Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:32 AM

Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS (60830 Views)

Timothy Ray Brown Dies Of Cancer (First Man Cured Of HIV) / World AIDS Day: African Countries With The Highest Number Of HIV/AIDS Patients / I Slept With 180 Prostitutes In 4 Years: Are These Signs & Symptoms Of HIV? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by fadayopaul(m): 2:17pm On Mar 06, 2018
Timothy Ray Brown (born 1966) is an American considered to be the first person cured of HIV/AIDS.
Brown was diagnosed with HIV in 1995 while studying in Berlin, Germany, giving him the nickname The Berlin Patient.

In 2007, Brown, who was HIV positive, underwent a procedure known as hematopoietic stem cell transplantation to treat leukemia (performed by a team of doctors in Berlin, Germany, including Gero Hütter). From 60 matching donors, they selected a [CCR5]-Δ32 homozygous individual with two genetic copies of a rare variant of a cell surface receptor. This genetic trait confers resistance to HIV infection by blocking attachment of HIV to the cell. Roughly 10% of people of European ancestry have this inherited mutation, but it is rarer in other populations.

The transplant was repeated a year later after a leukemia relapse. Over the three years after the initial transplant, and despite discontinuing antiretroviral therapy, researchers could not detect HIV in Brown's blood or in various biopsies.

Levels of HIV-specific antibodies in Timothy Brown's blood also declined, suggesting that functional HIV may have been eliminated from his body. However, scientists studying his case warn that this remission of HIV infection is unusual.

Brown, the "Berlin patient", suffered from graft-versus-host disease and leukoencephalopathy – both transplant complications that are potentially fatal. This means that the procedure should not be performed on others with HIV, even if sufficient numbers of suitable donors could be found.

In fact, there is now some doubt that Timothy Brown's apparent cure was due to the unusual nature of the stem cells he received. The graft-versus-host disease Brown suffered from could have been what eliminated the HIV virus from his system.

As of 2017, six more people also appear to have been cleared of HIV after getting graft-versus-host disease; only one of them had received CCR5 mutant stem cells, so it appears that when a transplant recipient has graft-versus-host disease the transplanted cells may kill off the host's HIV-infected immune cells.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Ray_Brown

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by Appetizer(m): 3:02pm On Mar 06, 2018
Its so sad the world doesn't regard Africa in terms of progress

Truth is we have seen similar PROVED cases in Africa

Call it miracle, call it black magic, call it voodoo its has happened

But nobody cares about what goes down some shit hole country

175 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by NwaAmaikpe: 3:02pm On Mar 06, 2018
shocked

He isn't the first.
God has cured many.
God will still cure many more.

I am also certain that it is God who cured him.

367 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by Angelb4: 3:02pm On Mar 06, 2018
Today, HIV cure has been found. Tomorrow, no cure for HIV. Abeg make una let person hear word.

51 Likes

Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by anjowaka510(m): 3:02pm On Mar 06, 2018
J
Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by Thermodynamics(m): 3:03pm On Mar 06, 2018
How do we know he was permanently cured, heard of a guy who was cured of HIV but later became sick of this same same illness two years later.
Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by Nobody: 3:03pm On Mar 06, 2018
Dont be deceived

1 Like

Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by Daviddson(m): 3:03pm On Mar 06, 2018
There's a lot of conspiracy in the treatment of AIDS just like in cancer, where the American medical cabal have made sure that no tentative cure is found to keep their yearly multi billion dollars chemotherapy business afloat.

MODIFIED: For those of you quoting me amiss please learn how to read in between the lines. What I'm saying is that there's already a cure, but they're being surpressed...

