Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,373 members, 7,853,667 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 09:13 PM

Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad (1651 Views)

(Full List) Golden Eaglets FIFA U17 World Cup Squad / Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! / Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by honeric01(m): 8:23am On Apr 29, 2010
Posted: 2010-04-28 12:12

Lars Lagerback knows 'eighty percent' of his World Cup squad, despite having never had a day of training with the team, according to Super Eagles Media Officer Idah Peterside.

Early this month, the Swede named a provisional squad of 44 players for a training camp in England. That list was to be pruned to 30 after the training camp, but failed to happen as European clubs would not release players in the decisive final few days of the season.

Lagerback will now only meet up with his squad for the first time on May 20 in Abuja, eight days after the FIFA deadline for participating countries at the World Cup to submit a provisional list of 30 to Zurich.

But Peterside says that would be no problem.

"He knows the majority of the team he wants to take to the World Cup, about eighty percent," the Media Officer told KickOffNigeria.com.

"Since he took the job, he has travelled to about 10 countries and watched a lot of the players. He has also looked at the tapes of most of the games the team have played in the last two years and he has a good idea of who he wants at the World Cup."

Of the remaining twenty per cent, Peterside said it was to allow for contingencies.

"Other players must get a chance to try to break into the team for the World Cup, and the remaining spaces are for those players to convince the coach that they are good enough."

Nigeria are pooled in Group B with Argentina, Greece and South Korea.

http://kickoffnigeria.com/news/15106/lagerback-knows-80-of-wc-squad.php

I can't shout grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by semid4lyfe(m): 1:14pm On Apr 29, 2010
Don't you know 80% of the World cup squad? Just check the 23-man list u made up. . .I'm sure at least 18 of the players on your list will make Lagerback's list too.
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by honeric01(m): 1:20pm On Apr 29, 2010
Same of the same, waiting to see why he worths #30m
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by hollandis(f): 2:28pm On Apr 29, 2010
I hope he means 80% surprises
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by Kgdavid(m): 5:44pm On Apr 29, 2010
this is esxactly what i was saying! everybody with half a brain should be able to predict 80% of the team. by the dictates of common sense alone, all other factors being equal, every country is expected to pick its highest profile players. like i said the training camp is less about knowing their ability than it is about gettin them to play his strategy. what is strange about this?? the difference between largerback and amodu will not be about which players they pick(bar one or two players) but in the way they use those players. nigerias problem is tactical not individual quality.
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by hollandis(f): 6:42pm On Apr 29, 2010
Kgdavid:

this is esxactly what i was saying! everybody with half a brain should be able to predict 80% of the team. by the dictates of common sense alone, all other factors being equal, every country is expected to pick its highest profile players. like i said the training camp is less about knowing their ability than it is about gettin them to play his strategy. what is strange about this?? the difference between largerback and amodu will not be about which players they pick(bar one or two players) but in the way they use those players. nigerias problem is tactical not individual quality.
Individual factor or quality is the main issue w ith super eagles.We have an array of stars,we need tactics to an extent though
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by Kgdavid(m): 7:35pm On Apr 29, 2010
trust me the greatest problem is from the coaching side. if the players are not good then there is nothing we can do to make them good but nigerian players are good. no one can tell me yusuf ayila is not a good player because i have watched him play for his club side against such european giants as lyon and real madrid and he held his own comfortably in fact this fela was offered ukrainian citizenship just to play for their national team. no one can tell me dickson etuhu is not good because i watch him from time to time playing for fulham and im always impressed. the list goes on, what we need is a coach who will bring them together in the best possible way. a team > a collection of stars.
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by 12large: 1:08am On Apr 30, 2010
so idit like kydavid how many goals have useless etuhu or ayila scored, how many times have they dribbled or gave any good pass. if your using etuhu and ayila as reference that nigeria players are good you must be mad.
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by moonraker(m): 5:41am On Apr 30, 2010
12 large

what all due respect to you, Dickson etuhu is a defensive midfielder so lets just forget abt goals, secondly, i think you try and see

what that guy does on the field for his club. he scored a goal against juventus in the uefa cup quater final clash. he made a whole del piero look

ordinary in same game. same goes for yusuf ayinla, odiah, etc. we have the players i swear. on a good day, we will draw or even beat argentina,

but we lack the technical imput which is where lagerbeer comes in, hopefully he can do a much better job, i am still very optimistic,
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by 12large: 6:36am On Apr 30, 2010
of course i know he is a defensive midfilder, but why is someone using him and ayila as reference when they are poor players.
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by kcjazz(m): 7:06am On Apr 30, 2010
12large:

of course i know he is a defensive midfilder, but why is someone using him and ayila as reference when they are poor players.
I really hope you are joking right? Ayila or Etuhu are defensive mid fielders, their coaches would prefer they cover there tracks rather than score goals. The failure rate in soccer career is huge, so as long as one is paid to play for a club, then they must have something maybe we dont use them well and that is what kgdavid is talking about. Our problem is tactical and a lack of leadership.
Cool down and stop calling kgdavid names.
honeric01:

