ursef

2 Likes

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by seguno2: 10:16am On Mar 06, 2018
Aspiregreat:
FACT -They are mostly from the west

Are you saying that there are no garages for commercial transport and they don’t have people working there
Ayam not understanding!

6 Likes

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by marvin906(m): 10:16am On Mar 06, 2018
no 1
just made me remember 1 agbero in Benin cant remember hes name sha...
buh that dude celebrated having 1 billion naira in hes account grin grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by Naijaphobia(m): 10:16am On Mar 06, 2018
Ops! Please how can I become and Agbero since my Bsc isn't making things happen? Everyday I see the Oluomos, Olorunwas, Hamburgers(RIP) and Saulas(RIP) riding the best of cars, women, boys, power and chieftaincy titles.
It seems job applications there may be a lot easier and since the popular saying 'Police is your Friend' applies to the Agberos alone am loving this job.

12 Likes

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by passyhansome(m): 10:17am On Mar 06, 2018
9. Yoruba has the highest population of Agbero all over the World.

10 Likes

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by MorataFC: 10:17am On Mar 06, 2018
Woju oh

1 Like

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by Ussy4real(m): 10:17am On Mar 06, 2018
Evil and lazy men walking the street extorting innocent people in the name of agberos .. God will definitely punish them. If not for this shithole we find ourselves all this nonsense will not exist

3 Likes

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by nairavsdollars(f): 10:17am On Mar 06, 2018
Some of them are graduates and many of them also have access to top politicians

8 Likes

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by RexEmmyGee: 10:17am On Mar 06, 2018
They can die for their members matter.
That's what keep them united

5 Likes

Re: 8 Facts About Agbero (Garage Boys) In Lagos by timilehin95(m): 10:18am On Mar 06, 2018
Aspiregreat:
FACT -They are brutal,mean, extortioners, collect free money, bullies mostly from the west .
The west must have really tormented ur generations shocked

23 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Do You Want Fantastic Achievements This Year? Stop Doing These Things / See An Unimaginable Way A School Teacher Gets Additional Income. / My Horrible Experience At A Military Event

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.