Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,229 members, 7,849,831 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 10:23 AM

“I Almost Died” Serena Williams Narrates Her Pregnancy Experience - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / “I Almost Died” Serena Williams Narrates Her Pregnancy Experience (308 Views)

Lebron James, Serena Williams, Tom Brady, Kim K. Attend Messi's Debut Match / Disney Style, Serena Williams Wedding Gown Revealed (Photos) / Serena Williams Weds Alexis Ohanian In An All-Star Guest List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

“I Almost Died” Serena Williams Narrates Her Pregnancy Experience by Naijasportsng: 8:34am On Mar 12, 2018
23-time Grand Slam singles winner, Serena Williams is returning to the WTA Tour six months after she “almost died” giving birth.

Williams, 36, suffered a pulmonary embolism after her first child was delivered by Caesarean section.

The American says it may be time for women to “to get feisty and stand up”.

“Doctors aren’t listening to us, just to be quite frank,” Williams told the BBC as she competed in the Tiebreak Tens event in New York.

It is “heartbreaking” black women in the United States are more likely than white women to die from complications in pregnancy or childbirth, says Serena.

“It may be time for women to be comfortable with having uncomfortable conversations.

“I was in a really fortunate situation where I know my body well, and I am who I am, and I told the doctor: ‘I don’t feel right, something’s wrong.’ She immediately listened.

“She was great. I had a wonderful, wonderful doctor. Unfortunately a lot of African Americans and black people don’t have the same experience that I’ve had.

“Also there are some things we are genetically pre-disposed to that some people aren’t. So knowing that going in, or some doctors not caring as much for us, is heartbreaking.

“Because of what I went through, it would be really difficult if I didn’t have the healthcare that I have – and to imagine all the other women that do go through that without the same healthcare, without the same response, it’s upsetting.”

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, black women in the United States are more than three times as likely as white women to die during pregnancy or childbirth.

https://www.naijasports.ng/tennis/2018/03/i-almost-died-serena-williams-narrates-her-pregnancy-experience-as-heartbreaking/

Re: “I Almost Died” Serena Williams Narrates Her Pregnancy Experience by cinoedhunter: 8:36am On Mar 12, 2018
I respect women.... there's no world without them .... smiley
Re: “I Almost Died” Serena Williams Narrates Her Pregnancy Experience by YOUNGELDER1(m): 8:48am On Mar 12, 2018
Beautiful mom & Daughter . Respect

(1) (Reply)

France Coach: Pogba “Cannot Be Happy" At Manchester United / Know About Politics How Much You Want To Know / Breaking! Barcelona, Manchester City Knock Out Of Champions League

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.