Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,356 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:23 PM

A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn (22658 Views)

5-Star Luxurious Ram & Goat Barn With AC & DSTV (Photos, Video) / A Farmer Killed Huge Python In His Farm In Rivers State (Photos) / A Nigerian Farmer Displays His Harvested Cassava From His Farm, Hails Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by ariesbull: 1:14pm On Mar 10, 2018
Yam, the staple crop in the South Eastern part of Nigeria has been celebrated, wanted in some places used for venerations. Igbos are known to be more of technocrats and businessmen but they still have their farming skills still intact. Great Igbo farmers are known by titles such as Ezeji ( king of yams) Ogbuji ( Killer of Yams) and many more, these are few of the names that demonstrates the sagacity of igbos and their farming prowess.

https://etimes.com.ng/a-farmer-proudly-displays-his-harvest-and-yam-barn/

With modern living and rural urban migrations, this has seen many farmlands in Igbo land been used for developmental projects such as schools and hospitals ,but land for farming is always there. The traditions Igbo farmer loves his food crops organic and he grows them organically with little fertilisers.

In his chat with us, Robert Nwokoro said that "Perhaps you 've been looking for a perfect depiction of Achebe's Okonkwo, I present to you my own Okonkwo: Chief Andrew Okoro Aja, the Patriarch of Aja family. He is my father, very industrious and conservative. This year's harvest is surplus! The man is just extra-ordinary! "

This method of storage has depicted efficiency and value chain. The storage levees little to be wasted and inexpensive. The food crops are stored outside and it doesn't take billions to construct. The yams are sorted and graded ,then stored. The Igbo prefer growing their food organically with little need for fertilisers. It has been noted that yams grown with fertilisers don't last long and this barn last as long as two years ! The Igbo farmer can achieve this by playing the right specie and growing them organically.

Another thing that is of important note here is harvest, the farmer could harvest this because the herdsmen are not there and they don't want the herdsmen to be there. The nightmarish experience the farmers across the country are witnessing in the country especially within the food belt areas of North Central has affected agro revolutions and food production leaving the citizens for the option of political revolution. With the insecurity around, farmers from these regions can't achieve these feat, not that they are lazy, far from it but because the environment isn't enabling.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by vickysly: 1:21pm On Mar 10, 2018
Hard work pays . . Igbo amaka

63 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by Okoroawusa: 1:25pm On Mar 10, 2018
There is an Igbo saying that goes thus:"You first have to praise the farmer for a job well done before you ask him for a yam"

Eze ji Ndewo!!!

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by morikee: 1:31pm On Mar 10, 2018
Space for sale.

1 Like

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by kennosklint(m): 1:31pm On Mar 10, 2018
Where is my share
Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by IgboticGirl(f): 1:32pm On Mar 10, 2018
cool cool cool cool
Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by chukxy44(m): 1:32pm On Mar 10, 2018
This type of pictures was what I was used to growing up during harvest period, now we show case trash online. Tumps up to the hard working farmer, may your barns never run dry

24 Likes

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by Beety26(f): 1:32pm On Mar 10, 2018
Oba ji

10 Likes

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by daviefm(m): 1:32pm On Mar 10, 2018
OYA, SHOW UR FARM
SNAKE NO DEY THERE TO SWALLOW UR YAM?
Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by LilSmith55(m): 1:33pm On Mar 10, 2018
Omo.... See money

2 Likes

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by dignitate: 1:34pm On Mar 10, 2018
Hard work met creativity on the way! grin

1 Like

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by DIYhackers: 1:36pm On Mar 10, 2018
I like the arrangement
The wahala no easy but the harvest dey sweet

1 Like

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by Nobody: 1:37pm On Mar 10, 2018
Wow nice one.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by Swagzlord01(m): 1:38pm On Mar 10, 2018
nice one
Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by brainpulse: 1:38pm On Mar 10, 2018
This are real igbos not the fake online, lazy, 419, drug traffickers and jewish idol worshipers

14 Likes

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by Wiseandtrue(f): 1:39pm On Mar 10, 2018
9ce

1 Like

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by samsononyilo(m): 1:39pm On Mar 10, 2018
Efcc should visit him, Jonathan planted those yams In his farm...

3 Likes

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by samsononyilo(m): 1:39pm On Mar 10, 2018
Efcc should visit him, Jonathan planted those yams In his farm..

1 Like

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by Chukazu: 1:41pm On Mar 10, 2018
But this yam bans are common in the East though,it is just ignorant folks who think people don't farm in the East

15 Likes

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by agabusta: 1:41pm On Mar 10, 2018
Nice one. This is serious hard work. Kudos to the farmer.

But we need to look for a way to mechanize this yam farming.

We can't continue doing things the usual way.

Other developed countries have gone ahead of us simply because they have been able to come up with machines that can improve human efforts multiple times over.

1 Like

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by oPPOSEE: 1:45pm On Mar 10, 2018
nice one .

but I only eat JI iyooo

1 Like

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by Pharaoh001(f): 1:46pm On Mar 10, 2018
upon all the crisis fulani herdsman they cause....God got your back and protect you and your crops until you harvested everything.... The man is really lucky...
Which of HIS favour will you deny?

1 Like

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by FisifunKododada: 1:46pm On Mar 10, 2018
cool Great man
Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by ariesbull: 1:47pm On Mar 10, 2018
Wao

3 Likes

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by Ellabae(f): 1:48pm On Mar 10, 2018
Good harvest. Yam don dey hungry me.

1 Like

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by hollywater: 1:49pm On Mar 10, 2018
Now Fulanies herdsmen will come and cut it down for there Cows to feed on.When they talk,they will be killed. One nige ria.

7 Likes

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by hollywater: 1:50pm On Mar 10, 2018
Ogbu Igi sir.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by potent5(m): 1:55pm On Mar 10, 2018
Man, this is something!

7 Likes

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by omoiyalayi(m): 1:56pm On Mar 10, 2018
Kudos papa

I join you to thank God for the harvest

Thank God Fulani herdsmen killer no reach your side

It's this kind of harvest they have denied other farmers due to killings farmers and burning of their farm

2 Likes

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by mrsfavour(f): 1:57pm On Mar 10, 2018
Beety26:
Oba ji
on point sis.

2 Likes

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by Nobody: 2:04pm On Mar 10, 2018
See my favorite type of food being display. Obaji.

1 Like

Re: A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn by aylipple: 2:06pm On Mar 10, 2018
I just love how those yams are stacked; makes me imagine how Okonkwo's yam barn in late Chinua Achebe's classic "Things Fall Apart" were stacked.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Aliko Dangote Endorses D’banj’s “koko Garri” / My Maize Farm Journey / CATFISH Whatsapp Sales Portal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.