Same of the same, waiting to see why he worths #30m

Same of the same is for continuity and good transition, remember 2002. Just Yobo,Kanu,Utaka and standby Osaze are available today. Who are the new players you want? Coach is paid because of his tactical intelligence and brand. Whats the difference between a Nike shoe and any other shoe? grin
Lets wait and see.
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by Kgdavid(m): 7:17am On Apr 30, 2010
^ well said. glad to see i am not the only one with basic understanding of the game. when Alex Ferguson took over at manchester united in the late eighties, man united were 18th in the league. without buying a single new player he took united to 13th the next season. again without buying a single new player he took united to 2nd the season after that. gentlemen i put it to you that a team is only as great as its coach.
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by semid4lyfe(m): 7:23am On Apr 30, 2010
kcjazz:

I really hope you are joking right? Ayila or Etuhu are defensive mid fielders, their coaches would prefer they cover there tracks rather than score goals. The failure rate in soccer career is huge, so as long as one is paid to play for a club, then they must have something maybe we dont use them well and that is what kgdavid is talking about. Our problem is tactical and a lack of leadership.
Cool down and stop calling kgdavid names.

+1. . .Just not sure a dimwit like 12large understands a word of what you posted cos his brain leaks worse than a basket and doesn't retain much. Left to him, a team should comprise of 11 attacking midfielders.

Pathetic!
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by honeric01(m): 9:02am On Apr 30, 2010
kcjazz:

Same of the same is for continuity and good transition, remember 2002. Just Yobo,Kanu,Utaka and standby Osaze are available today. Who are the new players you want? Coach is paid because of his tactical intelligence and brand. Whats the difference between a Nike shoe and any other shoe? grin
Lets wait and see.

Stop jumping the gun bro, which tactical intelligence is largerback known for? can you tell me his records? well, i don't want us to dwell on these, just as i said, he's still same of the same until he proves why he's worth being paid #30million per month.

so let's wait and see.
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by semid4lyfe(m): 10:30am On Apr 30, 2010
Quote From Honeric
Stop jumping the gun bro, which tactical intelligence is largerback known for? can you tell me his records? well, i don't want us to dwell on these, just as i said, he's still same of the same until he proves why he's worth being paid #30million per month.
so let's wait and see.

Exactly! Wait and see and Stop nagging & grumbling up and down. . . .You can't accuse him of tactical deficiency just as you can't vouch for his tactical intelligence. Wait until the world cup starts and then you can determine whether he's worth the N30 million/month or not. Like se na only you dey pay tax for this country sef?. . . . . . grin grin grin grin
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by snakova(m): 12:42pm On Apr 30, 2010
honeric01:

so let's wait and see.
maybe Lagerback is just an unpainted Amodu. We shall soon see
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by honeric01(m): 8:32pm On Apr 30, 2010
@semid
I'm trying not to get angry with u, whats ur problem with me? I have the right to criticize whoever i want to criticize as long as he's a civil servant and as long as i feel his actions are not on the right direction so stop policing me for your own good. If u feel i'm nagging, u've the right to shut up, ignore my comments or suck up.
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by Odunnu: 9:21pm On Apr 30, 2010
I'm seekin ur attn.Did u take any action on my mail?
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by honeric01(m): 11:46pm On Apr 30, 2010
Odunnu:

I'm seekin your attn.Did u take any action on my mail?

ok, will get back to you, sorry for the delay. cool wink
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by seankay(m): 9:01am On May 01, 2010
12large:

so idit like kydavid how many goals have useless etuhu or ayila scored, how many times have they dribbled or gave any good pass. if your using etuhu and ayila as reference that nigeria players are good you must be mad.a
u must be a fool! didnt u c etuhu's screamer against man city last season? He also scored against juve dis season.Ayila has scored 2 goals 4 d national team.Mr fool,wat z d meaning of DMF
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by moonraker(m): 9:17am On May 01, 2010
seankay

i am getting alit bit confused, will check my dictionary now
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by semid4lyfe(m): 3:29pm On May 01, 2010
honeric01:

