Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,155 members, 7,852,946 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 08:53 AM

Proceedings Of The Nigerian Senate Of Tuesday, 6th March, 2018 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Proceedings Of The Nigerian Senate Of Tuesday, 6th March, 2018 (335 Views)

Buhari’s Ability To Speak English Dominate Tribunal’s Proceedings / FHC Cannot Stop Or Stay Proceedings Of The CCT - Justice Onnoghen 5th Feb, 2016 / Oby Ezekwesili Blasts NASS: "Senate Of Scandals, Fat Allowances, Tragi-Comedian" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Proceedings Of The Nigerian Senate Of Tuesday, 6th March, 2018 by actiondrilling: 3:31pm On Mar 06, 2018
Welcome to a new Legislative Day in the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria!

Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu , led the Principal Officers into the chambers; took the official prayers; and began the day’s proceedings at 10:49am.

Senator Abdulaziz Nyako moved for the approval of votes and proceedings of Thursday, 1st March, 2018. Senator Jonah David Jang seconded.

PETITIONS

Senator Obinna Ogba raised a petition on behalf of a constituency member against an agency for non payment of his retirement benefit.

Senator Ahmed Ogembe raised a petition on behalf of the Ebira people of Kogi State on a tribunal judgement that was not implemented.

Senator Ibrahim Gobir also raised a petition on behalf of a constituency member.

Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu referred the petitions to the committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions to report back in 4 weeks.

PRESENTATION OF A BILL- First Reading
Energy Commission Act (Amendment) Bill, 2018 (HB. 72 and 446) by Senate Leader.

Energy Commission Act (Amendment) Bill, 2018 (HB. 72 and 446) was read the First Time

PRESENTATION AND CONSIDERATION OF A REPORT

Conference committee report on Nigerian Financial Intelligence Agency (Est, etc) Bill, 2018 (SB. 535) by Senator Chukwuka Utazi.

Senator Suleiman Adokwe seconded that the Senate do receive and consider the Conference committee report on Nigerian Financial Intelligence Agency (Est, etc) Bill, 2018 (SB. 535).

The Report was LAID.

“This is an important Bill and I am happy we have come to agreement with the House of Representatives. It is important we consider this report.”- Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu.

MOTIONS

The need to minimize the possibility of air mishaps and near fatalities in Nigeria by Senator Gbenga Ashafa.

“I support this important motion. I am of the opinion that we invite the Minister of Aviation to explain to us the state of the airport.”- Senator Chukwuka Utazi

“This is a serious issue and not a laughing matter. I fully support the suggestion of Senator Utazi and for the Minister of State to be invited as well.”- Senator James Manager

“I advice we declare an emergency on the airport situations.”- Senator Aliyu Sabi

“We should start a minute decision now and take drastic steps before we start observing a minute silence.”- Senator Abdulfatai Buhari

“It’s important this is investigated properly, Dana Airline should be suspended and properly checked. I support this motion.”- Senator Mao Ohuabunwa.

“Aviation Ministry is the most regulated ministry in Nigeria. However, the responsibility lies mostly with the pilot.”- Senator Stella Oduah.

“This shows that we should do something immediately on the aviation sector so that those who will fly in Nigeria will fly safely. I had a similar experience last month where the pilot missed the runway twice, it is also imperative we sort this once and for all.”- Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu.

Senate resolved to:

I. Direct the Honourable Minister of State for Transportation (Aviation) to appear before the Senate to give a full briefing on the steps that have been taken to minimize human errors and avoid preventable air crashes; and

II. Urge the Honourable Minister of State for Transportation (aviation) to immediately direct all relevant agencies in the aviation industry to immediately conduct a maintenance and airworthiness audit on all commercial aircraft operating within the Nigerian Airspace as well as the training of personnel operating within the industry.

Urgent need to repair and rehabilitate inter-state roads in Nigeria by Senator Chukwuka Utazi.

