Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

Dariye Impeachment Cancelled - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dariye Impeachment Cancelled (2145 Views)

Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition / How Is Joshua Dariye A Senator? - Has Efcc Exonorated Him? / EFCC And Governor Joshua Dariye of Plateau State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by babasin(m): 6:34pm On Mar 08, 2007
An appeal court in Nigeria's central Plateau State has reversed last November's impeachment of its state governor, Joshua Dariye.
--BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6431823.stm

Is OBJ fake empire now collapsing??
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by azorjiu(m): 6:37pm On Mar 08, 2007
Our judiciary is in a mess. Dariye the thief?
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by McKren(m): 7:08pm On Mar 08, 2007
Sorry for our Judiciary, they have now endorsed corruption. Ribadu should quit, go home and enjoy his life with his wife because Nigeria will not get anywhere like this.
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by toshmann(m): 7:25pm On Mar 08, 2007
welcome to a civil society. up judiciary. law and order make a society. cheesy

@mckren tongue
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by BigB11(m): 7:36pm On Mar 08, 2007
It is very important to understand the actuality of our problems in Nigeria.
Too many to prosecute for corruption; even the prosecutors are dirty as well.

We need to move on, implement better rules and strategies to restore things back to normal by establishing a new beginning.

But who is bold enough to make this happen effectively and efficiently?

Believe me, if we make a silly mistake, we will all be singing the same old song in four years time.

If you pay attention, you will realize that I've predicted this outcome in the past and I'm not a pastor or a scientist.

It doesn't take much to figure things out in Nigeria.
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by doshbass(m): 9:39pm On Mar 08, 2007
McKren:

Sorry for our Judiciary, they have now endorsed corruption. Ribadu should quit, go home and enjoy his life with his wife because Nigeria will not get anywhere like this.

lets be honest, just because we know that Dariye's is corrupt does not neccessarily mean that he was rightfully sacked, since when did 8 out of 24 become a majority vote? Only in Nigeria. That's is why the court ruled in his favour. if you want to sack someone, sack him the right way, and don't just rush and do a wuruwur job
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by mowapa(m): 9:47pm On Mar 08, 2007
@DOSHBASS

MY bro God bless u! I hate corruption, BUT MORE THAN anything I detest INJUSTICE.

Now lets do it the proper way. He has to go.
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by alabiyemmy(m): 9:52pm On Mar 08, 2007
what are you guys talking about?

The court only ruled that the process by which he was removed was illegal - the court never said he was not corrupt. Nigerians!!!

Big B1:

It is very important to understand the actuality of our problems in Nigeria.
Too many to prosecute for corruption; even the prosecutors are dirty as well.

We need to move on, implement better rules and strategies to restore things back to normal by establishing a new beginning.

But who is bold enough to make this happen effectively and efficiently?

Believe me, if we make a silly mistake, we will all be singing the same old song in four years time.

If you pay attention, you will realize that I've predicted this outcome in the past and I'm not a pastor or a scientist.

It doesn't take much to figure things out in Nigeria.

What is your panacea for the myriad of problems facing the country? The problem with Nigerians is that too many problems seers but very few problem solvers.
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by mazaje(m): 11:07pm On Mar 08, 2007
hmmmm i no fit shout again dariye back? thats absurd and, i dont even know what to say again
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by azorjiu(m): 11:21pm On Mar 08, 2007
is he really coming back? elections are next month and he didn't win nomination for a 3rd term. the ruling is not taking him back to the seat any way. the appeal will take another 3 months.
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by mazaje(m): 11:24pm On Mar 08, 2007
he is coming back to get arrested once his immunity expires on may 29th. the EFCC wont fail this time around
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by wiseguy(m): 12:06am On Mar 09, 2007
The Judiciary is really waking up to its responsibilities in Nigeria. Dariye is corrupt but removing him illegally (without regards to the constitution) also amounts to corruption. Any wanton disregard to the rule of law is corruption. You cannot fight corruption with corruption. EFCC should practice what they preach and stop making people like Dariye look like heroes at the end of the day.