@semid
I'm trying not to get angry with u, whats your problem with me? I have the right to criticize whoever i want to criticize as long as he's a civil servant and as long as i feel his actions are not on the right direction so stop policing me for your own good. If u feel i'm nagging, u've the right to shut up, ignore my comments or suck up.
Bros, abeg coolu temper o. . . as u can see my post was punctuated with smileys so u nor suppose take me too serious u hear?

Na lie. . .I meant what I posted. Oya, ban me if you fit grin grin grin
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by 12large: 5:23pm On May 01, 2010
fool how many screamer have the useless etuhu or ayila scored for nigeria, where was the useless etuhu and ayila in nations cup, allowing a 35 year old egyptian to boss them
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by honeric01(m): 5:33pm On May 01, 2010
semid4lyfe:

Bros, abeg coolu temper o. . . as u can see my post was punctuated with smileys so u nor suppose take me too serious u hear?

Na lie. . .I meant what I posted. Oya, ban me if you fit grin grin grin

you don smoke ewedu leaves grin grin grin, that is what is making you misbehave cool cool
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by Kgdavid(m): 6:19pm On May 01, 2010
@12large who would you like to see in the midfield for nigeria?
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by 12large: 6:49pm On May 01, 2010
i would like too see rabiu ibrahim and emmanuel ekpo, but since hey did not call them up we should just use 2 midfilders haruna lukman 10 and mikel 4. all these 3 defensive midfilders in a game is rubbish
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by seankay(m): 8:23pm On May 01, 2010
@mr 12large do u know wat is called tactics? compare etuhu nd ayila's game at club level 2 d national team.ekpo should move 2 europe,he is nt even a starter 4 his club.
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by Kgdavid(m): 11:32pm On May 01, 2010
12large:

i would like too see rabiu ibrahim and emmanuel ekpo, but since hey did not call them up we should just use 2 midfilders haruna lukman 10 and mikel 4. all these 3 defensive midfilders in a game is rubbish

what role would mikel be playing in such a formation
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by 12large: 3:31am On May 02, 2010
mikel would be playing in his position number 4 but i don't think the future of our number 4 is with mikel, i think nwankwo or azeez will have it for a long time but for the main time mikel should play as a dm
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by honeric01(m): 2:13pm On May 02, 2010
Five spots left in Nigeria squad

There are only five spots open for grabs in Lars Lagerback's Nigeria squad for the World Cup, after team media officer Idah Peterside told SuperSport.com that the Swede knows 'eighty percent' of his final team.

That is roughly 18 of the 23 players that will be selected for the World Cup in June.

Lagerback will cut down a 44-man provisional squad to 30 ahead of Fifa's May 12 deadline for all participating teams to send in their preliminary squad lists.

Trouble is, the former Sweden coach will have to do so without having met his team as a group, but Peterside said it was not an issue.

"He knows the majority of the team he wants to take to the World Cup, about eighty percent," the media officer said.

Peterside said Lagerback knows the players from having visited them, watching tapes and speaking with them on the phone.

"Since he took the job, he has travelled to about 10 countries and watched a lot of the players. He has also looked at the tapes of most of the games the team have played in the last two years and he has a good idea of who he wants at the World Cup.

"Other players must get a chance to try to break into the team for the World Cup, and the remaining spaces are for those players to convince the coach that they are good enough."

Nigeria open their World Cup campaign on June 12 against Argentina.

© SuperSport.com
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by Kgdavid(m): 3:10pm On May 02, 2010
12large:

mikel would be playing in his position number 4 but i don't think the future of our number 4 is with mikel, i think nwankwo or azeez will have it for a long time but for the main time mikel should play as a dm

reasonable enough. in certain matches there would be a need for a greater physical presence though and etuhu is perfect for that.
Re: Lars Lagerback Knows 80% Of World Cup Squad by otokx(m): 3:34pm On May 02, 2010
I see this guy absconding some days to the world cup; he has started singing different tunes.

(1) (2) (Reply)

13 Nigerian Footballers Face Deportation In Ukraine / The World's Highest Goalscoring Keeper Scores A Free-kick / Bet247 Predictions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.