Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,849 members, 7,820,960 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:20 AM

Writing Yorùbá - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Writing Yorùbá (1961 Views)

Àwọn Ẹranko Li Èdè Yorùbá Pẹ̀lú Àwòrán / Ònkà - The ABC Of Yorùbá Numerals / The Accent Marks In The Yorùbá Language. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Writing Yorùbá by FeelDeMusic: 6:50pm On Mar 06, 2018
Hello!

I just wanted to express my thoughts on how people write Yorùbá words, and why they never use the correct accent marks or special characters when doing so.

Although I'm not a native of Nigeria, nor am I a Yorùbá speaker, I do adore language and, when learning a new one, I always make sure that I'm writing and reading it correctly. Unfortunately, when trying to learn and read Yorùbá, it becomes increasingly difficult to do so since, at least online, the language is not written properly at all by most people, without any accent marks to deduce tones, or any special characters, such as the ẹ, or "eh", the ọ, or "aw", or the Ṣ, or "shi". Without these characters or accent marks to identify tones of words and how they should be correctly pronounced, Yorùbá is impossible to read or comprehend!

What do you all think of this? Do you agree?

1 Like

Re: Writing Yorùbá by thunder74(m): 7:03pm On Mar 06, 2018
Where can we get Yoruba keyboard?

1 Like

Re: Writing Yorùbá by Thewesterner(m): 7:08pm On Mar 06, 2018
I agree 100%
Re: Writing Yorùbá by FeelDeMusic: 7:16pm On Mar 06, 2018
thunder74:
I've been asking that same question myself. Lets' hope Microsoft or Apple will come out with one someday... or let's start a change.org petition...... anything is possible!

1 Like

Re: Writing Yorùbá by FeelDeMusic: 7:17pm On Mar 06, 2018
Thewesterner:
I agree 100%
Thanks, glad you agree!
Re: Writing Yorùbá by Bamz(m): 7:50pm On Mar 06, 2018
Somehow native speakers can read without the accent marks. No doubt that it can become confusing sometimes.
Re: Writing Yorùbá by FeelDeMusic: 8:17pm On Mar 06, 2018
Bamz:
Somehow native speakers can read without the accent marks. No doubt that it can become confusing sometimes.
Hmmm, I've heard that. I wonder why? Perhaps because they are just that, fluent speakers? I'm not sure....
Re: Writing Yorùbá by thunder74(m): 5:44am On Mar 07, 2018
FeelDeMusic:

I've been asking that same question myself. Lets' hope Microsoft or Apple will come out with one someday... or let's start a change.org petition...... anything is possible!
I got one on play store. There are many Yorùbá keyboard there.

1 Like

Re: Writing Yorùbá by FeelDeMusic: 2:14pm On Mar 07, 2018
thunder74:

I got one on play store. There are many Yorùbá keyboard there.
Oh, cool! Well I've got an iPhone, so I'll look on the App Store for one.
Re: Writing Yorùbá by aremuforlife(m): 11:12am On Mar 10, 2018
The Yoruba calendar (Kojoda)

Yoruba also measure time in 7days a week & 4weeks a month. The traditional Yoruba week has 4days, the 4days calendar was dedicated to the Orisas and the 7day calendar is for doing business.

It go as follow:

Day 1 is dedicated to Obatala (Sopanna, Iyaami, and the Egungun)
Day 2 is dedicated to Orunmila (Esu and Osun) *
Day 3 is dedicated to Ogun (Osoosi)
Day 4 is dedicated to Sango (Oya)

The seven days are:

Ojo-Aiku (Sunday),

Oko-Aje (Monday),

Ojo-Ishegun (Tuesday),

Ojo-Riru (Wednesday),

Ojo-Bo/Alamisi (Thursday),

Ojo-Eti (Friday)

and

Ojo-Abameta (Saturday).