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by laivwire(m): 3:03pm On Mar 06, 2018
Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by simonlee(m): 3:03pm On Mar 06, 2018
Who else thinks Rochas Okorocha should build him a statue? grin grin

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by bebiee(f): 3:03pm On Mar 06, 2018
Wow

1 Like

Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by olylove: 3:03pm On Mar 06, 2018
U don't mean it
Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by Olujoe1(m): 3:03pm On Mar 06, 2018
No be only first na last man

When many cases of HIV has been resolved here Africa, some set of albinos are there trying to make glory out of nothing.

still Mr Brown looks emaciated I doubt the total curation. Mrs Brown if he has should be aware

2 Likes

Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by passyhansome(m): 3:04pm On Mar 06, 2018
Churches have been curing HIV since Adam. Even my man of God RPN.

1 Like

Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by Ana234(f): 3:04pm On Mar 06, 2018
Wow
Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by jashar(f): 3:04pm On Mar 06, 2018
hmmm....
Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by nairavsdollars(f): 3:04pm On Mar 06, 2018
Lies. Jeremiah Abalaka, a Nigerian is the first to cure people of HIV but he was frustrated

10 Likes

Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by Nobody: 3:05pm On Mar 06, 2018
The word 'considered' leaves it opened for a debate. Doesn't state so in certainty.
Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by voicelez: 3:08pm On Mar 06, 2018
That means there is hope for our Nigerian oloshos
Meanwhile stay safe, play safe or better still masturbate
AIDS is something you will not wish your worst enemy
For those who already have it, if there is life there is hope and take your treatment regularly
If you don't have it yet play safe, don't believe your pastor will cure you when you contact it
Play safe, HIV/AIDS is Real

9 Likes

Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by Nomipmex(m): 3:08pm On Mar 06, 2018
Northern ppl shud be happy 4 this gud news.

1 Like

Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by KrystosCJ(m): 3:09pm On Mar 06, 2018
AIDS is really bad.

Remember when we went to visit a sick woman who was one of our adoptees in Saint Vincent de Paul at FUTO - most of us didn't know she was HIV+. I knew. Later on, when most of those that visited found out they shouted at the execs, one of the girls screaming, "Do you want me to die young? You knew she was HIV+ and yet you didn't say anything when I touched her or cooked food for her"..

So much for charity..

But which one is HIV= ??

2 Likes

Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by seyizma(m): 3:10pm On Mar 06, 2018
O ya let go demolish the f*cking pvssy
Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by Nobody: 3:10pm On Mar 06, 2018
Brown, the "Berlin patient", suffered from graft-versus-host disease and leukoencephalopathy – both transplant complications that are potentially fatal. This means that the procedure should not be performed on others with HIV, even if sufficient numbers of suitable donors could be found.[9][10] In fact, there is now some doubt that Timothy Brown's apparent cure was due to the unusual nature of the stem cells he received. The graft-versus-host disease Brown suffered from could have been what eliminated the HIV virus from his system.

As of 2017, six more people also appear to have been cleared of HIV after getting graft-versus-host disease; only one of them had received CCR5 mutant stem cells, so it appears that when a transplant recipient has graft-versus-host disease the transplanted cells may kill off the host's HIV-infected immune cells

Source: Wikipedia.

Daviddson:
The AID treatment business is a conspiracy just like the cancer business industry where the American medical cabal have made sure that no tentative cure is found to keep their yearly multi billion dollars chemotherapy business afloat.

MODIFIED: For those of you quoting me amiss please learn how to read between the lines. What I'm saying is that there's already a cure, but they're been surpressed so that AID victims could continue to pay exorbitant treatment fees CONTINUOUSLY.

I am quoting you twice to tell you that antiretrovirals are FREE OF CHARGE here in Nigeria.You don't pay for them please.

Don't deceive people here.

3 Likes

Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by Nobody: 3:10pm On Mar 06, 2018
HIV is not the problem, AIDS is.

And HIV is not the only cause of AIDS, there are other causes too.

2 Likes

Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by NaijaMutant(f): 3:10pm On Mar 06, 2018
Lucky him tongue
Re: Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS by Tex42(m): 3:10pm On Mar 06, 2018
bebiee:
Wow
e sweet am...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Doctors Say Coronavirus Can Spread Through Farts / Python Bites Man's Dick As He Sits On The Toilet In Thailand (Graphic Throwback) / My Fiancée Just Took Her Own Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.