Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,834 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:55 PM

Students Are Dying In Silence! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Students Are Dying In Silence! (535 Views)

Chrisland Breaks Silence On Sex Scandal, 5 Pupils Misbehaved In Dubai / Akwa Ibom Science College Where Students Are Raised In Squalour / 7 Reasons Why Polytechnic Students Are Rated 2nd Class Student. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Students Are Dying In Silence! by Dayo4real12: 11:15am On Mar 07, 2018
Its apparently clear that the strike embarked upon by the non-teaching staff of Universities have significantly paralysed some of the University activities. Although am of the opinion that strike is not the only means of expressing grievances to the government but in Nigeria is the language which government understand better.

I was called on phone by one of the M.Sc graduates here in ATBU who spoke almost in tears asking me about when to suspend the ongoing strike to enable her collect the statement of result. well, I sympathised with Saudat because she desperately need the result probably for her promotion.

It was just three weeks ago when somebody missed a foreign scholarship due to the non presentation of his B.Eng. degree certificate. This was as a result of the ongoing strike.

A lady speaks "sir when are you resuming, I need my transcript". Oh! Gosh! She need it to process her admission in one of the Universities in Malaysia. She may probably miss the admission due to the ongoing strike.

It is obvious that those who graduated in 2016/2017 Session are yet to collect their statement of result and by extension they will not go for NYSC.

2. From the students perspective the strike have negatively affected the students even though the academic staff counterpart CLAIMED that things are going on smoothly. Sometimes I just laugh. OK here we go.

All the Universities medical centres were shut down due to the ongoing strike as such medical services are not provided. For instance in Bauchi, this week there was a reported case of cholera outbreak and it may likely find its way to ATBU, therefore both the parents and students were exposed to severe hardship due to the absence of medical personnel.

It was reported that in BUK, UNIABUJA etc students undergoes series of hardship due to the absence of water operators, in fact they spent huge amount of money in buying pure water sachets. Ladies travelled to a far distant place to fetch water.

Students used their torch light to read at University of Ibadan and UNIMAID due to the absence of generator operators. In fact students were in darkness.

The University computer centres were locked due to the ongoing strike. In this case students can't have access to free internet for their assignments.

In BUK, students hostel were poorly maintained. It smells badly. In fact one of the lecturers told me that sometimes students engage the services of Almajiri boys to clean their toilets.

Interms of sporting activities and competitions every thing is now on halt due to the ongoing strike. In addition students don't get access to University buses for their excursion.

Due to the absence of University technologist and technicians some of the practical sessions cannot be possible, in fact some Universities conduct exams without practicals, imagine!

3. The strike also affects the fellow staff of the University.

Some of the staff entitlements were not paid due to the absence of bursary staff.

The staff school was closed as such children of staff were stranded because academic activities was disrupted.

Due to the absence of University drivers, the directors, Deans etc have to drive themselves to office.

4. The strike of non-teaching staff also prevents Universities from getting a lot of money. For instance in ATBU, ideally postgraduate students needs to pay reasonable percentage of their school fees before they were allowed to sit for 2nd semester exams, but due to the absence non-teaching staff in the School postgraduate studies who should verify their payments, some PG students successfully wrote their exams without paying dime. A lady told me that "i enjoyed this strike-munchi bulus" This is at the detriment of the University.

5. In addition, the strike may probably affects the conduct of JAMB exams.

In essence University system cannot be fully operational without the input of the non-teaching staff. Both the teaching and non-teaching staff have a role to play towards making the system worthwhile. The academic staff should stop deceiving themselves that the system can function effectively even without non-teaching staff. This is for the interest of the students, because they are the one at the receiving end.

I urge the FG to look into the demands of non-teaching and to facilitate bringing an end to the strike, because, STUDENTS ARE DYING IN SILENCE!

Y. H. GITAL
(Assistant Registrar, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi)

1 Like

Re: Students Are Dying In Silence! by Dayo4real12: 11:16am On Mar 07, 2018
Mod please
Re: Students Are Dying In Silence! by frankosivue(m): 8:07am On Nov 10, 2018
Too bad

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

ABU Zaria To Establish Refineries In Niger Delta / Perhaps Vs Peradventure / KWASU Post-utme 2018 Screening Form Is Out(all Necessary Informations Available)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.