Time is measured in

isheju (minutes),
wakati (hours),
ojo (days),
ose (weeks),
oshu (months) and odun (years).

There are

60 (ogota) isheju in 1 (okan) wakati;
24 (merinlelogun) wakati in 1 ojo;
7 (meje) ojo in 1 ose;
4 (merin) ose in 1 oshu and
52 (ejileladota)ose in 1 (okan) odun.

There are 12 (mejila) oshu in 1 (okan) odun.

#YorubaChannel

1 Like

Re: Writing Yorùbá by FeelDeMusic: 8:54pm On Mar 10, 2018
aremuforlife:
The Yoruba calendar (Kojoda)

Yoruba also measure time in 7days a week & 4weeks a month. The traditional Yoruba week has 4days, the 4days calendar was dedicated to the Orisas and the 7day calendar is for doing business.

It go as follow:

Day 1 is dedicated to Obatala (Sopanna, Iyaami, and the Egungun)
Day 2 is dedicated to Orunmila (Esu and Osun) *
Day 3 is dedicated to Ogun (Osoosi)
Day 4 is dedicated to Sango (Oya)

The seven days are:

Ojo-Aiku (Sunday),

Oko-Aje (Monday),

Ojo-Ishegun (Tuesday),

Ojo-Riru (Wednesday),

Ojo-Bo/Alamisi (Thursday),

Ojo-Eti (Friday)

and

Ojo-Abameta (Saturday).

Time is measured in

isheju (minutes),
wakati (hours),
ojo (days),
ose (weeks),
oshu (months) and odun (years).

There are

60 (ogota) isheju in 1 (okan) wakati;
24 (merinlelogun) wakati in 1 ojo;
7 (meje) ojo in 1 ose;
4 (merin) ose in 1 oshu and
52 (ejileladota)ose in 1 (okan) odun.

There are 12 (mejila) oshu in 1 (okan) odun.

#YorubaChannel
Wow, this is awesome, thanks for sharing!

Though I don't want to derail the thread, I actually came up with my own Yoruba writing system yesterday along with a friend of mine! I'll explain more later as I don't want this post to be too long.....
Re: Writing Yorùbá by SoldierBoy1(m): 9:40am On Mar 13, 2018
thunder74:
Download SwiftKey keyboard on playstore, then download Yorùbá Keyboard...... If you activate both Yorùbá and English, the keyboard would help you put intonations when u type Yorùbá Though sometimes it does not get the intonation for some Words, but the thing try.....

1 Like

Re: Writing Yorùbá by SoldierBoy1(m): 9:42am On Mar 13, 2018
Where can we get Yoruba keyboard? [/quote]Download SwiftKey keyboard on playstore, then download Yorùbá Keyboard...... If you activate both Yorùbá and English, the keyboard would help you put intonations when u type Yorùbá Though sometimes it does not get the intonation for some Words, but the thing try.....
Re: Writing Yorùbá by Omartins365(m): 10:09am On Jun 08, 2020
Are you a copywriter, proofreader, interpreter, teacher, student or just someone who works in Yorùbá Language?

Translate those figures and numbers to words in standard Yoruba Language at YorubaNumeral.com at no cost. 

It also aids learning the yoruba numbering system by providing detailed explanation for each number translated up to 25 billion. 

You all should check this site out YorubaNumeral.com

Just input your desired number and get the translation immediately.

Saves you a lot effort especially if you need to do this frequently
Re: Writing Yorùbá by Fvcknames: 10:03pm On Aug 07, 2022
FeelDeMusic:

Hmmm, I've heard that. I wonder why? Perhaps because they are just that, fluent speakers? I'm not sure....
They get it from context.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ijaw Originating As European Ship Servants From Ghana, India , Indonesia Etc. / Opinion: Do You Support Giving Tribal Mark To Your Children(picture) / Oba Of Benin Oba Akenzua 11 And Queen Elizabeth 11 Shaking Hands

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.