All the same, It is not a victory for Dariye but victory for DUE PROCESS and RULE OF LAW.
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by McKren(m): 12:42am On Mar 09, 2007
mo wapa:

@DOSHBASS

MY bro God bless u! I hate corruption, BUT MORE THAN anything I detest INJUSTICE.

Now lets do it the proper way. He has to go.

Injustice to Dariye is not bigger than injustice to the people of plateau state. We have a slow justice system that has since the inception of this country never brought sanity in government. When you hold people accountable for their stewardship they now remember all sorts of law and what illegality is. What I simply don't understand is the legality of Dariye laundering over 1million pounds in one go to Britain.

People are dieing of hunger as a result of the activities of these men, in a country where the Governor successfully buy's over the state legislature I wonder what right way we will do it to bring justice to the ordinary man on the streets.

I weep for Nigeria, because we will not get anywhere like this. If Geovane Falconi waited for the provisions of the Law and its fairness Italy would have still been under the grip of the Mafia till date.
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by wiseguy(m): 8:32am On Mar 09, 2007
What is the Presidency and the National Assembly waiting to sponsor a bill that will abolish this immunity nonsense? People should be made accountable while holding public office. They should not hide under immunity to commit evil. If OBJ is very sincere with this anti-corruption crusade, he should have started with removing the immunity clause in the constitution since 1999. But it was obvious that he needed support of some of the Govs so he dare not touch that. And this puts a question mark on his stance on corruption.
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by kaycrystal(m): 8:43am On Mar 09, 2007
the naija system is flawed and until we address the fundamental issues, things will go the way they are going at the moment,

its not an obj problem, nor is it a dariye issue, its a lot more than that,

the naija solution wont come because we vote in or rigg in any certain individual,

the fundamentals needs to be addressed,

this is not victory for dariye, its not thumbs up for the judiciary, and neither is it shame to baba/ribadu,

dis just shows how far away we are frm the promised land, its still a long long walk to freedom,

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by angel101(f): 10:34am On Mar 09, 2007
This is incredible! in nigeria we take 1 step foward and 5 back! i doubt that there is a way out!
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by nigeriana(f): 11:32am On Mar 09, 2007
Nawa. Nigeria is just too much ( in the negative directtion of course)
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by FACE(m): 12:42pm On Mar 09, 2007
The function of the judiciary is interprete the law as it is and pass judgements on the case before it without prejudice.

If a judge is trying a man for traffic offences for example, he can not turn around and sentence the man for murder (even though the man may be guilty of murder ) because the case before him is for traffic offences and not murder.

We need to start getting things right and in the right order. I believe that Dariye is as guilty as sin judging by his escapades in the UK. However, he is protected by some shoddy immunity which comes to an end in a few weeks time and then he could be prosecuted accordingly. Our problem in Nigeria is that we tend to let all by-gones be by-gones and I suspect that would be the case when Dariye steps down.
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by oloba(m): 12:45pm On Mar 09, 2007