“I rise to support this motion due to its context. The state of our roads need more designs from the ministry and have guarantee from contractors for quality of work done.”- Senator Bassey Akpan

“Year in and out millions of money are being wasted on road construction which is not acceptable. We need to act and make good decisions.”- Senator Shehu Sani

“It is our responsibility to raise the issues of our people. As a parliament we would continue to fight for our people, sometimes we win and sometimes we lose but we won’t get tired of fighting. Every good road is an economic corridor.”- Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu

Senate resolved to:

I. Urge the Federal Government to ensure the rehabilitation and repair of inter-state roads in Nigeria in the 2018 fiscal year;

II. Mandate the committee on Works to investigate the award and execution of the Idah-Odolu-Nsukka-Adani-Otuocha-Onitsha federal road which has been in a state of total disrepair; and

III. Urge the Federal Roads Maintenance Agency (FERMA) to as an interim measure, begin immediate repair of the bad portions of the Idah-Odolu-Nsukka-Adani-Otuocha-Onitsha federal road to make it motorable pending when full rehabilitation works can commence.

Alarming maternal and infant mortality rate in Nigeria by Senator Ahmed Ogembe.

“I support this motion. This issue is about fund and also to raise the awareness for environmental cleanliness.”- Senator Mao Ohuabunwa

“I rise to support this motion by commending the sponsor and I urge my Distinguished colleagues to also do so.”- Senator Gbenga Ashafa.

“The maternal and infant mortality rate in Nigeria is very worrisome, we have to maintain our population. If we allow our mothers and children die then our population would drop drastically. The earlier we address this, the better for us.”- Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu

Senate resolved to:

Mandate the committees on Women Affairs and Health to liaise with the Federal Ministers of Women Affairs and Health on ways to curb maternal, newborn and infant mortality in Nigeria and report back to the Senate.

Urgent need to stop increasing rate of child labour, molestation and abuse in Nigeria by Senator Benjamin Uwajumogu.

“I rise to support this motion, this is so because children are not well protected as they ought to.”- Senator Bassey Akpan

“This motion is obvious and patriotic, I support this motion.”- Senator T. A Orji.

“We have laid down rules, our problem is not setting laws but the enforcement of these laws. Anyone who faults the laws and orders should be punished. Abuse on a child affects the growth of that child.”- Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu

Senate resolved to:

I. Urge the security agencies and Ministry of Woman Affairs to put modalities in place to arrest this war against the right of children;

II. Call on the members of the Senate committee on Women Affairs and Judiciary to investigate the viral trend and report back to the Senate in 2 weeks; and

III. Urge the Federal, state and local government to provide quality and affordable education.

Urgent need to initiate proceedings for the release of certificates and mobilization of graduates of the Federal College of Education, Pankshin, Plateau State to participate in the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) programme by Senator Jonah Jang.

Senator Jeremiah Useni seconded and supported the motion on the urgent need to initiate proceedings for the release of certificates and mobilization of graduates of the Federal College of Education, Pankshin, Plateau State to participate in the National Youth Service Corps programme.

“This matter calls for investigation, we cannot go into resolutions without being certain of what is going on.”- Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu.

Senate resolved to:

Mandate the committee on Tertiary Education and TETFUND to investigate this matter and report back to the Senate in 2 weeks

ADJOURNMENT

Senate Leader moved that all other items on the order paper be stood down to another Legislative day. Minority Leader seconded.

Plenary is adjourned to Wednesday, 7th March, 2018.

#GavelBangs.

Signed:

New Media Department,

Office of the President of the Senate,

Federal Republic of Nigeria.

http://www.akelicious.com/2018/03/proceedings-of-nigerian-senate-of.html

(1) (Reply)

I Hope Buhari Will Return From Ghana With Nnamdi Kanu / Know Your Senators And The Parties Under Which They Were Originally Elected / Trumps Fires Rex Tillerson After Visiting Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.