Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,744 members, 7,824,144 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Enabling African Prosperity Through STEM – Lucy Quist - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Enabling African Prosperity Through STEM – Lucy Quist (342 Views)

A Current Flaw In Apple Pay Is Enabling Attackers Perform Unauthorized Contactle / Scientists Have Connected The Brains Of 3 People, Enabling Them To Share Thought / Enabling Financial Inclusion: A Multi-agency Approach By Prof. Umar Danbatta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Enabling African Prosperity Through STEM – Lucy Quist by abbakin: 12:00pm On Mar 12, 2018
Enabling African Prosperity Through STEM – by Lucy Quist

I am an unashamed advocate for greater participation in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).

Corporate experience has taught me that young people insufficiently engage with STEM. While life experience has taught me that we live in an age where the fundamental pillars of sustained prosperity are built on a foundation of STEM.

Have you ever heard people talk about the luck of the draw? I view this through the lens of where people are born. Too many people in Africa are born into circumstances that mean they have limited opportunity to realise their potential and create prosperity for themselves. Prosperity that means they thrive through life and not just survive it.

The formula is pretty simple: Good healthcare means a mother can healthily carry a baby to full term. It also means the baby will survive childhood.

Good education means they will have a chance to explore their talents (everyone has something to offer) and realise their potential. Realised potential should be exercised through job opportunities that provide the stability for the individuals to live progressive lives. So why is what I say simply not being actualised?

I have found that around the world, including right here in Africa, we have collectively come to assume a narrative that subconsciously operates on the notion that, a little is ok for the African. The focus is on improving current circumstances and not on what should be.

I often wonder what would happen if each African country came up with a business plan that determined when and how much it would cost to build the foundation for prosperity that will touch all of its citizens?

To be very clear, I see a number of countries in Africa with leaders who are genuinely working on improving the circumstances of their people. What I am referring to is more akin to a business plan that the entire country buys into.

In business, we typically assess the environment – our assets and liabilities, do a SWOT analysis, look at competition and understand trends.

Keep reading here: Enabling African Prosperity Through STEM

(1) (Reply)

Fix Window Defender Error | Error 577 Using Action Center / 11 Powerful Ways Of Increasing Your Instagram Followers In 2018 / What's Hiding Behind The Blinding Sun Simulator ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.