Now lets do it the proper way. He has to go, Same to me MO WAPA
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by agnesoseka: 12:54pm On Mar 09, 2007
Due Process!!!
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by amee07(f): 1:13pm On Mar 09, 2007
Hmm nija needs serious prayers at this stage. Dariye can never come back,
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by twinstaiye(m): 1:56pm On Mar 09, 2007
Those of you still saying due process is the right thing as the case of Dariye amazes me. Here is a state governor that was arrested in UK, and escaped to Nigeria. Instead of Nigeria government to remove him according to the law through the state of assembly, Dariye bought them over except a few of them. Now those that were bought over by Dariye were being investigated by EFCC, while the remaining ones impeach him. Now tell me, Was Dariye's impeachment need any more proof for the House Assembly? The truth is immediately he was arrested in UK and he escaped back to Nigeria, he should have been impeached, but because we all condone corruption in this country, we dont see that due process has been sidelined by the house of assembly because they were bribed, but when due process were sidelined when impeaching him, we are now shouting. He deserves what he get, and I am tired of our judiciary trying to sticking to the rule of law, even in the glaring episode of corruption. The further truth is, perhaps when the judiciary are at the receiving end of this corruption, there and then, they will know how to use morality when dispensing justice.
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by UncleLeem(m): 2:19pm On Mar 09, 2007
The political authorities rather than the judiciary is to blame for this unfortunate situation the whole process of democracy in nigeria has now found itself. If you are not loyal to obj, you termed all sorts of things including 'a thief'.magine the presidential cpaign in ibadan yesterday. obj, in his usual xteristics called Adedibu 'a dry fish that cannot be bent'. he insisted that adedibu cannot be reformed, hence, we should just manage him because, according to him, a child cannot chastise an elder for wrongdoing. is adedibu and alao-akala above the laws of the land? efcc has said that the pair (adedibu and akala) are corrupt. why are left roam the streets free! while others in the same category are hunted day and night. DOES NIGERIA BELONGS TO OBJ?
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by mowapa(m): 2:29pm On Mar 09, 2007
We can all agree Dariye is so corrupt even the deaf knows it,OK? but the process of bringing him to accountability is so shrouded in secrecy that it would amount to injustice and nullify what we are trying to accomplish in Nigeria. Emotion has no place in dispensing justice, i am as angry as anyone regards this issue but our sense of justice must triumph over this mindless and selective way of fighting this WAR.
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by UncleLeem(m): 2:55pm On Mar 09, 2007
no matter the offence of dariye, I insists that due process must be followed to uphold the principles of democracy and not to make a mockery of the whole process. in the same vein, I must also insist that there should be no sacred cows in order not to give any reason to the military to come back. the efcc should be made independent of the presidency
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by DRANOEL(m): 3:03pm On Mar 09, 2007
the rule of law above every other,due process wasnt followed
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by Afam(m): 3:05pm On Mar 09, 2007
Dariye has a case to answer no doubt but the issue here is the method used in his removal which was very strange and unfortunate. Only six members of the state house of assembly represented the majority, imagine.

After May 29, we shall know how far with those that immunity clauses are currently protecting while they loot Nigeria dry.
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by Blow(m): 3:25pm On Mar 09, 2007
Another thumps up for the rule of law & the judiciary
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by beau1(f): 3:29pm On Mar 09, 2007
Kudos to the Judiciary once again.  Our law-makers need to be schooled on the act of legislation before they make a complete mess of the hard-earned democracy of Nigeria that cost many lives to gain else posterity will never never i say) forgive them.

Fine, Dariye is a public thief.  Let the right procedure be followed in getting him pay for his 'thiefings'.  Dont let us make injustice or jungle justice acceptable in our polity
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by omofineboy(m): 3:38pm On Mar 09, 2007
Hmm, most of us have said it severally, due process must be followed. Dariye's may have stolen all Nigeria's money put together but still we have  to follow due process, the courts have not said he didnt steal, all the courts said was that the process of removing him was wrong, period. we have said same thing in the case of Atiku, Not that Atiku didnt steal but the way OBJ is going about it cant stand the test of justice, OBJ is wrong, he is crude and wicked. if you know someone is corrupt why dont you follow the right and acceptable way of dealing with the person, this country has laws that must be followed, the essence of jusdiciary.

Atiku has just won another court case, I bet you he will continue in that trend except OBJ has a rethink and follow due process, there is definitely a difference between  fact and  truth, the courts are not naturally there to uphold the truth which may be hidden and difficult atimes but facts.

So let the most corrupt President in the world OBJ follow due process in dealing with his fellow comrades in thiefing so that due process will be followed in dealing with him by the time he would have left office.
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by angel101(f): 4:11pm On Mar 09, 2007
Is there any reason y Dariye after being impeached by whatever number of legislators was not immediately arrested and prosecuted according to the rule of law?
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by kelvin(m): 5:16pm On Mar 09, 2007
There is no need losing sleep over this Dariye issue. Anyway, the court was ruling on Dariye's impeachment, not his crime. Whatever reason Dariye was not arrested and prosecuted after his impeachment is not known to us, but certainly, the judiciary is not to blame. Congratulations to Dariye on his victory, I hope the few more weeks he has to stay in power is put to good use, because after that, its straight to prison for his crimes against Plateu in particular and Nigeria in general.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Immigration Boss Becomes First African On Icao's Board / Ibibio The Land Of Honour / The Problem With Nigeria Is Nigerians - Bad Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.